test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An Open Letter to Admiral Quinn

voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Ten Forward
[Begin transmission]

Hi there, it's Admiral Voporak. You know, the one whose secrecy you protected and who you didn't court martial in the name of keeping peace? I would like to file a complaint.

I just got the news that every lousy excuse for an officer is getting a promotion to Fleet Admiral. Well, all except for one. I mean, I know I've disobeyed direct orders, stolen several starships, nearly started a second Dominion War, created multiple alternate realities with their own sociopathic tyrants, indirectly murdered countless billions, and violated the Temporal Prime Directive on 141 occasions, but is it really too much to ask for the promotion too?

Oh, and who was the idiot that thought up the idea of slapping everyone with the rank anyway? It's bad enough we had thousands of Vice Admirals running around, but at least then I was above them. If everyone is a Fleet Admiral, who's in charge? I'm not aware of any rank above that, except perhaps the Federation Council and President himself.

So I find it a bit insulting that I'm left hanging here at plain old Admiral. Can I at least get like a free pen or something acknowledging that I exist in the now almost nonexistent chain of command?

Admiral Voporak
Commanding Officer U.S.S. Black Phantom, NX-92976-A

[End transmission]
I ask nothing but that you remember me.
Post edited by voporak on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Transmission from USS Lexington

I think there was a mixup in a supply request or something, because we got some stuff I didn't request on our last supply stop at K-7. I double checked with Commander Wildman, and it turns out these things were meant for the Black Phantom, but some idiot in Cargo on K-7 loaded the crates abord the Lexington instead. One of the items in question is apparently a pen. The rest is at least two crates of Romulan Ale, with a note saying its for Diplomatic Purposes.

Anyways... I'll see about making sure this stuff gets to you.

Krystal Jade
    Commanding Officer, USS Lexington NCC-91709-A
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Transmission from Earth Spacedock

I'm sorry to inform you that Admiral Quinn is currently unavailable to respond as he is far too busy promoting every cadet that wanders into his Office to the rank of Lieutenant and assigning them new Starships.

When he's quite finished Commissioning half the serving crewman, I shall pass along your message.

Lieutenant Linnea
    Assistant to Admiral Quinn, Earth Spacedock
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You (@OP) have my appreciation.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    [Sent Transmission]
    To: Fleet Admiral Quinn, Head of Starfleet Operations.
    From: Vice Admiral K'Mec, Daughter of Kotos, USS Fearless. House Kotos, Qo'Nos.

Admiral Quinn, i got word through my First Officer, Nirnas, about the High Council offering their Generals a position as Dahar master. Nirnas being a former KDF Officer and a Nausicaan has still got contacts on his homeworld and Qo'Nos and i am trying to get into contact with Kotos, My father about it as well.

If this is true the empire is promoting it's officers like this then we must respond to that challenge! However i feel the rank of Fleet Admiral is a hollow gesture with thousands of other officers also getting that same honor. i can't say im happy to see such a prestigious position turn into something as worthless as Ensign. I hope that by the time you get this message you can confirm through Starfleet Intelligence about the empire and yourself on our position.

I would also like to ask, sir; What is going on about commanding a fleet? a "Fleet" Admiral is dead give-away to the title of the rank.
    If there are positions open where i can promote my own officers to their own command positions, give them a ship each and their own crew, i would recommend;
    Commander Nirnas, he is an outstanding officer and being someone who knows the Empire, hes very loyal to Starfleet and his tactical and security skill is substantial, recommend a tactical ship, i already have a Defiant in the docking bay waiting for him, if you agree.
    Commander "Madlocker", Craig Madlock has shown some really outstanding engineering expertise, if given the chance i could train the Commander in starship command and give him the position on a ship primarily based around engineering, Sir, please do not offer the Galaxy class as i am convinced is not worth the effort.

Thank you for your time and in Reading this.

K'Mec, Commanding Officer, USS Fearless.
    [End]

[Incoming transmission]
    From Fleet Admiral Quinn, Head of Starfleet Operations.
    To: Vice Admiral K'Mec, Daughter of Kotos, USS Fearless. House Kotos, Qo'Nos.

