test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just how many accounts can you have?

wdwormack5114wdwormack5114 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited July 16 in The Academy
If you start running STO,just how many accounts can a person have? I mean, is it possible to have multiple accounts in different names?
Post edited by rattler2 on

Comments

• toslover#1432 toslover Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If I remember right, all you really needed to sign up with STO was an email address. So, since it's Free-to-Play now, I'd think that it would be possible to have multiple accounts if you had multiple email addresses as well.

Like I said, though, I think that it'd be possible. :) Don't, by any means, quote me on this. hehe :D
    2rbz410.jpg
  • celavazmycelavazmy Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You can have 2 Accounts per IP address, if you have more you get possibly banned.
    And if PWE/Cryptic finds out you push with the second account your first one, you also get banned. So be careful.
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Can you show where in EULA or ToS you found such info?
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If you start running STO,just how many accounts can a person have? I mean, is it possible to have multiple accounts in different names?

Though whats the point ??? as Dilithium, C-Store purchases and Account Bound items can't be shared between Accounts, and would be much more expensive in C-Store purchases and Rep grind to accomplish the same level of performance... You'd be better off paying the one time fee of additional character slots to share in the Account resources...
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There's no hard limit on chars per IP for the simple fact of
    • What if your whole family (for example 6 people) are STO'ing?
    • What if you're on a campus with multiple STO lovers?
    • What if you're STO'ing on a public wifi point with friends?
    Since it's a worldwide game they'll be chopping of their fingers (multiple times) whenever they'll be banning groups of (possible) paying customers.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    One of my fleetmates has 4 accounts. That is the most I know of first hand.
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    There's no hard limit on chars per IP for the simple fact of
    • What if your whole family (for example 6 people) are STO'ing?
    • What if you're on a campus with multiple STO lovers?
    • What if you're STO'ing on a public wifi point with friends?
    Since it's a worldwide game they'll be chopping of their fingers (multiple times) whenever they'll be banning groups of (possible) paying customers.

There is sort of a trade off between the possibility of that happening and the possibility of a person having three or four accounts for farming or whatever other purpose.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    Technically there is no limit, but you will require a unique email address to set-up the account.

So far there are no instances of accounts being banned with more than one person using the same IP address - such as father/son playing together on the same home network at the same time.

There are instances of account suspension for people running multiple instances with bots, and rightfully so.

I am unsure of the benefit of having separate accounts, I prefer to share goods and dilithium under one account. The cost of additional character slots is minor.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Technically there is no limit, but you will require a unique email address to set-up the account.

So far there are no instances of accounts being banned with more than one person using the same IP address - such as father/son playing together on the same home network at the same time.

There are instances of account suspension for people running multiple instances with bots, and rightfully so.

I am unsure of the benefit of having separate accounts, I prefer to share goods and dilithium under one account. The cost of additional character slots is minor.

I have two so I can invite myself to my one cell ship and not need to bug strangers in the chat channel (even though I know there is one exactly for this, lol). Also it makes training my boffs solo a little easier.

Last, I help a lot of new players and it is helpful for me to have a completely free account so I can be sure the advice I give is not tainted by having/playing with the perks of a lifetime sub.

Edit:
    My fleetmate who has four got them sort of by accident. He didn't know you could use the same account in sto and champions, then lost his login and made another after being gone for months, but technical support helped him recover the original. He keeps and uses them because its easy for farming dil/contraband. He wouldn't have made them on purpose, but since he has them he figured, why waste 'em.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    I have two so I can invite myself to my one cell ship and not need to bug strangers in the chat channel (even though I know there is one exactly for this, lol). Also it makes training my boffs solo a little easier.

Last, I help a lot of new players and it is helpful for me to have a completely free account so I can be sure the advice I give is not tainted by having/playing with the perks of a lifetime sub.

Edit:
    My fleetmate who has four got them sort of by accident. He didn't know you could use the same account in sto and champions, then lost his login and made another after being gone for months, but technical support helped him recover the original. He keeps and uses them because its easy for farming dil/contraband. He wouldn't have made them on purpose, but since he has them he figured, why waste 'em.

Good to know.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited October 2014

you can have as many as you want/need. I know people with 5 or so.

Just understand the difference. If you buy off your energy credit cap, you have to do it for each ACCOUNT. Your shared bank is not shared across the ACCOUNTS. That means that rep tokens can't be given to your OTHER ACCOUNT alts. If you buy a ship from the c-store, it won't be available to the other accounts. This list goes on and on.... anything you work hard to do that *could* have been shared across characters is lost on the other accounts, and that is HUGE in the long run. Account bound items.... money... lobi... it just goes on and on.

I can't see why you would do that to yourself.
  • euclidese8euclidese8 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    i got banned for having 2 accounts on different handles
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,396 Community Moderator
    NECROMANCY!
    *casts Holy Photon Torpedo*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.