test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why are the T6 ships so ugly?

2»

Comments

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think they all look pretty smart, but the thing is anyway once you earn the traits on them you can use the traits on any ships so that will give you 5 traits for your fed and 2 traits each for you kdf and rom.
    so once you have these traits it doesn't really matter if you never use the T6 ships again, you can fly your favourite T5U and use all the traits on that ship even though T5U ships cant earn their own trait they can still use the ones you earned on your T6`s.

and who knows once you have used these ships long enough to earn the traits on them you may find you grow to appreciate their design.

players moaned that the T5U upgrade didn't include the ability to earn traits and said they would happily pay extra for that but if you have purchased the T6 ship pack even if you are not keen on the ships you can look on it also reducing the difference between T5U and T6 to an even smaller difference then it is at first glance.

to my way of thinking the value in this pack grows as you use the ships and this just adds to the overall desirability and good value the pack offers.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I must admit I didn't like T6 ships at the beginning but I changed my mind about them once I was able to view them from various angles. The best ones are: Mat'Ha, Faeht, Eclipse and maybe Scryer. I still don't like the Phantom and Qib. Guardian which I originally liked the most is a bit worse than I imagined it would be.

I guess my change of heart comes from customization options available for intel ships.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    yes, it is probably why you don't really see many of them. almost everytime cryptic released a new ship, you would see a bazillion of them everywhere. I rarely see them, even outside esd.

these ships are as fugly as they get. hopefully cryptic learns from this mishap.
  • lordkhoraklordkhorak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I find many of the Cryptic designed Starfleet ships to be fugly. They don't look Star Trek or Starfleet at all. All jagged lines and broken or weird shapes, sometimes even just ugly proportions. It's not all only the T6 intel ships.

Look at your very first baby ships. You've got the Miranda, a classic Trek design sitting cheerfully in the TOS movie aesthetic. You've got the Centaur, an attractive, flowing design that's typical and expected. Then you get the Cryptic ShiKahr. It's a mess. It's 'overdesigned'. Someone took a Miranda and just didn't stop drawing until it had random garbage stuck all over it like the endless pouches on a 90's, Rob Liefeld style superhero.

The Guardian is actually beautiful when you take off all the Cryptic aesthetic, all the jagged pieces and lumpy bits. You take off the bumper, change for the smooth neck, change the nacelles to the cleaner option without the baboon butt on the front, and use a clean skin akin to an actual Starfleet vessel. Suddenly it looks like the Galaxy-class of a new generation of ships. I love flying around in this thing.

The Cryptic art team act like they've never seen Starfleet ships in their entire lives, or as if they're early teenagers who just....keep adding fins and sticky out bits and doodads and oh! Oh! This! And this! Cooooool!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I agree all but the Guardian. Everytime i see them i say dam that really is a ugly non fed looking ship. Its like the devs want to control future fed ships while leaving the other races ships alone.
  • shineshadowshineshadow Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Not everyone is a hardcore originalist. I find the T6 ships to be, for the most part, very good-looking. Not a big fan of the Raptor. The Faeht and the Scryer are fantastic.

That's not to say I want the Intel aesthetic expanded to all future ships, but for the role they're supposed to serve, they're excellent.
  • yorethelyorethel Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I live in hope still for a KDF/RRF T6 Science vessel of some sort. would love for them to bring in the Vengeance from the recent movie, as a Tactical Carrier (Yes it is a carrier before anyone starts, what do you think Scotty was running down to let Kirk and Khan in, it was a hangar for drones), I would love the animation of armour deploying across the deflector when in battle and those torp launchers (which could be made a 360 degree torp launcher in that slot, having said that the Scryers saucer looks suspiciously Vengeance like with the same shaped hole in the middle and bridge hmm.....

Well have to wait and see.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    arcanum70 wrote: »
    I don't think that they are ugly. Actually, the ugliest ship in the game (IMO) is the Avenger. I like the look of the new ships myself. I kind of get where people are coming from in that they are not "standard Star Trek", but to me that is a good thing. They have the same basic design, but I like how they are changing it up a little with the design.

