test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

You know your old when...

v1ctor1stv1ctor1st Member Posts: 183 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Ten Forward
....you remember playing each one of these games when they first came out...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3949/15366935549_a473f76736_b.jpg

I also have Birth of the Federation, SFC 1, SFC 2-EAW and a few others i cant find the box for....
AhvtPz9.jpg
  • "You know when that shark bites, with its teeth dear... scarlet billows start to spread..."
Post edited by v1ctor1st on

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You've got an odd idea of what's old...

Even this wouldn't make some folks feel old: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-star-trek-strategic-operations-simulator_8517.html
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Playing THIS on our 20" Console Color TV (which was as wide as a 60" LED TV now) at Nine (9) years old...

Then getting a Coleco-Vision for Xmas a few years later.

THATS OLD.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You were just starting high school when the Radio Shack TRS-80 (link) came out :eek::cool::D
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You were just starting high school when the Radio Shack TRS-80 (link) came out :eek::cool::D

Or you were right out of college when you bought your first computer, the Kaypro 10 Link
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited October 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    Playing THIS on our 20" Console Color TV (which was as wide as a 60" LED TV now) at Nine (9) years old...

THATS OLD.

You young whippersnapper! That's not old! THIS is old, and yes, I played it the first year it was out.

Prior to that, I was playing the pinball machines (the ones I could find a booster stool for anyway) at all the greasy spoon restaurants and burger joints.

I also played Colossal Cave, though admittedly I didn't encounter it until the early 80s.

And since Star Trek video games were posted, this was my first one.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My first Trek game was Star Trek 25th anniversary for the NES, then I eventually got it for PC, and never stopped playing PC since.

I miss playing that game as a kid with my TMNT PJ's, and with my TMNT bed sheets.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    And since Star Trek video games were posted, this was my first one.
    Ah, the C64. Some of my earliest programs were written on them - the craps program that would gloat when it was ahead and accuse the player of cheating when it was behind, for instance. Or the odd hobby a friend and I developed, after reading about POKEing memory locations; we'd go to the local department stores, find where they had a C64 on display in the electronics department, then run a short program that would display "I'M BROKEN" in the center of the screen, then POKE 288,0. That command placed a 0, or "false" flag, into memory location 288 - where the poor thing stored the fact that it had a keyboard. After a while, the store personnel caught on to the fact that they could "fix" the computers by turning them off and on.

Had my greatest gaming triumph on one, too, playing the old AD&D game Pool of Radiance. Went the wrong way on a short boat trip, wound up on the island with the temple to the evil god Bane when my party was way too low-level for it, then accidentally entered through the back door. Came into the sanctuary, where 300 orcs were worshiping, and the fight started. After a while, everyone was down and leaking HP, except my fighter, standing there with his last three hit points and stubbornly swinging away with his battleaxe. I had MTV on in the background (this was back when they played music videos, if you can believe that, kids), and Tom Petty's song "Won't Back Down" was playing. And just as I was resigning myself to losing the fight, and really hitting the chorus of the song ("Hey, baby, there ain't no easy way out/Hey, I won't back down..."), the orcs failed their morale role and began fleeing in the face of this crazed warrior who just. Wouldn't. DIE. I got the last few stragglers, then got back to the party, patched them up before they hit -10 HP and died, looted the temple, and got the heck back to town pronto.

Good times, man... good times...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,101 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ...like 50 years from now
    ...it'd be even more epic if it was still live then lol.

Maybe when it closes they'll make it a single player game with a multiplayer... Concept
    Kinda like it already is but playable in offline mode.

