test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I have to ask, the KDF dyson series.

f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Klingon Discussion
I got some good advice, for my new fed engineer, claiming I should go for the Avenger, But I am still holding off.

Here is the situation. I have 4 feds, 6 Roms, spread between the KDF and Fed, and 4 KDF.

Of course, I have one of each for each faction, tac, Eng, and Sci. the KDF side, I'm still working my Good ole Gorn up, along with an Orion team.

Now, I have always got the best advice from the KDF side, so pardon me if I'm playing favs here, And I am also still grinding Dil to turn into Zen each day. I average about 100-150 zen a day, and am resting at just over 5000.

Is it worth it, to Grab the Dyson set, for all sides, or should I just work towards one ship that works for each class (Sci,Tac, Eng.) for each race?

I'm not into the game for the scimitar for example, and while I love the look of some KDF Carriers, The only experience I have with a carrier type, is my sci Vesta, which I love.

What should I do. I'm a support player mostly, although, this last week, I have found a love for tanking, on my engineer (fed.) What do I look towards, on the kdf side, and would that big ole bundle suit me, or should I continue grinding, and micro manage my ship purchases.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and If you need more info, I would be happy to provide.

I'll be honest, I have a great back up in fed ships, and great friends there, But I have been finding KDF ships so much more fun to fly.
My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mondoidmondoid Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The science destroyers are iffy. If you think you can develop a play-style that works with them, then good luck. As for a support engineer I would go with the support cruiser retrofit (Ambassador class)(fleet version if you are in one) on the fed side, the mirror Negh'var for the KDF and the D'Deridex (Retrofit or fleet) for the Romulan faction. Each of these ships has 3 sci console slots and a LtCmdr sci station, Extremely useful for any build.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thank you sir, that was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. The Boff layouts are pretty much gold then for my builds.
  • Options
    catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited June 2014
    If you like support ships, you do need to try the Vo'quv or Mirror Vo'quv. Slow? Yes, but effective, especially if you mix in BoP pets with the Elite Scorpions or Orion Interceptors.

You also must get the Hegh'ta because everyone needs to have a BoP.

So, lvl 40... get the Hegh'ta, and then Mirror for the other stuff you might want to try.

Of course, with the Love Boat, do you need a Mirror Negh'var? :rolleyes:
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you like supportive playstyle and don't mind slow ships, the Vo'Quv / Mirror Vo'Quv is a good, total package.

It's a bonafide, 2-hangar carrier and not the single hangar ships that pretend to be a true carrier.

It has LtCdr at the very minimum across Sci, Tac, Eng. You can do quite a bit of different things with her.

It's also tough as nails.

It also has access not only to the Elite BOP hangar units, but also with the KDF's great stable of faction hangar units. KDF carriers can acquire hangar units to cover all playstyles for a Carrier that you can think of and swap them out before or during an instance when out of combat.

A Science or Engineer captain will be equally at home on a Vo'Quv.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thank you both for that idea, I really think I may just do that ,just for the change up. Looking at the stats, I can see a lot of potential fun with those ships.

Once again , thank you, I have always wanted to try a carrier anyways, and looking at what the KDF has, I must say, I am very impressed.

Also, Kudos to you all. I always get the best answers, here, and even in game from the KDF side of things. So strange, being I was always part of the blue plague with SFC in the old days.

You all help, to make my game.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The Dyson Science Destroyer can be both amazing at killing AND at helping your friends but it is best in the hands of a Science and Tactical Captain...

There is one big issue though... If you really want it to work well you need the anniversary ship's Secondary Deflector. The only way to get that now if you did not grab it then is to either wait until next year or pay 600 lobi to get it. (STUPID I know...) If you DO get it then I have a mean build for this thing that is scary regardless of which faction's Destroyer uses it. My fleet mate uses the fed version and it is still so deadly that even though he is not what you would call amazing at PvP (let alone PvE) he can still murder folks with it effortlessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq2fxZVLJ7M <-- There you go if you decide to use it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    The Dyson Science Destroyer can be both amazing at killing AND at helping your friends but it is best in the hands of a Science and Tactical Captain...

There is one big issue though... If you really want it to work well you need the anniversary ship's Secondary Deflector. The only way to get that now if you did not grab it then is to either wait until next year or pay 600 lobi to get it. (STUPID I know...) If you DO get it then I have a mean build for this thing that is scary regardless of which faction's Destroyer uses it. My fleet mate uses the fed version and it is still so deadly that even though he is not what you would call amazing at PvP (let alone PvE) he can still murder folks with it effortlessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq2fxZVLJ7M <-- There you go if you decide to use it.

