What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should Admiral Quinn be fired?

2»

Comments

• rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    done and if we talk epohh bunnies you can keep them i plan to exterminate them from the galaxy anyways :D :P

Was gonna support you.
    But now......

STAY OFF OUR EPOHHS, STAY OFF OUR MARKS, STAY OFF THE ROMULAN LEGACY!!!!!

I hereby declare the Rebel Alliance to be born. I will be leading this one, already have a fitting name xD
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Was gonna support you.
    But now......

STAY OFF OUR EPOHHS, STAY OFF OUR MARKS, STAY OFF THE ROMULAN LEGACY!!!!!

I hereby declare the Rebel Alliance to be born. I will be leading this one, already have a fitting name xD

would one billion marks buy your vote ? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So as much as we hate people like Kurland and Quinn, sadly we need them. Our lives would be dull and boring without them.

I'm going to make a Terry Pratchett reference so bear with me.

Sam Vimes would disagree.

Google it if you feel it necessary (I wouldn't), but the point is that even with competent leaders there's still work for the underlings to do. In fact the best work (ie. the stories with the best dramatic setup) come from where honcho A sends protagonist B on adventure C but precisely in the way that best applies the talents of B to the developing situation in C. That situation breaks, the hero plays the part of the hero to the very best of their ability, and you have a very good story. See. The Fifth Elephant, or *sigh* the Hobbit.

In STO what we have is merely the product of weak writing. We have all the elements of "competent" leader sending competent follower out into the plot but without the appropriate fine tuning of compounding characterizations and plot elements clicking nicely into place to build a more impressive structure than those constituent parts were by themselves. It's the right pattern but without the fine detail, as it were. We could still have that detail (ie. Quinn actually knows what he's doing [that is not just responding to stimuli by reflexively throwing you at it], he just needs someone to go do it, see. the Tuvok school of command) and still have an adventure, but it would take a little more effort in the writing.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    make tuvok incharge of esd and move quinn to starfleet academy he is getting too old now
    edited May 2014
    derrico1 wrote: »
    make tuvok incharge of esd and move quinn to starfleet academy he is getting too old now

oh and tuvok is what in his 200's by now?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    So lets See...

Kurland let DS9 be taken over what.. 2? 3 times?
    He ordered retreat from DS9 DISPITE the fact that I cleared out all enemies.

Admiral T'nae sent a Species 8472 in disguise as a Federation Admiral int a first strike mission against the Tal'shiar.

I think balloons and dancers are the least of our problems.

Undine in "Shutdown".
    Terrans in "Crack in the Mirror".
    5 episodes for "Second Wave".

13 episodes in that sector block and Kurland is out of control for 7 of them.

Plus a fleet action that got removed.

Kurland is literally in command less than 50% of the time.

If I could re-do that content, I'd scrap a big chunk of the Cardassian missions and go with a Mirror Terok Nor Adventure Zone like Nimbus. That would feel much more logical as a place where we'd be getting in firefights all the time with a DS9 map backdrop instead of having Kurland lose the station.

I'd probably also relocate the Cardassian colony missions. Merge Beta Ursae and Alpha Trianguli into one large sector block like Tau Dewa. Empty out the Zenas Expanse. (Can't get rid of it because there are Foundry hookups there.)
  • derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    oh and tuvok is what in his 200's by now?

he would be a much better choice then quinn and while your at it bring back sisko to take control of ds9 again
    edited May 2014
    derrico1 wrote: »

he would be a much better choice then quinn and while your at it bring back sisko to take control of ds9 again

sisko is a god now and has better thing to do with his infinite time :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited May 2014

So why not dedicate a fraction of infinity to doing something productive!
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What's always bothered me about the game's Admiral Quinn is that it isn't the same Admiral Quinn from the show (TNG). While I'm sure that that Quinn would be dead, what's the point of naming this guy Quinn?
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
    edited May 2014
    So why not dedicate a fraction of infinity to doing something productive!

he is he keep Bajor and the wormhole going :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited May 2014
    he is he keep Bajor and the wormhole going :D

Yes, and we know how well he's keeping those going. On the one hand maybe the next dominion fleet expelled will be from the future, that would certainly spice things up, and on the other let's just hope the next Kai can keep their third leg tucked in beneath the robe for most public occasions. :P

Some time in a finite linear existence would probably be good for him.
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Actually, it is worth pointing out, that the final episode of DS9, Sisko did indicate an intention to return to a linear, corporeal (and I am assuming non "god-like") existence at some point. Of course given the non-linear nature of the Prophets, when that is is anyone's guess.

