test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Creative Interpretation of "Exploit"

sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
First of all i want to apologize to my friends here who spent any time with me power leveling in Argala.

I spent a bit of time testing out various things about Delta Rising on tribble before it was released and when the the xpac was released i had lots of good information that i shared with everyone, including good locations for power leveling toons. In fact, as you might recall, on the very first day i had a floating group running helping everyone out with leveling up.

Cryptic has now retroactively decided that our method of leveling up is an exploit as per the updated Official statement here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1268701

quoting the relevant part:
While many players participated a little in the exploited maps, very few really took advantage of it to excessively level characters. We identified this small number of players, and we have removed the excess levels from these characters.

To me this is a changing of the rules a week and a half after the release of the XPac. This is punishing players for using a game mechanic that has been in the game since it was launched. This is also punishing the players for poor game design and implementation by the devs.

The devs ****ed up and shifted all the blame to us the players. SHAME ON YOU.

To all my friends i'm very sorry i exposed you to this. What the devs have done is beyond shady. i am now considering my options: perhaps going back to EvE, WoW, Diablo3 or even the new Civ game coming up soon. I feel really uncomfortable playing a game where the developers can stab their players in the back like this.

Again i'm sorry to my friends if any advice i have given you caused your characters to be rolled back.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    While many players participated a little in the exploited maps, very few really took advantage of it to excessively level characters. We identified this small number of players, and we have removed the excess levels from these characters.

So.... it WAS all taken away deliberately?!! laughingtrendy had the nerve to steal 300,000 XP points from me, when I was never even near Tau Dewa?! Has she finally gone completely mental!? :mad:
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    *reads updated statement*

I didn't use this excessively, and I still lost a few levels.

**** this, I'm playing Titanfall.

*leaves*

*door hits his butt*

DAMNIT.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    So.... it WAS all taken away deliberately?!! laughingtrendy had the nerve to steal 300,000 XP points from me, when I was never even near Tau Dewa?! Has she finally gone completely mental!? :mad:

correct, it's not a bug. IT'S INTENTIONAL.
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Incorrect, you can't blame Trendy for this.. she's just delivering the news.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    *reads updated statement*

I didn't use this excessively, and I still lost a few levels.

**** this, I'm playing Titanfall.

*leaves*

*door hits his butt*

DAMNIT.

What I want to know is where they drew the line of "excessive" and "not excessive". While they don't have to tell us the exact exploit perhaps they can let us know what was the determing factors.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    billdunbilldun Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Didn't players power level on the test server the exact same way?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    billdun wrote: »

yes we did. some of even made videos of it.
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Good God I'll admit I don't have all the information of what happened, how it happened, or for what reason...but all I know is stuff is getting toxic around here...and it's leaving a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    narrheehawnarrheehaw Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Kill more dil, get those n00bs to pay more to feed the game.
    This, is the goal, of narrheehaw
    It's mission, to destroy new worlds and civilizations
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And to boldly ruin, what no one has ruined before.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    correct, it's not a bug. IT'S INTENTIONAL.

But, honestly, I wasn't in Tau Dewa at all! (Come to think of it, I probably was, after all, for a few seconds, 'Leaving the system' in the Contested Zone, so as to immediately take the gate again to the Delta Alliance zone).

If this was all deliberate, then this was truly my last day in STO. And shame on you, laughingtrendy, for accusing people falsely! I expected more from you.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited October 2014

Nope. There was an NPC that gave you 1 level per day in the Jenolan Sphere :D...
  • Options
    eardianmeardianm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    But, honestly, I wasn't in Tau Dewa at all! (Come to think of it, I probably was, after all, for a few seconds, 'Leaving the system' in the Contested Zone, so as to immediately take the gate again to the Delta Alliance zone).

If this was all deliberate, then this was truly my last day in STO. And shame on you, laughingtrendy, for accusing people falsely! I expected more from you.

She's just the messenger for this disaster unfortunately
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    She had NOTHING to do with it, back off.

You exploited those exp from the game, and they were removed. You had no right to them in the first place.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    First, wow, that's just pathetic on their part if that is what's going on. Really want more info now.