Admiral K'Mec, i have received your message about the promotion, i agree, it is very strange how the federation council has allowed everyone to become Fleet Admirals, and it is crazy honestly!

I can confirm to you that Commander Nirnas' information is correct, the empire is indeed promoting it's Lieutenant Generals to Dahar Master. A great boon for the empire for sure, so yes, we must respond and the federation council has already notified all outposts and ships of this change. I can't say if the Position will become hollow, Vice Admiral, what i can tell you is that each officer has been serving for as long as you have and many of the have shown the same skill and valor that you have demonstrated. i want to see what comes of it. However my own position has become more precarious without that extra step in rank.

I can not say what will happen once you are promoted to Fleet Admiral, ordinarily you would get command of a fleet at minimum and maybe an outpost or a starbase of your own, however considering how many are going to be promoted, it is likely your prospects of leading a large fleet are not that great, however a smaller fleet is possible. I also want to thank you for forwarding two officers from your ship to captaincy under your command on their own ships. For the moment, there is a bit of commotion on the council about what is coming and i am not sure if your officers will or wont get their promotions at this time.

Fleet Admiral Quinn, Head of Starfleet Operations. Earth Space Dock.
    [End]
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    To the USS Lexington, NCC-91709-A
    From Commander Jonas Talbot, Quartermaster at K-7

Dear Captain Jade,

you may have found several cases of romulan Ale than have been placed on your ship accidently. Although the emargo has been liftet since the Dominion War I still have to inform you that by standing order of the late Admiral Kirk there is to be no romulan Ale to be used at diplomatic receptions.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    sometimes i actually wish ranks where a reward for in-game participation and performance, where you had to be competent at hard content to get past captain rank, rather than, you got so much exp, no idea if you are capable, but here is a title regardless.

And you think there wouldn't be hundreds or thousands of players that would achieve such ranks?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I just received word that I will be able to work my way to Fleet Admiral. This is exciting news and I look forward to the opportunity of achieving this rank. When I do achieve this rank I will order all Starships in my command to attack and destroy Starfleet Headquarters, ESD, Deep Space Nine, and all other Star Fleet holdings.

P.S. I was just kidding about the above statement. Thanks for the promotion.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    [Incoming Transmission]
    To: Vice Admiral K'Mec, Daughter of Kotos. House Kotos, Qo'Nos.

My daughter, i have read your request for information. If it were anyone else i would of slew them for even asking!

Yes the High Council has in fact put out a call to warriors in the empire with a high rank, great deeds, valor and honor to come forward to claim their place as a Dahar Master! I recently received their honor to become a Dahar Master, to a tiny house like ours, it is very important, combined with your efforts, my daughter, with the help of your friends in the Federation you saved the empire from one of its worst defeats at the hands of those murderous qa'meH quv cowards! Our House has received a lot of support but not enough to claim a seat on the council unfortunately. Your deeds of valor are being sung in the empire and your efforts earn you a place in Sto'Vo'Kor when your time comes.

Your younger sister, Sanalla is almost come of age, and with the great honor on our family and the recent passing of your brother Martos in defending Earth from those qa'meH quv. She is learning under the finest warriors that the empire has and this has shown in her great maturity beyond her years, easily good enough to lead our tiny house to glory even without a male heir to the family just yet.

Your Admiral Quinn showed us great honor and your Captain Shon of the Enterprise the past few weeks, i will return the honor by confirming this to you my daughter.

I hope you return to us one day, my daughter. Qapla!

Dahar Master Kotos. House Kotos, Qo'Nos.
    [End]
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    For what it is worth, I've always hated the fact that some yahoo at Cryptic decided to use the fleet ranks from day one. We commented on this during the closed beta tests but our comments clearly fell of deaf ears.

Simply put in my not so humble opinion the rank of 'captain" should be the standard end game rank. [Now just think about that for a minute or two if you are a developer).

I think the title "admiral' should be reserved for fleet leadership only, with the title "fleet admiral' going to the leader of a fleet and accordingly "vice" at the second level and simply "admiral" at the third level.