Well, I have to say, that was one great video, which makes me want to keep the dilithium to zen grind going, just to have an end game ship across all factions.

That being said, I bought a a few Mirror Vo'quv tonight also, just to have to play with.

Once again, I am humbled with the direct, and honest responses here. If ever I can help you all, even though I am still leveling my KDF side, please send me a tell @f9thRet.

That video was great.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I do use the dyson destroyers on 2 characters. My Sci KDF officer and my Eng Rom. It can be a useful ship for any captain, but it's best use with a science captain.

Plus it is nice when you need that extra DPM to get those cannons going. But honestly, like others have said without the freebie you get, you don't get the secondary deflector nor the the XII warp drive which is 2 pieces missing from the set.

I'd just buy specific ships needed for each character.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    I do use the dyson destroyers on 2 characters. My Sci KDF officer and my Eng Rom. It can be a useful ship for any captain, but it's best use with a science captain.

Plus it is nice when you need that extra DPM to get those cannons going. But honestly, like others have said without the freebie you get, you don't get the secondary deflector nor the the XII warp drive which is 2 pieces missing from the set.

I'd just buy specific ships needed for each character.

A KDF Sci of mine (Joined Trill) still uses the DSD. I've gone back and forth quite a bit with either full Dyson or Solanae Set on it. But I've come to the opinion that the Dyson Set is just a better package overall for the DSD.

The setup I finalized was similar to the video another poster linked, as far as weapons, set, consoles go.

Anyways, with the Dyson set, it's more survivable (I concur 100% with the video poster's comments about the Dyson shields, set bonus for it, and how quickly it recovers), packs the punch of Proton Barrage (a 1.5 minute CD for a special ability when most others are at 2 minutes... it's also AOE and can strip buffs).

You still have Protonic Arsenal to buff up Proton damage, which is a separate entity from Dyson & Solanae Sets anyways.

In short, if you have the Dyson set, the lack of the Solanae Core isn't a big deal.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    ankokunekoankokuneko Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The dyson sci version is the best drain ship in the game due to its secondary deflector and 5 sci consoles. You can do a doffed tykens rift 3 and drain the whole opposing team in conjunction with aceton assimilators. In pve this means that elite tac cube has no shields and their beams become pea shooters
    jFriX.png
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Science destroyers are really only recommended for a Rommie or KDF toon and not even that in some situations. If you are a fed, dont waste money or resources on a dyson ship, its non sense. If you want a science ship (the dyson destroyers are just pure science ships with a little tactical support but most of the people never uses the tactical mode..) just get the Vesta , the Wells or any other one that is sure better than the dyson destroyer. Now, since KDF and rommies are more lacking on science ships (specially the rommies) it could be a good choice. But honestly, in the KDF side, a lot of ships are still better than the dysons even if they are not pure science ships. Come to my mind, of course the Vo'qu, the Karfi (any carrier, in fact) and im sure others.

Conclusion - Dysons are not worthy most of the times, unless you really have a perfect build / layout for em (and this is harder to achieve than it seems lol) , and probably only if you use the full antiproton set on em.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ankokuneko wrote: »
    The dyson sci version is the best drain ship in the game due to its secondary deflector and 5 sci consoles. You can do a doffed tykens rift 3 and drain the whole opposing team in conjunction with aceton assimilators. In pve this means that elite tac cube has no shields and their beams become pea shooters

You can do that with any version of the dyson ship. You dont need the survelliance variant to do that and you dont need 5 science console slots. And you can do that with any high end science ship. It doesnt need to be a dyson destroyer.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You can do that with any version of the dyson ship. You dont need the survelliance variant to do that and you dont need 5 science console slots. And you can do that with any high end science ship. It doesnt need to be a dyson destroyer.

you missed the point. With 5 sci modules you can stack modules that improve your tyken's rift. With 5 consoles you can stack it higher and make it more effective there by making it one of the best sci ships for this.

So sorry to say but you are actually wrong in this case
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    you missed the point. With 5 sci modules you can stack modules that improve your tyken's rift. With 5 consoles you can stack it higher and make it more effective there by making it one of the best sci ships for this.

So sorry to say but you are actually wrong in this case

Do you really think is so big the difference between 4 science consoles and 5? and you forget that high-end science ships already have 5 science console slots. Dude i have a few science builds with tyken's rift and gravity well builds. The secondary defelector is useful, but it is not something that will make the dyson destroyer a must-have, not by far lol. There are out there science ships more fited to do what you want, and they are not even dyson destroyers and they dont need secondary deflectors.
  • Options
    jaegernljaegernl Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Uhm, name me one other KDF science ship that isn't lockbox that does have 5 science console slots?
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Devotion Paladin
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Do you really think is so big the difference between 4 science consoles and 5? and you forget that high-end science ships already have 5 science console slots. Dude i have a few science builds with tyken's rift and gravity well builds. The secondary defelector is useful, but it is not something that will make the dyson destroyer a must-have, not by far lol. There are out there science ships more fited to do what you want, and they are not even dyson destroyers and they dont need secondary deflectors.

