test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is the point with the Risa event?

uss917019uss917019 Member Posts: 182 Arc User
Like the title says, why should we be working hard just to get cool prizes that are by the way overpriced i would say and could take up couple of weeks to get it. Now the Risa event should be some R&R you sit at the beach and releax. The activities during the time are fine but the way that makes it boring is the credits you get after that and you use it to buy stuff.

The thing is after youve collected all the points to get the item you always wanted there is no point to do more stuff and it gets even more boring with all that hard work. And when the summer vacation is over you go back to work and I am pretty sure that Cryptic has something very big planned for this years event. (Meaning there will be new stuff to do or something like a new featured episode).

Now this is my opinion of the event. I still like the event and the way you can explore with the jet pack and all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by uss917019 on

Comments

• Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Pretty funny when a place like Risa is associated with hard work. :P
  • Options
    realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    uss917019 wrote: »
    Like the title says, why should we be working hard just to get cool prizes that are by the way overpriced i would say and could take up couple of weeks to get it. Now the Risa event should be some R&R you sit at the beach and releax. The activities during the time are fine but the way that makes it boring is the credits you get after that and you use it to buy stuff.

The thing is after youve collected all the points to get the item you always wanted there is no point to do more stuff and it gets even more boring with all that hard work. And when the summer vacation is over you go back to work and I am pretty sure that Cryptic has something very big planned for this years event. (Meaning there will be new stuff to do or something like a new featured episode).

Now this is my opinion of the event. I still like the event and the way you can explore with the jet pack and all.

Suggest you consider moving on to something else, I did. I'll putter around RISA for a few days next summer when it comes around....
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Its not just this event. Seems like all of them are boring waste of resourses to me. I went over to risa saw the first npc. Clicked on a few of them saw the grinding for TRIBBLE and just left. I don't know how much longer i can take this game anymore. Everything they put in the game is grind now.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Think of it this way: If there was nothing to do on Risa, why would anyone go there?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sonnikku wrote: »

It's funny at first. Then you notice people using the terms work, hard, effort more and more. Then it's no longer funny. Not because any of it is work or requires effort, but because of the realization that's the kind of players that you're surrounded by...they need to reach for the oxygen mask after logging in cause it was just so much work...
  • Options
    kirkepsilon1kirkepsilon1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Like the title says, why should we be working hard just to get cool prizes that are by the way overpriced i would say and could take up couple of weeks to get it. Now the Risa event should be some R&R you sit at the beach and releax. The activities during the time are fine but the way that makes it boring is the credits you get after that and you use it to buy stuff .

I couldn't agree more with you I did the summer event for a couple of days then I got bored since the level of 'hard work' to get yet another currency to buy items like the bikinis doesn't feel like fun nor relaxing in my opinion.

Someone seems to think that large amounts of boredom coupled with giant amounts of grind for overpriced items is engaging and fun to the players apparently? :P lol Along with taking away players choices when it comes to wearing said clothing outside of Risa and no explanation as to why that is so am glad we practice some freedom choice right??? :confused: lol This kind of thinking is a recurring theme in STO in the doff system,reputation system etc. Which explains why I know so many people who either don't do those things or started them and then they gave up when they realized they had to climb a mountain for them lol.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2014
    It's only work if you choose to play it that way.

I logged in, did the events for a few days. They were fun, I had no need of any of the rewards so when I was done with my fun I left. I log in now to do the floater course, which is easy and quick and feels not at all like work, to get the ship and then I go play the rest of the game, which after all is still available during the event.

You are not forced to go there every day and do things, if you choose to feel forced, well then it's going to feel like work.

To me, if something is easy and/or fun, it isn't a grind.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What is Risa? What is every event, weekend or new content update?

It's optional.

Avoid the place all together and tada! No grind, no boredom! Simple as that.
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The problem with this game is at max lvl there's nothing fun to do. Its all grind and more grind. It used to be people played games to have fun. Getting to max lvl here is a punishment not a reward. Most people only login to the game in the hope when something new comes out it will be good. FE are most anyone log's in for now and when its done go play something else. If this game didn't have a f2p option it would be dead. Most people would not pay monthly for this.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    When it started, I played a few hours there on 2 of my toons, got a board, floater for my newish one, and got them both bikinis. It was just a few hours a day, but it was fun. Now, I just pop on with one of them if a tinme comes round and I'm between things. It's meant to be a holiday. You are not supposed to sit there for months on end doing it, it is a bit of a distraction from the main part of the game.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    kirkepsilon1kirkepsilon1 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    What is Risa? What is every event, weekend or new content update?

