Install Arc
Options

Unable to start game client

2»

Comments

• Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have encountered a similar issue, although not with STO.

I was investigating the ability of mac software emulation (this is legal!) to run Champions Online (since CO does not have a mac compatible client).
    It worked better then I thought it would, even if it still failed.

The error code it gave me was similar to this problem, it says something about DirectX incompatibility.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    phoenixfettphoenixfett Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Nope still no luck for me i did wat you sugested bout copying over the file and deleteing the on on tribble :( ok so..this is what ive done so far

Safemode
    foce verify
    used BOTH proxies
    Copying player profiles
    Complete reinstall
    ....Wait
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Ok so i have it sorta working, went into Properties of the launcher and set it compatability mode windows xp service pack 3 - but it was LAGGY as hell Then i tried using Compatability mode of Windows 7 but still getting the laggy ness, turned off compatability and it loaded but the modesl where really low quality and it was so laggy u just can't move :(
    Do not know what to do next

Im using windows 8 btw
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    WTF, ok tunred off ALL incompatability and run as admin, im now getting this

"unable to start game client: Windows error code 740 (While attempting to format,received error code 317) - WTF WTF WTF
  • Options
    maracroftmaracroft Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    IMHO We should not be the ones having to figure out why it doesn't run. There should be no difference in the way Holodeck runs and Tribble runs. The only thing is Tribble has the extra bits for the upcoming release. I had no issues until they decided to let only Gold members test (of which one i am.) This is something on Cryptics end and it's just not worth the hassle of me trying to reconfigure my computer to get it to run.
  • Options
    miamiviceroymiamiviceroy Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The way I see it, the more options we can test to get it running (and the more that fail, maybe...), the closer we can come to isolating what the problem is. The more we isolate what the problem is, the faster the dev team can get a fix up (and get back to giving us new content to test :P).
  • Options
    deonshackerdeonshacker Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    unable to start game client: file not found :(

MacBook Air
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Im getting this now

Unable to start game client: Windows error code 740 (While attempting to format, received error code 317.)
  • Options
    ussackermanussackerman Member Posts: 275 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    northstar121403northstar121403 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Getting the same error and I have been a LTS for 4 years now.
    Making Borg go *BOOM* since May 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Getting the same error and I have been a LTS for 4 years now.

Which error? "file not found" "740" or crash to desktop?
    Are you on a Mac or PC?
    What Windows or MacOS are you using?
  • Options
    northstar121403northstar121403 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Which error? "file not found" "740" or crash to desktop?
    Are you on a Mac or PC?
    What Windows or MacOS are you using?

Sorry was going off the original message in the thread. I'm on a Mac using latest OSX and getting the "file not found error". When I contacted tech support they advised me to reinstall the launcher and the patch up. I did so but with the same result, twice.
    Making Borg go *BOOM* since May 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Oh, I am so sick of hearing the "reinstall will fix any problem" solution.

For the record, it does not! :mad:

And all it achieves is to waste your bandwidth allowance downloading it again and again.

They should stop the tech support people making that suggestion.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Sorry was going off the original message in the thread. I'm on a Mac using latest OSX and getting the "file not found error". When I contacted tech support they advised me to reinstall the launcher and the patch up. I did so but with the same result, twice.

OK, I found what files are missing due to installing on a PC and comparing to the Mac wrapper.

The missing files are:

PhysX3CommonDEBUG_x86.dll
    PhysX3CookingDEBUG_x86.dll
    PhysX3DEBUG_x86.dll

If you put these in the Playtest folder, it will launch Tribble, but at reduced video quality.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I could not find these files inside the wrapper, either in the Live folder or the Playtest folder.

And it's still failing to start the game client. :mad:

• Options
    edited September 2014
    OK, for anyone getting the "File not found" error, PM me your email address and I'll email you the missing files in a ZIP archive.
  • Options
    miamiviceroymiamiviceroy Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Do note that in addition to the files our compatriot has so graciously shared, if you have previously run Tribble on the DX11 setting, you'll also need to force it to revert to DX9.
  • Options
    griffinbh11griffinbh11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I have had the same problems as those of you who are also using macs... additionally the person at tech "support" did not even know that tribble was active... there appears to be an update right now so lets hope that fixes it....

Edit: nope still broken...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    OK, so we're now up to patch "d.6" and I did a full delete/reinstall of the "Playtest" folder in the Mac client again.

Still get a "file not found" error unless I add the before stated Physx3 Debug files.

Still get bad graphics when I use the debug files.

I have written Support multiple times trying to get them my Error logs to assist and they won't acknowledge that they passed them to the Devs.

If anyone at Cryptic can hear me, "I am trying to HELP!"

I have noticed the same issues of Shader compilation errors coming from the Neverwinter forums and saw another "wrapper" program needed an upgrade this last week to get STO working for them.

And, since this is affecting my son's Windows OS as well, I can't completely blame the Cider wrapper.

So either we have a DirectX11 call issue or an issue in it translating within the wrapper.

It is also eerily reminiscent of the other Cider issue that required the wrapper upgrade in July/Early August.
  • Options
    cehuscehus Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm experiencing the same issues as of today's patch. Mac client, Holodeck works. Tribble does not due to file not found.
    Cehus.png
  • Options
    playstation37playstation37 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    cehus wrote: »
    I'm experiencing the same issues as of today's patch. Mac client, Holodeck works. Tribble does not due to file not found.
    i send some tickets to perfect world these last few days to no avail the tech support says the tribble server is down for maintenance to apply a new update don't know how long it will take and if it ever will be resolved i al gold member to maybe its time for paying customers to stop paying and canceling our subs
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Twittered LaughingTrendy and CrypticEQAH today about this.

The Emergency QA Hologram has admitted they are working on the Mac Client issues. So we now at least know they are aware of this and are working on it.

:cool::D
  • Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    but it's not JUST a mac client issue.... I'm using Windows and returning the same fatal error apparently....

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Steam client version of the launcher?
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    30MB launcher update and "d.9" patch done...no change.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    updated to "d.12" and unchecked On-Demand Patching while running Force Verify.
    System did a 1GB+ modification to 4GB of Tribble.

No change in behavior.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    OK, so I have not received any PM's in the forums for the files needed to fix the "Fie not found" issue.

Just in case, I am posting a Dropbox link for the file for those who want them still.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdc0xhd6usjimli/Physx3.zip?dl=0

To use them, just place the 3 files into the Playtest directory and relaunch STO.