Tribble Maintenance and Release Notes - June 24, 2014

1235»

Comments

• Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    sci321 wrote: »
    [...] don't count.
    That's just your own opinion. And not the only one in this context - I would not argue against your complaint if it were a discussion of chemical reactions and/or among chemists - as long as the dictionary lists alternate definitions that don't contain being non-consumable as requirement.

Star Trek has called transient events such as wars, individual deaths and photon torpedo explosions, catalysts. While not necessarily consumed by the change they catalysed, they were gone when the change/phenomenon was still there.

Since we're here discussing "Making stuff up: 25th century edition" the name catalyst could easily be changed to something like continuum-transmogrifier, if you can convince the devs of your position.
  • Options
    sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    solemkof wrote: »
    That's just your own opinion. And not the only one in this context - I would not argue against your complaint if it were a discussion of chemical reactions and/or among chemists - as long as the dictionary lists alternate definitions that don't contain being non-consumable as requirement.

Star Trek has called transient events such as wars, individual deaths and photon torpedo explosions, catalysts. While not necessarily consumed by the change they catalysed, they were gone when the change/phenomenon was still there.

Since we're here discussing "Making stuff up: 25th century edition" the name catalyst could easily be changed to something like continuum-transmogrifier, if you can convince the devs of your position.

Since you obviously can't see my reasoning I'll make it clear. Spare parts don't count as catalysts because they would fall under the components being used to make the item.

On your example of the wars in Star Trek, I have NEVER heard anybody call the things going into the war effort catalysts, so, IMHO, that point is invalid unless you can name five instances of this and provide links to all of them.
  • Options
    sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Belay that chalenge. I just realized that when you said this:
    solemkof wrote: »
    Technology in Star Trek is overloading EPS-relais, burning out, blowing up, fusing, melting or otherwise suffering spectacularly catastrophic destruction every day. There can also be experimental construction procedures, such as a new replication technique creating better parts/devices that tends to overload standard replicators.
    Catalysts could be spare parts needed to replace all the stuff that's destroyed in these risky procedures. Without the spare parts, the crew has to play it safe and use riskless standard procedures resulting most of the time in standard (common quality) devices.

Consider the direction control elements of a beam array. They operate with a certain response time, limiting how fast the phaser beam can be pointed in different directions thus limiting the weapons accuracy in a combat situation. Due to unavoidable production tolerances, some elements can be operated with shorter response times (probably involving higher frequencies somewhere) thus increasing accuracy. However, testing an element for out-of-spec timings will destroy any that can't handle it.
    If you've got spare elements, you can test the ones you were going to use in your new array for their potential to handle shorter timings. When they blow up you can still use the spares and go with standard timings. And if you've got more than enough spares, you can keep testing them until you find some that can handle the shorter timings.

we weren't on the same page. You were talking about catalysts that items utilize when doing their job. I was talking about catalysts that go into the item's production.
  • Options
    nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Missed that counter command rifle fix the first read through. Thanks for the quick attention to that! :)
  • Options
    hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Not sure, I'm not working on them. I'll look into the answer for you.

Edit: But whenever they're available, they'll be craftable in the Science school.

Still waiting on an answer,

I mean you cant take the 5mins to turn around and ask Jerry in next cubicle how the development is coming along?
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • Options
    forgottenmythforgottenmyth Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hajmyis wrote: »
    Still waiting on an answer,

I mean you cant take the 5mins to turn around and ask Jerry in next cubicle how the development is coming along?

somehow i get the feeling its not THAT easy
  • Options
    hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    somehow i get the feeling its not THAT easy

here I am will make a script

Hawk: Hey jerry how is the 2nd sci del coming along

Jerry: the what?

hawk: the 2nd del we started 6 months ago

jerry: oh those, yeah i should start that

hawk: okay i will let the forums know they are coming along nicely
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "