test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pixel Shader Compilation Failure

2»

Comments

• kamatsudashkamatsudash Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm getting the exact same msg every time I load the game. Not seeing any other graphical issue's, but am getting weird lag spikes in ground combat (and only in ground combat).

My specs/settings in case it helps:

Windows 7 64-bit
    8 GB ram
    AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.7
    AMD R9 270x 4 GB VRAM
    Catalyst 14.9 WHQL drivers
    Resolution: 1920*1080
    In-game DX: DirectX 9ex (I can do 9, 9ex or 11 - 9ex has worked best for me previously)
    Graphics settings -
    - VSync on
    - Fullscreen
    - everything else on/maxed (ie AF 16, max shadows, etc)
  • rockybonnerockybonne Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ok so i finally was able to switch over to dx9, for those having the problem of not being able to find the options.. make sure you're not in compatibility mode when you launch the game. i had run the compatibility test before because of the crash and it didn't help.
    Processor : Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3.30 GHz
    Physical Memory : 32 GB
    Video Card : Nvidia GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
    Operating System : Windows 10 Enterprise 1803 (64bit)
    DirectX : Version 12
  • penguin44ca1penguin44ca1 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yup, still happening to me. Also patrols with nebula in Delta quad chug, all other maps fine.
  • bravecatherinebravecatherine Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The pixel shader error only happens on DX9.
  • incubus1980incubus1980 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jslyn wrote: »
    I am getting this when I log in, too.

I am using DX9 and an Nvidia GeForce 250 GTS graphics card.

Here is a screen shot:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/infernos_caress/ShaderError_zpsaa38d406.jpg

I have the same setup, and I am getting that error, also my gfx card seems to crash a lot more after DR update.
  • cosmicsunwindcosmicsunwind Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    is this shader compilation error at the start of the game related to constant crashes I am getting all of the time?

I've stopped letting the launcher re-check the game files now because it clearly doesn't make a bit of difference, it will crash eventually again anyway.

fix your godamn code you TRIBBLE devs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    The pixel shader error only happens on DX9.

no it doesn't
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fyremousefyremouse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Pixal Shader compilation error just reared its head tonight. I had been playing just fine on my last week but downloaded the latest patch this evening and now I cant make it thru the Mirror invasion without a crash to desktop.

On either the Nvidia Quattro Pro or the Intel 4000 Integrated HD, both fail .
    Proud to be a Lifer.
    I earned my 1000 days the hard way and I still come back...
  • prfg2012prfg2012 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Been getting the Pixel Shader Error since yesterday, gameplay is limited to a few seconds. Then crashes and requires a system hard re-boot. Have reinstalled the game, no luck. Have player around with the graphics settings and no luck.
    Playing on the iMac and up until now everything has been great!! So annoying.
  • lirgolirgo Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jslyn wrote: »
    I am getting this when I log in, too.

I am using DX9 and an Nvidia GeForce 250 GTS graphics card.

Here is a screen shot:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/infernos_caress/ShaderError_zpsaa38d406.jpg

Same thing for me. For UI displays fine but characters and gameplay are crappy and look like I'm running them on a pre-95 pc.
  • raymetraymet Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's been some time since I last played STO and wanted to try out Delta Rising. Needless to say, this bug is making the game pretty unplayable. Just adding my voice to this in case Devs are tracking it.
  • lttiernylttierny Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ever since i started getting this bug
    shades have been weird in game, like trees will look pink and textures are all messed up. not sure if it has to do with this, but never know
    Space The Final Frontier These are the.. .You know what, scratch that, we are just making this up as we go...
  • rorytshollrorytsholl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    After I log in to the game i get the message Pixel Shader Compilation Failure, while the character is loading/ Zoneing in. once i am in the game there is lag that almost freezes my game and my computer, i end up going to the main map (M button) and changing to another instance to get the lag to stabilize. my computer then playes the game normally with no lag what so ever once it gets past the log on lag and it only does this once on the very first character i log on to. any ideas on how to resolve this issue?
    edited December 2014
    Is this ever going to be fixed?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • projectdv2projectdv2 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hi. This is a completely benign error message and likely has nothing to do with any other issue you're experiencing.

Specifically, it's trying to compile an MSAA depth resolve shader in DX9 mode. This is a DX11-only feature. DX9 doesn't even support that and we have other ways of resolving the MSAA depth buffer that don't involve using its own shader.

I'm sorry, but I feel the need to call foul. Yes, it's possible I'm experiencing two completely different problems, but they both started occurring at the exact same time, when I updated to DR. I get the error message as the game is loading up, and I enter the game to intolerable lag. I need to basically log into a character and leave the computer for five minutes to do other things before the game finally stabilizes and returns to a normal framerate, and the transition is very sudden.

And for the record? I'm using DirectX 11, not 9.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've only been having these issues since the first patch of the winter event, but it's left the game entirely unplayable. The pixels are one thing, but i'm also crashing to desktop every time i'm in combat. The sheer fact that so many people are having issues like this really makes you wonder why they keep adding minor things that nobody asked for, instead of halting production just to fix all of the growing number of bugs. Adding new things without fixing the old is just going to cause more issues and instabilities, which isn't really helping the fanbase when they've been just making things worse.

With how long this has been happening for me alone, I find that unacceptable, so knowing that there are people in the game who have been having it at least twice as long just makes it deplorable, which looks bad on Cryptic (which already has a negative reputation). They need to quit changing things no one asked for, and fix the things that are breaking the game for players. I finally broke down and dropped the money for the DR pack not too long ago, so I'm more than a little pissed that I can't even play the game after (stupidly) spending that much money on it. They need to fix this soon, or start making it up to those who can't even get in long enough to grind.
  • mechaczmechacz Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have this pixel issue too. Lags only sometimes, nothing crucial.
    But bigger problem are new systems in Delta quadrant, usually with different background color ones, where my fps going down drastically, even on absolute minimum slider settings. I dont have this issue anywhere else in older sectors, just there.
  • enes82enes82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have this pixel bug problem too.:mad:
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't know how it can be said the pixel shader error has no effect, you can see it on my start screen:
    http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/blonderabbette/stostartscreen_zpsf5596eee.jpg
    looks to me like color was lowered to 16-bit.

Also my crew (on the start screen) was replaced with clones of one of my bridge crew during this same update.

My error message:
    http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/blonderabbette/stopixelerror_zps066203e6.jpg

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • chrisrobetchrisrobet Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hey I'm new and I keep getting the pixel shader error making my game look like something out of the 90's I like the game but I can't get into it because of how crappy the pixels make it look. I'm on a macbook pro if that helps diagnose the error.
  • chrisrobetchrisrobet Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd say it's safe to assume no one has a troubleshoot for this? I've tried deleting and reinstalling multiple times.
  • prfg2012prfg2012 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Nope, nothing that i've found yet. So annoying.
  • undeguyundeguy Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    chrisrobet wrote: »
    I'd say it's safe to assume no one has a troubleshoot for this? I've tried deleting and reinstalling multiple times.

Are you guys running it in Dx9ex mode?

I just built a new computer a few weeks ago (old computer went to my sister and her family), and one of the issues I had was a couple of crashes to desktop and even a hard crash (full system lock up). I switched to Dx9ex (from auto) in the display options for the game and that's when I started getting the pixel error message too.

Right now, I switched it to Dx11 display #1 (I think it's cause I have two monitors). And the pixel error went away... the question is... will my game start locking up again since I haven't played long enough yet.
  • changsawchangsaw Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Is this issue related to the black screen bug, where only the character and UI shows but all scenery is black? Works fine for the first play session after creating a character, but after relogging scenery has no textures anymore :(
  • xxblacksolxxxxblacksolxx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I haven't been on for quite a while (and I mean a few years).

Using an Acer Aspire 5532 (default except for better memory at same levels). Getting the same errors with the pixel shading, and tried every option availiable, INCLUDING running the System through a properly configured Box. From what I've seen regarding the errors, they need to fix it, and quick.

I know how to fix it, but without the code for the game, I'm simply a bystander just like the rest of you players in the game. My suggestion is (for the ZEN Players at minimum)...post and keep on em. Personally, if I spent on the game, I would keep incoming complaints to the max.

Very simple...maby a mistake was made, but it should be easily correctable in ANY means. SUPPORT AND CORRECT IF NEEDED, or, close it all is how I see it. At minimum, go back to a previos version that allowed us all to play. and get ON IT.

(n yes, sorry folks, but I ain't spent a penny here, but...truth stands. THEY need to fix and do it soon, or lose quite a few others) I have around 30 others around me that would like to try the game out and join me too. Most of them would like to 'excell' (IE SPEND $$$)...lets see if this gets them moving..if not, then I personally am letting this go along with my friends.
  • avengerctc25avengerctc25 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have had this error message since Delta Rising released as well, however it doesn't seem to effect my graphics at all, except sometimes on the loading screens I can see blurred out textures through it.