test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How are the new [Arc] weapons limited?

somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
edited August 2014 in The Academy
I know that the new craftable [Arc] weapons show on their tooltip that they are limited to one per ship.

But what exactly does that mean when you can craft many different energy types and weapon types? I have a bunch of questions (and no doubt I've missed the easy answer somewhere down the line) involving them:

1) Can you equip 2 of the exact same item like [Arc] Omnidirectional Beam Array (Plasma) (I'm figuring no for sure here)? What if they had different modifiers?

2) Can you equip 2 [Arc] Omnidirectional Beam Arrays if they're of different damage types (say, Plasma and Phaser)?

3) Can you equip 2 [Arc] weapons if they're of different weapon types (say, Beam Array and Cannon)?

4) What if you have the Dyson [Arc] Omnidirectional Antiproton Beam Array? What can you equip in addition to that? I know you can't equip 2 of the same quest reward (as it flat out tells you you can't on the item), but can you craft the same thing (well, the [Arc] AP Omnidirectional Beam Array part) and use that with the Dyson weapon?

As I said, no doubt I missed the simple answer somewhere down the line. But thanks either way.
Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
Razira's Primus Database Page
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited July 2014
    1.) No.

2.) Not sure, untested but likely yes as 2 already work together (Voth array + KCB)

3.) You should be able to. The [Proc] is not the limiting factor, the weapon is.

4.) See question answer #2.

Would it be possible to build out a rainbow boat will all 360 weapon arrays?

Phaser, Disrupter, Polaron, AP, Plamsa, KCB and Voth.

Double the dmg capacity of the all-turret boat. But would it be worth it?
  • docnightwalker1docnightwalker1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    1.) No.

2.) Not sure, untested but likely yes as 2 already work together (Voth array + KCB)

3.) You should be able to. The [Proc] is not the limiting factor, the weapon is.

4.) See question answer #2.

Would it be possible to build out a rainbow boat will all 360 weapon arrays?

Phaser, Disrupter, Polaron, AP, Plamsa, KCB and Voth.

Double the dmg capacity of the all-turret boat. But would it be worth it?

I have wondered about that myself, you could use all beam spire consoles I suppose.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Next Generation of Rainbow Boats - now (somewhat) effective! :D

And yes, I know that the KCB and Voth (oops) AP weapon were supposed to work together. I'm just curious how the Voth AP 360 Beam is designed.

Well, now to wait for someone to hit max crafting level (or whatever) to try it out.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The current Omni beam is from the Obelisk (not Voth and not really named 'Dyson', though it shares looks with the Dyson sphere we're fighting in).

1) No, and afaik there aren't different modifiers possible. The only random thing with these top of the line crafting items is whether they'll be very rare of ultra rare. (EDIT: Oh, that about modifiers is wrong, you can get different modifiers, apparently randomly as well.)

2) I guess so, don't see what would prevent that.

3) Most certainly yes.

4) No idea if you can add the crafted AP Arc beam to a ship already outfitted with the current AP Omni beam.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If its anything like the particle plasma torp project even if you hit high enough to craft them it won't let you select a doff to start crafting it. I guess they figured ppl would never hit high enough right out the gate to get it rofl.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's one per boat...
    No, right now, you can only equip one of ANY of them. So you can use one - of whatever shade of rainbow you prefer - but you can't have a 360 degree beamboat. That'd be over the top.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It's one per boat...

I must have missed that post, or misinterpreted it.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    edited July 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    I must have missed that post, or misinterpreted it.

I had misread what Hawk had said before that, so he had to jump in and correct it before the ball got rolling on the bad info...
    edited July 2014
    It's one per boat...

That answers that then. Thanks.

Now, can I craft one if I have the Obelisk one installed too? Here's to hoping that's a yes. It sounds like a yes.
  • freenos85freenos85 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    I know that the new craftable [Arc] weapons show on their tooltip that they are limited to one per ship.

