test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Character selection screen shows the wrong uniform INVESTIGATING

valoreahvaloreah Member Posts: 11,726 Arc User
edited November 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I'm experiencing a bug on several of my characters where their uniform is not the one they are wearing at the character selection screen.

Basically, I have all my FED characters set up in the Oddy uniform. However, at the character select, a few of them are shown wearing anything from the TNG film uniform to the full M.A.C.O. costume.

Soon as I log in and beam down to a ground map, I'm in the correct uniform.

Not a gamebreaking bug, yet still an irritant.
Dear Devs: I enjoyed the Legacy of Romulus expansion much more than the Delta Rising expansion. .
thecosmic1 wrote:
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by valoreah on

Comments

• hoppy02hoppy02 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I also have the same issue, dam annoying.

I'm also seeing my Characters appear in cut-scenes in the original uniform that I created them in, which none of them now have.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Same here.
    But since it's not some kind of gamebreaker or is in some way beneficial for us I don't expect a fix anytime sooon.
  • heero139heero139 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've found that if I log out on a space map, the character select screen will often (maybe always? I haven't paid enough attention to know for sure) show no class icon and put my character in their costume which is in the first costume slot, regardless of which was being worn while I was last logged in.

Is this what's happening to you guys?
    Zekkie@h33r0yuy
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, something like that. But the thing is it got worse.

It started a long time ago with one romulan. When I logged out on a space map he was shown with an old uniform he didn't wear and wasn't even in his saved outfits

I once deleted all oufits for all charatcers I saved and made him a comlete new one, just to make sure it can't be loaded from a wrong slot or something like that but that outfit still appears at the character selection screen and during cutscenes. :confused:

And since a while (maybe 1 or 2 weeks) all charcaters show the wrong uniform at the character selection screen. I think it still worked properly after the DR release and just broke recently but I'm not entirely sure either.

Like I said earlier, it's not a gamebreaker just an odd bug.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm seeing an intermittent issue where my main character will be wearing her #1 uniform slot on the character select screen sometimes when she is wearing a different slot in-game at my last log-out.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This is probably down to one of two issues:

1) Captains often wear their first costume slot despite what is currently equipped

2) If you have boffs that are wearing outfits saved with exactly the same name, then odd things happen on the character select screen, so make sure every outfit has its own unique name.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    The login screen tries to keep track of the last costume you wore. If you're on a ground map, it's the last ground costume you wore. If you're on a space map, your ship is "you". If you log out from a space map, technically the last costume you "wore" was your ship; so if you log out from a space map, the login screen defaults to ground costume #1.

There are bugs too, but this just adds to the confusion.
    edited November 2014
    I've never seen that before Delta Rising.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • splattysplatty Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The bug came in when they introduced the new char selection screen (season 8?), I reported it way back when it was still on tribble and it got ignored then and has been ignored ever since even thou I have raised it (and several other bugs) occasionally.

Having a bugs forum is a nice gesture on their part but don't expect any reported bugs to be actually fixed...:rolleyes:
  • cdrbaercdrbaer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I am experiencing the same bug.. and its annoying.

Every time I log out when my Char is on ground - the login screen is correctly displaying the correct uniform that I was wearing the moment I logged out.

Every time I log out when being in space - the login screen is showing a uniform i was wearing months ago.. while still leveling up. (This outfit doesnt even exist anymore in any of my costume slots. but the game persists to use it whenever my char is logged out in space).

In addition the same wrong uniform appearance from the above point is used by the game in every cutscene that my character appears in.

I have Created a new char and followed a trail where this problem starts to creep up:

In a new char. you start with ONE costume slot... and another free one that you first have to create. (or two if you happen to be in a fleet).

As long as you DONT create additional costume slots. but go with the one that your char starts with - everything is fine. The login screen and cutscenes will always use the correct uniform you are wearing (whether or not you logged out in space).

In the very moment you dare to create a second costume slot... the game litterally "saves" your current appearance from your first costume slot.. and from that moment on always falls back to using this saved one whenever you happen to log out in space or do appear in a cutscene.

