test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playing in Asia (China)

asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
Hello

I just moved to China. It is possible to play this game in China. You have to get a VPN (i subscribed with ExpressVPN) and it works. Sometimes it depends on the net quality of the city or country you're in, but you can reach the STO servers from China, you can update and play the game but keep in mind: only through VPN!

Just thought i share the Info!

Greets
Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
Post edited by asches1 on

Comments

• fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    You'll have to start a new character. Name him Nixon! :D
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    While I don't see myslef going to or living in China in the forseable future, I'm sure that many people that play STO whose path takes them there apreciate this info, so thanks for sharing this. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • neuro1gneuro1g Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    asches1 wrote: »
    Hello

I just moved to China. It is possible to play this game in China. You have to get a VPN (i subscribed with ExpressVPN) and it works. Sometimes it depends on the net quality of the city or country you're in, but you can reach the STO servers from China, you can update and play the game but keep in mind: only through VPN!

Greets

I too am in China and use ExpressVPN. Curious to know which server you connect to that works best for you.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Greets

That's... nice to know... I guess... Thank you. If I ever move to China I will mention you in my credentials. ;)
  • asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    szim wrote: »
    That's... nice to know... I guess... Thank you. If I ever move to China I will mention you in my credentials. ;)

Hi. I don't really know. I know that if you pick the Hong Kong server, the data flow from China to Hong Kong is in fact fast (but i got a very high ping to Hong Kong… don't really know why… thats not good for a game). So i tried germany and switzerland. But if you find some better ones, tell me about them :) It's really not easy to find a non-stop stable connection with low ping. But i have a feeling the internet in China itself isn't that stable… i get always interrupts…
    edited September 2014
    maybe we should try an alternate server that isn't overcrowded (like hong kong one) and is not too far away. new zealnd or smth like that :)
  • aikuchiiaikuchii Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Perfect World is a Chinese company. I would think you could play normally with out needing a VPN, unless the Great Firewall affects something.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    aikuchii wrote: »
    Perfect World is a Chinese company. I would think you could play normally with out needing a VPN, unless the Great Firewall affects something.
    perfect world may be a chinese company, but perfect world entertainment is a subsidary based in north america along with cryptic

and the only two servers for STO that i am aware of are the one in boston and the one somewhere in europe that they opened about two years ago and made a big deal out of

don't know where exactly in europe, but i don't think it's anywhere near china
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • neuro1gneuro1g Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hi. I don't really know. I know that if you pick the Hong Kong server, the data flow from China to Hong Kong is in fact fast (but i got a very high ping to Hong Kong… don't really know why… thats not good for a game). So i tried germany and switzerland. But if you find some better ones, tell me about them :) It's really not easy to find a non-stop stable connection with low ping. But i have a feeling the internet in China itself isn't that stable… i get always interrupts…

Oh wow... Germany and Switzerland barely work for me. Were you able to log on using the Hong Kong server? I thought STO was blocked there too.

I have the most luck with the San Jose server currently. I've also been using the Japan and Singapore servers though sometimes there's a log on error. The program always recommends the LA servers for me but when I do a speed test their download rates are terrible and if I actually try to play the game the lag is ridiculous.
  • tostrek2012tostrek2012 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They don't have a China server? Okay, I may have to get the ExpressVPN too when I visit China next year.
  • unionthalisunionthalis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Funny,

I tried using VPN but the computer can't even load the launchers. Without VPN it launches, and until recently worked ok.

I don't know what happened but after the new Delta Expedition, everything went haywire, and I can barely connect to STO at all.

Any thoughts?
    Hong Kong server on ExpressVPN work for STO. I'm sure of that.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    EVIL NECRO BEAST! KILL IT WITH FIRE!​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    EVIL NECRO BEAST! KILL IT WITH FIRE!​​

No, no, this is still relevant information. I don't think there's anything wrong with reviving it.

For the record, I can play from Argentina with no real problems, just ugly latency, as in 300ms+
This discussion has been closed.