test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Warning: Playing the game = exploiting

skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
Everyone that has leveled their toon through anything other than the Delta Rising Episodes, gained skill points by killing NPC's other than the Vaadwaur, or generally played the game in any fashion as it was designed before Delta Rising is an exploiting scumbag and subject to punitive actions including bans, flogging, and an overall accusatory condescending attitude from the devs. You have been warned.
Post edited by skurf on

Comments

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    then i am guilty :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This thread is bad and you should feel bad. Hyperbole, plain and simple.
  • skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    This thread is bad and you should feel bad. Hyperbole, plain and simple.

Hyperboles exist for a reason: to make a point.
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    skurf wrote: »
    Everyone that has leveled their toon through anything other than the Delta Rising Episodes, gained skill points by killing NPC's other than the Vaadwaur, or generally played the game in any fashion as it was designed before Delta Rising is an exploiting scumbag and subject to punitive actions including bans, flogging, and an overall accusatory condescending attitude from the devs. You have been warned.

Im in trouble then. Level 52-55 (which Im currently at) has primarily been done through Dailies in Eta Eradini, Deferi Sector, Tau Dewa Daily, Undine Battlezone, A handful of Normal Conduit runs.

I admit it. Im a horrible human being. I hang my head in shame.
    edited October 2014
    Hyperboles exist for a reason: to make a point.

Fallacy makes for a poor point.
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The way in which our community has reacted to this lockout, without knowledge of the details is quite sad.

Its an illustration of the degree to which we now trust cryptic. Which is to say we don't. There was a time when far more of us would have given them the benefit of the doubt.
    edited October 2014
    Fallacy makes for a poor point.

It's hyperbole, not fallacy. They called doing Patrol missions in Tau Dewa exploitative. These are missions designed and put in the game by the devs. Hence, playing the game as it was designed is now considered exploitative and you all should be ashamed for playing STO.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No one has been banned. At most, the estimated punishment is a level rollback. Cool the Tribbles, man.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited October 2014
    No one has been banned. At most, the estimated punishment is a level rollback. Cool the Tribbles, man.

and if they do that bet this forums will blow up like it has never seen before ;) and to be frank i like see how they do that with out rolling back the entire server ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited October 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    and if they do that bet this forums will blow up like it has never seen before ;) and to be frank i like see how they do that with out rolling back the entire server ;)

Probably by warping into Tau Dewa and rolling back every 51-60 they see.

Or maybe they'll just take the Romulans.

Who gives a TRIBBLE about them?

Not the Federation, I tell you!

:D
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    HEY IM ROMULAN! And I worked Hard helping my fleet to 60 in Tau Dewa i was not exploiting at all
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Probably by warping into Tau Dewa and rolling back every 51-60 they see.

Or maybe they'll just take the Romulans.

Who gives a TRIBBLE about them?

Not the Federation, I tell you!

:D

I shall grab my Ha'non and make them go sit in a gravity well.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
    edited October 2014
    semalda226 wrote: »
    HEY IM ROMULAN! And I worked Hard helping my fleet to 60 in Tau Dewa i was not exploiting at all

im a romulan my fleet mates a true fed so again like to see how they do it without rolling back the entire server i also help several other feds get to 60 also
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The way in which our community has reacted to this lockout, without knowledge of the details is quite sad.

Its an illustration of the degree to which we now trust cryptic. Which is to say we don't. There was a time when far more of us would have given them the benefit of the doubt.

1.) Theres plenty of information on the matter. Numerous unconnected players have stated they witnessed a Dev ask players in-game how quickly they were leveling a few minutes before the lockout.
    2.) This has been boiling since the announcement of Delta Rising. The Tribble Feedback being ignored was a blaring red flag. Anyone who has been around long enough knows when Cryptic asks for feedback and ignores it. They intend to shoot themselves in the foot.

This company has a long history of royally TRIBBLE up and not learning their lesson from it. Its not like Players were being vague about what they were looking for in content. Difficulty actually meant creating content that required thought when approaching an enemy. We didnt get that. We got Mobs with 10-100 times their HP with no change to their AI. Resulting in longer but not tougher battles. We also received content that was so spread out we were told we'd have to replay old missions to generate the amount of XP to get to the next level and the next piece of the puzzle. When Players decided theyd sideline DR Content and simply power-level to 60 in Tau Dewa. Suddenly the most popular area for Power-Leveling gets locked down. And we're to believe it wasnt because we werent putting in enough time in DR Content? That its a coincidence that an 'exploit' was discovered in the very area that people are Power-Leveling?
    edited October 2014
    It's hyperbole, not fallacy. They called doing Patrol missions in Tau Dewa exploitative. These are missions designed and put in the game by the devs. Hence, playing the game as it was designed is now considered exploitative and you all should be ashamed for playing STO.

