test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DOFF UI Feedback Thread *Post 7/22 Patch*

Comments

• battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Nothing official here? Anything official elsewhere? Trying to find anything official around here is a goose chase. :confused:

What a mess. I just want to do my missions and move on. Not spend all day on one mission unchecking boxes. This was not an upgrade. This was a move back to pre-warp civilization. It might be faster with a stone tablet and chisel.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • aristotecharistotech Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I rarely post, but I have to say the new UI for the doff system is terrible. What good is a filter if it selects EVERYONE and doesn't have a quick way to deselect the entire list so you can find what you are looking for? I have been away for a couple weeks and would gladly roll back to the old UI so I could actually find what I'm looking for. At the VERY least, it should list the doffs that are recommended for mission success at the top of the screen, not bury them in the list. This system would work fine if we had 20 doffs total, not 400.
  • scifireality79scifireality79 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There is nothing more to say about the new UI's negatives that hasn't already been said. No matter how much I strived to adapt there is just no getting around it, the old UI is far superior in every way. It would be more efficient and less resource-consuming for you to just bring back the old UI rather than try to fix the new one.

I cannot imagine what exactly made you to feel the need to break something that was not broken. Instead of fixing\improving some current broken doff missions, like the ones that don't have a crit chance at all when they should or the ones that use stubborn both as crit and disaster, you completely annihilate the UI..

This is either someone, found to be qualified, not doing his\her job proprerly ( because well..he\she is not actually qualified ), or worse, a direct insult to our intelligence. I can't accept this as the result of anything else.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I seriously wonder if the UI change was to deliberately increase the time requirements to doff, pure time sink. I can find NO advantage with the new system. I want the old one back.
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    aristotech wrote: »
    I rarely post, but I have to say the new UI for the doff system is terrible. What good is a filter if it selects EVERYONE and doesn't have a quick way to deselect the entire list so you can find what you are looking for? I have been away for a couple weeks and would gladly roll back to the old UI so I could actually find what I'm looking for. At the VERY least, it should list the doffs that are recommended for mission success at the top of the screen, not bury them in the list. This system would work fine if we had 20 doffs total, not 400.

We wanted a filter, they gave us a filter.

Be careful what you ask for.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    Nothing official here? Anything official elsewhere?

No. There has been no response whatsoever to any of our posts in any of our threads. They're just waiting for the rage to die down so they can declare it working as intended and sweep it under the rug.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    Nothing official here? Anything official elsewhere? Trying to find anything official around here is a goose chase. :confused:

What a mess. I just want to do my missions and move on. Not spend all day on one mission unchecking boxes. This was not an upgrade. This was a move back to pre-warp civilization. It might be faster with a stone tablet and chisel.
    Well, their current policy is to not say anything until they have something important to say.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rankin0bassrankin0bass Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've noticed that the "Group by Department" selection screws up the doff filter window a bit. If it's already selected and you try to plan a new mission, your doff list starts about halfway down the list. Any additional filtering causes the window to move toward the bottom of the list.
  • fuzzyjedifuzzyjedi Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm not sure I could add anything that hasn't already been said, short of this simple opinion:

This new doff UI is horrible. It PENALIZES deeper involvement in doff selection, and together with the monumental R&D grind, overall discourages me from wanting to play STO at all. I mean the doff system before was one of the few things about this game that was close to perfect the way it was, and I don't know anyone who complained about it. Get this ugly mess off my system and return me to the clean, simple doff interface of before?

Also, Cryptic? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The DOFF filter needs a "none means all" logic and use this as default starting point. Manually deselecting every DOFF category is way too cumbersome. Or at least have an option "check only requested DOFFs" or something like that, that selects only the DOFFs listed for the task.

Also, DOFFs I already selected for the assignment should either not appear in the DOFF list at all, or be marked as already taken in some way.

Also, the advantage of the old DOFF asignment system was that you moved directly to the next DOFF once you selected a slot - that was (if you knew what you were doing) a lot faster than selecting the next slot via mouse. You may want to have some kind of system so that a player can get to the next assignment more quickly, maybe add a "Assign And Go to Next" button to confirm a selection and open the next assignment slot.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Also, DOFFs I already selected for the assignment should either not appear in the DOFF list at all, or be marked as already taken in some way.

I'm not a fan of the doff window, in fact I try not to use it now, however this is one of the daftest "quirks". Why the hell would you program a selection list that contains the doffs already assigned?

As said above - mark them used (greyed out) or remove them from the list once slotted.
    server_hamster6.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the doff window, in fact I try not to use it now, however this is one of the daftest "quirks". Why the hell would you program a selection list that contains the doffs already assigned?

As said above - mark them used (greyed out) or remove them from the list once slotted.