It's optional.

Avoid the place all together and tada! No grind, no boredom! Simple as that.

I applaud that mentality lets not try and address the reasons why some people avoid these things lets just pretend there fine. Yeah thats why pvp is doing so well because people like me and many others avoid it for other reasons which would take too long to list but the thinking is kind of the same :).

When some of us say hard work most us aren't meaning in the literal sense hard work but more on the mental side of things for example when I got tier 5 on the omega rep just because it took me god knows how much time didn't make me appreciate nor enjoy the stuff I had unlocked anymore or less. Don't mind a bit of grind but balance in relation to resources and time invested would be nice :rolleyes:.

However much of anything that is said here is pretty mute because as long as money is being made that will always talk louder than we can :( lol.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    When some of us say hard work most us aren't meaning in the literal sense hard work but more on the mental side of things for example when I got tier 5 on the omega rep just because it took me god knows how much time didn't make me appreciate nor enjoy the stuff I had unlocked anymore or less. Don't mind a bit of grind but balance in relation to resources and time invested would be nice :rolleyes:.

So it's just a patience thing? 5 minutes or so a day...but because it's going to be near 30 days of that 5 minutes a day...it's a horrible experience?

Used to be 30+ minutes a day...no daily bonus boxes, required commodities that had to be farmed as well, there were no sponsorship tokens for alts...the Borg hadn't been nerfed, didn't have as much power creep - etc, etc, etc.

Or is that what you were complaining about, rather than the 5 minute joke that it is now? You can T5 all five Reps in about the same time it would have taken to T5 just a single Rep in the past.

So I guess it needs to be clear - whether you were complaining about how it was or how it is, eh?

Even then though, it was optional - stuff wanted, not stuff needed. If somebody didn't want to do it, they didn't have to do it.

So you can perhaps see where some would /facepalm various complaints that come off as a lack of patience, desire for instant gratification, and all the rest that comes with it...and could perhaps see where one would ask, "Well, if you weren't doing those - what would you be doing? And if there is something that you would be doing, is doing those preventing you from doing that? So what is the problem?" - with it going back to the lack of patience and the desire for near instant gratification.

There's the...

Got a way to go.
    Getting closer.
    Almost there.

...mindset. And there's the...

Waaaaaaaaah.

...mindset.

Perhaps it gets applied unfairly to folks that aren't saying that in the least, but with so many folks that come right out and say that - it's difficult at times to distinguish it when they're saying the same thing.
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Its because we grew up playing video games for fun. When we were all kids as soon as we got off the school bus we came in, pulled off our shoes, grabbed something to eat and sat back and really enjoyed playing a game. Video games today are not interested in letting its players have fun. All they care about is making money. Even ingame places that are designed for players to relax in and have fun, secretly have money making strategys attached to them. If the Sto devs would just relize that making a really fun game FIRST and worrying about the money making part second, we could have a really good game. Plus in the Long run cryptic would make more money. Focus on the game first, the money will follow. Yet what we get is at every turn cryptic trying to pry money out of our wallets. I would go as far to say that. If the devs had 8 weeks to make new content for sto, they would spend 6 weeks of it trying to figure out a way to monotize it. Where, if they would just spend the 8 weeks making good fun content, the money would come anyways.
    Thats why the Risa fun burns out quickly. Everything is linked to something that buys something. The days of good old fashioned fun in video games is history. I do believe the F2P model is on its last legs tho. Cause by the time everyone gets burned by a F2P game they wont never try another. Forceing game companys to go back to the good old ways of making games. Burn me once shame on you, burn me 2x shame on me. I don't see it lasting no longer than 5 more years. The ones that do make it. Will be the browser nickle and dime games. Cause the 50 dollor zen games will either break ppl or ppl will learn. You guys see it coming. Might be the reason we see STO throwing everything at us but the kitchen sink. Trying to cash in before it goes belly up. Just think about it. Give it some deep thought. It does make sense. We see it every month.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I applaud that mentality

Why thank you sir, I try to be positive where I can.
    lets not try and address the reasons why some people avoid these things lets just pretend there fine. Yeah thats why pvp is doing so well because people like me and many others avoid it for other reasons which would take too long to list but the thinking is kind of the same :).