I suppose if there weren't other changes in the game that have pissed me off I would give more thought to what the ships look like, but a ship model compared to the nerf hammer on too many things is irrelevant.

The Avenger was never meant to be pretty, she was meant to be FUNCTIONAL, much like the A-10 Warthog. And the Avenger, was named after the Gau-8, so the legend goes.

Far as the new ships, if you get rid of the intel skins, they are not half bad. The Phantom looks like a stretched Defiant.

Infact all of them just look like stretched versions of something.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • noshufflenoshuffle Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I suggest, before taking an angle on the new T6 ships, that the artistic devs. will look once carefully to the TNG Episode : All Good Things and then realize that the Galaxy Dreadnought has one major artistic flaw : namely the extra protection at the neck at both sides. For years, none of the artistic devs took notice or didn't cared about this flaw. :D
    OK, if I have to stay here for a while, your cieling ... looks idious.:D
  • snakeyez82pdxsnakeyez82pdx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    guilli88 wrote: »
    They really need to hire a few art developers and start churning out hundreds of variations on hulls, nacelles, saucers, pylons, and so forth. And start selling them as 250 zen a pop. The variations dont need to be huge but could spice things up.
    I would spend all day making kit bashed ships like i used to do with my extra micro machines when i was a kid.

Seriously i think the ship artists don't relise they are making ships for star trek and not some generic sci fi game. There is a whole universe of designs and looks that michel okuda and others spent combined thousands of hours tweaking and adjusting to get the look just right and fans spend money on this mmo to get that feeling, to be immersed in that universe. Don't even get me started on ship interiors... the captain has to shout to his bridge officers to be heard in those gaudy cathedral halls.

And your new command T6 ships wow do they look stupid. especially with the star base style antenna array,the ships sensor grid contains the subspace/local comms equipment. but the hull textures are so boring its hard to imagine any complicated equipment there. Important details like the shuttle and cargo bays or docking ports appear to be after thoughts. all u see is lights and "armor"? Whats next a rotating antenna like navy war ships? I though stealth motif was silly enough but these... unless you can make them look somewhat cannon don't expect a lot of buyers...
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would spend all day making kit bashed ships like i used to do with my extra micro machines when i was a kid.

Seriously i think the ship artists don't relise they are making ships for star trek and not some generic sci fi game. There is a whole universe of designs and looks that michel okuda and others spent combined thousands of hours tweaking and adjusting to get the look just right and fans spend money on this mmo to get that feeling, to be immersed in that universe. Don't even get me started on ship interiors... the captain has to shout to his bridge officers to be heard in those gaudy cathedral halls.

And your new command T6 ships wow do they look stupid. especially with the star base style antenna array,the ships sensor grid contains the subspace/local comms equipment. but the hull textures are so boring its hard to imagine any complicated equipment there. Important details like the shuttle and cargo bays or docking ports appear to be after thoughts. all u see is lights and "armor"? Whats next a rotating antenna like navy war ships? I though stealth motif was silly enough but these... unless you can make them look somewhat cannon don't expect a lot of buyers...

Honestly... Federation designs are hard to do. If I look arround the internet at the 1000th of fan designs arround 99,9 % suck hard.
    The cryptic ones do ok compared to that, Michael okuda is pity fully not part of the sto design team.
    The romulan ships are usually prety good in my opinion (with the exception of some like the ugly Intel ship).
    Klingon designs.... That's what they regulary fail in.....
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,626 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I still don't like the look of my Phantom but the Intel Cruiser and Scryer have grown on me over time.

Anyone insulting the Mat'Ha will take a DH cannon volley to the face :)
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I still don't like the look of my Phantom but the Intel Cruiser and Scryer have grown on me over time.

Anyone insulting the Mat'Ha will take a DH cannon volley to the face :)

Yeah the Intel ships are just ugly. All of them.
    The mat'ha is with the Hegh'ta and mogh one of only 3 kdf cryptic designs looking good. But it's not really an "Intel ship", it's a raptor with a small Intel slot.