test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thinking about coming back

blunted74blunted74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hello,

I used to play about a year ago, and had a LVL 50 KDF science officer, however, stopped playing because of multiple reasons such as broken pvp, science getting the shaft, KDF getting the shaft.

Seems like a lot has happened over the last year and crafting if getting revamped, and was wondering if the game is in a much better state? Does science still suck? Does KDF still get the shaft?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.
Post edited by blunted74 on

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Log in for a few days and try out the Sphere of Influence, A Step Between Stars, and Surface Tension missions. Since the game is F2P, then you can play and leave the game without regret. We can give our opinions about the game, but only you can decide to stay.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Broken PvP - Still broken, hasn't been touched since you left but the power creep has increased.

Science getting the shaft - still shafted and even moreso by the Sensor Analysis 'improvement'

KDF getting the shaft - still the same, the Iconians even killed off some Klingons at the end of Surface Tension. :P
  • blunted74blunted74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I downloaded the client and logged in. Shortly after I realized all my credits were gone. I checked all my characters, account bank and they were nowhere to be found. Logged a ticket, but not optimistic.

Oh well, guess that decides that, LOL.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Broken PvP - Still broken, hasn't been touched since you left but the power creep has increased.

Science getting the shaft - still shafted and even moreso by the Sensor Analysis 'improvement'

KDF getting the shaft - still the same, the Iconians even killed off some Klingons at the end of Surface Tension. :P

hammer nail head
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Log in for a few days and try out the Sphere of Influence, A Step Between Stars, and Surface Tension missions. Since the game is F2P, then you can play and leave the game without regret. We can give our opinions about the game, but only you can decide to stay.

This^^^^

Don't listen to all the distgruntled forumites.
  • pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think he just decided. :D
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think he just decided. :D

Honestly if you're going to consult any video game forum for advice on whether or not to return to a game, you've already made up your mind before you even started typing.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited June 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Honestly if you're going to consult any video game forum for advice on whether or not to return to a game, you've already made up your mind before you even started typing.

maybe some would just like opinions like some want when buying new stuff they go look at dang what them things called..................
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • michaelp1989michaelp1989 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    blunted74 wrote: »
    Does KDF still get the shaft?
    Thank you.

Yes KDF is still neglected/shafted.
    Just look at Peregrine Falcon's KDF history with cryptic, that should tell you about KDF status.

Still waiting for good true sci kdf ship, long promised Negh'var refit and fleet Guramba.

Mogh is nice but it's copy pasted from fed avenger.

PVP is in even worse state than KDF imo. :(

That's why I stopped playing about two months ago.
    I lost all hope for new KDF and pvp content, they simply don't care so no reason for me to play till something new for KDF is released.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2014
    Unbiased third parties with no personal agendas who will respond honestly?

Like taking a used car to a professional mechanic instead of listening to the guy selling the car, or to some knucklehead friend/relative that thinks he knows all about cars because he can change the oil or spark plugs. :rolleyes:

oh ya and ppl that praise this game is going to respond honestly :P

ya right............................

like asking a cryptic fanboy is sto a good game yes best game i ever played im my life while they dont tell you this the game is a farmville facebook game with a star trek skin

season 9 are best season yet 8472 lockbox are best box yet........................

OP came here looking for opinions he got them from both side cryptic fanboys and haters ;)

oh then this
    I downloaded the client and logged in. Shortly after I realized all my credits were gone. I checked all my characters, account bank and they were nowhere to be found. Logged a ticket, but not optimistic.

cryptic best game developer yet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited June 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    oh then this
    cryptic best game developer yet

We have no idea what happened. The OP could have gave all his assets away due to them leaving the game, thinking they would never come back, and forgot that they gave away everything or their account was TRIBBLE and had all their assets stolen. If you haven't logged in for months, then no one is able to know when their assets are stolen. It could have been stolen a week after he left or a few days ago. Thinking it is Cryptic is automatically at fault is incredibly short sighted when there are far more likely scenarios that have nothing to do with Cryptic.
    edited June 2014
    We have no idea what happened. The OP could have gave all his assets away due to them leaving the game, thinking they would never come back, and forgot that they gave away everything or their account was TRIBBLE and had all their assets stolen. If you haven't logged in for months, then no one is able to know when their assets are stolen. It could have been stolen a week after he left or a few days ago. Thinking it is Cryptic is automatically at fault is incredibly short sighted when there are far more likely scenarios that have nothing to do with Cryptic.

ive seen this bug posted before other lost everything after patch a before in this game................

and not saying any of them excuses cant happen but ive seen this before

but plz keep up the good work for cryptic :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hello,

I used to play about a year ago, and had a LVL 50 KDF science officer, however, stopped playing because of multiple reasons such as broken pvp, science getting the shaft, KDF getting the shaft.

