test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

U.S.S. Vengeance (Into Darkness) in STO

Comments

• zero2362zero2362 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    binebane wrote: »
    that one is the ugliest ship in all star trek. second is that new intel science.

I really dont think so. Chimera and all the intel ships are far uglier not to mention breen ships and that ugly galaxy variant available only at captain level that I cant remember the name of. The one that looks like its been stretched out
    343rguu.jpg

• daka86daka86 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Cryptic has say tat they will focus on the there own ships now, so i have doubts that will make this ship.
    However i do hope will get a intelligence ships from the section 31 and the other race to.
    Suggestion: the for a 5 level ship trait ore console the Romulan Drone Ship technology that change the skin base on what race you attack.
  • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Bringing the Vengeance into the game lore wise would be relatively easy. I've come up with the idea that in both the JJ-Universe and the Prime Universe, the Vengeance was actually the Vigilance Class and it was a prototype design which never got past the original design phase. This would explain why we've never seen it before in the Prime Universe and why JJ-Universe Admiral Marcus had a model of it on his desk. Of course in the JJ-Universe it was re-purposed by Section 31 and re-dubbed "Vengeance" in response to the destruction of Vulcan.

In the Prime Universe however, it stayed just a concept until the various conflicts spread throughout the Galaxy meant that Starfleet needed more ships. This lead to the Starfleet Corps of Engineers not only coming up with various new designs, but also going back and looking at various designs they already have on record. Some T5 ships like the D'Kyr and Kumari are 25th century variants which took inspiration from 22nd century designs. The Vigilance would turn out to be one design they decide to use and upgrade for the 25th century as well.

I would give you the option to fill in the hole in the middle of the saucer if you didn't like it, just like the Scryer. It would have access to all the current skins in game of course, but a black one could be added for those who want to imitate the Vengeance from Into Darkness.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    zero2362 wrote: »
    I subscribe to Star Trek. The official starships collection magazine and this morning I received the latest issues and models. Among them was the U.S.S. Vengeance.

After spending a little time admiring the model I started thinking that it would probably work rather well as an intel ship considering that it was built by section 31 for covert ops.

It wouldn't be the first time an alternate timeline ship was added to the game and we have far older ships than this one serving as T5 ships so wouldn't it be awesome to have this thing as a T6 intel ship.

another thread and another reply, exactly carbon copy to the last time this vengence cruiser was suggested, im so glad jjcrap is not in sto.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,862 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    actually it is an alternate timeline. Depending on what source you believe is more cannon Enterprise or the preserver novels. The mirror universe is an alternate timeline where the point of divergence is first contact. In the case of enterprise the humans attacked the vulcans during first contact. In the case of the preserver novels first contact did not happen because in the prime universe the preservers influence led a vulcan ship to pass near earth. In the mirror universe this did not happen. At least I think thats how it went. I havent read those novels in a rather long time.

I don't really consider the books canon, from what little I've read some of they go way WAY left field and basically ignore canon just to fit their story.

It's still a alternate universe unless you're trying to say someone went back in the past and told Zephram to kill the Vulcan thus affecting the timeline?

JJ Trek is a alternate timeline because the Narada went back in time and changed things, unless someone from our timeline went back in time and influenced Cochrane to kill the Vulcans, it isn't a alternate timeline from ours.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    We have a Vengeance already.

Avengeance battlecruiser for the Feds. Grab the black paint scheme and raised pylons.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Anyone who thinks the Avenger is anything like the Dreadnought Class whatsoever needs new eyes. It's black. That's where the similarities end.

The new Intel ships are pretty close, the science one has a similar saucer.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited October 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks the Avenger is anything like the Dreadnought Class whatsoever needs new eyes. It's black. That's where the similarities end.

The new Intel ships are pretty close, the science one has a similar saucer.
    Thats why I say it would work as an intel ship. It would fit right in with the current designs cryptic are releasing plus it was built by section 31 specifically for covert ops.
    343rguu.jpg

• macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2014
    USS Vengeance is the only thing I really like about the abomination known as JJ Trek. I think they already did the Avenger to "address" it. Too bad the Avenger is ugly as sin and as obsolete as any other T5 ship.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I subscribe to Star Trek. The official starships collection magazine and this morning I received the latest issues and models. Among them was the U.S.S. Vengeance.

After spending a little time admiring the model I started thinking that it would probably work rather well as an intel ship considering that it was built by section 31 for covert ops.

It wouldn't be the first time an alternate timeline ship was added to the game and we have far older ships than this one serving as T5 ships so wouldn't it be awesome to have this thing as a T6 intel ship.

You must be new here. My sig plz.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
    edited October 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    USS Vengeance is the only thing I really like about the abomination known as JJ Trek. I think they already did the Avenger to "address" it. Too bad the Avenger is ugly as sin and as obsolete as any other T5 ship.

Agreed definitely the only good thing about the new movies. I really am fed up with people Assuming i like JJ trek just because I happen to like this one ships design though
    343rguu.jpg

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    binebane wrote: »
    that one is the ugliest ship in all star trek. second is that new intel science.

You have that the other way around. The Scryer is the uggliest thing to ever be related to Star Trek in any possible way, not even the Vengeance can hope to compete with it. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,862 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Just makes me lol...
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    actually it is an alternate timeline. Depending on what source you believe is more cannon Enterprise or the preserver novels. The mirror universe is an alternate timeline where the point of divergence is first contact. In the case of enterprise the humans attacked the vulcans during first contact. In the case of the preserver novels first contact did not happen because in the prime universe the preservers influence led a vulcan ship to pass near earth. In the mirror universe this did not happen. At least I think thats how it went. I havent read those novels in a rather long time.

That is not true. The Mirror universe is an alternate universe. Personalities are twisted around (hence the "mirror" term) - the "prime" and "mirror" universes never were the same. That's the basic principle behind it.

While I do personally think it is overused and we don't need to know anything about the MU as it should have remained an one-shot storytelling device, ENT reinforces the basic principle as it suggests that the MU's history was different to the prime one's way before first contact ("centuries" before mid 22nd-century, to be precise). Wether or not this is canon is out of the question. ENT is canon, novels are not. What ENT shows is what "happened" while novels have no meaning whatsoever - the only exception for STO would be Cryptic officially stating they adapt "Novel X" as a part of their game's lore.

Now, you can argue wether ENT is set in an alternate timeline. I personally think so as it contradicts canon that existed before all the time and because I personally don't accept retcons I think everything that happened in ENT did *not* canonically happen prior to TOS or TNG but actually happens afterwards, in a new timeline, launched with the Borg time-travel-thingy in First Contact.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why have these threads not been added to the FCT list? No matter what argument anyone has for or against it, it simply cannot happen due to the legalities of it. There are no if, ands, buts, or maybes here.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If that is your defense I will ask the question, what canon evidence can you show me that the Gal-X didn't exist in the 25th century in the Prime TNG timeline?

Since you tried to arguement with a fallacy yourself, please show me canon evidence that the Vengeance didn't exist in the prime universe at one time. Or while we're at it: show me canon evidence that there ever was a ship or class named "Galaxy X" on the show...
    There are no if, ands, buts, or maybes here.

Sure there is an IF. It can happen, IF Paramount were to allow it to happen. Sure, chances are slim too none of that happening right now, but there is always the time after the third movie and you never know what stance the people who take over after JJ (if there are any) will have.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hravik wrote: »
    Why have these threads not been added to the FCT list? No matter what argument anyone has for or against it, it simply cannot happen due to the legalities of it. There are no if, ands, buts, or maybes here.

this^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sure there is an IF. It can happen, IF Paramount were to allow it to happen. Sure, chances are slim too none of that happening right now, but there is always the time after the third movie and you never know what stance the people who take over after JJ (if there are any) will have.
    The whole thing seems silly to me; I cannot help but think that Paramount is throwing away exposure and even some cheddar by insisting 'X can't be in STO'. It can't be a question of royalties - not when the most elegant solution would be to simply split proceeds from the sales fifty-fifty.
    edited November 2014
    And yet we have the Romulan mining ship from the first JJ Trek movie. I believe cryptic called it the Tal Shiar adapted heavy cruiser or something like that
    343rguu.jpg

• stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And yet we have the Romulan mining ship from the first JJ Trek movie. I believe cryptic called it the Tal Shiar adapted heavy cruiser or something like that

Supposedly the roots for both ships are the same in that they were made from reverse engineered borg parts or something. But the ships only look the same, they actually arent the same.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Khnial_class
    edited November 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    Supposedly the roots for both ships are the same in that they were made from reverse engineered borg parts or something. But the ships only look the same, they actually arent the same.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Khnial_class
    well then in that case STO can have a ship that looks the same as the vengeance but isnt the vengeance and all will be well
    343rguu.jpg

• voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    well then in that case STO can have a ship that looks the same as the vengeance but isnt the vengeance and all will be well

We do. It's called the Avenger. Ever wonder why it's named that and can be painted pure black?
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    We do. It's called the Avenger. Ever wonder why it's named that and can be painted pure black?

Indeed, they even went so far as to rename a different, pre-existing ship class (one of the Star Cruisers, IIRC) which had been called Avenger, just so they could give the name to their little end-run around the licensing restriction.
    edited November 2014
    Indeed, they even went so far as to rename a different, pre-existing ship class (one of the Star Cruisers, IIRC) which had been called Avenger, just so they could give the name to their little end-run around the licensing restriction.

I have that ship. It looks nothing like the vengeance. The nacelles are different the deflector is different the supports are different the proportions are different the saucer is way different and its the wrong size
    343rguu.jpg

edited November 2014
    I have that ship. It looks nothing like the vengeance. The nacelles are different the deflector is different the supports are different the proportions are different the saucer is way different and its the wrong size

Well they can't put the exact thing in the game, so what do you want?
    edited November 2014

The avenger and the Vengeance are as similar to each other as the constitution and the galaxy
    343rguu.jpg

• maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    They could borrow some ideas, the hollowed saucer section, the dark paint, the squared off hull geometry, but the actual ship design, nope, never gonna happen for reasons that have already been discussed too many times to count. I would like to see more new designs but I prefer the direction they were going with the Guardian, I think the Vengeance would be a huge step in the wrong direction, design for Star Trek's future, enough with picking over the corpses of the past.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited November 2014
    Well they can't put the exact thing in the game, so what do you want?

We have a ship that looks identical to the Romulan mining ship from JJ Star trek
    343rguu.jpg

edited November 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    They could borrow some ideas, the hollowed saucer section, the dark paint, the squared off hull geometry, but the actual ship design, nope, never gonna happen for reasons that have already been discussed too many times to count. I would like to see more new designs but I prefer the direction they were going with the Guardian, I think the Vengeance would be a huge step in the wrong direction, design for Star Trek's future, enough with picking over the corpses of the past.

Im of the opposite opinion. If you stray too far from the source material than it stops being trek and becomes generic sci fi. I was horrified by the intell ships designs. They just dont say federation to me. The guardian wasn't terrible but I find the further cryptic strays from the Iconic ships of trek the more put off I am by the designs. I don't think im alone in this opinion either
    343rguu.jpg

edited November 2014
    We have a ship that looks identical to the Romulan mining ship from JJ Star trek

That thing is nowhere near identical. To borrow your own comparison, the Tal Shiar battlecruiser is to the Narada like a regular borg cube is to a tactical cube.
This discussion has been closed.