test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Female Odyssey uniform clipping issues after DR

jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Graphical and Sound Issues
After DR launch, and some model improvements (kudos btw), we have some clipping issues with combadges & Belts, specifically with Female Odyssey uniforms.

My settings, which affect the glitches

Pictures are worth 1000 words. Used purposefully distinctive colors, for contrast and glitch display in the images. Used two images, with Dress & Long jacket uniform, in "Twitchy" stance, as an example.

Combadge used: TNG Movie
Belt used: Jupiter

l5X3jPU.jpg
lobaxgx.jpg

Stances affected by combadge clipping:
  • Twitchy
  • Swagger
  • Relaxed
  • Thoughtful
  • Brawler
  • Creature
  • Feminine
  • Cute
  • Gruff.

The combadge glitch also occurs with Odyssey Excursion and Odyssey regular.

Combadges clipping:
  • TNG Movie
  • Lifetime Combadge
  • Science, Engineering, Command Combadges,
  • Motion picture combadge
  • Alternate future Variant
  • TOS Command
  • TOS Medical
  • TOS Operations
  • TOS Science
  • Bajoran
  • Odyssey 1
  • Odyssey 2
  • The Orginal Series Dress Uniform 1
  • The Orginal Series Dress Uniform 2
  • The Orginal Series Dress Uniform 3
  • The Orginal Series Dress Uniform 4

Belt clipping:
  • Wintercoat black
  • Wintercoat brown
  • Jupiter
  • Enterprise Mirror Universe
[10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
"bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
"Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2014
    We will have fixes to both male and female Odyssey uniforms coming soon. They will work with all badges and ranks and they will have added minor improvements to skinning and fit as well (most noticeable are arms retaining form while in "Thoughtful" stance).
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    We will have fixes to both male and female Odyssey uniforms coming soon. They will work with all badges and ranks and they will have added minor improvements to skinning and fit as well (most noticeable are arms retaining form while in "Thoughtful" stance).

That'll help, and the elbows could use some more work in poses where they're bent, like when holding a rifle.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Since we are talking about Odyssey uniform improvements - Would it be possible to add a version of Odyssey belt for females, which sits at the same height as the Jupiter one? That's generally my only 'aesthetic' thing with Odyssey uniforms, as currently, while the Odyssey belt looks nice on short jackets, it just sits too low on the long jacket & Dress uniform & imo looks just horrible, which is why I use Jupiter belt instead.

For comparison...

Male with odyssey belt on long jacket, female with Jupiter veteran, and female with odyssey.

It just reallllly sits too low on the Long jackets/Dress uniforms for females. :(

"Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Hmmmm....took another quick look at these, and not sure the fixes will address your particular combination of settings.

I can push the sliders to their limits in most cases with no clipping, but you've maxed out quite a few sliders either at the biggest or smallest setting.

It may be impossible to prevent all clipping in every conceivable combination, especially when pushing the limits. ...unless we further limit the min max of the settings to prevent those extreme edge case combinations...and I'm sure no one wants that :)

If the next patch doesn't fix it for you, unfortunately you may need to scale back on a setting or two to avoid the clipping.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Since we are talking about Odyssey uniform improvements - Would it be possible to add a version of Odyssey belt for females, which sits at the same height as the Jupiter one?

The next update will have a hopefully acceptable compromise. The Odyssey dress belts have been raised some - fitting the bottom edge of the belt with the bottom edge of the short jacket, while the excursion belt remains lower on the hips.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Hmmmm....took another quick look at these, and not sure the fixes will address your particular combination of settings.

I can push the sliders to their limits in most cases with no clipping, but you've maxed out quite a few sliders either at the biggest or smallest setting.

It may be impossible to prevent all clipping in every conceivable combination, especially when pushing the limits. ...unless we further limit the min max of the settings to prevent those extreme edge case combinations...and I'm sure no one wants that :)

If the next patch doesn't fix it for you, unfortunately you may need to scale back on a setting or two to avoid the clipping.
    Well, I've aimed to make a properly bulky female, with small 'TRIBBLE', aiming for as flat chest as possible, which was previously impossible, and this was the combination of sliders, which made it possible. :(

• Options
    captainpurplecaptainpurple Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Seems my boots are also clipping with the Odyssey pants since the update. The boots are sticking out the back of the pants. I think I'm using the TOS nurse uniform boots. Everything else is looking good. Thanks for all the effort with the new release. :)
    free jkname
    bergins wrote:
    "General Server Stability" means they are bolting the servers to the floor, right? Wouldn't you be upset if Branflakes were to go stumbling into the server room, knock a rack over, and bring the game down for a DAY? SO, they aren't scrwing it up, they are bolting it down.
  • Options
    millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Since we are talking about Odyssey uniform improvements - Would it be possible to add a version of Odyssey belt for females, which sits at the same height as the Jupiter one? That's generally my only 'aesthetic' thing with Odyssey uniforms, as currently, while the Odyssey belt looks nice on short jackets, it just sits too low on the long jacket & Dress uniform & imo looks just horrible, which is why I use Jupiter belt instead.

