What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What would you change

2»

Comments

• aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    I can't speak to numbers in game, none of us can, but I have noticed a steep decline in forum posts.

I have too. Just like I do this time every year. What makes this year's repeat significant, if I may ask?
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    In bold addressing this 1 at a time.

1. Yes to more 360 arrays, no to 360 torp turrets.
    2. No on dual cannons getting 90 deg arcs, and what dual torps are you talking about here?
    3. Just no.
    4. If that did happen, probably a c-store or lobi item.

Sorry don't really need bigger weapons.

Seems like you really dont like cannons and want more faw a2b online.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I play this game a lot coming from another online game I was playing a lot too up to level 52. I've enjoy STO a lot more and only play this game with all 3 fractions at level 50 each. Changes to this game could be to add more missions for level 50 players and use the planets in all these sectors you have for more than patrols as full mission but newer type.

Undine I though there was ground mission for it but just the space one. Voth and Bio-Dino missions are okay but can't take a full crew with you unless you use clones or holo crew.

Nimbus III, ground assault is entertaining at lease I can take a full crew down to the planet to help me out. Good targets to take out for some marks.

Demon Planet and Borg battles on the ground I don't do as much. I wish to see more Mirror Missions and the new threat coming hope there be more missions. Oh yes done some of the foundry missions also. I can't seem to get in the PVE or PVP queues

Hats off to the developers of STO... :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have too. Just like I do this time every year. What makes this year's repeat significant, if I may ask?

Nothing, yet.

And if it all picks up again then nothing then either.

Nothing is wrong, no players have been disappointed a few times in a row and we can all have faith that the IP is safe in Cryptic's hands.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Nothing, yet.

And if it all picks up again then nothing then either.

Nothing is wrong, no players have been disappointed a few times in a row and we can all have faith that the IP is safe in Cryptic's hands.
    You have been nothing but disappointed in STO for around 8 months on the forum now, yet you are still here. What makes you think others are any different then you; that they can be disappointed without leaving?

When you finally leave then I will give some credence to the idea that dissatisfaction is starting to add up and chase people away. Until then I will just assume people are like you: suffering but rogering on. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Oh, and most important of all. Add female gorn/Nausicaan/Letheans. Just as an option, they don't have to even have TRIBBLE, could be something else like different spot/ridge patterns.
    Regarding the Letheans and females, how do you know there were any in the first place?
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You have been nothing but disappointed in STO for around 8 months on the forum now, yet you are still here. What makes you think others are any different then you; that they can be disappointed without leaving?

When you finally leave then I will give some credence to the idea that dissatisfaction is starting to add up and chase people away. Until then I will just assume people are like you: suffering but rogering on. :)

Nice.

First off, i have praised Cryptic whenever I have felt they deserve it.

Casting me as merely a moaner is, of course, a neat rhetorical trick to discredit ones opponent. A lawyers trick, if memory serves.

I have been lavish with my praise for the revised kit system, and have praised the writing of the newer episodes, among other things.

I try to be an equal opportunity forum poster. As opposed to merely posting praise or criticism.

Secondly, you focus entirely on players leaving as the only significent negative outcome.

And leaving the game, while clearly being a negative outcome, is not the only possible negative outcome.

A reticence to spend more money on the game would be one such outcome. I've not given Cryptic a penny since the grindaversary, and according to what others have written, I'm not alone in that.

I still play because I, despite your attempt to characterise me as a Cryptic hater, want this game to succeed. More than that, i want it to be a triumph.

There have been way, way too many stupid, petty errors recently from cryptic. Way too many shoddy QA oversights. Way too many contentious and divisive decisions.

So, yes...I do suffer a tiny bit and soldier on.

But, I've not spent any money on the game in a while....and I know I'm not alone.

How many more decisions from cryptic will chip a little more off the block of people who give money to cryptic?

At what point does that start to be a problem?

Who knows.

All we can say is that it will eventually become a problem only if Cryptic fail to attract new paying players faster than they lose paying players.

And none of us, without access to Cryptic internal metrics, know what that ratio is.
    edited May 2014
    Nice.
    Thanks! :)
    At what point does that start to be a problem?
    At no point that you will probably ever be aware of.
    A reticence to spend more money on the game would be one such outcome. I've not given Cryptic a penny since the grindaversary, and according to what others have written, I'm not alone in that.
    I have not given them a penny since the game went FTP 2.5 years ago. I am not alone in that. It is still here.
    Who knows.