For draining actually this is a big deal, and since this is the only ship with a secondary deflector yes this is the best ship to drain, since these days people put points in power insulators every point of flowcaps matters
    jFriX.png
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i wont give advice on the ship to get because many have already put good examples here butt dont get the DSD its a TRIBBLE ship n u will soon just leave it mothballed.
    u have already got the vesta n it is the best sci ship in the game just wish rom n kdf had a counterpart for it.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    i wont give advice on the ship to get because many have already put good examples here butt dont get the DSD its a TRIBBLE ship n u will soon just leave it mothballed.
    u have already got the vesta n it is the best sci ship in the game just wish rom n kdf had a counterpart for it.

The vesta is indeed a good sci ship with excellent performance (the aux cannons are fantastic), but it looks horrible like most fed upside down flying spoons.
    jFriX.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The vesta is indeed a good sci ship with excellent performance (the aux cannons are fantastic), but it looks horrible like most fed upside down flying spoons.

The Vesta - pack is not a "good" science ship. It is the best science ship.. period. :P

And i do like the look, its not by far the worst looking federation ship out there. And with some visuals applied it looks amazing.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Vesta is first class all the way. The KDF carriers are very potent ships. They really are the best carriers in the game when used intelligently. Twitch style players just don't have the patience it takes to run a good carrier in a support role properly. But there will never be a better piano carrier in STO than the Vo'Quv or Mirror Vo'Quv
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The Vesta - pack is not a "good" science ship. It is the best science ship.. period. :P

And i do like the look, its not by far the worst looking federation ship out there. And with some visuals applied it looks amazing.

I believe the temporal science vessel and palisade are both better than the vesta. And one can argue that the karfi is a science vessel
    jFriX.png
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Maybe, but now you're moving into the realm of Funky Lockbox Ships. As far as purchasable, factional ships go, Besta is top-tier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jaegernl wrote: »
    Uhm, name me one other KDF science ship that isn't lockbox that does have 5 science console slots?

hell 4 console ships are even few and far between.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The karfi is an amazing carrier, but not much of a tank. It can do very high end dps and provides some science support as well. The VQ science carrier is solid but nothing special (there are several strong sci carriers, this is one of a crowd).

Now the science dyson ships... are OK. But the karfi is better damage for a ltcmdr sci ship if you wanted a hybrid dps capable platform. A BOP is a better all arounder, set up the officers any which way and better gun layout. I can't think of much the dyson ships bring to the kdf over a BOP or one of the carriers.

The dysons are best for romulans. Roms have almost no science ships, this is one of two choices and IMHO the dyson is the better. Which isnt saying a lot, but still. On top of this, having the dyson on multiple characters seems off.

So my advice is skip dyson on KDF.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Karfi tanks just fine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VokRja23hZ8

And jk, he said vesta was best sci ship period, which is not true
    jFriX.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I just wanted to say thanks for the advice here, and let ya know what I done so far..

I went ahead and went with just an Engineer Vesta on the Fed side, But did by the 3 pack Dyson for my Roms.

One or two vids here was really cool about explaining how to fly it , For the KDF, I think I will wind up with a carrier, once I ground out some more Zen. Although, I'll be getting the 500 soon, from the subscription. (Ooh, just realized, I'll be hitting my 299 day mark also.)

Thanks again all.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If you want to go Drain Builds, KDF Carriers have a huge advantage despite not having 5 SCI Consoles.

2 hangars of Siphon Drones.

On top of the usual Aceton Assimilator Console, ES, TR, etc. What holds the Kar'Fi, Vo'Quv, and even lockbox Recluse on a KDF toon back is not having 5 SCI Consoles for more Flow Capacitors Skill boost.

AFAIK, the KDF has no Vesta-style SCI Vessels with 5 SCI Console slots with a single-hangar. Not even the Temporal Science Vessel or DSD can boast that. If the KDF did?... man.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Karfi tanks just fine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VokRja23hZ8

And jk, he said vesta was best sci ship period, which is not true

that's like saying my norgh tanks fine. It does, with a sackfull of the best gear in the game vs not up to par mobs, but its still not really a tanky ship. You can tank anything with anything.... and the karfi is still a bit softer than most "cruisers" and other 2 bay carriers, and its noticeable.