But what exactly does that mean when you can craft many different energy types and weapon types? I have a bunch of questions (and no doubt I've missed the easy answer somewhere down the line) involving them:

1) Can you equip 2 of the exact same item like [Arc] Omnidirectional Beam Array (Plasma) (I'm figuring no for sure here)? What if they had different modifiers? No

2) Can you equip 2 [Arc] Omnidirectional Beam Arrays if they're of different damage types (say, Plasma and Phaser)? No

3) Can you equip 2 [Arc] weapons if they're of different weapon types (say, Beam Array and Cannon)? Yes

4) What if you have the Dyson [Arc] Omnidirectional Antiproton Beam Array? What can you equip in addition to that? I know you can't equip 2 of the same quest reward (as it flat out tells you you can't on the item), but can you craft the same thing (well, the [Arc] AP Omnidirectional Beam Array part) and use that with the Dyson weapon? Dunno

As I said, no doubt I missed the simple answer somewhere down the line. But thanks either way.

The definite answers i've given where also given by adjudicatorhawk in the Crafting Revamp Feedback thread.
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If there is one thing that I hated about sto from the start its the necessity to broadside beams. Then i heard about the crafting stuff and i thought great arc beams sounds super.

Now these arc beams are unique so still no arc beam setup for little old me:(
    So much for my return to sto:(
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    From empirical testing on Tribble:
    NO, you can't use it with ANY of the other Arc weapons. It's basically just an Omni Beam in a different color, and there's still only one.

The AP versions of the wide cannons are TRIBBLE, because they are locked to the TRIBBLE modset....non-AP cannons appear to receive regular mods while retaining their Arc abilities. The Arc ability itself is mostly useless, however, since plinking with one cannon serves no purpose as you cannot get the others to match it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    From empirical testing on Tribble:
    NO, you can't use it with ANY of the other Arc weapons. It's basically just an Omni Beam in a different color, and there's still only one.

So no quest reward [ARC] Omni Beam along with any other crafted [ARC] Omni Beam. What a waste.
  • johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you can't use multiples of the same type, then why would anybody make an anti proton one since the quest one is going to be easier to get. It still allows the borg cutting beam and one of the Omni beams though, right?
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So no quest reward [ARC] Omni Beam along with any other crafted [ARC] Omni Beam. What a waste.
    It is. :(

But i'm not able to figure out, why there is such a limitation in the first place.
    I mean Turrets aren't limited to only one per ship. Why not align the omni Beam damage with turret damage, so we can use as much as we want?
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    1) Can you equip 2 of the exact same item like [Arc] Omnidirectional Beam Array (Plasma) (I'm figuring no for sure here)? What if they had different modifiers?
    No and no.
    2) Can you equip 2 [Arc] Omnidirectional Beam Arrays if they're of different damage types (say, Plasma and Phaser)?
    No.
    3) Can you equip 2 [Arc] weapons if they're of different weapon types (say, Beam Array and Cannon)?
    Likely yes, but I haven't tried. One cannon and one beam would be the limit, though.
    4) What if you have the Dyson [Arc] Omnidirectional Antiproton Beam Array? What can you equip in addition to that?
    A cannon, but not a beam. The Dyson one counts as an [Arc] weapon just like the crafted ones.
    I know you can't equip 2 of the same quest reward (as it flat out tells you you can't on the item), but can you craft the same thing (well, the [Arc] AP Omnidirectional Beam Array part) and use that with the Dyson weapon?
    No, as stated above.

The Borg Kinetic Cutting Beam does NOT count as an [Arc] beam, however.

So you CAN equip both a KCB and a crafted [Arc] beam, or a KCB and the Dyson [Arc] beam, but you CANNOT equip both the Dyson [Arc] beam and a crafted [Arc] beam.
    No problem...it can be confusing. I only know that the Dyson one counts as one because I tried it. Ditto with the KCB; I know it doesn't count because I tried it.
    edited July 2014
    johnnymo1 wrote: »
    If you can't use multiples of the same type, then why would anybody make an anti proton one since the quest one is going to be easier to get.

For somebody not interested in running the 2pc Obelisk set but still wanting to run a 360 AP Array, being able to craft a UR Mk XII version would be an improvement over the free one from the mission.

You'd have [Acc][Arc][Dmg][???] instead of just [Acc][Arc][Dmg] and have the +2.5% damage strength/base from being UR instead of VR. Even though the Obelisk OD AP is shown as being a level-less item, it's a Mk XII...so crafting a VR version to get the same mods - same damage - er...nope, that wouldn't make sense.

