test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

R&D 20h dependent?

asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
First off, i like the UI for the new R&D. And the revamped R&D is very cool! I like it.

Negatives:

- Those who had R&D have to start from scratch: that's not really fair!
- after you reach lvl 2 in any research you are dependent of the 20h research project: that sucks big time!!! (no, the DIL solution for short cutting the time is not a solution. => they want to make even more money!!! Lockbox not enough?)

==> R&D lost its magic after i figured the above two out! Byebye R&D
Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
Post edited by asches1 on

Comments

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    asches1 wrote: »
    First off, i like the UI for the new R&D. And the revamped R&D is very cool! I like it.

Negatives:

- after you reach lvl 2 in any research you are dependent of the 20h research project: that sucks big time!!! (no, the DIL solution for short cutting the time is not a solution. => they want to make even more money!!! Lockbox not enough?)

but I get dil for free...

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited July 2014

This, for me, is a big failing. "Oh, you worked hard getting to Max Level for R&D? Well, we're revamping it and you'll have to start from scratch - tough luck."

It'd be like revamping the Reputation system and restting everyone's progress "just cuz".
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You can always just pay 20 k dil to get through timegates.

Then buy some zen and sell for more dil, see how fast you can get to max level crafting
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They turned Crafting into a massive Reputation Grind. Instead of Marks, its Mats.

Call me when they actually make a real crafting system. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    This is why they didn't release new holdings. They had a massive personal dil sink on the works. Welcome to the new grind.
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Negatives:

While I am not happy with the Dilithum shortcut. I really dont understand the whole 'start from scratch' complaint. They totally revamped the system sure. But its not like they didnt give players something for their work on previous iterations. You received your updated Aegis Sets and a Duty Officer to boot.

And lets be honest. Had they tried to switch your experience with the Crafting system over. And it turned out you had nothing new to gain from it. Youd have been upset about that. Demanding Cryptic should have known ahead of time and released more Crafting content for those who had maxxed it out.

Theres no telling if this is the end of Crafting, and youll get no farther then what you see currently. Or if they plan to continue to add to it and possibly release more sets. I would think theyve learned their lesson after this many iterations of Crafting. And they intend on adding to it.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    I'm still wondering where my DOff is...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I ran 2 characters through the old system from just enough to cugrade the Horta to max crafting skill in a couple of days. (And then I crafted the Aegis set with one of them so I'd get the free upgrade.) It looks like I'm going to get plenty of mats just doing missions and doffing around. (And the R&D doff assignments don't count against the 20 standard missions.)
    I'm also happy with the dil shortcut. It'll act as a dilithium sink, and isn't mandatory. Sure, getting to max in a school will take longer, but given how much crafting I was doing before, I don't care. So it takes 3-4 months for the first school. It's not conflicting with anything else I was doing.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    This, for me, is a big failing. "Oh, you worked hard getting to Max Level for R&D? Well, we're revamping it and you'll have to start from scratch - tough luck."

It'd be like revamping the Reputation system and restting everyone's progress "just cuz".

You do realize how lackluster and easy the original max level was right?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Apparently, this 20h Mission is a success for Cryptic. I'm already seeing a couple of People on ESD advertising MK12 VRs. :rolleyes:

Obviously they did the "finish now" option on the 20 hour missions and spent a ton of Dilithum. Probably goldfarmer doing it to get wealthy by charging high and then transferring his EC to his buddies to sell again. :P

Yep, this is helping the economy.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    This is why they didn't release new holdings. They had a massive personal dil sink on the works. Welcome to the new grind.

Agreed lucho, but I suspect they are in the works, for another possible dilithium grind (possible fleet holding) soon, but technically to Cryptic a dilithium sink was needed.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Lol, the new system is more crafting than the old one ever was.

