the0infamous wrote: »
This is correct, thank you. I've never particularly liked the klingons, even in the show. But that's beside the point. How do factions work here? Is it like in WoW, where none of the factions can interact? Or can a romulan captain talk to a fed captain without going pvp on each other?
wombat140 wrote: »
Or in Ten Forward (main section) itself! That's where all the forum RPers are at the moment.
rllaillieu wrote: »
Ten-Forward ain't got much for RPers. Most of the threads seem stagnant and the new threads created are kinda pointless in my opinion. I haven't seen much good forum RP around here. Okay, I haven't seen much good forum RP at all related to STO lately.
hawku001x wrote: »
Hey wombat. My approach was just to jump in and start it. It was open to anyone who saw it happening. I didn't discuss it at all; just set out a few rules at the beginning and established that people could hop on and off at their leisure. Wasn't the perfect approach, since the first thread went too 10-Forward crazy. But, I think, starting with a simplistic/uncomplicated setting and rules, and letting the group help grow it is a good way to go.
admiralnat wrote: »
I would have to agree.
the0infamous wrote: »
yeah @wombat140 , 3 people are enough ppl for an RP if they're interested enough. Besides that, you can always collaborate with other RPers. For example, I will join pretty much any RP thread, except for one with thousands of pages of one-liners. So count me interested.
Also, I wanted to make a thread in Captain's Table too, but too few people go in there, so perhaps starting a thread in Ten Forward would be a better idea.
1) New characters Yes/No? is this a strictly forum RP or is it happening in the STO game? if forum, than i think NO old characters, canon or original, should be allowed, simply because - at least in my 15 years of RP experience - people tend to bring in god-characters and say that since they've had this level 100 super-Q for decades, they should be allowed to dominate the galaxy. I've been guilty of this as well. I think if we all start a forum RP with one COMPLETELY original character with very base abilities, it will allow us to not only grow our characters' talents and powers organically, but also the development of their personality. it would also kinda distinguish the decent writers/actors from those who are simply doing what they want in order to get what they want. i hope this makes sense. Again, i've dealt with this for many years, and i've even done it myself, so it can happen. So I am very PRO-Starfleet Academy, at least starting out. I have an idea for that, if youre interested... In short, new characters YES. lol
2) TOS or Post TNG/DS9 timeline? POST, because I know very little about TOS due to not having seen TOS in many years. Also there is no real continuity with TOS. a lot of the episodes werent even in chronological order. in the pilot episode they went to warp in reverse, but i dont recall that ever happening again. So POST because it makes more sense, but also if we want to have the possibility of time traveling back into TOS era, we could discuss that as well.
3) Start with 100% forum RP or use a text chat program as well? Forum because life. I post more (and in greater length) than anyone else i've RPed with and I'm not bragging. It's a real hindrance sometimes. But you wouldnt want to read my posts in a chat format. HOWEVER, due to the fact that i often like to go back and forth with a couple people if im gonna be online for a longer period of time, i think chat or PM RP should be an option for more personal RPs, such as someone using a mind-meld, or a couple on the holodeck or something. Basically, if you want to keep mystery alive or do something else that's private. BTW, I'm EST, not that that matters.
4) Voice chat Yes/No? If yes IC voice chat or OOC only? [needs a 100% yes vote to pass] I can never do voice chat due to the fact that i dont usually have a private place to do so. I might be able to get on skype once a week or so, but that's the extent of it.
5) If you join this RP how often to you expect to make posts? at least once a day, generally two or three times a day, but I've been known to posts dozens of times a day. lol. It often depends on how interested i am in the RP, as well as what my day is like. I dont usually go more than two days without posting. also i highly highly highly recommend having a Posting Order.
6) How long do you want the forum/chat RP do go before we move RP into game? I dont really play STO that much so it doesnt really pertain to me, sorry. I'm a writer, not a gamer :P
7) Once the RP move ingame how often do you want/expect to play the game and for how long each session? I play the game like once a week, if that, so count me out of that
0) Are we definitely planning to set this at the Academy, then? One of the previous posts seemed to imply that that wasn't set in stone.
I'm in favour of that. It seems to leave more scope; people can be more fun and flaky (in any century, students will be students!) and also have more of a "real life" outside being in Starfleet. (Not that being in the military isn't as much a life as any other, but it's one I have no direct knowledge of so I struggle to think of any ideas about what would happen in it.)
5) I really don't know how often I expect to make posts. As I've mentioned I've got health problems, so, depending on my mood that day, some days I won't be feeling like posting and others I'll be dropping in several times a day and firing off a bit more. So try to arrange things so that I can always be readily "ghosted" if necessary (i.e. just carry on with the story taking my character as read).
Might it be helpful to have a rule that if someone's not been seen for, say, 24 hours, or 48 hours, the others don't wait for them any longer and are allowed to say what their character does if that's essential to moving on?
That makes some sense about the Borg and so on. The Tholians, Klingons, Romulans and Orions are the only TOS-era enemies that I can think of in-game. Mind you, wasn't the idea that if we were setting it in the TOS era these new in-game characters would be Agents of Yesterday ones, therefore playing in a TOS-era world themselves, until they time travel to the future (at which point our RP time travels too)?
Another question: If it's going to be Academy-based, then my one concern is, I do want this to be a story involving science-fictiony stuff, rather than it being mainly all about the personal lives and emotional conflicts of people who just happen to be in the Star Trek universe. I understand that some people enjoy that, but I don't. I'm fine with having some of that too, so long as I'm not expected to do much about it myselfand we can have some more practical stuff too. I don't mean the Academy has to be invaded by aliens or anything (though you can if you like :-) ) Just the problems of everyday life on 23rd-century Earth ought to include plenty of weird science. I mean, weird science is part of plenty of people's everyday problems *now* - think of IVF, or anonymous cyber-bullying, or performance-enhancing drugs in athletics.
How did the usual Ten Forward RP threads get started, does anyone know? Did they start with a couple of people and then more people joined in once they saw it going on? I suppose we could do it on that basis - with the Academy setting there's no problem explaining how any new characters come to be there, not like trying to get a new character into an RP while it's on an uninhabited planet.