A single set of missions was circumventing something intended to be longer-term (ship mastery, specializations) in a way no other content in the game can even remotely match. This is out of line with the way the rest of the game behaves. Comparing these broken missions directly to missions that award XP as expected is imbecilic. Your hyperbole is also fallacy, as it is creating a false equivalence. "They're both content you play, there's no difference between an exploit and a mission working as intended!" is basically what you said, isn't it?

Don't get me wrong, Cryptic should have actually done testing on Tribble and caught this long before now and I don't think anyone should be punished, but to deny what we did was exploitative is at the very least dishonest.
    edited October 2014

You are the worst of the worst. Not only did you play the game as it was designed and leveled up in the process, but you had the audacity to team with your fleetmates (in an MMO no less!) to help them achieve the same unscrupulous ends. I would edit your post before a dev sees it.
    edited October 2014

Kanye West: The Federation President does not care about Green People.

Captain Moonshadow: :eek:

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It is not the responsibility of the player to read Cryptic's mind and decide what is an "exploit" and what is "working as intended"... Hell, Cryptic doesn't even seem to have a set standard for answering that question themselves.
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A single set of missions was circumventing something intended to be longer-term (ship mastery, specializations) in a way no other content in the game can even remotely match. This is out of line with the way the rest of the game behaves. Comparing these broken missions directly to missions that award XP as expected is imbecilic. Your hyperbole is also fallacy, as it is creating a false equivalence. "They're both content you play, there's no difference between an exploit and a mission working as intended!" is basically what you said, isn't it?

Don't get me wrong, Cryptic should have actually done testing on Tribble and caught this long before now and I don't think anyone should be punished, but to deny what we did was exploitative is at the very least dishonest.

how do you think we leveled on tribble?

with this "exploit" it was the only way to get levels so we could test the missions as they kept them behind the level gate so cryptic was well a ware of this way before launch. it's only now that it's on holodeck is it "bad"
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • shaokarshaokar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    1.) Theres plenty of information on the matter. Numerous unconnected players have stated they witnessed a Dev ask players in-game how quickly they were leveling a few minutes before the lockout.
    2.) This has been boiling since the announcement of Delta Rising. The Tribble Feedback being ignored was a blaring red flag. Anyone who has been around long enough knows when Cryptic asks for feedback and ignores it. They intend to shoot themselves in the foot.

This company has a long history of royally TRIBBLE up and not learning their lesson from it. Its not like Players were being vague about what they were looking for in content. Difficulty actually meant creating content that required thought when approaching an enemy. We didnt get that. We got Mobs with 10-100 times their HP with no change to their AI. Resulting in longer but not tougher battles. We also received content that was so spread out we were told we'd have to replay old missions to generate the amount of XP to get to the next level and the next piece of the puzzle. When Players decided theyd sideline DR Content and simply power-level to 60 in Tau Dewa. Suddenly the most popular area for Power-Leveling gets locked down. And we're to believe it wasnt because we werent putting in enough time in DR Content? That its a coincidence that an 'exploit' was discovered in the very area that people are Power-Leveling?

I wholeheartedly agree, I've been around the game long enough to go from laughing at the content decisions, through raging at the content decisions to simply just shrugging and been thankfull i at least have a fleet and friends i can talk with while facepalming so hard i give myself a concussion over the going ons around this game and its 'competent' and 'forthcomming' dev team.
  • mavfinmavfin Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Seriously, guys?

Surely none of you are stupid enough to think that if there's a zillion 'kill 5 groups of ships' patrols in the game, BUT, the advice is 'go to this ONE patrol, do it this way, and get a bunch more experience than the other ones give!'...that they won't nerf it. Or are you?

It always amuses me. Before DR, this forum was full of people complaining that the game is too easy. And what do a bunch of people do when DR comes? Find the easiest, most xp-rich patrol to do, and run it till PWE nerfs it, then act surprised. Amazing.
    edited October 2014

For one, that mission was working as intended. It was put in the games by the devs and it's not like it's new to DR. It's been here for a long time and it's always been the same.