All we can say is that it will eventually become a problem only if Cryptic fail to attract new paying players faster than they lose paying players.
    And this is all nothing but classic fear-mongering: the game is not to my overall liking and thus must be losing people without attracting more. Eventual DOOM! :)

Of course I think we have had this same conversation in a dozen or more threads. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited May 2014

And this is all nothing but classic fear-mongering: the game is not to my overall liking and thus must be losing people without attracting more. Eventual DOOM! :)

Try reading what I wrote, as opposed to the false narrative you're trying to build.
    Of course I think we have had this same conversation in a dozen or more threads. :)

It's a hard life, defending the defenceless.

And I did notice you utterly failed to answer a point I made a while back.

You stated that the number of players has not changed.

Just exactly how do you know that?

Or are you just making the same sort of assumption you decry in others?
    edited May 2014
    Try reading what I wrote, as opposed to the false narrative you're trying to build.
    Maybe you should read what you wrote. Maybe you should read some of your older posts as well. I have seen you make the same claim: that people are dissatisfied and leaving in many of them. And all of this simply because you were upset about the Anniversary event. You have effectively spent nearly half-a-year trying to get back at Cryptic for that Anniversary Event. All of that for a ship you did not even care about. A sad obsession.
    Just exactly how do you know that?
    I have Cryptic statements to the contrary. Podcasts and other such interviews where they state the game is gaining new players and doing better with each passing Season.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would like Cryptic to fix the "artificial increase for graphic requirements". Certain space maps the used to be fine back in season 8.5 are virtual slideshows in season 9 and I cannot understand why that is so.

I do not use any programs to track FPS, but I have noticed between a small and absurdly high decrease in performance in certain areas. Perhaps the most obvious for me is in the Foundry mission called "Another Man's Hell". In that mission you eventually warp from a Federation staging area (you are actually inside a starbase at this point in time) to a space map where you need to board a disabled KDF starship. This scene used to run pretty well during season 8.5, but has basically turned into a slide show in season 9.

I also noticed a decrease in performance in ESD, but so have many other people. However, since ESD has been redesigned for season 9 I do not know what the FPS would have been in season 8. Therefore, I don't know if the performance decrease is related solely to graphic related effects or simply too many textures that need to be loaded into the GPU's RAM.
  • bruccybruccy Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Maybe you should read what you wrote. Maybe you should read some of your older posts as well. I have seen you make the same claim: that people are dissatisfied and leaving in many of them. And all of this simply because you were upset about the Anniversary event. You have effectively spent nearly half-a-year trying to get back at Cryptic for that Anniversary Event. All of that for a ship you did not even care about. A sad obsession.

I have Cryptic statements to the contrary. Podcasts and other such interviews where they state the game is gaining new players and doing better with each passing Season.

what they dont give figures on is the amount of players they lose on a weekly basis after they have tested the game out

F2P maybe financially clever but does not encourage stable player bases which is ultimatley not fun for players
    edited May 2014
    bruccy wrote: »
    what they dont give figures on is the amount of players they lose on a weekly basis after they have tested the game out
    You really do not understand the FTP market. Players come and go daily. It is expected. Subscription games are about keeping the same people forever. FTP games are about volume: they are the Walmart of the gaming industry. Get tons to play and then get 5-10% to buy something. That is their only goal - and they do not care if it is someone who has been here 4 years buying Zen or someone who just got here yesterday. And so far that system has worked fine for hundreds of FTP games.
    F2P maybe financially clever but does not encourage stable player bases which is ultimatley not fun for players
    Fun is a subjective word. I still play with the same group of friends who were here on Launch day with me. My Fed Fleet has gone from 6 of us to over 400 people. My experience has been quite stable. Of course when I am bored I play something else. I have never found a single television program to be fun forever. I certainly would not expect any single MMO to be fun forever either.
    edited May 2014
    I have seen you make the same claim: that people are dissatisfied and leaving in many of them.

Go on then, quote me where I said that was happening, as opposed to saying it could.
    edited May 2014
    Go on then, quote me where I said that was happening, as opposed to saying it could.
    Spending your time saying "if Cryptic does not fix something people could leave" is really not any different then saying "if Cryptic does not fix something people will leave." Saying it will or it could are irrelevant distinctions as they are implying the same thing when you post them. You know it as well as I do.

The last refuge is the grammar semantics refuge. :)

Anyway, I am done with the debate so feel free to get in the last word.
    edited May 2014
    Spending your time saying "if Cryptic does not fix something people could leave" is really not any different then saying "if Cryptic does not fix something people will leave." Saying it will or it could are irrelevant distinctions as they are implying the same thing when you post them. You know it as well as I do.

