test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

An unsettling rumor: The End of Exploration

Comments

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    even though anyone who has completed these accolades won't lose them this is very upsetting for many players who would like to get these accolades and will not be able to do so.
    we can only hope at some point the ability to earn these accolades will return in one way or another but sadly I fear from past experience of accolades that have been removed never to return that once they are taken out they will never come back and many players will have many accolades that they will never get as a result or even worse many accolades that are half completed that cannot be finished.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    even though anyone who has completed these accolades won't lose them this is very upsetting for many players who would like to get these accolades and will not be able to do so.
    we can only hope at some point the ability to earn these accolades will return in one way or another but sadly I fear from past experience of accolades that have been removed never to return that once they are taken out they will never come back and many players will have many accolades that they will never get as a result or even worse many accolades that are half completed that cannot be finished.

Did you not actually read the Devs reply in this thread about this? if you had you would know that we are not losing the accolades at all, new players will still be able to get them (barring any issue that makes it impossible to do so which is highly unlikely), but by doing different things.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Ok, read it. So, what's the problem?

To recap ...

In season 9.5 they are removing access to the clusters. Poof. Gone. You can't go to B'Tran and do missions anymore.

One of the effects of that removal is you can no longer work toward those accolades.

The OP created this thread to discuss that. The OP likes accolades. And was concerned that this change to the game was going to take away access to some of the game's accolades.

That's the problem.

The solution to the problem is, later on in the thread, a developer stopped in to say they are considering ways to make those accolades obtainable through the DOFF system.

Still, if 9.5 went live tomorrow the accolades would not be obtainable until whatever the devs are "considering" actually gets implemented.

It is a problem for people who like going after accolades and don't yet have those accolades.

How did you miss all of this? It's all right there in the posts of this thread spelled out pretty clearly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • generalbannon07generalbannon07 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Apart from the accolades, there will be another issue:
    The "Explore strange new worlds" daily would also most likely be gone.
    Which also means that another way to generate Dilithium will be most likely gone forever.
    t643t0.jpg

Original join date: Jul 2008
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Ok, read it. So, what's the problem?

Loss of access to useless internet points.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    I've heard a very unpleasant rumor circulating to which clarity is definitely needed:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/28jgi1/death_of_support_doff_chain/

One word: Accolades.

Remove cluster and sector combat missions and you remove a large section of accolades some players already have gotten, while others have yet to get to.

I been grinding months to build my game up to the level where I can engage content such as those exploration missions, for the accolades themselves if nothing else. If you remove that, it means players like me are not going to be able to get the accolades. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't get 70 daily missions per cluster before the end of July.

That is very unsettling, especially considering the great amount of accolades involved. After all the grind and hard hours I've spent preparing to get to that section of content, not being able to get them is something I don't want to hear. I'm not going to rest easy until some clarification is made on this.

In the meantime, I encourage players who've been grinding, hoping as I have to get to cluster mission content, to join with me and send a clear message to the developers/whoever is in charge:

Please do not remove the ability to get current exploration accolades. Thank you.

not a rumor
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    I think Cryptic plans on replacing exploration with something else, although they have not officially announced anything yet. They've dropped a hint or two about replacing that aspect of the game, and it has been suggested that the upcoming expansion will revolve around exploration.

probably an exploration reboot. lets face it the dev team has been pulling out the old rotten beams and woodwork in this house of theirs for a bit now because they have the ability to do so. they can finally get something in place to what they may have been planning on for years but couldnt find a place to put it or an excuse until now with the delta quadrant. if i was to has at a guess, you cant explore strange new worlds in places where everyone has been before in the core of the alpha quadrant, the delta quadrant remains largely a complete mystery, so the chances of exploration in this area of the game is significantly better then that silly idea about jumping off the sector space travel into places like delta volanis or rolor nebula and such.

trek is about exploration in all the series there was always an exploration aspect to it, the chances are that exploration will remain but likely funneled through another sink for some purpose.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    We're working on a way to make these accolades completable under the new system of star clusters.
    Wait, what?

New system of star clusters?

Ok... what's the new system?
    Why haven't we heard of it by now?
    Why you're removing the old clusters without introducing the new ones?
    Why not just wait until its released?
    When it's gonna be released?
    Why hasn't anyone from Cryptic replied a bit sooner to any of the numerous threads expressing concerns about the removal of star clusters?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Wait, what?

Why hasn't anyone from Cryptic replied a bit sooner to any of the numerous threads expressing concerns about the removal of star clusters?

Ill take a crack at your questions. In order

We have heard of it a dev blog drought it up as well as several other posts.