For comparison...

Male with odyssey belt on long jacket, female with Jupiter veteran, and female with odyssey.

It just reallllly sits too low on the Long jackets/Dress uniforms for females. :(
    The next update will have a hopefully acceptable compromise. The Odyssey dress belts have been raised some - fitting the bottom edge of the belt with the bottom edge of the short jacket, while the excursion belt remains lower on the hips.

I'm going to have to add that I actually prefer the lower-fitting belts and was happy to get them in the form of the Odyssey belts, seeing as there aren't that many good looking belts that sit lower on the hips for certain appearance combinations.

I do a lot of mix-and-matching and rely a lot on all three Odyssey belt variants, so I'd rather prefer if there be a separate belt for alternate positions instead of limiting options.

For instance, I prefer using the Odyssey dress belt specifically with the excursion look, especially for the lower-fitting belt look, so...changing that wouldn't really work for those of us who use such combinations, I'd think.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    millybun wrote: »
    I'm going to have to add that I actually prefer the lower-fitting belts and was happy to get them in the form of the Odyssey belts, seeing as there aren't that many good looking belts that sit lower on the hips for certain appearance combinations.

I do a lot of mix-and-matching and rely a lot on all three Odyssey belt variants, so I'd rather prefer if there be a separate belt for alternate positions instead of limiting options.

For instance, I prefer using the Odyssey dress belt specifically with the excursion look, especially for the lower-fitting belt look, so...changing that wouldn't really work for those of us who use such combinations, I'd think.
    Right now, all Odyssey belts sit too low, to look any good on Female Dress/Long Odyssey jacket. I see that as very limiting, since the Odyssey belts are 2410's "canon", and there's currently no way to make them look good on these two female variants of the uniform (Long/Dress Odyssey).

I'm not arguing your point, of there not being lower-sitting options for belts, but equally, I believe that there should be at least some Odyssey belt variant, which looks comparable nicely on long jackets, as the male model has it.

• Options
    neuro1gneuro1g Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I also noticed that large boots clip out the back of the odyssey pant on males. I use the 'bulky tall' boots with the odyssey pants on my male characters and they show through the back. I checked it out with other boots and at least the 'leather' and 'section 31' boots did the same.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Right now, all Odyssey belts sit too low, to look any good on Female Dress/Long Odyssey jacket. I see that as very limiting, since the Odyssey belts are 2410's "canon", and there's currently no way to make them look good on these two female variants of the uniform (Long/Dress Odyssey).

I'm not arguing your point, of there not being lower-sitting options for belts, but equally, I believe that there should be at least some Odyssey belt variant, which looks comparable nicely on long jackets, as the male model has it.

Meanwhile I feel all the Odyssey belts *do* look good on those Odyssey jacket variants, though it's more likely a matter of a character's body shape and how the belts sit on them as well as personal taste than anything else.

Frankly, the way my character looks now, being of a more feminine shape where belts *do* look good hanging on the hips somewhat, if the Odyssey dress belt (or any of the current Odyssey belts) are replaced by higher-sitting belts, then it'll change the look I was going for considerably.

I don't tend to use the other belts because of how high up they are for most uniform appearances I make.

Example images to follow:

My Andorian captain in her Odyssey long jacket with my favorite belt variant, the dress belt.

My Andorian captain in her Odyssey duty uniform with the excursion pants and dress belt.

My Andorian captain in her Intel uniform with Dyson skirt and Odyssey dress belt (seeing a theme, yet?).

My Andorian captain and BOffs all using the Odyssey dress belt.

Basically, I rely on the Odyssey belts for the way they are now, otherwise I don't use many of the belts. Same for my KDF characters, as there's only a few low-slung belts that fit certain looks. Lower-fitting belts like these also hide the slight (or worse) seams that stick out between some less-fitting attire combinations.

