test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

An unsettling rumor: The End of Exploration

xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
I've heard a very unpleasant rumor circulating to which clarity is definitely needed:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/28jgi1/death_of_support_doff_chain/

One word: Accolades.

Remove cluster and sector combat missions and you remove a large section of accolades some players already have gotten, while others have yet to get to.

I been grinding months to build my game up to the level where I can engage content such as those exploration missions, for the accolades themselves if nothing else. If you remove that, it means players like me are not going to be able to get the accolades. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't get 70 daily missions per cluster before the end of July.

That is very unsettling, especially considering the great amount of accolades involved. After all the grind and hard hours I've spent preparing to get to that section of content, not being able to get them is something I don't want to hear. I'm not going to rest easy until some clarification is made on this.

In the meantime, I encourage players who've been grinding, hoping as I have to get to cluster mission content, to join with me and send a clear message to the developers/whoever is in charge:

Please do not remove the ability to get current exploration accolades. Thank you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think Cryptic plans on replacing exploration with something else, although they have not officially announced anything yet. They've dropped a hint or two about replacing that aspect of the game, and it has been suggested that the upcoming expansion will revolve around exploration.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,745 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Also a Dev recently stated that they were looking at how to make the Accolades still obtainable.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ankokunekoankokuneko Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    But accolades dont do anything ...
    jFriX.png
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Replacing or removing, still doesn't clarify what's going on with the accolades. The picture on that webpage I linked above doesn't help to settle the unease.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ankokuneko wrote: »

Some grant titles and the combat accolades can grant minor damage buffs and resistance bonuses.
    edited July 2014

Aside from minor buffs provided, accolades are a measure of game progress. Since everyone can have the same level, complete all the same reps and get all pretty much the same and there is no completion award, accolades are what serves for an accomplished achievements score atm. Dedicated players compare their accolade tallies to see who has the most and who has reached the most content. It's fair, it's clear and it should remain accessible.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I believe it was Mr. Hamilton who said they were looking into ways to make those accolades achievable. And I certainly hope they are -- and have it in their top priority list.

I personally feel certain doff missions should reward progress for the appropriate star cluster. Obviously not the 15 minute ones, but certain ones should be flagged.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited July 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I believe it was Mr. Hamilton who said they were looking into ways to make those accolades achievable. And I certainly hope they are -- and have it in their top priority list.

I personally feel certain doff missions should reward progress for the appropriate star cluster. Obviously not the 15 minute ones, but certain ones should be flagged.

I believe that you're correct about the who.

I had suggested linking the Accolades to DOFFing as that will be the only thing we can do with the Clusters once the maps are gone.
    GrWzQke.png
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014

But I don't care. I still want to get them anyway.
  • t0xsick2t0xsick2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Your nipples don't do anything, lets rip those out too.
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    t0xsick2 wrote: »
    Your nipples don't do anything, lets rip those out too.

well yeah but you still would not miss em if you did
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    We're working on a way to make these accolades completable under the new system of star clusters. Anyone who has completed the accolades won't lose them.

I personally also like to occasionally offer rewards tied to accolades, such as the Risian duty officers, which could only be requisitioned if you completed enough summer accolades. I make no promises, but I think it would be interesting to have some kind of reward that you can only access by completing certain star cluster accolades, or groups of them.
    edited July 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    We're working on a way to make these accolades completable under the new system of star clusters. Anyone who has completed the accolades won't lose them.

I personally also like to occasionally offer rewards tied to accolades, such as the Risian duty officers, which could only be requisitioned if you completed enough summer accolades. I make no promises, but I think it would be interesting to have some kind of reward that you can only access by completing certain star cluster accolades, or groups of them.

That is awesome. And much appreciated. :)
    GrWzQke.png
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2014

This made my day. Have some of my money, Cryptic.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I'm sure there is a ton of accoladers breathing a sigh of relief with confirmation their hard-earned work (exploration accolades) isn't going away.

Now let me ask you, is this system for those who have already started (like 1/70 visits) or will new players who yet to start the exploration clusters able to get these accolades?
    edited July 2014
    I'm sure there is a ton of accoladers breathing a sigh of relief with confirmation their hard-earned work (exploration accolades) isn't going away.

Now let me ask you, is this system for those who have already started (like 1/70 visits) or will new players who yet to start the exploration clusters able to get these accolades?

It'll almost definitely be available to everyone, I'm sure, otherwise they'd just discontinue the Accolades.
    GrWzQke.png
  • daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    they haven't been procedural generating since the third month of launch.

they turned off the genesis engine after a while. the same maps have been circulating for a while.

they'd have been better off revamping the genesis engine to allow for truly procedural generated maps and have them deleted after mission is completed for ease of space.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It'll almost definitely be available to everyone, I'm sure, otherwise they'd just discontinue the Accolades.

