Options

Best type of space polaron weapons?

2»

Comments

• Options
    beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    flash525 wrote: »
    I would say, if you're running a full Dyson Set and using Polaron Weapons, then quite easily the Protonic Polaron. I'm using them on my Fleet Nebula, and they're quite cool. I have been looking into the new Thoron themed Polaron too, but I couldn't tell you whether they're any good or not.
    i run the full thoron polaron space weapons with the thoron quantum torp on my roms Ar'Kif and they take a ships hall from full to 0 pretty darn fast i like them and they made polarons useful for me it really all depends on you

• Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Today, I actually played around with the Dominion Polaron Beams from "Boldy They Rode"...they're a lot of fun! In the grand scheme of things, I don't know how they rate, but I'm not logged-in right now...are they upgradeable and if so, has anyone made them Epic and have an opinion?
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    kayajay wrote: »
    Today, I actually played around with the Dominion Polaron Beams from "Boldy They Rode"...they're a lot of fun! In the grand scheme of things, I don't know how they rate, but I'm not logged-in right now...are they upgradeable and if so, has anyone made them Epic and have an opinion?

The best they can get is [dmg] [crth] [crtd]x2 [acc/dmg], which makes them inferior to other types which can get [crtd]x3 [acc/dmg] or even [crtd]x4 [ac/dmg]. The tetryon proc isnt worth much either. They are only acknowledged because of the naming. If they wouldnt be named "dominon", nobody would care about them.
  • Options
    thraawn5thraawn5 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    so what about the prtonic poalrons with the new surgical strike. Using ss to boost crit chance to asronomicaly high rates, would also increase the damage proc. value right.
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    woodwhity wrote: »
    The best they can get is [dmg] [crth] [crtd]x2 [acc/dmg], which makes them inferior to other types which can get [crtd]x3 [acc/dmg] or even [crtd]x4 [ac/dmg]. The tetryon proc isnt worth much either. They are only acknowledged because of the naming. If they wouldnt be named "dominon", nobody would care about them.

My thoughts on it: It's a rare type that has 2 procs and doesn't lose a mod for it. So pretend the DMG is just free on top. Not the best, but better than most other 2-proc weapons. When you discount the DMG that leaves you with CrtH CrtDx2 at best. Not TERRIBLE, mind you, but yes you're right it isn't the best l33test you can get.

I think the real reason they're not totally desirable is that tetryon process really sucks now. Uber NPC stats have made it a TRIBBLE in the ocean. They really need to just buff the standard tetryon proc across the board for ALL weapons that have it. It needs to be DOUBLED at bare minimum. Then it might be a bit more interesting.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well with the tac Reman I have, I stand by my choice of phased polaron but, not every build would these be the most optimal polaron choice.

It's just my build greatly requires them and, puts them to the desired use effectively.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    In fairness... Cardassians were a nightmare back then simply because if they got lucky they could disable all your subsystems and keep them that way...

Apparently PvP had a fair bit of this too.

The D'Deridex NPCs were rude wakeup calls even on Normal if one rolled up to the front of them, expecting to treat them like all other ships. A VM, Tractor Beam, and HYT Plasma later, you were woken up :cool:

Not sure how their ploy works these days.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The D'Deridex NPCs were rude wakeup calls even on Normal if one rolled up to the front of them, expecting to treat them like all other ships. A VM, Tractor Beam, and HYT Plasma later, you were woken up :cool:

Not sure how their ploy works these days.
    They still fire plasma Volley torps and use tractors. But VM is way less potent now.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    woodwhity wrote: »
    No, it doesnt. Tested it many times, it simply doesnt. If you have a log, upload it so we can validate what you say. Atm its unlikely at best.

Thanks for letting me know. I ran multiple test with some friends, and found out there was a problem with my account.

I was using the Polarons on my Defiant. I had three ships with the C-Store Defiant, and used the cloak with each of them. When running missions with my friends, they were also showing that I was doing Proton damage with the same weapons, but they were not doing it.

Also, my Defiant were not losing their cloaking bonus after de-cloaking. I was tearing through things in normal ME. The Typhoons were dropping in a second, two at tops. Almost (never said all), but almost all of my shots were doing almost double the damage they were suppose to.

I did a forced patch earlier today, and now my non-upgraded Defiant is doing the same low damage it use to. That does suck. But, I am still doing faster kills with the Protonic Polarons of the same quality, and mark of regular ones. Putting the same weapons on other ships, and friends that have tried them have the same results. Protonic Polarons of the same mark, and quality as regular Polarons are resulting in faster kills. Slightly less DPS, but faster kills.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm just noticing myself that thoron polarons trade their energy drain for a radiation dot. I have a character using protonic polarons and was about to switch to thoron to see how different they might perform. Not sure I want to now. I gain an extra modifier like ctrH but I lose the energy drain for a small proc, and yes it's small.

Anyone know what purpose these thoron weapons have? Energy drain seems so much more useful than a pitifully small dot.
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm just noticing myself that thoron polarons trade their energy drain for a radiation dot. I have a character using protonic polarons and was about to switch to thoron to see how different they might perform. Not sure I want to now. I gain an extra modifier like ctrH but I lose the energy drain for a small proc, and yes it's small.

Anyone know what purpose these thoron weapons have? Energy drain seems so much more useful than a pitifully small dot.

Yeah, the Protonic are really sweet. I just wish that if you need to buy them, they cost less Dil than they do now. The energy drain can help increase your crit anyway, because it can bring the enemy to a stop, thereby increasing your accuracy, and dropping their defense. Also, everyone else hitting them will benefit from increased carts also.

Plus, if they proc enough, you can also make their weapons do less damage to you, weaken their shields, and make them useless. It is sweet to get multiple procs back to back in an advance STF, and have the Borg cubes doing less than 100 damage per hit to you when they hit with energy weapons. Lol. Plus, their shields can't regen nearly as fast because they don't have power to them.

If you can get three people with Polarons, and two that have a high crth running AP, then you can drop tac cubes very fast.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!