But for folks not running the 2pc that wanted the benefits of the UR...er...they might do it.
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited July 2014
    Personally don't care about an all [Arc] beam ship,

but I do wish they would change the restriction to allow 2 - [Arc] arrays per ship so I could have a beam turret for all intents. Mostly for aesthetic reasons for example....

Intrepid Retrofit
    • 2 - DBB, 1 - Torpedo
    • 2 - [Arc] arrays, 1 - Torpedo / KCB

It would be nice if we could also craft the [Arc] arrays in hybrid form.... Phased BioMatter Beam array Mk XII [Arc] for example so I could color match my weapons. The option to craft Heavy single cannons / Heavy turrets would also be interesting, that might really sell me on crafting at the moment :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    adwynyth wrote: »

So you CAN equip both a KCB and a crafted [Arc] beam, or a KCB and the Dyson [Arc] beam, but you CANNOT equip both the Dyson [Arc] beam and a crafted [Arc] beam.

I'm just pondering,
    is it possible to equip one Disruptor [arc] and one plasma [arc] weapon, for instance?
    Or does the limitation apply to ALL [arc] weapons, no matter what damage type?
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    edited July 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    I'm just pondering,
    is it possible to equip one Disruptor [arc] and one plasma [arc] weapon, for instance?
    Or does the limitation apply to ALL [arc] weapons, no matter what damage type?

Can't 360 rainbow arrays.
    No, right now, you can only equip one of ANY of them. So you can use one - of whatever shade of rainbow you prefer - but you can't have a 360 degree beamboat. That'd be over the top.

Heh, he was replying to me...I was having a happy moment for a few seconds. He had to nip it in the bud fast, lol...
    edited July 2014
    Can't 360 rainbow arrays.
    It's a shame...
    I was playing with the idea of putting 360 degrees beam array to the rear slots of a crusier.
    So that ship would get a much more canon fireing arc screen.

A tale of two Picards
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    1st, get a battle cruiser, then get phasers or disrupters, then put the KGB, a 360beam, and the heavy turret on it. Then you have 8 weapons firing on the font w a 270 degree acr, with the three back weapons covering the rear.
    edited July 2014
    1st, get a battle cruiser, then get phasers or disrupters, then put the KGB, a 360beam, and the heavy turret on it. Then you have 8 weapons firing on the font w a 270 degree acr, with the three back weapons covering the rear.

I refuse to fly the Avenger.

A tale of two Picards
  • ankokunekoankokuneko Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Implying avenger is the only battlecruiser
    jFriX.png
    edited July 2014
    ankokuneko wrote: »
    Implying avenger is the only battlecruiser

There's an new Starfleet battlecruiser? :confused::D

I'm not playing a KDF (or ROM).
    I tried it several times, but i just can't motivate myself to play one.
    And i'm not a fan of Lockbox ships, i just want to play a Starfleet officer (flying a Starfleet ship) not a mercenary.
    Maybe that's too much to ask for in a Star Trek game, nowadays. Lol.

A tale of two Picards
  • ankokunekoankokuneko Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I was about to say there is a bunch of KDF and box ships
    jFriX.png
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    How exactly does the limitation break down across types? Can I for example have one Beam Array plus one Dual Beam Bank equipped? Can I have the Beam Array and a Dual Cannon equipped?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Yes you could have a mixed cannon/beam build. However it would be as effecient as beams don't benefit from Cannon BOff powers and cannons don't benefit from Beam BOff powers.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    I refuse to fly the Avenger.

Your Loss, but I fly the Mogh, not the Avenger.
  • veryth12veryth12 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The AP versions of the wide cannons are TRIBBLE, because they are locked to the TRIBBLE modset....non-AP cannons appear to receive regular mods while retaining their Arc abilities. The Arc ability itself is mostly useless, however, since plinking with one cannon serves no purpose as you cannot get the others to match it.

on a static unmoving target, no the arc cannons would not do you any good. In actual ship to ship combat where you are forced to move in order to bring your foreward weapons to bare, it would give you an extra 1-2 volleys you would not normally get. Giant dps increase all the time? No, but it will help a little when you are moving.