What reasons? Plenty of people enjoyed the event. And my comment stands, if you don't like it you don't have to play it. Where do you get this idea that everyone must love everything?

Some crazy people actually enjoy the PvP too, even in it's current state. I personally have never done it outside a few arena matches and Ker'rat but it can be a laugh if you don't take it seriously. Regardless the equipment requirements are too high, and certain members of the community can take the competitive banter a bit too far.

You didn't have to grind for the gear in the first place, that's my point. It's all optional. It really is, you can comfortably compete in the endgame with blue MK XI gear across the board. Better gear is just icing on the cake far as I'm concerned. If you feel it's time wasted that's down to you.
    However much of anything that is said here is pretty mute because as long as money is being made that will always talk louder than we can :( lol.

And you hit the nail on the head friend. STO is a F2P MMO and like it or not, it is what it is. No amount of whining, raging or begging on a forum is going to change that.

Just accept it, pick and choose what to play and how often, and you'll have more fun as a result.
  • Options
    sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i love it. i have fun surfing and doing crazy stuff in between PvPs
    as you can see in my Summer Special
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x4c8S3Zk5c

if you're going there to grind then it's no fun no matter what you do.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    Its because we grew up playing video games for fun.

Zork? Wizardry? Ultima? Elite? Bard's Tale? Autoduel? Pool of Radiance? Wasteland? King's Quest? Space Quest? Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? Oregon Trail? Gunship? And well, the list could go on and on and on...
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To be honest if you think anything in this game requires hard work..... well all I can say is you don't know what hard work is and it will be a shock to you if you ever have to do anything in life that requires real hard work....
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The thing is after youve collected all the points to get the item you always wanted there is no point to do more stuff and it gets even more boring with all that hard work. ....

This sounds like the fable of the Grasshopper and the Ant... I'm looking forward for next year's Risa Science Ship...
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sonnikku wrote: »

Risa is not funny. Not when all the events are pure TRIBBLE. Period. And it takes hard "work" to get almost anything valuable there. Because when the fun is lost, the only thing that left is work.

I love Risa, it is a great all around map, with really nice graphics. But thats all. Anything else about Risa is well, laughable.

And all this just because the prices of everything are over expensive and some events are just a waste of time because they reward a ridiculous ammount of flavors. Just due to that little 2 details.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Take your time and don't turn it into a grind. You don't necessarily need everything offered, on every character you've rolled up.

Miss something this year, odds are that it will be in the event next summer.

Just enjoy the fact that it's something a little different from the usual blowing TRIBBLE up all of the time. Even a warhorse player (like me, for example) needs a break on occasion. That's why I, myself, enjoy the summer event.

That, and the NPCs are far more quiet than they are in the Winter Wonderland. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    sharxtreme wrote: »
    i love it. i have fun surfing and doing crazy stuff in between PvPs
    as you can see in my Summer Special
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x4c8S3Zk5c

if you're going there to grind then it's no fun no matter what you do.

If you are able to have fun doing that.. well, you should grab a rock and launch it in the air, that will be enough for you.. lol. ANd i suposse you are using standard hoverboards / floaters, because if not, you already had to grind for em..

And so you know, out of the summer event, Risa was almost always empty. Maybe you and a couple of guys more were the only ones doing something in Risa all these years. Because no matter what you say, nobody likes to go somewhere to DO NOTHING useful. Specailly in STO. Thats the reason prices of everything are just ridiculous. You are not going to use em after the event is over, even if you do so, a LOT of people wont.

The fault is cryptics. They dont have imagination or creativity. They could do some mini-daily missions on Risa , for example. I dont care if they reward dilithium, or anything else, even EC. But at least, that will be something to waste time on Risa for. But after the event, i will probably never visit Risa again, because it is a waste of time. LOL, it is a waste of time now.. imagine after the event is over.. :P
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So it's just a patience thing? 5 minutes or so a day...but because it's going to be near 30 days of that 5 minutes a day...it's a horrible experience?

Used to be 30+ minutes a day...no daily bonus boxes, required commodities that had to be farmed as well, there were no sponsorship tokens for alts...the Borg hadn't been nerfed, didn't have as much power creep - etc, etc, etc.

Or is that what you were complaining about, rather than the 5 minute joke that it is now? You can T5 all five Reps in about the same time it would have taken to T5 just a single Rep in the past.

So I guess it needs to be clear - whether you were complaining about how it was or how it is, eh?

Even then though, it was optional - stuff wanted, not stuff needed. If somebody didn't want to do it, they didn't have to do it.