The DOFF selection UI feels very much like the quick-equip/loadouts features to me, and that also shows items you already equipped. That may sometimes even be desirable (if you want to move universal consoles around or change whether a weapon is in the front or back), and the items also are labelled with their current location (a label that usually unfortunately only consists of U.S.S. ... or I.K.S. ... and so is a lot less useful then it could be.) What both systems could use is putting some kind of color border or similar effect around things assigned/equipped on the current assignment/ship.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ponderscpondersc Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Is that what this is? Some bastardized version of the quick-equip system? Admittedly, I don't use the quick-equip system (too many bugs). Maybe this is just some weird coding mash-up? Why do I feel like a beta-tester?
  • thomasp94232thomasp94232 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Thomasp94232, why are your checkboxes so big and overlapping with the text?

Umm.. Because Cryptic can't build a decent UI? I have my interface scale turned down to 70, maybe that is why? I just assumed that it looked like that for everyone.

I've been here since beta
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    pondersc wrote: »
    Why do I feel like a beta-tester?

You mean alpha tester.

And you feel that way because Cryptic does no testing of their own. Even when they farm out the QA to tribble reports, they ignore all tribble reports and dump the entire bug-ridden mess directly to shard.

The only thing they look at is a very narrow set of metrics regarding players grinding. They don't want them to grind too fast. They are tweaking the grind and only the grind, to maximize the most amount of real-world money a player will spend to bypass the artificial time-gates on the grind before they quit in disgust.

And THAT is the only thing they tweak. They do it via spreadsheets data, and not with actual gameplay experience. They have no sympathy because they don't play this game. It's like they have no vested interest at all in the content they produce.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As frustrating as the new version has been, Cryptic seems to have quietly fixed a few of the worst irritants in the DOff UI:

I can now search most of my roster when selecting an alternate to the AI selections.
    I can see the profession requirements for each mission being assigned.
    The AI gets the assignments right maybe 10% of the time now.

The AI still works for highest possible crit chance on each mission, even when the chance for failure is higher. Selection for highest success chance would be more effective, and selection by profession is the shortest path to that goal.

The UI still hangs sometimes when materials need to be replicated, even when the mission roster has been filled; this requires tht GUI window to be closed & reopened before the mission will launch.

In some cases, the UI will not allow me to search the entire roster, but a only a small subset of it; I have not yet deciphered what conditions are not satisfied here.

Now, if I could figure out how the Crafting system is supposed to be deployed, I might have something useful to do with that system... :confused:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
    edited July 2014
    Umm.. Because Cryptic can't build a decent UI? I have my interface scale turned down to 70, maybe that is why? I just assumed that it looked like that for everyone.

My god did they not test this new UI with the interface scale options?

Did the old Doff UI have problems when using the interface scale modifier in the game settings?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • nscar1420nscar1420 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Anyone know if they will be fixing the filter on the DOFF UI on the next patch? A simple check all/uncheck all box??

Anyone know?
    edited July 2014
    My god did they not test this new UI with the interface scale options?

Apparently not.
    Did the old Doff UI have problems when using the interface scale modifier in the game settings?

Nope. The old UI was perfect.

edited July 2014
    So now I am finding that every now and then my manual officer selection window is "jittery". This is ridiculous. Nothing has changed on my PC, and it doesn't even happen all the time.

Set course for motion sickness! ---> http://youtu.be/0NXhPcuGCpg

And for the record I am running with the following settings:
    -Windowed mode
    -Interface Scale 70
    -All max graphic and video settings

My PC:
    -Dell Precision T7600
    -Xeon quad core CPU
    -16GB DDR3 ECC Memory
    -AMD Radeon HD 7790
    -Windows 7 Pro x64
    -All windows updates and drivers are current

• frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Something I noticed before, but just now finally took a screen shot of.. The Mining Unstable Asteroid mission is showing Flight Deck Officers as a success trait?

Screen Shot ---> http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/thomasp94/Star%20Trek%20Online/WTF/Mining_Doff_WTF_zps15ec6a68.jpg
    Actually, I think it's because you've unticked some of the selection boxes, causing DOffs to be moved in the list as others were hidden. I've noticed it do that a lot with me; trying to tell me that a Geologist is perfect for a Photonic Studies Scientist's position after I've de-selected Common and Uncommon DOffs.
    the REally weird part is that it's JUST Kel, and not your Caitian FDOs...

Turbomagnus's explanation of the bug is correct. Here is a detailed bug report explaining the problem.

Doff selection list displays wrong colors for specializations
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited July 2014
    pondersc wrote: »
    Why do I feel like a beta-tester?
    You mean alpha tester.

Well, considering that they are still implementing features after release and that I've found 10 bugs since release, I would say that the new doff UI is still in the alpha-test or beta-test stage.