So, please, if you're going to alter the belts, at least add *alternate* versions of the same belts so those of us who rely on the way those specific belts look aren't cast out of using and enjoying their current and preferred uniforms and fashions.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Meanwhile I feel all the Odyssey belts *do* look good on those Odyssey jacket variants, though it's more likely a matter of a character's body shape and how the belts sit on them as well as personal taste than anything else.

Frankly, the way my character looks now, being of a more feminine shape where belts *do* look good hanging on the hips somewhat, if the Odyssey dress belt (or any of the current Odyssey belts) are replaced by higher-sitting belts, then it'll change the look I was going for considerably.

I don't tend to use the other belts because of how high up they are for most uniform appearances I make.

Example images to follow:

My Andorian captain in her Odyssey long jacket with my favorite belt variant, the dress belt.

My Andorian captain in her Odyssey duty uniform with the excursion pants and dress belt.

My Andorian captain in her Intel uniform with Dyson skirt and Odyssey dress belt (seeing a theme, yet?).

My Andorian captain and BOffs all using the Odyssey dress belt.

Basically, I rely on the Odyssey belts for the way they are now, otherwise I don't use many of the belts. Same for my KDF characters, as there's only a few low-slung belts that fit certain looks. Lower-fitting belts like these also hide the slight (or worse) seams that stick out between some less-fitting attire combinations.

So, please, if you're going to alter the belts, at least add *alternate* versions of the same belts so those of us who rely on the way those specific belts look aren't cast out of using and enjoying their current and preferred uniforms and fashions.
    Well, I agree with you. A higher sitting Odyssey belt, like the males have it, separate from *all* Odyssey belts, would be the best solution. I mean, the belt models exist, and it's matter of altering a height belt sittinhg and couple of polygons... a copy/paste work, so to speak, so why it wasn't considered in the first place...

But, as it is now, I'll take a compromise of having one Odyssey belt looking nice on long jackets, than having none. I am on the opposite side of spectrum, and I definitelly don't go for 'feminine' or 'sexy' look, but it doesn't make my proposal any less valid than yours, and it's only fairer that we do get somewhat higher sitting Odyssey belt as well.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Well, I agree with you. A higher sitting Odyssey belt, like the males have it, separate from *all* Odyssey belts, would be the best solution. I mean, the models exist, and it's matter of altering a height and couple of polygins... a copy/paste work, so to speak, so why it wasn't considered in the first place...

But, as it is now, I'll take a compromise of having one Odyssey belt looking nice on long jackets, than having none. I am on the opposite side of spectrum, and I definitelly don't go for 'feminine' or 'sexy' look, but it doesn't make my proposal any less valid than yours, and it's only fairer that we do get somewhat higher sitting Odyssey belt as well.

My issue with one Odyssey belt being altered as a compromise is that, besides the fact that I personally prefer *that* belt (the dress belt), it makes it less mix-and-matchable with the rest of the Odyssey set.

What if I have a crew that utilize different belts to help differentiate their jobs and positions on the ship and crew, but otherwise use the exact same uniform? Anyone with even a minor eye for detail might start noticing that a portion of their crew decide they all want to wear *one* specific type of belt higher than everyone else's, at least among one specific gender of the crew.

That being just one example, it really does limit options when the whole point of having all these variations *is* for options. If we want more options, then instead of removing potential options, it would be better to have an alternate set of belts that sit higher while leaving the lower sitting ones alone.

Basically, don't take *my* preferred options away from me; I like the Odyssey dress belt, I like lower-sitting belts, they look good on a variety of my characters and BOffs, in a variety of mix-and-matched attire that is not just Odyssey long jackets (of which they look good to me as is on on my own characters and others), and they help hide some seams as well.

Add, don't remove or alter so much that they become useless to those of us who like them for how they are.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    My issue with one Odyssey belt being altered as a compromise is that, besides the fact that I personally prefer *that* belt (the dress belt), it makes it less mix-and-matchable with the rest of the Odyssey set.

What if I have a crew that utilize different belts to help differentiate their jobs and positions on the ship and crew, but otherwise use the exact same uniform? Anyone with even a minor eye for detail might start noticing that a portion of their crew decide they all want to wear *one* specific type of belt higher than everyone else's, at least among one specific gender of the crew.

That being just one example, it really does limit options when the whole point of having all these variations *is* for options. If we want more options, then instead of removing potential options, it would be better to have an alternate set of belts that sit higher while leaving the lower sitting ones alone.

Basically, don't take *my* preferred options away from me; I like the Odyssey dress belt, I like lower-sitting belts, they look good on a variety of my characters and BOffs, in a variety of mix-and-matched attire that is not just Odyssey long jackets (of which they look good to me as is on on my own characters and others), and they help hide some seams as well.

Add, don't remove or alter so much that they become useless to those of us who like them for how they are.
    I am *not* arguing the fact it'd be better to have separate Odyssey belts, specifically sitting higher for Dress/Long jackets, next to what we have now. It would be.

I am arguing the fact, that if this is currently the only way to get a higher sitting belt, by choosing one out of THREE variants - yes, you still have two left, whereas as it is now, I don't have the luxury of variety as it is now, in other words, I have none, then I'll gladly take it, over the sexualized lower sitting one, which does look bad on what I am going for, with my body shape. (I'd never wear my belt on a long jacket uniform like that, no offence.)

I can argument the same. You are not the only one, who themes their crew in some way. All my males use the Odyssey belt, on long jackets. I can't do it with my female crew, because, with the body shapes I go for, it flat out looks horrid and does not fit. I'm therefore forced to use the Jupiter belt, to make it look comparable for my females.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I am *not* arguing the fact it'd be better to have separate Odyssey belts, specifically sitting higher for Dress/Long jackets, next to what we have now. It would be.

I am arguing the fact, that if this is currently the only way to get a higher sitting belt, by choosing one out of THREE variants - yes, you still have two left, whereas as it is now, I don't have the luxury of variety as it is now, in other words, I have none, then I'll gladly take it, over the sexualized lower sitting one, which does look bad on what I am going for, with my body shape. (I'd never wear my belt on a long jacket uniform like that, no offence.)

I can argument the same. You are not the only one, who themes their crew in some way. All my males use the Odyssey belt, on long jackets. I can't do it with my female crew, because, with the body shapes I go for, it flat out looks horrid and does not fit. I'm therefore forced to use the Jupiter belt, to make it look comparable for my females.

I don't agree that it'd be best to alter one belt in a set of matching belts that are meant to be swappable with any other part of the whole uniform set it was made to work with, for all the reasons I've made thus far. It won't work for those of us who *use* that belt and prefer it as is.

Yes, it would work for you, but that would be taking it away from people who use it for its appearance and position as is.

I like the Odyssey dress belt specifically because it has the Starfleet delta on it, it's lower-fitting, and perfectly works with the rest of the Odyssey uniform parts. It's current position also helps to hide some of the seams from some uniform combinations. If it gets altered, then it forces me to use a belt I don't like as much.

So sure, it sounds like a good compromise to you by getting a belt that fits the way you want it to, but that comes at the expense of someone like myself who use that specific belt for how it is currently. Not such a good compromise for me when I don't like the other Odyssey belts as much.

The only compromise that would work is additional belt variations that utilize the same appearance but positioned differently while leaving the other belts alone to be used as is.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I don't agree that it'd be best to alter one belt in a set of matching belts that are meant to be swappable with any other part of the whole uniform set it was made to work with, for all the reasons I've made thus far. It won't work for those of us who *use* that belt and prefer it as is.

Yes, it would work for you, but that would be taking it away from people who use it for its appearance and position as is.

I like the Odyssey dress belt specifically because it has the Starfleet delta on it, it's lower-fitting, and perfectly works with the rest of the Odyssey uniform parts. It's current position also helps to hide some of the seams from some uniform combinations. If it gets altered, then it forces me to use a belt I don't like as much.

So sure, it sounds like a good compromise to you by getting a belt that fits the way you want it to, but that comes at the expense of someone like myself who use that specific belt for how it is currently. Not such a good compromise for me when I don't like the other Odyssey belts as much.

The only compromise that would work is additional belt variations that utilize the same appearance but positioned differently while leaving the other belts alone to be used as is.
    You are repeating yourself & your case is not getting any stronger with me. Three currently "STO canon" belts, all of them being low-sitting on females, looking bad on long/dress jackets on females, unless you go for the exaggerated 'feminine' shape, which I just won't go for, ever & I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's simply fair to get at least *one*, which varies.

PS: For the record, I don't care if we get the regular Odyssey belt or the Dress odyssey belt to sit higher, for the usage on the long/dress jackets. I just want *one*, don't care which variant.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    You are repeating yourself & your case is not getting any stronger with me. Three currently "STO canon" belts, all of them being low-sitting on females, looking bad on long/dress jackets on females, unless you go for the exaggerated 'feminine' shape, which I just won't go for, ever & I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's simply fair to get at least *one*, which varies.

