test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Varanus Support Ship

ciranferaciranfera Member Posts: 58 Arc User
As the topic says, I was looking through the ships I owned on my klingon and I noticed this cute thing being "Available" for me to claim. I have never seen anyone fly one before, Ive never flown one before and I'm a Tactical captian thats bored of the "DPS" rush. So I say what the hell and fit one out...

About 1 Elite STF later and a small intermission backed by the jeopardy theme, And I'm already flying the Fleet version of it.

I have to say its one of the most fun things I have on my klingon. I got these awesome healing drone platforms that are like having hazard emitters on the fly, endlessly. I got this sensor ability for the ship that can increase everyone damage on target by 30% [ish] Combined with a nice fire on my mark from my captain and it seems to help the team melt things so fast.

So heres a little story from an STF- HIVE ELITE, Were gana call this scimitar "Fred" And Fred is the happy go lucky, BFAW Scimitar that loves to parse logs. Show off his mighty DPS and brag. Now Fred, the adorable rapscallion doesn't seem to have much tank. In fact I had to zip on over, Heal him [Four times] And save him from the brink of death. With Hazard emitters, Transfer shields, Engineer team. Tac team.. And so-on so fourth.

Fred does not like this. And as close as I can quote without being pulled aside for badn language I think he said. "Get out of that **** Ship and do more DPS. " followed by me repairing him again. And with him following up with. "Worthless Tac" - Fred Did not like me saving him. So Onto the next teammate... As Fred learns what 4 tac cubes can do. And some spheres...

So I head over to another teammate who is 'frankly', Getting chewed up like a lawn flamingo fighting a weed whacker. Now this teammate I'm gana call "Billy". Now billys in a cruiser. Looks like a Fleet Assault cruiser, And hes getting burned alive by the plasma burns. So I go over and decide to save him for a change. Now Fred, Probably thinking he is hot stuff by now learns what a handfull of cubes and Spheres can do.

Fred dies. Really..really fast.

Fred did not like this, At all.

"Stop being a **** Healer and heal me!" - Fred.

Skipping to the end of this round. Fred parsed the logs, And my little Varanus, Using only 3 photons and 3 turrets did a whopping 5k DPS, Fred did closer to 20K Dps. But lets look at this.

Fred was shooting my targets with sensors on them. *30% ish bonus for his dps. and everyone else.

Bonus DPS for fred alone. 5-6K DPS. Assuming he was shooting mostly the targets i was locked on.
Bonus from other teammates. probably 1-3k each, as they were in the middle. so rounding down. 5+1+1+1+5 =13k dps, from my end, helping the team. And I only had 3 photons, and small puttergun turrets.

Again that was rounded down for safety as i'm not the best at math.

Average round time, 15-18min.
If I never healed fred? Re spawn time.. About 3-4 Possibly waiting to re spawn from all his "potential deaths" That would have cut his dps, By alot!

So I'm a Tactical Klingon that flys a Fleet Varanus Support ship. And I'm proud of it!
Fred, Is a mad Scimitar who only wants to be the best and insult others. :(
Billy Is a Happy Cruiser who didn't have to repair after the round!
The other guys Also were happy for the heals inbetween!

Just thought this would be a fun experience to share! :D

PS: Where are all the other Varanus ships? D: No one flys em!
Post edited by ciranfera on

Comments

• howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I enjoy flying the varanus on my sci KDF but enjoy flying the BOP better I just feel I can do more. Now I dont fly the fleet version so if i ever get the ability to buy it, that might change my impression alot
  • caeloaeturnumcaeloaeturnum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I fly the regular version on my Gorn science officer with an all-Gorn crew. I love it. I've never been DPS crazy. I feel as though I contribute through control and healing, which is what I prefer anyway.
  • strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Heh. Been there.

Tac fed with a support cruiser.

You will run into the 'holier than thou; I know better' types off and on, and; you did what I normally do, quit helping them and help someone who is trying instead of being an TRIBBLE.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Yea... I agree. They rant about you Not helping kill things faster, then they rant about you not helping them stay alive, all the while insulting your existance because you're not uber l33t like they apparently are.

If someone has a problem with what I fly, they can go take a flying leap at a rolling donut.

I got a standard Varanus on my KDF as well, but I'm more of a Raptor/Cruiser captain over there, with some BoP and Carrier experience. My Varanus is geared up and ready to go whenever I feel like it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Got one, like it a lot. Haven't bought the fleet version yet because I'm waiting to see what DR brings with it. 500 zen might go towards a T5-U instead of a ship module. Guess we'll know in a few days.

