Install Arc
Options

Mirror Universe Portals.

13»

Comments

• Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I. Couldn't. Agree. More. with the OP. It also gets me in Borg Disconnected and the episodes. I wouldn't mind the trade-off that it would cost to let me finish closing a rift, scanning something, free a Borg etc, but it's the most infuriating thing in the world. I have a high DPS, but it's when more Mirror Ships suddenly appear out of the rift at 99% that gets me...
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    But the whole point of this mechanic is to encourage either a) teamwork or b) crafty use of skills and abilities to close while under fire.
    It's the best example currently available of a mission that is not solely about blowing the hell out of the enemy.
    I have a high DPS

This is where people are going wrong...they need to get out of thinking DPS is the only thing that maters and it will win them the match.
    Yes in some instances it is vital to have good DPS, e.g:

- When killing nanites headed for a transformer in Infected space
    - When killing probes headed for the vortex in Khitomer space.

But in some instances DPS will not save the mission from failing because certain aspects now require more than just spamming weapon's fire at everything.

If you could just close everything whilst under fire and solo everything then what's the point in even making it a team match.

Good teamwork in this mission can net you huge amounts of marks, closing 25+ rifts and getting the station fully armed whilst keeping it at full health.
    The best matches I've been in were where we worked as a team (even though nobody used teamspeak or zone chat). If you know how the mission works then you can easily team up with a ship that complements your own and rule the battlefield as a team.

Or use your head - watch what the NPCs do, often they come through a rift and head straight at the station, just sneak in behind and close the rift.
    Drop an aceton assimilator, turret, HY torp or whatever and they will shoot that instead of you.
    If you're an intel ship you'll have warp signature masking - making you able to sneak up and close a rift right under some enemies noses.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    But the whole point of this mechanic is to encourage either a) teamwork or b) crafty use of skills and abilities to close while under fire.
    It's the best example currently available of a mission that is not solely about blowing the hell out of the enemy.

Well, 'c) have enough firepower to instantly vaporize enemies coming out of the portals' is still the easiest option.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have often come about on the opposite side of the portal out of the enemies' firing range only for another portal to pop behind me. It is then those ships that interrupt me. Then I am forced to fight them only for a second wave of ships to come out of the first portal. Then a third portal opens and I am completely overwhelmed.
  • Options
    decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The problem I have is that even when working with someone who is pulling the ships is that they seem to have FAW on a cooldown of a few seconds so spam it like mad. There is no way to avoid this.

Now I don't agree we shouldn't be interupted when taking damage as standard but mabe after a certain percentage of the bar is full then you can't be interupted, say around 95-98%. It is the annoying thing that you are just about to close the protal and you get interrupted. Anything before that na you get interrupted when hit.

I also think they need to look at the spawn placing. It is rediculous that you can end up with 5+ portals within a few meters of each other.
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I really don't see why people say this is a mission where DPS doesn't matter.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Here's some pro tips:

The kerrat fed/KDF ball strategy works here. Despite the fact that you may have a bunch of low dpsers, ball up into a group of 3 or 4 and slowly comb around the station, closing rifts and doing power transfers together. One or two people should be flying around and soloing the power transfers.

If most people have higher dps than you on the team, look for the sci ship and stick with them the whole time. Close nearby power transfers and heal the ship ship whenever possible.

If there are no sci ships, find one other player and support him the whole time. However, do not steal his rifts and be a jerk.

Most useful skills/consoles/weapons: cannon volley/neutronic or dyson Torp combined with Torp spread III/FAW/Grav Well/Repulsors. Beam overload is useful if you can carry at least two copies of it with at least one cannon volley (good set up for anything with 9 turn or better- Fore: 1 Double beam and 3 dual heavies or 1 Torp and 3 dual heavies. Aft: kCB and 3 turrets or 2 turrets/1 beam.)

ALternatively for FAW cruisers: use 6 beams w/kCB and undine heavy turret or 7 beams with kCB.