Seems like a lot has happened over the last year and crafting if getting revamped, and was wondering if the game is in a much better state? Does science still suck? Does KDF still get the shaft?

Thank you.

PvP = still there... and things have gotten more powerful. Oh, and they nerfed some of the rewards.

Science = still science-y... oh, but many folks carry Eng/Sci Team now that the Team cooldowns were separated; many of your status effects now have counters available where Tac Team used to lock out those counters. Still, it makes way more sense than your crew standing around changing to different colored shirts every time you wanted to use a different Team skill. Ground Kits now allow you to slot abilities as you will (Electro-Gravitic Field, Exothermic Induction Field, Hypersonic Radiation, Nanite Health Monitor and Triage for example), but overall Space is pretty much the same.

KDF = were you here for LoR? If so you saw the best KDF-centered work I've seen in my time with STO take second stage. The KDF did get the Mogh Battle Cruiser w/ Fleet version and Dyson Science Destroyer w/ 3-Pack versions, though without spending Lobi you will never get the base version or access to the full set bonus or set piece options for the Solanae Advanced Technologies or Solanae Hybrid Technologies sets.

Crafting = currently a Work In Progress, though the early release of its alpha version created a bit of a firestorm due to certain aspects of the design. For that, patch Tribble and form your own opinions about the direction it's going and whether it's something you do/don't enjoy.

You sure you didn't donate those EC's to your Fleet or a friend that still played? I know before I took my hiatus I liquidated a bunch to my Fed and KDF Fleets before I wandered off. I still had decent enough toys when I came back, though some stuff had changed and that kept me busy. Now it's back to wandering.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited June 2014

if you havent played for over a year everything you had was junk anyway..
    everything is new.

its best to start over anyway. that way you can build you char up to new specs.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,713 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    snip

Oh yeah, ^this guy is totally not biased. :rolleyes:

I'm just glad that I never decided to visit these forums before I started playing STO or allow the opinions of others to influence whether I decide to play, stay, or go.

To play or not to play? That is the question... each player should ask themselves not others (and certainly not here), because the value in the game is only relevant and relative to the individual.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    edited June 2014
    Oh yeah, ^this guy is totally not biased. :rolleyes:

I'm just glad that I never decided to visit these forums before I started playing STO or allow the opinions of others to influence whether I decide to play, stay, or go.

To play or not to play? That is the question... each player should ask themselves not others (and certainly not here), because the value in the game is only relevant and relative to the individual.

and some dont care for farmville facebook game and that is sto in a nutshell
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited June 2014
    and some dont care for farmville facebook game and that is sto in a nutshell

And that is your opinion, which you are indeed entitled to. But if you don't care for it, then why are you here?
    GrWzQke.png
    edited June 2014
    And that is your opinion, which you are indeed entitled to. But if you don't care for it, then why are you here?

to much money invested in game to walk away and i think its more fact than my opinion

tell me how this game differs from farmville other than it being a space game every day you see not only me calling it that but lots of other if you really look ;)

go to ESD and ask do they think so see how many agree :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    to much money invested in game to walk away and i think its more fact than my opinion

that is something you should get checked. it is very much an opinion, a common one perhaps, but an opinion none the less.

and no people agreeing with you doesn't make it a fact or the world would be flat and center of the universe.

and yes, me thinking otherwise is also not a fact.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    edited June 2014

tell me how this game differs from farmville other than it being a space game every day you see not only me calling it that but lots of other if you really look ;)

Simple. Nothing is forcing you to pay for anything in this game. Any content is completable with white Mk X equipment except for NWS for obvious reasons. Now if Cryptic started charging 100,000 dilithium to do STFs and similar content, then the comparison to Farmville would be appropriate. SWTOR is far more appropriate for the Farmville comparison due to their lousy F2P system.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014

Science works fine, just ask my victims.

If you:
    1) Don't use your sci console slots for science stuff
    2) If you build thinking about DPS only
    3) If you don't go as overboard with sci as people go with DPS builds

Then yes, your sci build probably sucks.
    edited June 2014

Again, you are entitled to you opinion. And those "lots of others" are entitled to their opinions as well. And again, they are just that: opinions. Just because you might be able to produce numbers of people saying the same thing that you are, doesn't mean that what you're saying is fact. The only fact that you could provide is that many people might share the same opinion.