I have mine set up with the Mk XII Jem Hadar space set, Polarons & quantum torps. I also have the barrier field console and the nadeon detonator. Tossed in the Dyson warp core because I had an extra in the bank. My KDF toon is a Gorn tac, so it seemed kinda natural to have one around to fly. Pulls more than my weight in non-elite content, but haven't gone into anything elite with it.

:cool:
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My Gorn scientist flew one with great relish until she got her Palisade.

Science ships are, in my view, among the most fun things to fly in STO.

And the Varanus is a fine science ship.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ciranfera wrote: »
    As the topic says, I was looking through the ships I owned on my klingon ...

Actually, your topic title just says the name of a ship. It mentions nothing else.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ya that ship is amazing
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    i haz varanus from free ship giveaway not long ago. so at least i can get a pure science ship for the kdf side now. it also has that cute repair drone thing, setup just out of range, let the drones goto work, its all good. you add that 8472 t5 rep active power, your laughing or trolling during a fight for a few moments :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have always liked the Veranus for the KDF. In light of all the Sci Ships in the game, it's mediocre but it's a pure Science Vessel and it's enough to get the job done for what you need these kind of ships to do.

The Temporal Science Vessels and Palisade, both counted among the best Science Vessels in the game, can be quite costly, esp. the former. But I've had the Veranus from a purchase long ago and all my KDF toons can use it.

Anyways, the Veranus is a science heavy ship, not a hybrid with LtCdr ENG or TAC thrown in. Just pure SCI. If you know how to make an Intrepid shine, then the Veranus is easy to work with.

The Repair Platform is a rather nice team support console. Drop 1 and whoever is nearby gets 2 hull repair drones. Over time, they can get another pair. The cooldown is rather short, so you can sprinkle the battlefield with several Repair Platforms that you know have high player traffic, so friendly ships passing by get these drones to follow them. This is a very handy team ability since it helps to top off everyone's hullpoints and lessen the need of hull repairs and save them for when it really matters.

The Veranus is a good support ship and very underrated. It's not a ship that's confused with its identiy *COUGH* Dauntless *COUGH*. It's a traditional, science heavy ship that is very good in team repairs, despite having a very mediocre ENG layout.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have the Varanus for my KDF sci (Yes, I have a KDF sci, yes such things exist :P) I built mine to do as much dps as possible which meant implementing a build without tac team, it works really well, it does between 600 and 1000 DPH with 6 beams, I've seen Fed cruisers struggle to do half that :P
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tbh, the anniversary/lobi dyson sci destroyer(and c-store one) is just plain better compared to the varanus in PvE, and the varanus unfortunately has an outdated boff layout, so its no wonder people avoid using it, sure it can be fun to fly the varanus if you know what you're doing, but you're still flying a subpar ship, and most don't like that.

i would love to see cryptic release a vesta analogue for the KDF.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    phoenicius wrote: »
    tbh, the anniversary/lobi dyson sci destroyer(and c-store one) is just plain better compared to the varanus in PvE, and the varanus unfortunately has an outdated boff layout, so its no wonder people avoid using it, sure it can be fun to fly the varanus if you know what you're doing, but you're still flying a subpar ship, and most don't like that.

i would love to see cryptic release a vesta analogue for the KDF.

They'll get us a "KDF Vesta" after they get us a Fleet Guramba ;)
    XzRTofz.gif
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    They'll get us a "KDF Vesta" after they get us a Fleet Guramba ;)

i know that :( , we'll never see a KDF vesta.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    It is fun to change things up and move away from the uber dps arms race craziness. Unfortunately, DR will change all that and everyone will have to DPS hard or GTFO.

I know, it's very sad.

It is, I thought DR was bringing in content that needs tanks and controllers? Like that Borg Disconnected one - one tank to take the aggro while the other ship scans ships sorta thing?

For now at least, the creep will quickly catch up and then things come full circle.

Anyway, back on track.

I like the Varanus. I was happy to see a bonus EXP event not long after I grabbed it so I took advantage and created/levelled a new KDF science toon specifically for this ship.

The build is quite general and not as focused as I would like, but it's good fun all the same.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Meh.....elitists, DPS obsessed freaks and players that "know best".....set phasers to ignore. :D Play your game, your style and have fun.

P.S. I use a Varanus on the KDF side. A few of them, actually. ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    After the Mirror Vo'quv, I think the Varanus has to be my second favorite kdf ship that I've flown.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    After the Mirror Vo'quv, I think the Varanus has to be my second favorite kdf ship that I've flown.