Best beam/cannon consoles/traits: Nukara particle and hydrodynamics are excellent for increasing beam accuracy. Hydro increases accuracy of all weapons, not just beams. Tactical precision trait is a must-have for all classes since activating any tac ability increases your overall accuracy. Also, don't forget that the hydrodynamics console with undine heavy turret gives extra phaser/disruptor damage as a 2 piece bonus so they synergize well with phaser/disrupor builds.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I really don't see why people say this is a mission where DPS doesn't matter.

Exactly. In more than 200 Mirror Invasions we never failed to get 50-55 marks because people were killing too fast. But there were situations were we couldn't keep the starbase at 100% health even though we closed a lot of rifts and upgraded defenses.
  • Options
    bandraoi44bandraoi44 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    NPC ships with 0 cd on BFAW i want that doff:P
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    On more than one occasion I've been pot shot with a torpedo, and rift closing was halted BEFORE the torpedo ever made contact with my ship going into Red Alert just for being targeted.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've had a poor experience with quantum absorption this go around. Even with it fully charged, I still get interrupted when hit.

For the most part, I've had a good experience with people closing portals, and powering up the base. My only real problem is that sometimes I'll get bogged down when I'm in the middle of 3 portals. I can (usually) survive the onslaught, but it'd be nice to have some help after someone comes by and closes the portals.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't mind the mechanics of the mission myself, if i do get pot shotted b4 i can close a portal i just take them out quickly and try agian. My only complaint is, you have an entire crew on you ship and realistically getting shot at isn't going to stop the science officers on your ship from doing their job and closing a rift. Like i said not a real problem for me or the teams i've been on just more of a making it more realistic to me. Never did see on any of the Star Trek showa where they had to stop scanning or studying or some other similar science ability just because they were in the heat of battle. Anyway thanks for reading and hope everyone continues to enjoy the event as i have.
    Captain: "We need those portals closed ASAP. It's imperative we don't let any more ships through."

Tactical: "Captain, a single miranda frigate just fired a completely ineffective phaser beam at us. Shields holding."

Captain: "Well then forget the portal. Shut down the deflector dish and return fire"

That's about what it feels like is happening. If I were truly in command of my ship I wouldn't tell them to stop closing the portal.

Yep its annoying, even more so in Borg Disconnected where either you are likely to be at the point alone becuase you only get a team of 5 or your teammate is knee deep in Borg ships when a sphere or probe warp in on top of you while trying to to hack the Borg ship or one of them just pot shots you anyway.
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    But the whole point of this mechanic is to encourage either a) teamwork or

Fails due to potshots.
    b) crafty use of skills and abilities to close while under fire.

Fails due to pot shots.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    swamarian wrote: »
    I've had a poor experience with quantum absorption this go around. Even with it fully charged, I still get interrupted when hit.

For some reason you still (randomly?) take 1 point of damage through temporary hull. Either it's a bug or they did it out of spite.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    On more than one occasion I've been pot shot with a torpedo, and rift closing was halted BEFORE the torpedo ever made contact with my ship going into Red Alert just for being targeted.
    Taking damage BEFORE seeing the torp is pretty standard in mirror...
    calamintha wrote: »
    For some reason you still (randomly?) take 1 point of damage through temporary hull. Either it's a bug or they did it out of spite.
    I dunno.... one hypothesis is that it's the phaser proc hitting you that causes it. PSW torps will always interrupt you no matter what...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    zachariyazachariya Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The best part is being almost done closing a portal and a single lol torpedo from a ship that died after firing it hits you for less than minor damage but stops your portal close and a then a typhoon slides in.
    Shoot through the Galaxy, Final Master Spark!
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It has been infuriating for me too, because of this I made an all sensor disruption build for my Scryer ship so that I could remain unseen long enough to close these portals before being attacked. It takes alot of universal consoles but at least I can close these things if they happen to be too close. It doesn't do much on damage but it functions well with escaping notice so that you can continue doing those side functions of these STFs.

it's here if anyone is interested. http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=stealthybuildscryer_0

This build also helped me free the borg from the queen's control.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I like to use Attack Pattern Beta with the Pilot spec for enhanced attack patterns. It works like a weak quantum absorption in that it will block you from being interrupted by weapons fire temporarily. But the bubble has a lot less HP and can't take much pounding. The upside is that you can use it far more often than QA.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg