test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Story Request

kaiserwillykaiserwilly Member Posts: 61 Arc User
The one thing I that every good sci-fi show with time-travelling in it has, is sadly missing from this game. I can't quite be certain, but I think I am right in saying all the manifestations of Star Trek they have all done this.

I wanna go back in time and shoot TRIBBLE...

C'mon. If you could travel in time that would have to be at the top of your to-do list.

All time-travelling villains head back there to find like-minded evil masterminds who plan to change the future. All right thinking good guys know that is the problem area and we just have to go and fix it.
Post edited by kaiserwilly on

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I got a better idea. How about we focus on the many problems we have in the present and leave the past and future where they are?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    I got a better idea. How about we focus on the many problems we have in the present and leave the past and future where they are?

Never let pragmatics get in the way of a good story.
  • Options
    quaestusquaestus Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Zombie TRIBBLE's... On the moon...
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The trouble with time-traveling to fight TRIBBLE, or to any contemporary time period, is that Cryptic would have to create all the art assets from scratch, without reusing many (if any) of their pre-existing work.

And then they would almost never get to use those assets again, because they're so anachronistic to the main story and timeline.

Unfortunately, it's not the same as calling a Hollywood prop house and hitting the backlot for a week.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What threat do TRIBBLE pose against a society that uses spaceships the size of freaking CANADA as a tourist vessel?

TRIBBLE are overused, cliche to a T and are as threatening to Starfleet as a dandelion.

I'd rather focus on real threats to the universe. Like 0 or the Iconians or the Borg or even that God entity in the center of the universe. Hell, I'll take V'Ger II over that pansy, Hitler.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    The trouble with time-traveling to fight TRIBBLE, or to any contemporary time period, is that Cryptic would have to create all the art assets from scratch, without reusing many (if any) of their pre-existing work.

And then they would almost never get to use those assets again, because they're so anachronistic to the main story and timeline.

Unfortunately, it's not the same as calling a Hollywood prop house and hitting the backlot for a week.

Of course, you are right about the assets. But as a one-off story, it would be a nice touch. Could be readily slotted into any story arc with a new or old enemy.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,764 Arc User
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I dont know about anybody else but i enjoy Keepers of Time type content. The Drozana/ToS missions we have in game kinda fall into that category but they didnt do a very good job. For me, i not only want to go back in time but i also want to relive an even in history as it was seen in the tv shows. I think there was a mission with the old Borg episodes where Q took you back to the Saratoga during the battle of Sector 001 which was in First Contact. But even that wasnt good enough for me. A perfect example would be the Deep Space 9 episode that took place in the ToS episode Trouble with Tribbles. Kirk is talking to the wall comm system and there's Sisko in the background looking around. The bar fight with Worf, Odo, O'Brian and Bashir. Kirk opening the storage compartments and having tribbles fall down on him and right up in the compartment is Dax and Sisko trying to find the bomb and throwing tribbles down the chute which bonk Kirk on the head. I like it because i have those moments where i go 'ohh this is the part where so and so does this and look at me doing my own thing lawl.

That's the kind of stuff that i want to see, but i'm guessing that there are useage issues with using 100% recreations of any of the settings from the TV shows or movies, even if from a slightly different perspective. But even if it were allowed by whoever I think that it ends up being a double edged sword for the devs though. Instead if making a map or dialogue however they want to, now it has to match up with what was in the show or movie they are trying to recreate. But on the other hand they dont have to worry about typing up their own dialogue cause they can just use the one from the shows/movies hehe.
  • Options
    quaestusquaestus Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    We've got way better go-to source material than TRIBBLE's with already existing art assets though, the Borg are our TRIBBLE... plus we've got Iconians, Devidians, Pakleds... There's no shortage of evil to go around.

More time travel missions with Scotty and the TOS crew though... yes pls... I still want a Night of the Comet type mission where you have to fly back in time and beat a Borg tact cube with a Tier 2 Connie. :P
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Time Travel could be interesting, especially since we've done it in order to visit the TOS era already. I don't know about fighting TRIBBLE's though. If we're going to use Time Travel we should just use it like we did before. Maybe visit the Enterprise era or something? Or like Archer did on occasion, get pulled into the future to see a bad future we need to fix.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Pakled TRIBBLE, LOL
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am still waiting for my Holodeck to go nuts so I can fight Evil Ape Lincoln :cool:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    NO! MORE! TIME TRAVEL!

I don't like time travel stories. they ether turn out confusing or just the same as if no time travel was involved. we can easily have killed a space station full of ghosty aliens without the need for time travel.

I'm ok with evil Lincoln, ape or not. but we must get a beard and top hat as a mission reward.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    I dont know about anybody else but i enjoy Keepers of Time type content. The Drozana/ToS missions we have in game kinda fall into that category but they didnt do a very good job. For me, i not only want to go back in time but i also want to relive an even in history as it was seen in the tv shows. I think there was a mission with the old Borg episodes where Q took you back to the Saratoga during the battle of Sector 001 which was in First Contact. But even that wasnt good enough for me. A perfect example would be the Deep Space 9 episode that took place in the ToS episode Trouble with Tribbles. Kirk is talking to the wall comm system and there's Sisko in the background looking around. The bar fight with Worf, Odo, O'Brian and Bashir. Kirk opening the storage compartments and having tribbles fall down on him and right up in the compartment is Dax and Sisko trying to find the bomb and throwing tribbles down the chute which bonk Kirk on the head. I like it because i have those moments where i go 'ohh this is the part where so and so does this and look at me doing my own thing lawl.

That's the kind of stuff that i want to see, but i'm guessing that there are useage issues with using 100% recreations of any of the settings from the TV shows or movies, even if from a slightly different perspective. But even if it were allowed by whoever I think that it ends up being a double edged sword for the devs though. Instead if making a map or dialogue however they want to, now it has to match up with what was in the show or movie they are trying to recreate. But on the other hand they dont have to worry about typing up their own dialogue cause they can just use the one from the shows/movies hehe.

Whao, bro, you're mixing up battles. Saratoga was at wolf 359, not the battle of sector 001 that happened what 10 years later?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I am still waiting for my Holodeck to go nuts so I can fight Evil Ape Lincoln :cool:

WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT THE APE/MAN HYBRID SPECIES THAT STARFLEET CREATED IN THE 22ND CENTURY TO COMBAT THE ROMULANS?!

I mean.....LOOK! A DISTRACTION!

*runs while everyone looks away*
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I got an even better idea. How about we stop trying to derail threads and dismiss peoples requests because we're full of spite from spending too much time on these forums?

For the OP. Not sure when theyll get back around to anything like what youre requesting...They seem to be quite focused on the Delta Quadrant for the time being. And considering how slow they are to produce any story content. Theres no telling when we'll see anything besides Kes and Neelix inspired.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I got an even better idea. How about we stop trying to derail threads and dismiss peoples requests because we're full of spite from spending too much time on these forums?

No, I've got an idea that's way better. How about you stop putting words in other people's mouths.

We've got more than enough problems in STO's present day. No need to go looking for more in other time periods (hell, no need to go looking for more on the other side of the frakking galaxy either). The TRIBBLE are even more overused than the Borg, and time travel almost inevitably results in a completely nonsensical plot.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No, I've got an idea that's way better. How about you stop putting words in other people's mouths.

We've got more than enough problems in STO's present day. No need to go looking for more in other time periods (hell, no need to go looking for more on the other side of the frakking galaxy either). The TRIBBLE are even more overused than the Borg, and time travel almost inevitably results in a completely nonsensical plot.

Ill take this as 'starswordc cant handle their own medicine'.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    For the OP. Not sure when theyll get back around to anything like what youre requesting...They seem to be quite focused on the Delta Quadrant for the time being. And considering how slow they are to produce any story content. Theres no telling when we'll see anything besides Kes and Neelix inspired.

I am pretty certain you're right. That doesn't mean a boy can't place his wishes in the well.

The great thing about this sort of thing is it genuinely can be slotted into any new story arc.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Whao, bro, you're mixing up battles. Saratoga was at wolf 359, not the battle of sector 001 that happened what 10 years later?

Ohh right now i remember...i forgot which one was which. Wolf 359 was the one in TNG where Picard got captured and Siskos ship got blown up. And that was the reason Sisko was always so emo towards Picard cause he kinda held him responsible for the destruction of his ship and the death of his wife.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I think dude up there might be misunderstanding you. I think that he thinks that you think that real work issues should be fixed first like gameplay bugs or the T5U T6 upgrade stuff going on in the forums. I dont know about him but i interpreted what you said as taking care of stuff in game in our present time frame like the Voth, the Undine and Fed/KDF war instead of a new conflict that has some KoT faction.

EDIT: and he calls that derailing the thread, but i dont see how. You just want to maintain focus on the current storyline in the present timeframe.
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Is it possible Cryptic already has a story idea in mind which involves time travel? It's been a while since I've re-played this mission, (I may go do that now for the heck of it), but I was reading about the USS Kirk and it would appear there is a 30th century temporal agent hanging out aboard the ship.

The Na'kuhl were also mentioned in the game, but they have yet to appear and if they ever do they can involve some sort of time travel plot. The 29th century Federation is already monitoring this point in history, considering our interaction with the USS Pastak and their mentioning that our characters play an important role in this time. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think other parties are also monitoring this point in history.