First mirror ship I ever picked up. Got it on the exchange for a bargain price. Very high on the fun scale. Sad to see these ships aren't going to be qualified for upgrades.
  • cassamirothcassamiroth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I bought the Varanus ages ago and rather enjoy it myself. While I'd much rather fly a Vo'Quv(mirror or otherwise), the better turning and superior healing and support capabilities of a Varanus keep me coming back to it. Between the platform and the volume of science powers... it offers something that you just can't get an equivalent of from another ship on the KDF side.

Kinda hoping they come up with an upgraded Gorn science ship along the Vesta's design concepts(including the aux weapons, hopefully in beam format this time :p), but I wouldn't count on it.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ciranfera wrote: »
    As the topic says, I was looking through the ships I owned on my klingon and I noticed this cute thing being "Available" for me to claim. I have never seen anyone fly one before, Ive never flown one before and I'm a Tactical captian thats bored of the "DPS" rush. So I say what the hell and fit one out...

About 1 Elite STF later and a small intermission backed by the jeopardy theme, And I'm already flying the Fleet version of it.

I have to say its one of the most fun things I have on my klingon. I got these awesome healing drone platforms that are like having hazard emitters on the fly, endlessly. I got this sensor ability for the ship that can increase everyone damage on target by 30% [ish] Combined with a nice fire on my mark from my captain and it seems to help the team melt things so fast.

So heres a little story from an STF- HIVE ELITE, Were gana call this scimitar "Fred" And Fred is the happy go lucky, BFAW Scimitar that loves to parse logs. Show off his mighty DPS and brag. Now Fred, the adorable rapscallion doesn't seem to have much tank. In fact I had to zip on over, Heal him [Four times] And save him from the brink of death. With Hazard emitters, Transfer shields, Engineer team. Tac team.. And so-on so fourth.

Fred does not like this. And as close as I can quote without being pulled aside for badn language I think he said. "Get out of that **** Ship and do more DPS. " followed by me repairing him again. And with him following up with. "Worthless Tac" - Fred Did not like me saving him. So Onto the next teammate... As Fred learns what 4 tac cubes can do. And some spheres...

So I head over to another teammate who is 'frankly', Getting chewed up like a lawn flamingo fighting a weed whacker. Now this teammate I'm gana call "Billy". Now billys in a cruiser. Looks like a Fleet Assault cruiser, And hes getting burned alive by the plasma burns. So I go over and decide to save him for a change. Now Fred, Probably thinking he is hot stuff by now learns what a handfull of cubes and Spheres can do.

Fred dies. Really..really fast.

Fred did not like this, At all.

"Stop being a **** Healer and heal me!" - Fred.

Skipping to the end of this round. Fred parsed the logs, And my little Varanus, Using only 3 photons and 3 turrets did a whopping 5k DPS, Fred did closer to 20K Dps. But lets look at this.

Fred was shooting my targets with sensors on them. *30% ish bonus for his dps. and everyone else.

Bonus DPS for fred alone. 5-6K DPS. Assuming he was shooting mostly the targets i was locked on.
    Bonus from other teammates. probably 1-3k each, as they were in the middle. so rounding down. 5+1+1+1+5 =13k dps, from my end, helping the team. And I only had 3 photons, and small puttergun turrets.

Again that was rounded down for safety as i'm not the best at math.

Average round time, 15-18min.
    If I never healed fred? Re spawn time.. About 3-4 Possibly waiting to re spawn from all his "potential deaths" That would have cut his dps, By alot!

So I'm a Tactical Klingon that flys a Fleet Varanus Support ship. And I'm proud of it!
    Fred, Is a mad Scimitar who only wants to be the best and insult others. :(
    Billy Is a Happy Cruiser who didn't have to repair after the round!
    The other guys Also were happy for the heals inbetween!

Just thought this would be a fun experience to share! :D

PS: Where are all the other Varanus ships? D: No one flys em!

Your story made me chuckle, I'm not even really that bothered by numbers but I have had similar experiences in what I consider to be the federation fleet variant of last years free giveaway science vessel.
    Honestly I fly a **** ton of different ships and that one is one of the few that makes me happy, not being worried about pure dps pounding is really liberating especially if you have teammates who accept your role within whatever mission it is, even if I do have to suffer one or two asshats along the way.
    I also have the Varanus on a tactical KDF toon, (it was free so why not if I have free ship slots), I'm going to give it a shot just for fun :)
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".