"View Details" shows wrong doffs (Fixed on Tribble as of July 25, 2014)
    Missing doff portraits in "Assignment Log", "In Progress", and "Assignment Details"
    Assignment outcome overlaps with text "Result:"
    Cannot drag horizontal scrollbar in "Assignment Details" tab
    CXP font size too small in "Overview" tab of doff window
    Mouse wheel switches from horizontal to vertical scrolling in doff window
    Cannot hide filters in doff selection window
    Cannot move or resize doff selection window
    Crafting UI shows doff filters
    Doff selection list displays wrong colors for specializations

Note that the above bugs are just the ones that I've found.
    qVpg1km.png
    edited July 2014
    So now I am finding that every now and then my manual officer selection window is "jittery". This is ridiculous. Nothing has changed on my PC, and it doesn't even happen all the time.

Set course for motion sickness! ---> http://youtu.be/0NXhPcuGCpg

I wonder if this is related to the flickering mission tracker I've been seeing. I have to find a reproducible case for that.
    qVpg1km.png
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Submitted ticket, but I will add this here as well. Ticket ID #2,613,868. The doff mission "Respond to Subordinate's Challenge" will not finish. Nore will it abort. Its currently at -95 hours plus and counting. I have this on several characters.

Reproduction steps, well find the mission and run it I guess. I think its just this mission, I haven't seen it on any other mission yet.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm not very happy with the new DOFFing.
    At this point, I wish they'd put it back the way it was!

My major gripe is that filtering is a pain in the neck.
    Everytime I set filters, it erases them when I get to the next slot.
    I don't feel like setting traits, rarity, specialty etc only to lose them each time I select a different slot.

I also don't like that when you assign a specific DOFF to an assignment, they are still available in the assignment pool to be assigned again, moving them from slot 1 from slot 2, removing them from slot 1 in the process.
    Once they are slotted to the assignment, their name should be removed from the list of DOFFs offered so you don't try to slot them again.

I'm also getting cranky with the autoassignment feature.
    In the beginning, it appeared to be working quite well, it seemed to choose DOFFs by job first, rarity second, then Crit Traits (if they had them).
    Now it's assigning Security Officers to do Scientific Research and Diplomats to attack enemy fortifications simply because they match Crit Traits.
    I'm particularly annoyed because it keeps taking one specific DOFF who is always reserved for Contraband missions and I'm tired of having to replace him.

My disatisfaction is so extreme now, I don't even bother to do DOFFing anymore.
    Before this update, I did the Fleet Mining mission daily and for one character the Holodeck Hamlet mission once a week.
    I gave that up.

The Hamlet one is particularly difficult to setup, under the new system it is impossible to assign the correct DOFFs, because it requires specific DOFFs and it's just too hard to slot them with the current system.

I want it to go back to the way it was.
    Just introducing a shiny new interface does not make DOFFing better.
    In my opinion, it only made it worse!

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tilarta wrote: »
    My disatisfaction is so extreme now, I don't even bother to do DOFFing anymore.
    Before this update, I did the Fleet Mining mission daily and for one character the Holodeck Hamlet mission once a week.
    I gave that up.

The Hamlet one is particularly difficult to setup, under the new system it is impossible to assign the correct DOFFs, because it requires specific DOFFs and it's just too hard to slot them with the current system.

Bingo: with multui-doff missions, the current system is unweildly, particularly in light of the fact that assigning doffs doesn't take them out of the pool. Even something as mundane as assigning prisoners to a labor battalion is a SUPER pain in the TRIBBLE. I can only imagine how crappy Hamlet is now!
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • rankin0bassrankin0bass Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    New compact doff UI that's coming to Tribble:

https://twitter.com/CrypticEQAH/status/494238461793034240

And a new list of fixes coming to Tribble:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18284061#post18284061
    edited July 2014
    Some improvements. I'll reserve judgement. My bulleted list of failings in the new UI from a few pages back is quite extensive.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    New compact doff UI that's coming to Tribble:

https://twitter.com/CrypticEQAH/status/494238461793034240

And a new list of fixes coming to Tribble:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18284061#post18284061

Thanks for bringing that Twitter link over to the forums.

As far as the compact UI, though, the list is smaller... but why not use that extra space to add back in the detail section that was in the old UI (to the right of the old list, in the initial selection screen)? That was far more informative than the icons, and even moreso the no icons that the compact UI uses... I know, it's still sounds negative, but I do appreciate the effort.

Still, this begs the question: If you can use a dropdown for the compact UI, can't you just add a dropdown for the old UI?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    edited July 2014
    You can see the new minimized view on Tribble right now. It's not bad but almost all the other problems we have pointed out still exist, especially with the manual officer selection.

A new Tribble feedback thread has been started here:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18291861#post18291861