And if that error occurs theres no way for you to change that wrongly saved uniform.. even if you change your first costume slot. The one the game persists so use is an "invisible" costume slot.. with a time freeze at the momend you dared to open the 2nd slot.

I hope this will be fixed sometime soon.
    Cryptig should cater to roleplayers one in a while... Im tired of seeing me in cutscenes wearing a Commanders uniform when they are Adressing me as "Admiral"...
  • rainingbellsrainingbells Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't know if this should be it's own thread but I've had a different shade of this happening progressively the last couple of weeks. My Klingon swapped her uniform for a day and then went back. Space, ground, didn't (and doesn't) seem to matter on my end.

It happened with my Romulan a couple of days later with her entire crew not showing new uniforms I'd put together for them, and then everyone but her was wearing the new uniforms. That was followed almost a week ago by my Orion male TAC suddenly becoming a clone of my Klingon female SCI. I tried to fix it by taking out the Klingon and Orion and putting in two other characters but that just seemed to make things worse. Since then I'll get two characters and two clones of one of them. Each clone will behave as they should be (holding a rifle, using a tricorder, etc), they'll just be the wrong character. I even tried swapping around the name placement in the roster for the one being cloned, loading in only ones who have created clones and those who have never been cloned. Right now my Klingon and Romulan female SCIs look like my Reman female tac.

I don't know if any of it's related but the faction insignias next to the characters' names have been disappearing and reappearing for about a month (I only started playing in September but that's what first started going weird on the character screen), followed by the uniform glitch. When that started happening sometimes my character would not even show up (though the boffs would) and instead he or she would be replaced by a second shot of his or her starship at an above 3/4 angle near the bottom of the screen, and right now my Fed is sporting the Klingon insignia behind the ship/fleet/location listing (though he's been replaced by the ship before, there's never been a uniform or cloning issue on the Fed side).

It's like my entire character screen is falling apart piece-by-piece.
  • crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2014
    Verified that if one logs off on a space map, character select will display your default slot 1 costume and will not show the character's icon. If you log off on a ground map, the character's current costume and icon will display in character select.

Thanks for the reports.
    STO QA Team
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Verified that if one logs off on a space map, character select will display your default slot 1 costume and will not show the character's icon. If you log off on a ground map, the character's current costume and icon will display in character select.

Thanks for the reports.

Was actually kinda hoping this one was working as intended. I liked seeing them in their captain's uniform when I logged off in space (I usually have them in different outfits on the ground).
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Never even thought this was a bug, just assumed it was completely normal. I mean, who really cares which outfit your character is wearing on a character selection screen? There are bigger things wrong with the game right now, like Defera.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • veryth12veryth12 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    On a releated problem, my liberated borg romulan will be wearing the wrong outfit when I get to cut scenes. This has been really irritating because it uses the uniform/look she had when I first made her, and I have drastically changed the way she looks since then.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Never even thought this was a bug, just assumed it was completely normal. I mean, who really cares which outfit your character is wearing on a character selection screen? There are bigger things wrong with the game right now, like Defera.

I don't care too much about the selection screen, but switching my costume in cutscene really pisses me off, especially if it's an in-mission cutscene like in Step Between Stars. Running around in a nice suit, then when Tuvok wants to talk - "hold on, let me change into my dress!" Then less than a minute later when they're done talking, she changes back into her uniform.

It bugs the heck out of me.

Thanks for the reports.

It's not even my slot 1 costume.

It's my original costume from level 1, before I was able to attach the Romulan rank shoulder pads and before I received the Intel uniform that I should be wearing. That original costume is in none of my tailor slots.

It's a costume that should no longer exist!
    edited November 2014
    Also, I'm not positive because I haven't tried producing steps to reproduce, but I *think* if you log out on the ground, then on the log in screen, your ship will be missing any visual effects from shields or items.

Like, I have the Reman shield on my freighter, but the hull texture on the log in screen is missing the green effect entirely some of the time and I believe it is when I log out on a ground map. So it's almost the opposite of the captain costume issue.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2014

This.

Also, the ship seen in character select lacks any shield/deflector/assimilated console visuals anyway. I always assumed that's how it's supposed to be, showing only the basic look of the ship and the first costume slot of the captain.