The last refuge is the grammar semantics refuge. :)

Anyway, I am done with the debate so feel free to get in the last word.

Fair enough.

You're married to a lawyer, so you know this.....words mean things.

The words I've chosen mean one thing, and you're working very hard to suggest they mean another.
  • hawkhawkinshawkhawkins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    All I can say is that i'm an f2p player who's been around for 2 years and going strong, and though I was invited here by a lifetime subscriber, he never sets foot in the game and hasnt for more than 3 seasons.

Roll that up and smoke it for a bit...
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    All I can say is that i'm an f2p player who's been around for 2 years and going strong, and though I was invited here by a lifetime subscriber, he never sets foot in the game and hasnt for more than 3 seasons.

Roll that up and smoke it for a bit...

the lifer that got me started on this game no longer plays either. maybe once every 6 months drops in see if they are still TRIBBLE things over say hi then bye and gone again. to me the amount of people leaving the game looks bad atleast for the KDF fed space still looks plenty active though. and those damn cockroach romulans are everyplace.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• hawkhawkinshawkhawkins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What my 'recruiter' basically says is they've changed the game so much that he feels like he's overwhelmed by the new system. They've overcomplicated it to the point where even though he might have thousands of zen from his monthly stipend, just learning the new nuances to how everything works is too daunting a task.

I felt like he wasnt very happy that he invited me to the game because I sunk my teeth into it and, having no idea how things 'used to work' very quickly learned the game as it was at that moment, and was showing 'him' how everything worked. He might also feel like as a lifer that no matter what he should always have been ahead of me on the power curve, but in less than 3 weeks I was showing him things that he'd never heard about.

Might speak to how the game might be more friendly to a new persistant userbase than one that steps away for a few months... If you're gone for a few months the amount of things that have changed is hard to absorb... Which for me is a good thing... For him... Not so much.

It was such a huge deal that he went and bought a lifetime membership to mechwarrior rather than learn how sto has changed and play alongside me, even though he's the one that suggested it to me in the first place... thats 300 bucks that sto could have had, but instead mechwarrior gets it and the odds that he'll ever come back is slim. Since he started mechwarrior he's probably thrown another hundred at them... He just dropped a hundred on star citizen too... I have no idea what it would take to get him back in here. He chalks it up to 'been there done that'... So STO isnt for lifers... it's for the ones who stick around. Subscribers or not.

I asked him what it would take, and bare minimum he'd want full canon-accurate access to the NX interior deckplan stem to stern... Dont think thats going to happen.

Me? I just cant wait for surfing on Risa. 2 swimsuits, 2 hoverboards, 2 more tropical birds, 1 megayacht and maybe an emergency power to party and i'm peachy.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    honestly more people come and go out of games than people have heartbeats. Just a fact of life. Doesn't mean the game is doomed.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You know what I would change? The stupid STUPID Fleet Action ques. Was waaaay better when you could pop into an event at will instead of waiting to people to figure out how to hit their "accept" button. Dumb idea to make ques for that.

:rolleyes:
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    How costumes work. Boffs would be able to use everything, Off-Duty, and it's ugly cousins, would be scrapped entirely.
  • cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What would I change? Hmmmmmm.......

EVERYTHING!

Why? This game is based on Star Trek, a multi-billion dollar franchise with its own fan cult for god's sake. Not some pile of hero fantasy sh*t. I'd like the game to become not just another MMO that dies out after ten years, but a game that is fitting to be called Star Trek, something that rivals or even betters the likes of WoW or Eve Online.

Right now, STO attracts say, 1/10th of the fan base of Star Trek, or even less. That's constantly going down as well as us fans realise what a disappointment the game is.

Thus trekkies across the world wait, for an actual Star Trek game to appear that deserves the name...
    Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
    CLASSIFIED
    [SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
  • stardate336914stardate336914 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Delurking to post here.

I've been playing STO since Nov or so. I haven't been playing a long time, but I feel this thread deserves a 'fresher' perspective.

STO seems to be a gem in the F2P MMO experience. It's complicated enough to keep a newer player hitting a wiki regularly just to figure out how some things work, and it has enough hidden gems in space and on the ground to keep me going 'Oh! I didn't know that was there!' even now half a year later. I have tried and retried fits, hunted accolades, done numerous foundries, participated in events, and got unique ships and items. I think these very refreshing qualities in the MMO market need to be complimented on and I feel that STO is a game that caters to a casual gamer extremely well.