Technically they are not removing them just making them so that you can not enter them.

To do what drop a surprise on us?

Season 9.5

they have.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
    edited July 2014
    Wait, what?

We have heard of it by now. The "new" system is that they're moved into the maps, as dots where you can access them just for DOFFing. You can test it on Tribble right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    I been grinding months to build my game up to the level where I can engage content such as those exploration missions, for the accolades themselves if nothing else.

Sprayed my hot tea all over the monitor. Grinding for months to handle exploration clusters?

Thanks, I always like starting the day with a good laugh and you certainly delivered. :D
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm going to BET that this is a temporary measure. I think that they're going to bring a major exploration revamp and a large content boost with Expansion 2. Probably an episode series (think 5 or 6 fully-voiced episodes), at least one new sector block, and likely completely revamped exploration missions.

There really isn't that much else that they CAN do for E2.
    edited July 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    I'm going to BET that this is a temporary measure.

Like all their other "temporary" removals? As in, we'll get about 1.5 years of "we're going to replace it with [lofty ideas]" then they'll go silent?
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Like all their other "temporary" removals? As in, we'll get about 1.5 years of "we're going to replace it with [lofty ideas]" then they'll go silent?

I'm choosing to be optimistic. The exploration missions WERE dated and often glitchy, and the graphics tended to flicker in places.

Better to give them a really good revamp, maybe rework the Diplomacy system while they're at it.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We have heard of it by now. The "new" system is that they're moved into the maps, as dots where you can access them just for DOFFing. You can test it on Tribble right now.
    That's just doffing, not star cluster content. Star Cluster content includes exploration missions and all that stuff.

So... wait, does that mean that by "the new system of star clusters" they just have doff missions in mind? Not exploration revamp, random missions, first contact missions and so on?

Well now I'm disappointed again... I couldn't care less about doffing accolades considering Cryptic's basically removing a huge portion of random missions from the game without putting anything in their place...
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We're working on a way to make these accolades completable under the new system of star clusters. Anyone who has completed the accolades won't lose them...
    Thank you Jheinig for stopping in and providing an update. Do you expect to complete your work and the new way to complete the accolades will go live with S9.5, or will we have to wait some additional time for that new functionality to be completed?
    ...I personally also like to occasionally offer rewards tied to accolades, such as the Risian duty officers, which could only be requisitioned if you completed enough summer accolades. I make no promises, but I think it would be interesting to have some kind of reward that you can only access by completing certain star cluster accolades, or groups of them.
    This sort of stuff is awesome and I would fully support such additions. Thanks!

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    We're working on a way to make these accolades completable under the new system of star clusters. Anyone who has completed the accolades won't lose them.

I personally also like to occasionally offer rewards tied to accolades, such as the Risian duty officers, which could only be requisitioned if you completed enough summer accolades. I make no promises, but I think it would be interesting to have some kind of reward that you can only access by completing certain star cluster accolades, or groups of them.

#1 - Thanks for working on a way to complete these. Please test them all well. To this day the Gamma Orionis sector defense accolade takes "workarounds" to advance and complete because it was forgotten when the other sector defense accolades got changed.

#2 - It would be great if there were more rewards tied to accolades. Some people have gone to great lengths to obtain some of them and it would be great if we got bonuses like the one you mentioned.
    edited July 2014
    So... wait, does that mean that by "the new system of star clusters" they just have doff missions in mind? Not exploration revamp, random missions, first contact missions and so on?

Correct. Currently they have stated they will be revamping the DOFFing part and that will all be restored and playable.

They have made no official comment on what happens to the mission content. It's going away. And if it comes back ever, is just pure speculation right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    I'm choosing to be optimistic.

I'm not optimistic. I'm waiting on any kind of official statement. Otherwise it's just speculation on my part and experience has taught me that I like things about Star Trek games that the development team seems to not think of. So I've never really been on the same wavelength. Thus my optimism doesn't do much.
    The exploration missions WERE dated and often glitchy, and the graphics tended to flicker in places.

I wouldn't call it dated. The content was 4 years old.

Lower Guk in Everquest is 16 years old. And still rock solid and going strong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There really isn't that much else that they CAN do for E2.

Use your imagination, or better don't ... some leaked Audio Samples include lot's of "Targeting DQ - Enemy XYZ" ... sure this could be part of some Exploration where you have to shoot "Enemy Waves XYZ" ...

... but looking at Content of the last Seasons I'd expect something more like "Adventure Zones" in which to "shoot Enemies of your choice" to get through some "(Reputation) Grinds" ... so that's one thing they CAN do for E2 ...