EDIT: Answered without reading this:
    Also, I'm not positive because I haven't tried producing steps to reproduce, but I *think* if you log out on the ground, then on the log in screen, your ship will be missing any visual effects from shields or items.

Like, I have the Reman shield on my freighter, but the hull texture on the log in screen is missing the green effect entirely some of the time and I believe it is when I log out on a ground map. So it's almost the opposite of the captain costume issue.

All my ships lack any and all visuals gained from items on the character select screen. No matter where the character is when I log out.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • veryth12veryth12 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    It's my original costume from level 1, before I was able to attach the Romulan rank shoulder pads and before I received the Intel uniform that I should be wearing. That original costume is in none of my tailor slots.

It's a costume that should no longer exist!

That's how mine is as well. It is an old costume from when I first made the charactor. The more anoying part for me is that I have completely changed the way my romulan caractor looks, so she looks like a seperate person when doing the cut scenes.

I have also had issue where bridge officers were sharing costumes in cut scences. During the cut scene where you meet up with the Vadwaar on the Talaxian station I discovered my liberated borg romulan science offiver (on my fed toon) had a twin during the cut scene. I think it had to do with the fact I last loaded their costumes from a saved costume and the tailor changed the name of the costume to some dfault name and they both had that same default name. When I renamed the costumes it fixed the issue.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    veryth12 wrote: »
    That's how mine is as well. It is an old costume from when I first made the charactor. The more anoying part for me is that I have completely changed the way my romulan caractor looks, so she looks like a seperate person when doing the cut scenes.

I have also had issue where bridge officers were sharing costumes in cut scences. During the cut scene where you meet up with the Vadwaar on the Talaxian station I discovered my liberated borg romulan science offiver (on my fed toon) had a twin during the cut scene. I think it had to do with the fact I last loaded their costumes from a saved costume and the tailor changed the name of the costume to some dfault name and they both had that same default name. When I renamed the costumes it fixed the issue.

The bit about the name is a long standing issue. At one point I'd loaded in uniforms on one of my toons boffs and forgot to rename them so all of their outfits had the same name. In the character selection screen and cutscenes all of my boffs were clones. Renaming sorted that.

As for the original uniform issue, have you checked your screenshots folder to see if you maybe saved the original outfit and if you did then try deleting it to see if that helps?
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Geez, wasn't this a known bug in the character select since before it even went live?
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • osarielosariel Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    My main toon is a romulan alien (same thing happen with my alt, also a romulan alien), at first i created him as an aenar kid with a basic republic outfit... over time, i decided to make him more romulan'like, i even wrote him a biography! I bought him loby outfits, earned the icosuit and the kobali one... i mixed everything all together to get a unique and fancy look. However, in cut scenes, when beaming down, when clicking on the "info" tab (on my toon picture at the left-up corner) and in the character selector... it's always the same and extremly outdated "aenar kid" outfit that i see. I already erased the whole game and reinstalled it, i erased all my oufits, i did multiple "force verification"s... i even enjoyed a tailor bug and saved it as outfit slot #1... but nothing solved the problem. Such situation is pretty annoying. It's imposible to roleplay, it's impossible to get a coherent biography, and it's annoying to having spent so much time on the look of my toons to let them look as noob lev. 10 characters. It's maybe a stupid bug who'snt worth the time of Cryptic to fix it (or like someone else's said "to focus on Deferi instead")... but it's a pain in the TRIBBLE when it happening on your 2 main characters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Yes, if you log out in a space map, the character select screen will show you in your #1 costume slot, as opposed to the one you were wearing.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    The wearing slot #1 costume when logged off in space seemed like WAI for me.

There is, however, a bug present when you create costumes while comissioning a new BOFF. You get the dialogue "rename" and "change uniform" for newly comissioned boffs. If you use the "change uniform" option and then create or change a captain's uniform this change/new costume gets saved in a "invisible" costume slot and cannot be changed regularily. The result is your captain will always wear this "invisible" costume slot in the select screen and cutscenes.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    my char on the character screen is wearing the uniform/face/hair it was wearing six months ago. I've changed HUNDREDS of times since then lol (and showered too. honest)
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • annodominicannodominic Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I am also experiencing this.