Oh, and released for consoles so that it maybe might be remembered and not buried in the sands of time
    The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    still got my old casette player, large keyboard and tv stored in the storage hut of mine along with a lot of old junk from the late 80's early 90's at the back and the newer stuff on top an near the back coming to the newest up front. it would take hours getting through all that.

used to play some dos games, although i can still play them through dosbox, a little while back i did one must fall 2097, made it all the way to ultimate after a week playing, lost interest with it, was in the middle of an old childhood favorite cosmo's cosmic adventure and not long after blood and corridor 7 and then major stryker and bio menace then many more after this.

this isnt that old on the old timer scale :P. but on todays computer gamer scale its as old as as the first sumer king in comparison. utterly ancient.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • zbzznzbzzn Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You've got an odd idea of what's old...

Even this wouldn't make some folks feel old: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-star-trek-strategic-operations-simulator_8517.html

Heh, that does make me feel like I'm getting up there in age except I had the VIC-20 version which came on one of those fancy "cartridges". Many of my other games were on cassette tapes, had to be typed in from a computer magazine or just had to be created from scratch.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,442 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    I had an NES with Super Mario Bros 3.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You know you're old when...
    v1ctor1st wrote: »

I also have Birth of the Federation, SFC 1, SFC 2-EAW and a few others i cant find the box for....
    ...posts like this pop up and you think "Seriously? Those titles came on CD, I remember loading programs fro tape storage..."
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My first computer was an Acorn Electron, back in '82. A whopping 32K of RAM, and 5 minutes or more of horrible screeching noises to load games from a cassette tape.

I just counted myself lucky to have a colour monitor instead of one of those old green screen ones. :D
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    You know your old when...

...You realise that it's spelt you're :P.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited October 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    My first computer was an Acorn Electron, back in '82. A whopping 32K of RAM, and 5 minutes or more of horrible screeching noises to load games from a cassette tape.

...and you liked it. I didn't know the Acorn, but if it is anything like the Commodore, it was not uncommon to have to reload once or twice, taking 15 minutes to get the simplest of games running. And we were willing to endure it because we felt the games were awesome. (that and we'd just play the Atari 2600 cartridges in the other room until it was ready) :rolleyes:
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    the primary school i used to be in had these acorn computers back then, must of been around mid ninties when i was around 7 years old, still remember it. used to play some sort of adventure game on it, puzzle interaction that lead to going along a tarmac road between hedges, trees and grass. dont remember much but then at home used to have win 3.1 system :P. man that system rocked :D then the most imfamous operating system win 95 came along, i mentioned infamous for its bsods and other serious errors.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I had an NES with Super Mario Bros 3.

I still have my NES and Super Nintendo in a box around here somewhere.
    Have about 20 game cart's. for them also.

My first computer class was during my JR year at high school (1975).

We had to make up about 80 punch cards and put them through a reader, that was connected to a main-frame through the phone-line to the local state college.

It would then come back to us through a desk-sized printer and reams of computer paper, eventually creating a two foot tall printout of Snoopy dancing (made out of X's and /'s and ( )'s)

Took almost five minutes to print and if even one of the cards you started with had a 'DOT' in the wrong place, it didn't work.

You could hear the printer chugging along, throughout the entire third floor of the school.

That's where I learned FORTRAN & BASIC also.

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited October 2014

I would like to give Birth of the Federation a spin, but places like GoG.com does not sell it. I wonder who owns the rights to it since Microprose is no longer around...

It seems like a nice alternative to STO when the servers go down...
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm not old, but I remember my first online game- comm-bat on an Atari 400 with a 1200 baud modem and monochrome monitor.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I mentioned "Napster" in an infosec discussion on Twitter. The entire security community has now branded me "old".
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I remember owning both a Vectrex and an Atari 2600 when I was 4 years old. Need to get Vectrex for the iPad to relive the good old days.
    edited October 2014
    You owned a Vectrex? Too bad you don't still have it around - probably go for a lot these days.

The first computer I actually owned was a Timex-Sinclair 1000 - bubble membrane keyboard, 2k onboard memory (I also had the 16k expansion module, which was about the size of a pack of cigarettes), plugged into a TV for a monochrome display, and stored programs on cassette, like every good home computer of the era. Nothing prewritten - you had to type in programs from magazines. The durn thing was about the size of a hardback book, and just up and disappeared one day. My father replaced it with a Vic-20, because someone had heard I had "a computer" and gave me a Vic-20 cartridge they had gotten at a garage sale.