It's the "almost" that requires a more official answer.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    I think Cryptic plans on replacing exploration with something else, although they have not officially announced anything yet. They've dropped a hint or two about replacing that aspect of the game, and it has been suggested that the upcoming expansion will revolve around exploration.

This is annoying. This isn't directed at you but at Cryptic's line of thought.

So, they have a "plan" on replacing Exploration with something else but have nothing to show for it. Instead of leaving the Exploration missions / clusters in place UNTIL they finish making it, they're just removing the current system in favor of simple DOFF missions?

Instead of improving Exploration missions, they're just removing them?

Exploration has received far less attention and fixes than most of this game. Matter of fact, Exploration ranks there with PVP as one of the most neglected aspects of STO by Cryptic.

Some fixes are needed (NPCs spawning inside buildings with no entrances / exits, thereby killing the mission). Some fine tuning needed (We're searching for ancient artifacts of the 3rd Borg Dynasty???). But outright complete removal to be reduced to mere DOFF missions is laughable.

Exploration cluster missions are the ONLY dynamic mission generation in STO. Everything else is static and you know exactly what to face (regular PVE quests/story arcs, STFs, Battlezones, etc). Exploration is the only thing in the game where you can go into the anomaly and maybe go into space combat, maybe do a bit of ground pound, maybe scan a few things on the ground. Even Foundry missions are fixed in nature. I really think more could be done with the missions and how they're generated.

But removing it outright before actually putting in an equal or better replacement is just wrong.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    they haven't been procedural generating since the third month of launch.

they turned off the genesis engine after a while. the same maps have been circulating for a while.

they'd have been better off revamping the genesis engine to allow for truly procedural generated maps and have them deleted after mission is completed for ease of space.

I say revamp the Genesis to make maps on the server side not on the main server. Then add it code that makes the main server transfer maps from the Genesis server to the client only when required then update Genesis to be more procedural with a lot more parameters.

Setup sector space edges so if someone wants to do exploration stay close to chartered sector space and let people get resources. If someone wants to explore then can go further but they won't have easy access to starbases (maybe derelict starbases thats ready for salvaging) or maybe even alien starbases(unknown races) . Disable transwarp jumps.
    edited July 2014

Thank you very much for the clarification, sets my mind at ease knowing the accolades will still be available to get and I don't have to overtax myself on more grind between now and the upcoming season. Doffs sound good and would add an extra incentive for completing content. Support.

Cheers :)
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2014

You could possibly tie them to the existing Cluster DOff chains, I'd think.
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited July 2014
    To explore strange new.....oh wait without explore lol
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Doesnt "the end of exploration" require that there ever was one in the first place?
    edited July 2014
    It's the "almost" that requires a more official answer.

I only say "almost" because of the possibility that they aren't able to implement it. If they do, everyone will get it. Wouldn't make sense to put the efforf into making it work and then only allow it for players that had started the Accolades before the change.
    GrWzQke.png
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Make them true way(these guys are also in the outdated content area since they are about as deadly as a shuttle with no power) bases to raid lol :D All bajorans get double damage against them as a joke lol :P
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hypl wrote: »

What Hints (please share) ? All I've heard so far is "We'll want to rectify ..." aka :

http://www.imediaconnection.com/images/content/image1.jpg

only real "Hint" or better to say "Leak" about Expansion 2, i know of ... are some Audio Samples, which imply we're going to shoot a lot of DQ - Species ... doesn't scream "Exploration" for me ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Not sure they have anyone on staff who can actually do that, and then there's the whole issue of the genesis system not being something they created. I know that DStahl worked on it back in alpha. But the way he talked about it, it seemed like the people who could really revamp it haven't worked at the company in years. And that was a couple years ago at that.

Now I could be way off here. It's just going off what I see them doing with their updates and actual work they put out, it seems like they have devs that really don't mess with older code and older systems. Which in the long run is probably a good thing as they've had a long history of breaking things and not fixing them well due to their QA process and patching process.

What I guess I'm saying is, it seems like the genesis sytem will be quarantined, or placed safely in a corner where no one will have to touch it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Read through the link provided, OP, but didn't quite see the part that you claim to be "unsettling." Can you please go into more detail so everyone here can have a greater picture as to what, the OP, you, in this case, and any others who may not be the OP but also interested, I assume, are troubled about?

The OP was pretty clear, they are worried about the removal of the exploration clusters cutting off access to specific accolades that can only be attained by doing exploration missions in those clusters.

Here's a list of those affected, from STO Wiki.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Anyone who has completed the accolades won't lose them.

That's good to hear. Thanks for the Information.
This discussion has been closed.