-> Some FE's + Level Cap Increase, including some year-long grind (maybe for Mk XIII Stuff) + Adventure Zones = perfectly fine Expansion (Cryptic-wise)
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
    edited July 2014
    I'm choosing to be optimistic.

No, you're choosing to be "Pollyanna in her industrial-strength rose-colored glasses." But good luck anyway.
    The exploration missions WERE dated and often glitchy, and the graphics tended to flicker in places.

Sounds like the graphics in the last FE that everyone's hailing as the Second Coming to me. And every other graphics in the game. But sure, let's get rid of this because it acts like all the rest. :rolleyes:
    Better to give them a really good revamp, maybe rework the Diplomacy system while they're at it.

Yes, if they actually did anything like that it would be good.

But so far Exploration appears to be getting the Terradome treatment: "No really, we're gonna bring it back with improvements...sometime...down the road...maybe...oh, have you seen our latest Reputation goodies? No really, look over there!"
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Sounds like the graphics in the last FE that everyone's hailing as the Second Coming to me. And every other graphics in the game. But sure, let's get rid of this because it acts like all the rest. :rolleyes:

so The Last FE had buildings floating 5 feet above the ground? had your BO's and NPC's planted in the ground so that they couldnt be shot, but still shoot towards thing that were above the gorund? Did it have holes in the ground where you could walk over just fine but your entire away team mysteriously drops under the map? Game breaking glitches so that the map could not be completed? Entire Spawns of enemies just... never showing up?
  • jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    In the updates that I just finished testing, characters will keep their credit for old exploration, and gain new credit for completing DOFF assigments tied to the cluster. So, if you are at 14/15 toward the Delta Volanis Wanderer accolade, you can complete one Delta Volanis DOFF assignment and you will earn the accolade.

If you have already earned the accolade, nothing changes -- you keep it.

If you have never started the accolade, you can earn it by doing star cluster DOFF assignments.

This is work in progress and the first iterations should be going to Tribble soon for testing. Hopefully it will all work as intended (fingers crossed) and voila.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    so The Last FE had buildings floating 5 feet above the ground? had your BO's and NPC's planted in the ground so that they couldnt be shot, but still shoot towards thing that were above the gorund? Did it have holes in the ground where you could walk over just fine but your entire away team mysteriously drops under the map? Game breaking glitches so that the map could not be completed? Entire Spawns of enemies just... never showing up?
    While I have seen all of the above.... such things happen very rarely in the clusters. I went through a few dozen of them this week looking for interesting maps to make pics of. Never had a single glitch of any consequence. the only thing out of place was one map where a D'Arsay gravestone was floating above the ground instead of resting on it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2014
    In the updates that I just finished testing, characters will keep their credit for old exploration, and gain new credit for completing DOFF assigments tied to the cluster. So, if you are at 14/15 toward the Delta Volanis Wanderer accolade, you can complete one Delta Volanis DOFF assignment and you will earn the accolade.

If you have never started the accolade, you can earn it by doing star cluster DOFF assignments.

This is work in progress and the first iterations should be going to Tribble soon for testing. Hopefully it will all work as intended (fingers crossed) and voila.

So apparently accolades will be doable. But the actual content goes away. Devs missing the point once again ... *facepalm*
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Thanks! This is a nice band-aid for now until some future exploration stuff is introduced.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I am more disturbed that you guys are simply gutting the Exploration clusters altogether, and not fixing and making them better.

You are gutting an entire swathe of gameplay in favor of simple DOFF missions, and not replacing the original with something better.

If you DO indeed have something better in the works, the least you guys could do was keep the current Exploration system in place until the new and improved version is ready.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    capnmanx wrote: »
    After reading that, I don't really see a problem. I mean, am I the only one who was puzzled about the Federation mounting an expeditionary force in a sector so far away it was only reachable by a transwarp gateway, but not having yet explored a stellar cluster less than twenty light-years from Earth??

And as the blog notes, the missions were very "samey" and boring. I didn't even bother with them, after spending the better part of two days trying to find the world that needed the items I was supposed to deliver for the exploration mission. If I want to be bored out of my skull by doing the same thing over and over, I'll pay attention at work, thanks. At least you can get paid for that.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Since the Accolade Question is answered...
    I can live with the changes.
    Why? Because imho thats the preparation of many more sectors to come, they replace some ancient subpar random stuff with something new (Expansion 2 ?).
    I won't miss the "holes in the ground" or "missing enemy group" bug, or the Early-Years-of-Cryptic-Hombrewed-Abomination-Races,
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
This discussion has been closed.