test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mirror Universe Borg?

cabezadetortugacabezadetortuga Member Posts: 251 Arc User
Hey, is there any possibility that we might one day encounter Mirror Universe Borg in STO?
Post edited by cabezadetortuga on

Comments

• Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hey, is there any possibility that we might one day encounter Mirror Universe Borg in STO?

As the Borg were created by a freak accident caused by early Starfleet, I doubt it
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As the Borg were created by a freak accident caused by early Starfleet, I doubt it

Explain. There's nothing to support that claim in neither Enterprise, TNG, DS9, Voyager nor in any of the movies.

As for the Borg from the Mirror universe, what is the point of divergence for the creation of the mirror universe and did that event reach as far as the delta quadrant?

One other thing to consider: if you change the Borg, are they still the Borg?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2014

What he said?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

• Options
    cabezadetortugacabezadetortuga Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Is that really what happened, though?

There has been no definitive answer about the origin of the Borg in STO. We can point to the similarities between V'Ger and the Borg Unimatrix vessels as evidence that the events of Star Trek I resulted in the creation of the Borg collective, but that is not the only explanation.

Perhaps such similarities between V'Ger and the Borg Unimatrix vessels are due to the Borg assimilating the machine planet that refurbished the Voyager probe into V'Ger. That is a possible explanation that does not require Starfleet to be the cause of the Borg collective.

Another possible explanation is that such similarities are mere coincidences.

Also, I seem to remember an episode of Voyager in which it was explained that the Borg had been around for many centuries or even thousands of years. That would be evidence that V'Ger and Decker are NOT the origin of the Borg Collective, since the Borg Collective would have already been established by the point that V'Ger returned to Earth (that would also mean that the Borg Collective existed since before the Voyager was even originally launched from Earth in the 20th century).

EDIT: I must also note that the Vaadwaur who had been kept in stasis for hundreds of years already were aware of the Borg because they had encountered them when they ruled a vast empire LONG before the events of Star Trek I.
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If the borg have existed for centuries, how was Starfleet that caused their creation?

If you pop up the time-travel card, I'm out because that allows anything for anyone.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    If the borg have existed for centuries, how was Starfleet that caused their creation?

If you pop up the time-travel card, I'm out because that allows anything for anyone.

but... but... :(
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    As for the Borg history i go by memory Alpha Borg history and not some conjecture from the novels.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The problem is that when you start going with time travel, all you manage to get is a big mess.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The problem is that when you start going with time travel, all you manage to get is a big mess.

Janeways prefers to avoid it
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Janeways prefers to avoid it

Don't get me wrong. It's an interesting subject and allows for great stories. But...
    Especially if you refer to an advanced race like the borg it's bound to get complicated.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Don't get me wrong. It's an interesting subject and allows for great stories. But...
    Especially if you refer to an advanced race like the borg it's bound to get complicated.

there are several problems with the Borg.

Guinan say thousands of centuries, but 7 said about 900-1100 years.

So... they need to establish it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Sure, but now add time travel to it ;)
    Considering that they share all gained knowledge, that they don't have other species limitations, etc...
    Even the story in First Contact is dangerous.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    STO explicitly excludes and deliberately contradicts novels written from Destiny forward and has light acknowledgement of a few more popular novels, primarily from the early 90s.

But I would maintain that the Borg would be the same, assuming they weren't a product of some human time travel paradox.

The Mirror Universe is not the opposite universe, generally speaking.

The best conjecture would seem to be that it's a world where Caesar wasn't assassinated or where Rome never fell. The TRIBBLE-like hand salutes and much of the design cues are Roman so it would seem to be a Roman inspired culture.

Vulcans, Klingons, etc. were seemingly identical until the Vulcans landed and Zefram Cochrane enslaved them and followed them back to Vulcan. Borg should be identical... and the Collective may even be the same Collective, linked across all possible universes. (That's what the Queen's line about "four dimensional thinking" implies, that she either moves around time or survives by copying over to her alternate timeline counterparts.)

The next best guess I'd have for how the Mirror Universe formed would be that it had Romulan intervention of some kind. I figure at some point, some writer somewhere is bound to establish a link between the Romulans and ancient Romans. In the 60s, a classical allusion was enough to justify space Romans but I think we're at a point as a culture where audiences will probably eventually demand a logical reason why Romulans and Romans are so similar.

And there, my guess is either that the early Vulcan separatists' first stop was earth. They would have arrived sometime in the 4th century A.D. based on existing canon timeframes so that likely means the Romulans would have adopted their culture FROM Romans rather than vice versa. Because Rome was in full force before the Romulans splintered off.

From there, maybe we can guess that in the Prime Universe, the Romulans left earth taking Roman culture with them. And in the Mirror Universe, they stayed or backed the Terrans as pawns. Which might explain how and why a seemingly primitive human population that barely had warp capability on its own could enslave Vulcan.

I think there's a circumstantial case for Romulans backing the Terrans as the one canon reference to Mirror Romulans indicates that they are politically neutral but may covertly arm Terrans upon request. Granted, it's regular Sisko who says it but nobody corrects him.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Here's a shocking theory for you... the Borg assimilated V'Ger.

Complicated matter over.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Wasn't the Borg once human, then they involved as the species they are come to known as BORG! Having one mine, in a huge collective. The BORG QUEEN did explain this once in Voyager Series. Even Q on Next Generation Explains who and what they're are and why they do what they do. Almost like Doctor Who DALEKS where once human beings then they two involved into half human/robot. BORG is also half one or many different species it attacks like a VIRUS that spreads turning everyone into drone (robot). So think of them as like us once but, something happen to make them into what you see today. They also could be called CYBORG so BORG from CY-BORG. Half machine and half human (or other species or races).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    coolheadal wrote: »
    Wasn't the Borg once human

Swedish to be exact.

Starfleet historians are still involved in a heated debate if they evolved from the well known meatball or not.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Also, the "thousands of centuries" probably works better for STO because it allows the Borg to be tied in with the Iconians and the various machine life forms that seem leftover from that era.

The Iconians' main weapon in canon was a computer virus so I think it COULD work that the Borg were one of the main enemies of the Iconians... and it may have even been intended at the time the Iconians were introduced because the TNG writers were deliberately seeding hints of the Borg at that time.

Hard to say since Roddenberry is no longer with us and Steve Gerber, who created the Iconians (and Howard the Duck!), has also passed on. But the Borg were first hinted at in season 1 of TNG and the Iconian computer virus was introduced 11 episodes after the first Borg hint.

I'd argue that if the Borg were successfully defeated or pushed back to a handful of systems in the Delta Quadrant by the Iconians then the Borg's quest for "perfection" might be them trying to overcome the design flaw that the Iconians had utilized against them.

I think the mission was edited but we did get an indication in STO that the Iconians didn't care for the Borg and I seem to recall an Iconian ship showing up to help us fight off the Borg at one point.

Kinda suggests that however much the Iconians don't like us, they like the Borg less. And that sure seems to imply a history between them. Because that was the one example in the entirety of STO where Iconians help us.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    that would explain both of them... nearly wiped out by the Iconians, reduced to nanites that eventually infected a few archeologists.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The easiest contradiction to humans made borg is that humans have quite a long identification code, instead plain species 1 or 0.

Though I am still a believer of the "a military alien program gone horribly wrong"-theory.

Thats aside, the STO Borg are like the mirror borg. There the borg simply invade and assimilate, regardless of who the victim is. Even kazon would be assimilated.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Mirror Universe Borg; where the Borg kindly asks you to be assimilated or not.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    woodwhity wrote: »
    The easiest contradiction to humans made borg is that humans have quite a long identification code, instead plain species 1 or 0.

Though I am still a believer of the "a military alien program gone horribly wrong"-theory.

Thats aside, the STO Borg are like the mirror borg. There the borg simply invade and assimilate, regardless of who the victim is. Even kazon would be assimilated.

CYBROG no matter what happen, just idea to give it a name called BORG in any case. You would need to contact the first writers on this subject to get a clear understanding on their concept idea that has gone full circle today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    draigondraigon Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't believe the borg were created by Starfleet, but the threat of them was indeed created by a freak accident in Starfleet. In TNG, Q whipped the Enterprise deep into unexplored space where they encounter the borg for the first time.

As they are hive minded, the encounter became known to collectives that were closer to the Alpha Quadrent and their transwarp technology allowed them to move in and establish outposts and so the invasion began.

Since this incident didn't occur in the Mirror timeline, the borg are likely unaware of the Alpha quadrent species yet. Though it is probably only a matter of time before their probes find them.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    draigon wrote: »
    I don't believe the borg were created by Starfleet, but the threat of them was indeed created by a freak accident in Starfleet. In TNG, Q whipped the Enterprise deep into unexplored space where they encounter the borg for the first time.

As they are hive minded, the encounter became known to collectives that were closer to the Alpha Quadrent and their transwarp technology allowed them to move in and establish outposts and so the invasion began.

Since this incident didn't occur in the Mirror timeline, the borg are likely unaware of the Alpha quadrent species yet. Though it is probably only a matter of time before their probes find them.

actually they were aware of Earth in the 22nd Century
  • Options
    antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    That would open the door for a more powerful borg that, unhindered by the federation, would have assimilated much more of the delta quadrant by the time the Terrans come into contact with them. Maybe even would have perfected the Undine Assimilation we prevented them from achieving. A scary prospect.

Would also explain Q's motivation in introducing us to them earlier than we would have met them naturally.

I find it highly unlikely the Borg would have been around when the Iconians were. They certainly woulldn't have had any contact with them because the Borg definitely would have tried to assimilate them around the time they were defeated. And we know the Iconians have powers far beyond that of the Borg.
  • Options
    apsciliaraapsciliara Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    Mirror Universe Borg; where the Borg kindly asks you to be assimilated or not.

You mean like the Canadian Borg? :P
  • Options
    woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Just to chime in; in TrekLit there is a Borg Collective in the mirror universe. The monarch can switch sexes between iteration, i.e. there can be a Borg Queen or a Borg King.

The one cube we've seen was, uh, a cube but 'stood' on one of its corners instead of 'sitting' on a square.

There's no reason to assume the Borg don't exist in other universes, even if they were caused by a freak accident in one (ST: Destiny).
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    In the MU the Borg are the Binars. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    What would they do? Bake us cookies?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    antzudan wrote: »
    That would open the door for a more powerful borg that, unhindered by the federation, would have assimilated much more of the delta quadrant by the time the Terrans come into contact with them. Maybe even would have perfected the Undine Assimilation we prevented them from achieving. A scary prospect.

Would also explain Q's motivation in introducing us to them earlier than we would have met them naturally.

I find it highly unlikely the Borg would have been around when the Iconians were. They certainly woulldn't have had any contact with them because the Borg definitely would have tried to assimilate them around the time they were defeated. And we know the Iconians have powers far beyond that of the Borg.
    Actually, if you play the RR storyline, there's a scene that implies the Iconians were LONG ago given a Species ID number by the Borg, and that the Borg are VERY interested in learning more about Iconian tech. Which does possibly have a connection with the Borg's Omega directive....

EDIT: I looked it up Species 47.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    As for the Borg history i go by memory Alpha Borg history and not some conjecture from the novels.
    Conjecture only pertains to guesses about real things. Fictional stories are fictional stories, none of it is conjecture.