And please do not bring up ESD chat as your evidence of proof of anything. The amount of fury and vitriol spewed there on any given topic, on any given day, is enough to turn any decent person's stomach.
    GrWzQke.png
    edited June 2014
    Simple. Nothing is forcing you to pay for anything in this game. Any content is completable with white Mk X equipment except for NWS for obvious reasons. Now if Cryptic started charging 100,000 dilithium to do STFs and similar content, then the comparison to Farmville would be appropriate. SWTOR is far more appropriate for the Farmville comparison due to their lousy F2P system.

plz save it! yes no one making spend money i did years ago some thinking i still am lmao ya i stop giving this game money long time ago point is i have money invested more than 10$.................. so till game gets off its farmville track forums is my home :)

if yall dont like my post best thing to do not reply to me ;) but thats hard for some
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    plz save it! yes no one making spend money i did years ago some thinking i still am lmao ya i stop giving this game money long time ago point is i have money invested more than 10$.................. so till game gets off its farmville track forums is my home :)

if yall dont like my post best thing to do not reply to me ;) but thats hard for some

At this rate, I think it's easy to just label you a bored forum troll and call it a day.

Buh-bye now.
    edited June 2014
    At this rate, I think it's easy to just label you a bored forum troll and call it a day.

Buh-bye now.

thank you that makes me feel special :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hello,

Thank you.

this question will receive very objective answers, what I might like you might hate and vice versa.
    for example many players hate the dyson sphere stuff and mock the fact that we have dinosaurs with lasers while I and many others think it great and think going up against the end of game t-rex is awesome.
    you would be better off giving the game a try and see if you like where its at now.
    if you like it stay if not go and play something else for a bit and come and give it a go after the next update or after the next expansion.
    sure ask about the recent changes that is fine but only you can deside if you like the game.
    personally I like the game fine or I would not play it every day as I do but you could have a totally opposite view.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hello,

Thank you.

pvp is even more borked since the recent FE. you will understand why when you complete it.

crafting is a question but the information coming out is that the new crafting system is even worse, but i can not answer this for you.

game has leaned heavily towards grinding the past half a year.

science is still science, nothing has changed.

kdf has been looked into on some of the storyline stuff, a number of new kdf ships, so really dunno what you mean about kdf being shafted.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited June 2014

I had followed the advice above and logged in. First thing I noticed was that my 35-40 million credits were gone. across all of my characters, account bank, I have absolutely 0 credits.

I contacted support, and as expected, they just shirked me off with the quick "oh, it's because you're not gold any more".

If I am not gold any more, should I not still have at least 10 million? Can I not see what I have in escrow?
    edited June 2014

I cant believe how much this thread blew up.

SOrry, but you're really stretching here. I absolutely did not give anything away. A.) I didn't really know anyone in this game. I never had anybody on my friend's list or anything. B.) At the risk of sounding like a selfish jerk, I would never never never give my stuff away. I have been playing MMO's for the better part of 14 years and know there is a good chance I might come back.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Seems like a lot has happened over the last year and crafting if getting revamped, and was wondering if the game is in a much better state? Does science still suck? Does KDF still get the shaft?.
    You say "about a year ago" so I guess that was around Legacy of Romulus.

Romulans are still stupidly OP. There hasnt been any serious effort at dialing them down or buffing the other factions, outside of KDF getting a damage buff to Nausicaan BOFFs.

Cryptic added a couple of new PVP queues for the old maps. One of them is for small craft combat, which never gets any action due to systemic problems with PVP and small craft. The other is unteamed arena, you join a random scramble team and go against the other team of randoms, so you no longer get steamrolled by premade teams (the team queue still exists separately). Cryptic didnt do any kind of weighted sorting on the teams so they are still lopsided often, where one team has 2 healers and the other has none.

Cryptic released a few more unbalanced ships. Most of the old-school faction ships with no uni stations are way behind the power curve.

Science is still weak on DPS but better if you spec for it. Sensor Analysis got changed and buffed. There is a science profession trait Preservation of Energy that lets you buff exotic damage. There are lockbox traits on the exchange that let you buff CC and such. Science is still very good in PVP if you can get your random scramble team into working together.

KDF still has a huge number of outstanding bugs, especially with ship models and the like. A couple of bugs got fixed. They got a new intro series at LOR launch but not much since then. KDF and Feds both were given a battle cruiser with basically the same stats. KDF and Feds and Roms were all given science destroyer hybrids that are also mostly identical.

Its still a single-player game at heart, where end-game content consists of grinding for more powerful gear to put on your lockbox ship, resulting in wildly unbalanced multiplayer content in the few maps that have it.