How would I change it? Well... the biggest downside to STO so far (for me) unfortunately is its community. I have never seen an MMO community so openly bitter about the game they play, but still play it like a heroine addict looking for a fix. I truely believe a positive attitude ingame and on forums would go a long ways to attracting and keeping new players.

I would also encourage the developers to encourage more organised team PVE for fleet players. As a gamer who can't commit hours at a time, I appreciate a game where I can sit down for 10 minutes, queue up in a PUG, and bing, bang, boom it's done and I can go back to doing work or time with kids/wife. Some players aren't like that, and from what I can tell, other than being able to run PVE slightly quicker, there isn't much benefit to a coordinated fleet presence ingame. In fact I've been in plenty of fleets where the chatter is completely quiet cause there is no real benefit (other than socially) to chit-chat in your fleet. Fleet versus fleet content with appropriate reward could also encourage much needed PVP into the gameplay.

Just my honest opinions, but I hope they might help someone. Thanks
  • cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Delurking to post here.
    STO seems to be a gem in the F2P MMO experience...

How would I change it? Well... the biggest downside to STO so far (for me) unfortunately is its community. I have never seen an MMO community so openly bitter about the game they play, but still play it like a heroine addict looking for a fix. I truely believe a positive attitude ingame and on forums would go a long ways to attracting and keeping new players...

Just my honest opinions, but I hope they might help someone. Thanks

Sounds like your a casual gamer, who isn't a full on Star Trek nut.

Star Trek has its own cult phenomenon and there are many fans out there being strangled by the lack of fresh Trek content. JJ trek is an entirely different type of Star Trek, and just doesn't cut it enough.

The fact that STO exists should be enough, but it isn't because it ain't Star Trek. Rather, it's Escorts Online, or Space Genocide Online. Most Trekkie gamers are turned away quite quickly. Others such as myself are turned away, but remain in the community and either post ideas on how to turn this game into its name sake, or hate on the dev's for not doing enough to put the 'Trek' in game.
    Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
    CLASSIFIED
    [SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
  • stardate336914stardate336914 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    cavalerius wrote: »

Star Trek has its own cult phenomenon and there are many fans out there being strangled by the lack of fresh Trek content. JJ trek is an entirely different type of Star Trek, and just doesn't cut it enough.

The fact that STO exists should be enough, but it isn't because it ain't Star Trek. Rather, it's Escorts Online, or Space Genocide Online. Most Trekkie gamers are turned away quite quickly. Others such as myself are turned away, but remain in the community and either post ideas on how to turn this game into its name sake, or hate on the dev's for not doing enough to put the 'Trek' in game.

Well I'd like to view myself as a Star Trek fan, maybe not a full nut, but I prefer to think that's because I moved out of my parents basement. But since I consider myself a fan, I respect your opinion about content.

I believe from a game design perspective it's nowhere near a perfect game, but there is a lot of things done well. A constant stream of events, interactive communication with the community via regular devblogs and an active community manager, a true feeling of "F2P" within the game, the ability to set individual goals within STO whereas the game doesn't set it for you, a complex space combat system you won't see in other MMO's, the foundry system where individuals can add player made content into the game, ect, ect.

I played EVE Online for 7 years before migrating to STO and onwards and I understand the bittervet syndrome, it creeps into a lot of MMO players, but being able to appreciate the positives and building on the negatives is what I believe can make for an enjoyable gameplay.

Now if its really as bad as you feel, launch a player run strike against the devs and force change (happened in EVE Online, and it looks like it might happen again), and if your voice is loud enough they will do something.

But I'm cool with it either way.
  • kain9primekain9prime Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    cavalerius wrote: »

I'm left with they impression you're one of the people he was talking about. I mean, if you think the game is sub par and "unworthy" of the Star Trek IP, why are you still here? Just to complain? How are you gonna achieve that positive future that "Father Gene" wanted to create when you're being so negative?

This isn't Trek. That isn't Trek. It isn't Trek enough.

I've never liked this aspect of Trek fandom - the fan(atic)s who decide they can lord over what is or is not Trek. It's one thing to not be satisfied with a product, but this concept of people telling others what doesn't count as "Star Trek" is pure IDIC FAIL. The game is loaded with flaws, and I've had my share of issues with plenty of things the devs do or DON'T do in the past 4yrs I've played, but sitting at a comp desk pretending I can claim what is or is not Star Trek isn't constructive criticism; that's just arrogant BS.
    The artist formally known as Romulus_Prime