Old system: crafting score is only used to unlock more advanced items
    New system: crafting score affects your rate of success on even lower-level items

Old system: no specialization
    New system: 7 schools to level up in, limited slots encourage specializing

Old system: only set items can be crafted (just like a store)
    New system: random modifiers exponentially increase diversity of crafted gear

Old system: Aegis and combat hortas are really only crafting-exclusive items
    New system: various crafting-exclusive modifiers or special items

Old system: no progression once max score is reached
    New system: advancement after level 15 continues to increase crafting performance

Sure, it takes time (or dilithium) to get through, but what crafting system doesn't? The advantages over the old system are so many, it's kind of ridiculous to reject it outright as 'not really crafting'. But I guess talk is cheap.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Are you kidding? The original was closest we ever got to real crafting. You had to take a regular / common item and upgrade it with technology.

This new Crafting is nothing but a lousy Reputation system. Materials are the Marks, and you invest in a mission that can be fast with low xp or 1 day with large amounts of experience. (Or spend a massive amounts of Dilithum to magically learn everything and get to end-game gear in hours. :rolleyes:) And you unlock "stores" to get items.

Crafting is when you want to create an item, from scratch, or enhance an existing item. This system isn't it by a mile. We told them to look up the best crafting systems, and they ignored us. All because they wanted more DL tax. They don't care about us one iota, they just care about squeezing the lemon til it's dry and move on to the next MMO. That's what PWE does.
  • Options
    captyoung01captyoung01 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Negatives:

I totally agree that is was not fair for those of us who where high level R&D, then have to work up again. . Cryptic isn't thinking this stuff through.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Eh for someone like me who could care less for the most part about crafting junk. I am fine with the system.

I can run a 20hr mission once...

Then run 2 20hr missions... each day until I get one to 5...

My crafting will be max at some point. With very little cost to me. In the mean time I am collecting all the junk I need to craft stuffz as I play anyway. When my crafting is done I should have most of what I need to craft the stuff I want.

The only people this is going to cost anything at all in terms of D are the impatient ones. I see no issues there.

Cryptic does a good job of allowing you to play and have all the toys for free in STO. ALL of them. The only reason to ever Pay any $ is to speed things along.

A jug fills drop by drop. Relax folks the "Dilithium tax" is only for the the weak, if you have self restraint the only things that should cost you anything are the nice toys that require a token amount in the end.

The finish now though... is sort of nice if you are the type that logs in once a day and that's it. If your an hour or two short of a finish you can now speed it up and start the next one and log out. The amount of D does drop as the timer ticks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    All the people QQing about there old Crafting XP... need to get over it. lol

Frankly the old crafting system was a joke... and you could max your crafting in about 15-20 min with less then a million worth of traces picked up on the exchange. Why should you get credit for that. lmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Eh for someone like me who could care less for the most part about crafting junk. I am fine with the system.

I can run a 20hr mission once...

Then run 2 20hr missions... each day until I get one to 5...

My crafting will be max at some point. With very little cost to me. In the mean time I am collecting all the junk I need to craft stuffz as I play anyway. When my crafting is done I should have most of what I need to craft the stuff I want.

The only people this is going to cost anything at all in terms of D are the impatient ones. I see no issues there.

Cryptic does a good job of allowing you to play and have all the toys for free in STO. ALL of them. The only reason to ever Pay any $ is to speed things along.

A jug fills drop by drop. Relax folks the "Dilithium tax" is only for the the weak, if you have self restraint the only things that should cost you anything are the nice toys that require a token amount in the end.

The finish now though... is sort of nice if you are the type that logs in once a day and that's it. If your an hour or two short of a finish you can now speed it up and start the next one and log out. The amount of D does drop as the timer ticks.

True, but unless they made the necessary high level crafting materials unbound, you will still need spend dilithium to obtain them for making high level crafted items.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Frankly the old crafting system was a joke... and you could max your crafting in about 15-20 min with less then a million worth of traces picked up on the exchange. Why should you get credit for that. lmao

By that logic the new system is just as much as a joke as the old. :rolleyes:
    and you could max your crafting in about 15-20 min with less then a million Dilithum picked up on the Dilithum exchange. Why should you get credit for that. lmao

See my point?

Within a few hours we had people at Level 15 just by spamming that "finish now" button on the 20hr mission. And already we are seeing the first MK12 VRs sold millions of EC and cornering the market. And by the time normal players get to end-game, the Exchange will be so flooded with these goods, they will be next-to-worthless.

So GOOD JOB CRYPTIC!
  • Options
    captyoung01captyoung01 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Fact of the matter is, regardless of how the XP was obtained (IE; Old System), many of us where still at high XP Level. And it didn't take me no 15-20 mins btw. So yes I do feel that once again I was robbed of something hard earned ( referring to the Reputation Trait Change over). And I am going to say something about it, regardless if others feel I am crying about it.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Fact of the matter is, regardless of how the XP was obtained (IE; Old System), many of us where still at high XP Level. And it didn't take me no 15-20 mins btw. So yes I do feel that once again I was robbed of something hard earned ( referring to the Reputation Trait Change over). And I am going to say something about it, regardless if others feel I am crying about it.

Yeah, I am still lost on why the need to restrict reputation traits like they did, only to make them even more potent, and add in ever increasing power creep with everything else.

Kind of defeats the purpose does it not, trying to prevent so called power creep!!!

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Negatives:

- entitlement claims huh? start over.
    - its an option it isnt a requirement for the 20h bypass.

and the 20h bypass is nothing, there is this doff mission something about wilderness survival training that lasts 72h, started it yesterday.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited July 2014

And this system where you can 'buy' yourself xp with dilithium is better ????
    The thing is i did something, farming traces, max crafting and they took that away.
    Then they toke reputation powers away, power-creep. Now we can grind new powers ??? WTH
  • Options
    khaldun1khaldun1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Having done the horrible first gen crafting to mastery on 2 characters, hearing we have to start over from zero is complete BS. WE get a title and a blue doff. Ooooooooh. WTF Cryptic. So not cool.

As far as entitlement, yeah, we did the work. People who are master crafters pre 9.5 should have at least have gotten some sort of discount on leveling requirements or SOMETHING instead of the sandpaper wrapped adult toy.
  • Options
    bhthephoenixbhthephoenix Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, I am still lost on why the need to restrict reputation traits like they did, only to make them even more potent, and add in ever increasing power creep with everything else.

Kind of defeats the purpose does it not, trying to prevent so called power creep!!!

The reason is power creep. If you keep making reputations that's about 3 new powers per reputation (well 3 to space and 3 to ground). With 5 reputations that is about 15 additional traits. The new trait mechanic limits that number to five.

So while not realistic it will help with the power creep.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    johngazman wrote: »

The good thing is, no one worked hard for maxing out the old R&D. And old R&D was only good for the Aegis set (which wasn't a particularly good one compared to many of the later ones), and if you crafted that, your Aegis Set got a neat boost with the crafting change.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have absolutely no idea why people are angry about losing the previous crafting system. :confused:
    Nothing in the list, an I mean literally nothing, was worth crafting. Absolutely every weapon,
    console, shield, etc. was inferior to some mission reward.

The old AEGIS-set was a bad joke by todays standards and those that were still around got automatically upgraded for free.

Yeah it sucks that it's just another dil sink but honestly, if you can craft stuff thats actually woth the dil and comparable to the fleet and rep gear then the new one actually has a right to exist unlike the old one.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I wish there was a way to time that, because that is simply false.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Member Posts: 249
    edited July 2014
    my aegis set is stil leveless AND its not bound to account.. pls fix...
  • Options
    meridian113meridian113 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So,to craft very rare Mk XII gear you need very rare mats and those mats are gather how?
    via R&D pack that cost 1000 zen and you hope that you will get those mats or how else?