Install Arc

Hardcap on DPS -- for or against ?

1235»

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    its got TRIBBLE to do with teamwork.
    its exponential failure only held in check be piddly playstation 1 team and instance sizes.

you are decent with this games mathes, how far into the negative would apB stacked 30 times put a target?
    thats a level of mechanics failure unheard of outside of rpgs.
    and no pvp game could be taken seriously for featuring the ability to stack shared damage boosts that way. which for sto, is an 'oh snap' sentence.

and despite your poor attempt at sarcasm, you almost hit the nail on the head.
    abilities like this are exactly the sort of thing you would expect from single player game mechanics where one player controlled the entire 5 man party.
    so when its designed like a single player game, its hardly a shock when players treat it that way.

or are you pretending blaster only matches in quake would be devoid of teamwork due to lack of stacking damage boosts?

I'm not ignoring what you said like you are ignoring it.

"only held in check"

As if the group sizes and allowed players on a map was accidental...rather than a factor involved.

I get that some folks feel the devs are clueless, and there are things they do that leaves me to wonder at times just how much they play the game or how much they pay attention while playing the game. And no doubt it may be something they may want to pay a wee bit more attention to...

...but in the end, we do have the group sizes we do and the map sizes we do...

...so imagine this or imagine that doesn't really matter.

A group that's working their debuff/buff rotations for maximum efficiency are going to do better than a group that doesn't.

It's the old APO/APB/APD discussion...with more toys.

But hey, if you want to go the FPS route - go back 15 years, eh? Take a 16 player map. Have a group of 4 players familiar with the map, familiar with the weapons, working together...and have 12 players running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Teamwork...knowledge...practice...experience.

Many of the folks complaining in STO would have been part of that 12 complaining 15 years back...
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Not reading through the whole thread, but the Op is terrible.

You can't limit DPS through some cap system, its non-sense. However DPS in this game is a problem, exponential DPS is occuring (and to think people laughed at me when I said this earlier in the year) and its not a valid model for a stable game.

DPS needs to be limited and controlled through sensible and viable game mechanics, not artifical caps or limits that ruin the game. By having a properly controlled DPS model it allows for parts of the game that have gone into ruin to be revived, like.. PvE and PvP, aka the entire game.

There is no point in a CC ship anymore because you can only CC to a limit, no point to tank because you can only tank so much and generate so much threat, no point to drain ships because.. that accomplishes nothing with so much DPS around. A game with all DPS all the time is so boring it isn't funny, and.. wow yep thats what STO is now, boring.

In all honesty, any lead dev that allowed a game to be changed into all DPS really should be fired, they clearly aren't capable of managing or designing anything.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    Someone makes your daily grind easier and you complain at them.

I don't agree with a DPS cap at all but...

Don't assume everyone is grinding. I play the game and marks and dilithium. I don't run the same missions over and over to get them. If I did I would have quit long ago.