Furthermore I think the title Commodore should have two variants. They are a gold version for earned via some serious grinding of accolade points say maybe 8,000 and a silver version for fourth level fleet status people.

Anyway, that is one of my biggest peeves with game. I'm so sick of seeing so many admirals running around it really seems ludicrous frankly speaking....
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Dear Admiral Quinn

If you try to take my Commodore rank pips from me I shall bite you.

Yours angrily
    Commodore Leo, USS Phoenix.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    Oh, and who was the idiot that thought up the idea of slapping everyone with the rank anyway?

Did you just passive aggressively call Quinn an idiot?

Guess you won't have to worry about that promotion after all :D

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    carter60carter60 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Did you just passive aggressively call Quinn an idiot?

Guess you won't have to worry about that promotion after all :D

~CaptainSmirk
    this.. this is why you and pwelaughingwendy has grown on me in this short time..
    you arent afraid to make jokes or interact with the community.

you are the ones who always makes my day a bit brighter
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    [Final incoming Transmission, Shipboard]
    To: K'Mec, Daughter of Kotos. House Kotos, Qo'Nos.
    From Commander Nirnas.

I have received a communication from Fleet Admiral Quinn in regards to your message for my promotion and the current ranking fiasco. I am greatly honored by the favor you have given and i will show Starfleet how worthy that choice is to have a Nausicaan captain in the fleet. I have no respect for those fools back home on the High Council, and when i heard they got vaporized by that Iconian i laughed out loud on the spot, figure they got chesty and got themselves killed? HA! serves them murderous cowards right. They allowed so many warriors regardless of race to die meaningless, pointless and dishonorable deaths for their own political positions and because they could. When i found out about the officer exchange and you were more then eager to get me on your ship after learning of my fate... this is the greatest life debt and one i can never repay. So for now i will wait on the federation council, but not forever.

Commander Nirnas. 1st Officer, Executive Officer.
    [End]
  • Options
    alastorforthrighalastorforthrigh Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    [Transmission from the USS Assertor]
    [To: Starfleet Quartermaster; Starbase 234]

It has come to my attention that there has been something of a mix-up during our last supply run from Starbase 234 and New Romulus. Our supply manifest was intended to contain many things to continue our assistance with the construction of the new Romulan Homeworld, including two dozen crates of self-sealing stem bolts.

However upon inspecting these crates it was discovered that each contained several thousand small cases, each containing Fleet Admiral rank pips. Curiously upon opening one of the cases a loud vibrant ‘ding’ is played, followed by what sounds like a recording of the late Ambassador Spock reciting ‘Congratulations Admiral’.

As several of the other supplies we need to deliver to the Romulan Homeworld is time sensitive we cannot directly return to Starbase 234 in order to exchange these rank pips for the required Self Sealing Stem Bolts. However we hope that this transmission, and the time involved in our continued trip and return will allow for enough time to locate the bolts, and rectify the issue that caused the incorrect cargo being transferred.

We expect to return to Starbase 234 next Tuesday.

Alastor Forthright,
    Commanding Officer; USS Assertor, NX-93045
    [Transmission Ends]
    2qTOAB3.gif
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    [Transmission from USS Broadsword, Vice Admiral S'ttel commanding]
    [To: Starfleet Command, Operations Department, Fleet Admiral Quinn]

Sir,

It has come to my attention that the Federation Council and Starfleet High Command has come to a preliminary agreement that the fleet will have the opportunity to become fleet admirals in our own right, whilst final details remain to be confirmed how this will come to work, I would like to point out a good piece of advice that was given to me upon my promotion to the centre seat, and I paraphrase:

"Don't let them promote you, don't let them put you behind a desk. Don't let them take you away from where you can make a difference..."

Whilst I would welcome the promotions and the new challenges that comes with them I would like to let you know now that if I end up 'flying a desk' I would probably take my ship and crew and go on an 'extended frontier patrol'

I look forward to your confirmation of said agreement and how the details will work out in due course.

[End transmission]
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!