So what we have is people that play their game the way it was designed and then get called exploiters by the devs. I had a lot of exaggerations in my OP, but one thing I was not exaggerating about was when I said the devs have an overall accusatory condescending attitude. Myself and many others are being called exploiters because we grinded a mission in the game to level our toons. Instead, they should acknowledge that the expediency of the experience-gain while doing these missions was something they overlooked before releasing Delta Rising. It is their fault that players can power-level in these systems; not ours, and we shouldn't be the ones to bare the blame.
    edited October 2014
    mavfin wrote: »
    Seriously, guys?

Surely none of you are stupid enough to think that if there's a zillion 'kill 5 groups of ships' patrols in the game, BUT, the advice is 'go to this ONE patrol, do it this way, and get a bunch more experience than the other ones give!'...that they won't nerf it. Or are you?

It always amuses me. Before DR, this forum was full of people complaining that the game is too easy. And what do a bunch of people do when DR comes? Find the easiest, most xp-rich patrol to do, and run it till PWE nerfs it, then act surprised. Amazing.

this is the thing most of them ppl were talking about elite stf not doing story content i play the game on normal so i dont give a TRIBBLE about how easy what is i care when i come back to the game after a year and a half feels like im back in 2010 leveling again i got to stop story content to go grind out a whole level because cryptic cant make enough content for every level..................
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited October 2014
    Seriously, guys?

After eliminating every other way to actually do their grind, they leave one outlet, then get upset when people use it.

The community is rightly voicing their displeasure at that fact.

There are two words you should look up. Tedious and Challenging.

We want challenging content. We've been given tedious content- in the extreme.

You can be amused by that if you want, but you're being pretty narrow minded in doing so.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Jeebus, are you all clueless on how the game works? The exploit wasn't running the patrols on elite. The exploit was using a 60 with a lower level toon...like say a 50 and level matching to them to get STUPID silly high exp. Like you can level up 6 or more times in an hour high if your doing ths right. Not that I agree with them tacking this before other issue mind you...but there actually was an exploit...a REAL one...albiet one that doesn't matter that much due to refine time gate.

This is true. I saw in the chat some was asking for groups like this. With "power level" including in the txt. So it was an exploit.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I check nine counts of witchcraft in this thread, prepare to be closed.
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cidstorm wrote: »
    I check nine counts of witchcraft in this thread, prepare to be closed.

Don't you mean burned at the stake?
  • darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    After eliminating every other way to actually do their grind, they leave one outlet, then get upset when people use it.

The community is rightly voicing their displeasure at that fact.

We want challenging content. We've been given tedious content- in the extreme.

Cant disagree with that. Ive spent more time than I care to admit in the delta quadrant and may not go back. Not even the EMH is worth the hassle as far as I'm concerned. Making it take an hr to kill one small group of ships is just ridiculous. Went back tonight and looked at the available DQ sector patrols and they are all garbage except for one and that ones not all that great, wasted a lot of time for very little gain. I really could care less about anything that's come with DR at this point. The total lack of XP and mind numbingly long missions to go with the client crashes and everything else has me on the fence about how much farther I really want to go with this game. For the time being Ill just go back to Dyson Ground since its about the only content worth playing . Getting half the dilithium for an STF that takes twice as long to finish is no longer fun. The Ground STF's are ok if they don't bug out like infected ground advanced at the END. The only thing that makes this content successful is all the people they duped into spending 120 bucks on the DR pack
  • mavfinmavfin Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Making it take an hr to kill one small group of ships is just ridiculous.

THIS is what's ridiculous. If it takes you an hour to kill one small group of ships, even in the Delta Quadrant...you're doing it wrong. I'm no tac jockey with stacked consoles and cannon, either. Just an engineer with some Mk 12 beams and one torpedo launcher, and I'm not taking anywhere near that long to kill stuff. Is it slightly longer than we're used to in level 50, power-creep content? Sure, but, the difference is only a couple minutes, not an hour. Maybe that was an exaggeration on your part, but, if a couple minutes longer is too much for you...I'm not sure what to say.
    edited October 2014
    As a point of reference, I DPS 10k+ pretty reliably, and I found some of the later DR patrol missions pretty Tedious.

I was actually really enjoying battles with the Vaadwaur early on... but then there just got to be sooo many of them.
This discussion has been closed.