What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Long term players

2»

Comments

• tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    atomictiki wrote: »
    Long term players have no part in PWE's business plan for the game beyond being background noise for their real target audience: "the new player who comes into the game, buys everything they want and then stops playing in 4 months."

Honestly, you are not on their radar.

This really, long term players of any kind don't really feel their contribution is ever really appreciated, at least that's the case for the ones I talk to and myself.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    That's funny what about players like me who have been playing the game only two years (come this February) but have spent...well I don't even want to say, let's just say I refuse to look at my Zen history anymore haha and according to some YouTube videos I'd be considered a "whale".

While I like to think that gamers like me keep the game running I know I'm not "entitled" to anything more than what I pay for...lifetime rewards are nice. Now I just hope they don't timegate the R&D so much and hope they don't do the same with upgrading rarity type on items.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As a Very Long Term Player...

No, I don't expect anything more than what we already have.

That way I'm never disappointed.
    *best russian voice* In Soviet Union you get One ship..a miranda...you will fly it and like it or it's off to the gulag with you!
    gorrbagg wrote: »
    in communist STO everything will be free to all, it will all be exactly the same and unmodable, low quality, and you will have to stand in line for days to get it but hey it is FREE!

In Mother Russia..., STO plays you.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited September 2014
    gorrbagg wrote: »
    in communist STO everything will be free to all, it will all be exactly the same and unmodable, low quality, and you will have to stand in line for days to get it but hey it is FREE!

Please don't bring politics into this discussion. It has nothing to do with the topic and you sound as ignorant as those people who call Obama a communist and fascist at the same time. Those are opposing philosophies if you couldn't bother to spend 5 minutes to Google the details.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited September 2014
    atomictiki wrote: »
    Long term players have no part in PWE's business plan for the game beyond being background noise for their real target audience: "the new player who comes into the game, buys everything they want and then stops playing in 4 months."

Honestly, you are not on their radar.

This here exactly. I would add that there are the whales(big spenders) who are obsessed with this game. But yes, the average player wanting to spend $15-20 / month in return for a ST canon experience and regular feed of content is SOL!
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • pantaro23pantaro23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Just thank your lucky stars that none of the content is put behind some kind of 'pay wall' like most MMO's

As someone new to STO this is one of the main reasons i play! as a free player I never feel like I'm getting half of the game,make me want to throw money at them more than usual as a thank you.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    We get nothing and we are going to like it... And if we don't like it, we keep getting nothing until such time that we learn to like it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    I know that cryptic needs the money and they can't just give away stuff, but those of us devoted to Star Trek Online who were there from day 1 and still playing the game devoted to our chars our ships etc etc...

Are we getting anything extra from PWE or Cryptic a little token of appreciation that we are still here after 4 years, not only the LTS players but also the free players or those putting in the monthly stipment.
    They can easily check out who is there from day one who is still playing or at least log in from time to time.
    So not only a little thank you but something we can use ingame would be nice I know there not many of us left and I know Cryptic is devoted to get new Players and thanks to some off us inviting people over in trying STO they get new players right, so little thanks in giving something ingame would be nice to those who are still playing the game.

Are you a long term player and you feel the same let it know down here.... and please NO ranting !!!

Greets

In all honesty even IF cryptic did do what you suggest it would be

"Thank you for your long term game play heres your tribble that poops marks"
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    Please don't bring politics into this discussion. It has nothing to do with the topic and you sound as ignorant as those people who call Obama a communist and fascist at the same time. Those are opposing philosophies if you couldn't bother to spend 5 minutes to Google the details.
    Whoa, the only one bringing politics in is you, chill and grow a sense of humor. See the joke for what it was meant to be, just a joke.:rolleyes:
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've been playing for free for years.

I have a prototype Odyssey, Yellowstone runabouts, some Nebula refits, access to the Rhode Island refit, a few T5 Ambassador refits, an assortment of Klingon ships, and at least one To'duj (sp?) fighter - and that's not including the ones from annual or ongoing events that can still be earned. And I think I might have forgotten about some stuff.

I have things I've been given for being a long-time player, thanks. :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well said, johnsills.

To the OP: if you've been here for a while, you really should know better than to ask that question.
  • carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    We always get something free for the game anniversary each year. A Febuary if I recall correctly. That is more than enough for any player. Cryptic aren't a bloody charity.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    carlosbfly wrote: »
    We always get something free for the game anniversary each year. A Febuary if I recall correctly.

And at the start of each summer, and at the end of each summer, and each winter. And for some season updates there are other promotional items (like the Obelisk carrier). And during the FE replays you can usually score enough lobi to get yourself something nice for gratis (minus grinding as with all of these). And lets not forget that EVERY SEASON AND EXPANSION IS FREE.

However because we're dealing with an entitlement complex mere reason isn't going to sway anyone's mind. The whiner can just choose to ignore any of the above as "not interesting" and retain their point of view however much reality might try to impinge on it because to them that point of view is satisfaction in itself.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Because you wouldn't get those reward points if you hadn't...

Subscribed to be one of the store's "gold" member's or whatever they choose to call it. and spent real money on products the store sells.

Just like how people who spend money to be an STO "Gold" member and get 500 reward points each month as well as other perks like vet rewards.

And to reiterate the people that don't subscribe to your supermarkets "gold" member club don't get any reward points or discounts no matter how much they spend, just like how our silver players don't get any monthly reward points nor earn any vet rewards.

I know how reward points work, I was replying more to the compromised privacy, there is no such thing as real privacy anymore anyway so I might as well benefit from my compromised privacy.
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I wish that cryptic would file these entitlement threads in the Frequently Created Threads (F.C.T) folder.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As a Lifetimer that has played this game for more than 4 years, I have to say that I think I've been rewarded enough for my money.

All the veteran rewards, the Zen Stipends, the new content being constantly added that has dramatically increased in quality. All the bank, inventory slots, skill respecs, free costume changes, free foundry slots, etc...

That's well and enough. Sure I'd like more, who wouldn't but we are certainly not entitled to more.