So you can perhaps see where some would /facepalm various complaints that come off as a lack of patience, desire for instant gratification, and all the rest that comes with it...and could perhaps see where one would ask, "Well, if you weren't doing those - what would you be doing? And if there is something that you would be doing, is doing those preventing you from doing that? So what is the problem?" - with it going back to the lack of patience and the desire for near instant gratification.

There's the...

Got a way to go.
    Getting closer.
    Almost there.

...mindset. And there's the...

Waaaaaaaaah.

...mindset.

Perhaps it gets applied unfairly to folks that aren't saying that in the least, but with so many folks that come right out and say that - it's difficult at times to distinguish it when they're saying the same thing.

When did cryptic address power creep?? Oh, yeah when they introduced the New Fleet escort and Undine Nicor. They made all escorts before them obsolete. Thats one way of killing power creep. Your right, carry on.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    hyefather wrote: »
    When did cryptic address power creep?? Oh, yeah when they introduced the New Fleet escort and Undine Nicor. They made all escorts before them obsolete. Thats one way of killing power creep. Your right, carry on.

If you were to have taken a deep breath, stopped your hissyfit for a second, you might have seen where I was saying that the power creep has made it even easier...that I said nothing in the least about Cryptic doing anything about power creep. But carry on with your...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Take your time and don't turn it into a grind. You don't necessarily need everything offered, on every character you've rolled up.

Miss something this year, odds are that it will be in the event next summer.

Just enjoy the fact that it's something a little different from the usual blowing TRIBBLE up all of the time. Even a warhorse player (like me, for example) needs a break on occasion. That's why I, myself, enjoy the summer event.

That, and the NPCs are far more quiet than they are in the Winter Wonderland. ;)

Dude, i only waste about 10 minutes (sometimes 20+ if i do a couple of runs of the horgan hunt) a day. And i am sick of it already. And i only gathered enough favors to buy 4 decent swimsuits for 4 of my 6 female characters. I want to buy the flowers scent costume addon as well. Just for those 2 things i am grinding every day. I dont want hoverboards, enchaned floaters or watever. If you want something, the problem is that you need to grind for it, badly. And should not be the case.

Some people will like it, of course, but thats doesnt change that this event is a real fail everywhere.
    It is not fun for most of the people (mostly because of the expensive prices) and its just another way to grind, even if the map is beautiful.. :P

In the end is the same usual blowing TRIBBLE all of the time, just even worst. Because when you grind for something out of Risa, you know at least you are going to be able to use it everywhere.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    If you want something, the problem is that you need to grind for it, badly. And should not be the case.

How exactly is that a problem and why should it not be the case? Cause we're talking "wants" not "needs"...it would be one thing if it was a need.
  • Options
    starwheelerstarwheeler Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Suggest you consider moving on to something else, I did. I'll putter around RISA for a few days next summer when it comes around....

exacly more and more work criptic keep us busy!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    How exactly is that a problem and why should it not be the case? Cause we're talking "wants" not "needs"...it would be one thing if it was a need.

Ow, you didnt read anything at all in the previous posts? lol.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Ow, you didnt read anything at all in the previous posts? lol.

It was a rhetorical question...more of a statement...trying to stay on this line of mod intervention while painfully laughing at folks.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It was a rhetorical question...more of a statement...trying to stay on this line of mod intervention while painfully laughing at folks.

Ic, i guess my mistake, then. The thing is, in STO everything you grind for is a "want". You can play the game even with mkI equpment. And of course i dont need swimsuits or more costume addons, but i want em. The same way i wanted the frosted boots from the winter event. With the difference, frosted boots were not so expensive and i can use it everywhere. And the frosted boots are far more valuable item that anything sold on Risa. This is just a little example. I really think "this time" cryptic really didnt think at all when creating the Risa event.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jarfaru wrote: »
    The problem with this game is at max lvl there's nothing fun to do. Its all grind and more grind. It used to be people played games to have fun. Getting to max lvl here is a punishment not a reward. Most people only login to the game in the hope when something new comes out it will be good. FE are most anyone log's in for now and when its done go play something else. If this game didn't have a f2p option it would be dead. Most people would not pay monthly for this.

you have four choices.
    1. turn off STO and go do something else
    2. go into the foundry and start making things for max levels to do.
    3. Suck it up
    4. which is apparently the path you have chosen, sit and whine like a little b*tch
    Spock.jpg