The cassette was one reason why, when I was in the Air Force and finally bought a computer for myself (my first C-64), I sprang the extra for the floppy drive. No more spending twenty minutes waiting for software to load off the cassette, no sirree! Only five minutes from the floppy!! :) Weird part was the cracked software you could pick up - half the time the graphics on the cracking credit screen made the game itself look pitiful. I never figured out why some of those folks didn't just write their own games and cut out the middle man.

I even ran a BBS on that thing - the Time Warp, in Omaha, NE (I was stationed at Offutt AFB). Custom software from a friend, who ran Alpha Centauri and served as sysop for a number of other BBSes that used his program. Sure glad I upgraded from the 300-baud modem to a 1200-baud before I did that!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well my first star trek game owned that is was This

But the first video game i played well game ? PINBALL!!!

My first gaming system was an atari 2600 when it was new and state of the art damnit :)
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    You owned a Vectrex? Too bad you don't still have it around - probably go for a lot these days.

The first computer I actually owned was a Timex-Sinclair 1000 - bubble membrane keyboard, 2k onboard memory (I also had the 16k expansion module, which was about the size of a pack of cigarettes), plugged into a TV for a monochrome display, and stored programs on cassette, like every good home computer of the era. Nothing prewritten - you had to type in programs from magazines. The durn thing was about the size of a hardback book, and just up and disappeared one day. My father replaced it with a Vic-20, because someone had heard I had "a computer" and gave me a Vic-20 cartridge they had gotten at a garage sale.

The cassette was one reason why, when I was in the Air Force and finally bought a computer for myself (my first C-64), I sprang the extra for the floppy drive. No more spending twenty minutes waiting for software to load off the cassette, no sirree! Only five minutes from the floppy!! :) Weird part was the cracked software you could pick up - half the time the graphics on the cracking credit screen made the game itself look pitiful. I never figured out why some of those folks didn't just write their own games and cut out the middle man.

I even ran a BBS on that thing - the Time Warp, in Omaha, NE (I was stationed at Offutt AFB). Custom software from a friend, who ran Alpha Centauri and served as sysop for a number of other BBSes that used his program. Sure glad I upgraded from the 300-baud modem to a 1200-baud before I did that!

I still have my Vectrex, and it works perfectly. The overlays for some of the games run upwards of 50 bucks now.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    used to play some dos games, although i can still play them through dosbox, a little while back i did one must fall 2097, made it all the way to ultimate after a week playing, lost interest with it, was in the middle of an old childhood favorite cosmo's cosmic adventure and not long after blood and corridor 7 and then major stryker and bio menace then many more after this.

I played and still have most of the install disks for all of those games. I spent way too much time on one must fall back in the day :eek:
  • catjarrettcatjarrett Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Traveling to Oregon isn't easy! But if you're a banker, you'll have more money for supplies and services than a carpenter or farmer.
  • kuntelkuntel Member Posts: 16,484 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You're old if you remember when Billy Joel was the Piano Man, and a young one at that.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    The overlays for some of the games run upwards of 50 bucks now.

Lol, again, I was 4 years old when I owned it. There was a single electronics store in Puerto Rico that carried it and its games.
  • catjarrettcatjarrett Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kuntel wrote: »
    You're old if you remember when Billy Joel was the Piano Man, and a young one at that.

You win. I only remember when he was an Innocent Man.
    edited October 2014
    Heck, I'm so old I remember when Elton John thought he was in the closet!

(Reggie, when you come onstage wearing a feather boa and sunglasses that would impress Liberace, then change into a Donald Duck costume, your closet door's wide open, kid. We all knew. We just liked your music too much to embarrass you by pointing it out.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png