PS: For the record, I don't care if we get the regular Odyssey belt or the Dress odyssey belt to sit higher, for the usage on the long/dress jackets. I just want *one*, don't care which variant.

I'm partially reiterating as to why your position on altering one belt for everyone to fit your character wouldn't work as a compromise and why this is more of an argument of personal preferences than it is about absolutes.

The cat is already out of the bag and people are using these uniforms and belts, so the point is if a belt that is made to match the other three is positioned differently after having been in use for months now in a game where you can use uniform parts in nearly any combination you desire, that would alter the appearance of outfits where that belt is in use. It's not like it's an error, the belts were made to be this way originally.

While my character does have more of a feminine shape, I do have others and BOffs who aren't as "exaggerated," and I feel the belts look fine in their position as is. I'd argue that your female character used in your examples is more exaggerated in their physical masculinity and not the norm when it comes to the regular female shape.

However, I'm not saying a female character with a very masculine shape is wrong or bad, as there's diversity among people of all genders, even if it isn't a regular appearance. That's what makes people unique. But that shouldn't necessarily dictate how all characters/people should appear.

Yes, your character would benefit from a higher-sitting belt and it would be nice to have *alternate* Odyssey belt options that sit higher, even for me if I decided to have a character I want that for. It could happen (I have enough alts, though >_<). But removing an option, any option, when people may prefer it as it is, isn't necessarily the best way to do it. So I'll continue to suggest additional belts and not permanent changes to a belt that's been used a certain way for months now.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    For the last time - I am not arguing that it wouldn't be the best for us to get an additional Odyssey belt, which sits higher, comparable to where the regular Jupiter one sits. I am not, and I'd be, sorry to say, stupid to argue about the evidently best option.

And, equally, counter-logic to your argument - don't take potential additional option from me, just because you want all options to be feasible to -you-, while none to other people, who prefer much less 'exaggerated' shapes. I am only taking this stance, as it doesn't seem we will get that separate Odyssey belt, which, again, would be the best option. So, it is still a compromise, like it or not.

PS: Yeah, don't even start the TRIBBLE about shapes' 'standard' here, that could get really heated with me, as I don't accept *anything* as standard for one or another sex & it'd be highly contraproductive for the sake of this thread, which I want to be constructive, and not full of heated discussions.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    For the last time - I am not arguing that it wouldn't be the best for us to get an additional Odyssey belt, which sits higher, comparable to where the regular Jupiter one sits. I am not, and I'd be, sorry to say, stupid to argue about the evidently best option.

And, equally, counter-logic to your argument - don't take potential additional option from me, just because you want all options to be feasible to -you-, while none to other people, who prefer much less 'exaggerated' shapes. I am only taking this stance, as it doesn't seem we will get that separate Odyssey belt, which, again, would be the best option. So, it is still a compromise, like it or not.

PS: Yeah, don't even start the TRIBBLE about shapes' 'standard' here, that could get really heated with me, as I don't accept *anything* as standard for one or another sex & it'd be highly contraproductive for the sake of this thread, which I want to be constructive, and not full of heated discussions.

I'm not suggesting options be removed from you that don't yet exist in the first place. I'm suggesting it'd be better to add, not remove, options, that's all. It would be a benefit to *everyone* that way, and not solely to a single party. However, if that's not an option, it would be better to err on the side of caution and not fix something that isn't straight up broken until such a time as it can be safely amended without stepping on toes.

Speaking for myself, I use all three belts across a variety of characters and BOffs, and while I prefer the Odyssey dress belt, I *enjoy* them as they are, with how low they are compared to the other belts on female shapes. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I was excited to find out they were low-fitting belts when they first came out.

There may be others who feel as you do, more or less, and I am not saying I don't feel the same as far as character shapes go, but I'd also argue there's others who'd feel similarly to how I feel about this.

In the end, the belts are already in the game, they have been for some time now. Anything else is mere potential, as you say. It's hard to get upset at losing something that isn't available as opposed to losing something that is already in use and enjoyed as is.

As for "standard shapes," I didn't really say there was a specific standard shape, all I basically mentioned was your shape is a little more rare for a female shape and so is more difficult to cater to in a game that, for all its expansive tailor features, is still quite limited. Anything beyond has nothing to do with this discussion.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I'm not suggesting options be removed from you that don't yet exist in the first place. I'm suggesting it'd be better to add, not remove, options, that's all. It would be a benefit to *everyone* that way, and not solely to a single party. However, if that's not an option, it would be better to err on the side of caution and not fix something that isn't straight up broken until such a time as it can be safely amended without stepping on toes.

Speaking for myself, I use all three belts across a variety of characters and BOffs, and while I prefer the Odyssey dress belt, I *enjoy* them as they are, with how low they are compared to the other belts on female shapes. In fact, I'd go so far as to say I was excited to find out they were low-fitting belts when they first came out.

There may be others who feel as you do, more or less, and I am not saying I don't feel the same as far as character shapes go, but I'd also argue there's others who'd feel similarly to how I feel about this.

In the end, the belts are already in the game, they have been for some time now. Anything else is mere potential, as you say. It's hard to get upset at losing something that isn't available as opposed to losing something that is already in use and enjoyed as is.

As for "standard shapes," I didn't really say there was a specific standard shape, all I basically mentioned was your shape is a little more rare for a female shape and so is more difficult to cater to in a game that, for all its expansive tailor features, is still quite limited. Anything beyond has nothing to do with this discussion.
    And I was equally disappoionted/upset, that the new, now STO canon belts didn't have a high-sitting version. So your argument is again, rather out, that it's not possible to be upset over an option which isn't there. I was upset, and I am still upset, that most games cater to overly "appeal to male" female shapes in games. I was happy to see improvements in tailor, which allow us to go away from that, if we so choose, but the belts simply... do bother me a lot, as I too want to make my crew properly uniformed, without me groaning upon sight, hating how the low-sitting belt looks like.

PS: Just because I prefer non-curvy shape, as it's actually more natual, when you wear ANY loose fitting clothes, which the Odyssey Long jackets clearly are, you'd NEVER see such exaggerated curves in the first place, that doesn't make my settings, and body shape as 'rare'. Geez...

• Options
    edited October 2014
    And I was equally disappoionted/upset, that the new, now STO canon belts didn't have a high-sitting version. So your argument is again, rather out, that it's not possible to be upset over an option which isn't there. I was upset, and I am still upset, that most games cater to overly "appeal to male" female shapes in games. I was happy to see improvements in tailor, which allow us to go away from that, if we so choose, but the belts simply... do bother me a lot, as I too want to make my crew properly uniformed, without me groaning upon sight, hating how the low-sitting belt looks like.

PS: Just because I prefer non-curvy shape, as it's actually more natual, when you wear ANY loose fitting clothes, which the Odyssey Long jackets clearly are, you'd NEVER see such exaggerated curves in the first place, that doesn't make my settings, and body shape as 'rare'. Geez...

I'm not saying you aren't disappointed at a lack of options that are not available, but I am saying it wouldn't do any good to pull/significantly alter options already available and disappoint others. There's still a clear difference.

As for female shapes, one doesn't have to study anatomy for art to know how different female and male shapes are, but speaking as someone who has done so fairly extensively, my opinion and observations tend to lean towards the fact that, in real-life, female shapes are more curvy than male shapes, the latter of which tend to involve more straight lines and narrow shapes. There's very rarely any overlap between the two, and while there are some, it's still rare.

This doesn't mean female shapes have to be extremely curvaceous, but it's more likely than a female being built like a masculine male. Even Renaissance artists, though having to base more bare imagery off of the male form for female figures, still knew enough about the female form to apply curves when appropriate, such as wider hips and softer, rounder shapes. Nowadays, we know more due to medical science that female shapes are generally significantly different due to a variety of things, including bone structure.

And yes, the female form would be more hidden due to baggier clothing, but STO doesn't have a whole lot of baggy attire in the first place. Starfleet uniforms tend to be more form-fitting and still show just enough to give an idea of the figure underneath.

All that aside, I'm going to end by stating I don't disagree in having more options and variations, but that means adding and not removing or significantly altering to the point of basically being removed as a desired option for others. I'd rather we get alternate belts and keep all three Odyssey belts currently available as is, and that's all I have to say.
  • Options
    hylanvahrhylanvahr Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    All this back n' forth forum tennis arguing over...belts, and how they sit on a character with extreme proportions? Um, no. I don't want any game-wide change to be made just to please one single player's desires. More than one, perhaps. Remember the needs of the many...

Please, crypticjoejing, do not make any changes to the odyssey belts whatsoever.

They sit perfectly fine on both my male and female characters. Please stick with your original vision and consider the far better tailor suggestions that have been posted elsewhere (including the elbow geometry issue with the excursion jacket that was mentioned earlier in this thread and others) Your hard work and time is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    [snip, to save space]
    I don't need lecture in either anatomy or art, to know, that esp. Odyssey Long/Dress Jackets are meant to be... 'Jackets'. Therefore, not as 'form-fitting'. As someone, who wore a real life uniform jacket during my service in Army reserves for my country, I know how nicely it hides my curves, heck, even wearing tux - and I'd get repeatedly mistaken for a guy. And some of these extreme shapes, even with a classic Starfleet uniform, you'd not be able to achieve realistically what for example your avatar has visible. That'd be only possible in some superb-uber tight spandex, or if you simply just drew the outfit on your body, rather than to wear any clothes at all. Since you wanted to argue this. It's your choice to have exaggerated feminine shape, all fine to me, as long as I'm not forced to do it & have equally similar choices in outfits like you and people with other, different aesthetic tastes.

My stance on this remains equally unchanged, so further arguing your point to me is a waste of my and devs' time.

If we can get a separate Odyssey belt for Dress/Long Jackets, which sits high, preferably to where Jupiter belts sit, by simply taking one of these Odyssey belt models, which exist already, copying it, adjusting the height where it sits, naming it as Odyssey Long Jacket, and voila, another belt born, great, I'd take that over upsetting anyone, any day, any time.

BUT - If it's not possible, then I'll take *any* Odyssey belt, doesn't matter which one out of the three, which sits higher, for the usage on the Long/Dress Odyssey jackets. Reasoning being, it offers variety to more aesthetic range, rather than all three Odyssey belts fitting just one, as it currently is.
    hylanvahr wrote: »
    All this back n' forth forum tennis arguing over...belts, and how they sit on a character with extreme proportions? Um, no. I don't want any game-wide change to be made just to please one single player's desires. More than one, perhaps. Remember the needs of the many...
    If it was always "the needs of many" aka the most vocal groups on the forums in most communities, we'd never see tailor changes to female model ever, esp, the additional new sliders, we've got with DR, which finally offer more variety, in terms of what shape you get, etc. I remember the flak I got here, on those forums, when I even "dared" to propose changes, and additions to tailor, such as the boob slider allowing actually small size and waist slider. No wonder, that people who don't want to see barbie dolls everywhere just don't speak up, because they get equally flak'd out. So, no, it's not "needs of many", it's merely the needs of "the most vocal ones", who bother visiting these forums & speaking up here.

Also, your argument over 'extremely proportioned character', made me laugh... the person arguing their point with me, has extreme proportions as well, just apparently, more "acceptable" than mine, because it's what the most vocal group of posters wants... large hips, butt and TRIBBLE. Have you checked those pictures, even? I'd guess not. :D

PPS: A good example of how an uniform should work, and that my idea of character is not 'extreme proportions character', by wanting to hide curves... to your viewing pleasure, here. A female in uniform done right

• Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    done right

Opinion.

But yeah tweaking an existing belt is pretty much the opposite of a "compromise". It alters something very few people have had any complaints with to satiate the taste of a couple of vocal posters. That's not compromise, that's an outright change in your favor. That's bad and it shouldn't be happening, period.
  • Options
    mainmarine20mainmarine20 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Opinion.

But yeah tweaking an existing belt is pretty much the opposite of a "compromise". It alters something very few people have had any complaints with to satiate the taste of a couple of vocal posters. That's not compromise, that's an outright change in your favor. That's bad and it shouldn't be happening, period.

I have also taken a moment to look at this belt configuration and I agree that is should be brought up on the waist to match that of the Jupiter Force belt. I am fully for having a higher sitting Odyssey Belt on ALL Female character variants because no matter how Jan wants to build her character, she should be able to make every detail the way she wants. And not have to conform to the ideal Female body type that is glamorized in society. IE the Kim K. of STO does not work for every STO player. Some want to be more natural and fitting. That is what is right.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have also taken a moment to look at this belt configuration and I agree that is should be brought up on the waist to match that of the Jupiter Force belt. I have fully for having a higher sitting Odyssey Belt on ALL Female character variants because no matter how Jan wants to build her character, she should be able to make every detail the way she wants. And not have to conform to the ideal Female body type that is glamorized in society. IE the Kim K. of STO does not work for every STO player. Some want to be more natural and fitting. That is what is right.

The best possible outcome for everyone involved is a second set of female belts set higher up the waist like the male versions. Players who prefer the current belts do not have their look taken from them, and folks who prefer belts like Jo wants get to have their belts. Everyone is happy, nobody loses. This is what is right.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    The best possible outcome for everyone involved is a second set of female belts set higher up the waist like the male versions. Players who prefer the current belts do not have their look taken from them, and folks who prefer belts like Jo wants get to have their belts. Everyone is happy, nobody loses. This is what is right.
    I agree with this being the best solution, despite of still accepting even the compromise brought by "joejing" before. The Odyssey belt models are in game, it shouldn't be time consuming to make at least "copy/paste" work of *one*, name it Odyssey Long Jacket Belt, have it sit where Jupiter sits, as a separate piece, and be done with it. I don't even need all three, seriously, just one is completelly fine.

Heck, I'd even pay Zen for it... :(

• Options
    hylanvahrhylanvahr Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Also, your argument over 'extremely proportioned character', made me laugh... the person arguing their point with me, has extreme proportions as well, just apparently, more "acceptable" than mine, because it's what the most vocal group of posters wants... large hips, butt and TRIBBLE. Have you checked those pictures, even? I'd guess not. :D

PPS: A good example of how an uniform should work, and that my idea of character is not 'extreme proportions character', by wanting to hide curves... to your viewing pleasure, here. A female in uniform done right

Wow. So...basically a female head surgically attached to a masculine body. Got it. Your rigid view of "fe"male body image is so noted. A certain Mary Shelley story comes to mind. Would be so much easier just to make a straight up male character. Problem solved.

But I see your deep psychological need to break social norms and flatten that chest as much as possible, AND force that view upon the rest of society (or at least the rest of the STO community). Women simply can't be feminine. Nope. No sir. So wrong and objectifying! Is that about right? Double mastectomies are available.

jexsamx's solution also solved the problem. Excellent compromise. This forum seriously needs more ideas like that. The question is, does crypticjoejing even care anymore at this point? I wouldn't if I were him. Far too many more important priorities for the game and the tailor system.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Wow. So...basically a female head surgically attached to a masculine body. Got it. Your rigid view of "fe"male body image is so noted. A certain Mary Shelley story comes to mind. Would be so much easier just to make a straight up male character. Problem solved.

But I see your deep psychological need to break social norms and flatten that chest as much as possible, AND force that view upon the rest of society (or at least the rest of the STO community). Women simply can't be feminine. Nope. No sir. So wrong and objectifying! Is that about right? Double mastectomies are available.

jexsamx's solution also solved the problem. Excellent compromise. This forum seriously needs more ideas like that. The question is, does crypticjoejing even care anymore at this point? I wouldn't if I were him. Far too many more important priorities for the game and the tailor system.
    No polite words for you, kind sir.

It wasn't jexsamx idea to add additional belt, using the Odyssey, but sitting it higher, as a separate costume piece, it was originally mine, and joejing simply answered with what they were going to do. But someone didn't bother reading my post at all... Ding.

PS: No, I'm not saying 'you can't be feminine', so don't put words into my mouth. That's something I really don't like. What I don't like, is when this "femininity" is forced on me - not everyone likes exaggerated settings and scream 'female, TRIBBLE, butt' each time they run around in STO. And quite frankly, this concept is moreoften forced on female models in games, than not. I've been trying to have this change, when we have a *choice* to not do that. And, the female models were a largely on the cartoonish/comic-book side before DR. Again, matter of taste, but having a choice is which matters.

PPS: Since you felt a personal attack was necessary - My settings are frankly, more natural for any woman who wears *clothes*, which are not tight spandex, therefore, less curvy. Unfortunatelly, I needed to set sliders to "extreme", to be able to get that look, which is why people like you jump the bandwagon, to attack me with some sort of 'masculine jibberish'. For your viewing pleasure, Jeri Ryan, in an uniform - and she is quite endowed, we all know that, and the uniform does not reveal them all that much, as you seemingly expect - Jeri Ryan in uniform. So no, expecting a less endowed character, which mine is designed to be, would not be showing curves all that much, thusly, is not unnatural or supposedly 'masculine'.

I'm done defending my standpoint in this topic, but will kindly indulge you in PM, if you so desire, to not further mess this topic up. Also, I should not even need to defend my standpoint, at all.

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Stop that. Nothing is being forced upon you or anyone else. And don't even try the "b-but I'd be forced to look at it!" TRIBBLE.

Even ONE of my female characters probably has more T&A than all of yours/your friend's characters ever had combined. Would it hurt ME if someone else's female character was as flat as a board? No. No reason why you can't tolerate it either.