test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cant read dev blogs on my iphone

johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
I have several browers on my iphone none showed the new blog about the int boffs correctly. No matter what i do the right half of the page just vanishes on the right edge of the screen i cant scroll there or anything.

Pls fix this thx.

I'm probably not the only one and there is probably a better subforum for this but i didnt find any so here it is.
Post edited by johnsteward on

Comments

• chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    That almost sounds like an iOS issue. I've had that problem with android software and certain sites in the past myself.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have several browers on my iphone none showed the new blog about the int boffs correctly. No matter what i do the right half of the page just vanishes on the right edge of the screen i cant scroll there or anything.

Pls fix this thx.

I'm probably not the only one and there is probably a better subforum for this but i didnt find any so here it is.

You bought an iPhone!? Sucker!

Seems to work on my droid lol
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's not working on my android cell phone, but it works on my android tablet. Odd.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Speaking from experience of running forums myself that the HOST would need to support mobile devices like your cell phone or tablet. Doesn't matter if it's on a different OS. Like my forums support mobile devices there was a time they didn't. I have never check on my tablets (Android or Windows) how this site would appear on them nor my Windows 8.1 phone. I use to only have Android phones but hey Window phone is cool also! ;)

Which browser are you using on the iPhone? Safari? Check with itune store for apple there is a Chrome browser you can use. It should work without issues unless you want to use mobile view. There are some 3rd-party software apps but then again this forum would need to support it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This happens on Windows Phones IE11 as well. Clearly some dodgy CSS.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hmmm ,seems to work fine on the stock browser of my Android as well as chrome on it..... Firefox duplicates issue cx is describing.
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's definitely related to how cryptic posted this blog because it does the same thing on Arc on a desktop... If I don't make it full screen then it truncates the right side of text rather than wrap text to fit in the window, which is what it does on mobile devices.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • george021898george021898 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Pls fix this thx.

Try downloading the firefox browser. In it, under the menu there is a checkbox to request the desktop site. That should fix the cut off problem, but you may not see much on that microscopic iPhone screen. :D
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Try downloading the firefox browser. In it, under the menu there is a checkbox to request the desktop site. That should fix the cut off problem, but you may not see much on that microscopic iPhone screen. :D

Don't know about iPhone, but on my Android firefox was doing exacvtly what the op was talking about..... even with "requesting desktop site"..... the stock browser and chrome, though display the site fine on my Android.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    coolheadal wrote: »
    Speaking from experience of running forums myself that the HOST would need to support mobile devices like your cell phone or tablet. Doesn't matter if it's on a different OS. Like my forums support mobile devices there was a time they didn't. I have never check on my tablets (Android or Windows) how this site would appear on them nor my Windows 8.1 phone. I use to only have Android phones but hey Window phone is cool also! ;)

Which browser are you using on the iPhone? Safari? Check with itune store for apple there is a Chrome browser you can use. It should work without issues unless you want to use mobile view. There are some 3rd-party software apps but then again this forum would need to support it.

This isn't entirely true.

While YES, the host can to a high degree accommodate most devices and browsers, the host isn't able to accommodate all users.

You can take a stock phone, install stock browser and "better" browsers on them, but that dosen't take into account the thousand or so plugins people love to use for their devices... And the host should not do that either.

Over the past 4 years, I've made several responsive as well as mobile pages, and I keep running into people who, dispite my best effords, always claim that there is something wrong with my webpage when displaying on their tablet/phone, and in 90'ish % of the cases, it turns out to be some app or plugin to blame, rather than my actual code... Something that offsets a field... Heck, in some cases people allow for skype to identify phone numbers and then gives it, the bloddy little thingie that just pushes everything around...

Should a host take that into account? N-E-V-E-R.

Thats the users problem...

After 18 years of web and front-end development, I can promise you 100%: There is NO WAY you can, or should, EVER take all the variables into account... it's just not possible, and even if it were, it would make proper web-development too expensive.

That said: In this case, it sounds like a margin or a div may be offset. Certain Devices, such as the later iPhone models have too high a resolution to actually display the responsive CSS this page uses, so it has to emulate a lower res, when these devices are used and that makes browsers confused (probably the case here). That in turn would call up faulty CSS... Basically it works like intended, it just hasn't taken the high-resolution into account, and is usually an easy fix.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No you cant BUT this is not such a case i'm sure. I tried several browsers, i mostly use safari and atomic web browser which works fine. Also ppl posted before they had this problem even on a desktop so its most like cryptics/pwes fault in this case.

Funny thing is i only saw it after hearing in the Priority one podcast that they made changes to it so it better displays on mobile phones.
    edited September 2014
    No you cant BUT this is not such a case i'm sure. I tried several browsers, i mostly use safari and atomic web browser which works fine. Also ppl posted before they had this problem even on a desktop so its most like cryptics/pwes fault in this case.

Funny thing is i only saw it after hearing in the Priority one podcast that they made changes to it so it better displays on mobile phones.

Reading the last paragraphs, you would have noted that I did indeed blame it on the webpage CSS/setup...

I just don't respond well, when people claim that the host is always to blame, cause it's just not true.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As a web developer for the last 19 years, I concur with the other poster who points out that 100% compatibility these days is an ideal, not a practical outcome. I have clients who still insist that their web apps work with IE6, and after I show them the percentage of IE6 still in the marketplace and quote the price for IE6 compatibility, they change their minds. It's the same with any older browser, especially when it might have only had incomplete or incorrect CSS2 support.

Did you rotate your phone to get a landscape rendering? (I know iPhone users always seem to do things vertically--like videos, for example--but landscape mode might give you a better render.)

Nevertheless--and I know it's a crazy idea--you don't play the game on your iPhone, right? That means you have a computer. Use your computer to read the dev blogs.
    boldly-watched.png
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    yeah i tried landscape ofc

i dont mind reading it on my desktop and i dont cry about it not working on the iphone.

I just wanted to tell them that its not working (for me at least) after hearing about it in the PO podcast that it should be much better for phones. Thats all. If it keeps not workling i want loose any sleep over it.

Its just a "you said it would work, i'm here to tell you it doesnt"..
    edited September 2014
    I don't think PWE ever said that the Arc pages would work on mobile devices... Just that they intended them to...

Trolling-by-PWE much? I think so :)