Second, Trendy, I really hope your bosses appreciate you taking the bullet for them on this one. And people need to not attack her, she's just delivering the news.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I would 1st get my info correctly if you are going to start accusing the Community Manager of being Developers...
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Please stop blaming trendy for delivering news. I'm done with people blaming the community moderators. Enough is enough.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    She had NOTHING to do with it, back off.

You exploited those exp from the game, and they were removed. You had no right to them in the first place.

I exploited nothing, jack-TRIBBLE! I grinded up solo, on Elite, and never grouped together with anyone.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    In the end, the design of said exploit has embarrassed the ones who indirectly left it in the game.

>> ....
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I exploited nothing, jack-TRIBBLE! I grinded up solo, on Elite, and never grouped together with anyone.
    Woah woah take it easy there.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Can we please close this thread now????

We got the official thread announcing that the Developers locked down Tau Dewa due to exploits, if you got punished then oh well, you should have not exploited what you clearly knew was exploiting...
  • Options
    edited October 2014

what's worse is that they hid the fact they where admitting it was intentional by editing an earlier post many hours after it was originally posted.

I was never in Japori myself, i got all my spec points in Argala, in the queues, the DR story missions, and the other DR patrols. sometimes just by myself and sometimes with friends. Now i'm an exploiter...
  • Options
    billdunbilldun Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    yes we did. some of even made videos of it.

The devs had to know it was going on, and you'd have to be stupid to not expect it to continue once DR went live (then it becomes an exploit). SMH...

Good God I'll admit I don't have all the information of what happened, how it happened, or for what reason...but all I know is stuff is getting toxic around here...and it's leaving a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth.

No official response will do that. I don't think its done either. I don't know how they plan on fixing this. They're not going to take everyone's word on how many spec points they lost, and a rollback after a full day is going to TRIBBLE off another group of players. Unless they have another way to fix things, if indeed the spec points lost by some players were removed by mistake, I expect the rage to continue.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Us playing the missions they give us is exploitation.

Meanwhile, them devaluing our equipment and raising the cost on the new stuff is legitimate business.

The real exploit is in the way they treat us.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nope. There was an NPC that gave you 1 level per day in the Jenolan Sphere :D...

They only added that NPC after we complained about not being able to level fast enough to test the content.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Can we please close this thread now????

We got the official thread announcing that the Developers locked down Tau Dewa due to exploits, if you got punished then oh well, you should have not exploited what you clearly knew was exploiting...

I was never in Japori and i got punished. there are people who where in Japori and didn't have their spec points touched.
  • Options
    prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Edit: there is no hyphen in jackass.

Other than that, I agree 100%
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Dear Cryptic:

When some of your most enthusiastic players, those who have actively fostered a community excited about future content releases including ship traits, lock box goodies, new group content, etc, who have been actively helpful to other players learning the ropes, who have promoted your game via social media and streaming activities, and you decided to redefine what was in fact nothing more than a design oversight into an exploit. A design oversight that was publicly shared via your official forums, twitch, and in game chat from day 1 and remained after two patches. A design oversight that persisted in the public spotlight for nearly a week.

When you redefine that design oversight to exploit and then take punitive measures against those types of players, those types of customers, I have no words to adequately describe the stupidity of that action.

Cryptic, you did something wrong. You failed to realize your error for nearly a week. And now you are both insulting and taking punitive measures against some of your best customers.

:confused:

PS: I didn't loose any levels, I typically avoid grouping. This is just inane.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I was never in Japori and i got punished. there are people who where in Japori and didn't have their spec points touched.

Then you have nothing to worry about... and should not be pointing fingers...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    what's worse is that they hid the fact they where admitting it was intentional by editing an earlier post many hours after it was originally posted.

I was never in Japori myself, i got all my spec points in Argala, in the queues, the DR story missions, and the other DR patrols. sometimes just by myself and sometimes with friends. Now i'm an exploiter...

And you lost 40 points, right?! I would be seething, right now. Oh wait, I already am.

Even taking away points from people who actually DID exploit things (if it can even be called exploit) is a questionable practice as is; but I exploited nothing; and nor did you.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.