Though I believe the books do have him back in corporeal existence now. Still STO's timeline seems to suggest he is still among the Prophets as a non-corporeal, non-linear being.
    edited May 2014
    Actually, it is worth pointing out, that the final episode of DS9, Sisko did indicate an intention to return to a linear, corporeal (and I am assuming non "god-like") existence at some point. Of course given the non-linear nature of the Prophets, when that is is anyone's guess.

20,000 years later

"Hey guys, I'mmmmm back! Whose up for some baseball!"

*The otters just look at him.*
  • hunterkiller64hunterkiller64 Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    feed Quin and kirland to the gorn lol
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So… all this talk about should Quinn be fired and not “Is he even Admiral Quinn”?

The Undine are very tricky… they use their morphing technique to confuse their prey and are known to use even their own kind as a diversion. Secondly, don’t Undine some sort of physical contact, albeit brief, to enable themselves to mimic an intended target?

Who better to mimic than Quin? How better to distract us all from his replacement than staging an attack on his life? I demand mandatory genetic screening for all Starfleet personnel! The Undine’s ability to mimic is impressive, but it isn’t absolute. Trace anomalies in any mimicked host should be enough to identify them. The issue is controlling a test to isolate and identify those anomalies, and in order to do that we will need to test Undine in their host’s form. They seem rather less than willing to cooperate and we can not scan for something we do not know if we don’t know what we’re looking for or from whom.

Quin needs to be quarantined immediately and subdued to a battery of tests, as do any and all Starfleet personnel present on the station during the attack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    mhall85 wrote: »
    SERIOUSLY. What's worse? Dude never does ANYTHING for himself.

*I* had to clear out Mirror Universe peeps on HIS station. *I* had to walk around IN SPACE OUTSIDE to take back *HIS* station.

Do it yourself, bro. We all got problemz.

Seriously.

Let's go into the Wormhole and get Sisko back.

"We must maintain radio silence."

*Five seconds pass*

"KURLAND HERE!"
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ltminns wrote: »
    How can this guy be in command of Starfleet when he can't even control his own headquarters. He has let a number of knuckleheads run rampant all around his new and shiny ESD shooting balloons, fog and disco lights at all hours of the day. His officers are dancing when they are on duty. How are we supposed to fight the Iconians with this lot of slackers.

Come on Admiral, get out from behind your desk and take back the ESD. ;)

you sir will be ejected into space
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
    edited May 2014
    prierin wrote: »

Quin needs to be quarantined immediately and subdued to a battery of tests, as do any and all Starfleet personnel present on the station during the attack.

Well that was what Cryptic was playing at during the mission. "Oh there's quinn, no he's a space monster. Is that really quinn on the comm?" The suspicion fell obviously on him but it was the little known engineer who was the infiltrator. You might still suspect another beard-wearing space monster is posing as the old man but to what purpose would Cryptic write that? Is there going to be another trump to play when the Undine attack ESD again (this time with feeling)? And in that case why allow Shon to use FED resources to save the KDF? As head honcho he certainly could have taken the position "no, we have to defend ourselves" with little if any suspicion that he had a third leg.

Possible: probably not so I'd put away the more invasive probes for the moment. You sir, on the other hand, have just bought yourself an hour with the lower transpectral interogulator! It would be a cunning plot indeed to question the species of a superior officer to cover up your own subversive actions!
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well that was what Cryptic was playing at during the mission. "Oh there's quinn, no he's a space monster. Is that really quinn on the comm?" The suspicion fell obviously on him but it was the little known engineer who was the infiltrator. You might still suspect another beard-wearing space monster is posing as the old man but to what purpose would Cryptic write that? Is there going to be another trump to play when the Undine attack ESD again (this time with feeling)? And in that case why allow Shon to use FED resources to save the KDF? As head honcho he certainly could have taken the position "no, we have to defend ourselves" with little if any suspicion that he had a third leg.

Possible: probably not so I'd put away the more invasive probes for the moment. You sir, on the other hand, have just bought yourself an hour with the lower transpectral interogulator! It would be a cunning plot indeed to question the species of a superior officer to cover up your own subversive actions!

Subject me to any test you wish. I know I am me.

I’ve already stated, as Admiral Tuvok has also reiterated; the Undine are a clever race. It is not unthinkable that Egg was a decoy to keep us from suspecting Quinn. As for why Cryptic would so something like this…. STORY (he cries hopefully). Give us something more than “Bad guys attacked – destroyed the ESD but hey! We got a shiny new one so alls good!”

Personally, I’d like to have seen the restoration of the ESD take more time… force players to use a broken and shattered ESD while the repairs are coming along, then surprise us with a new version. But that’s just me.

As far as Shon, I disagree. What Shon did was no different than what Cpt Garrett did, saving the Klingons from a Romulan attack. That action established a rekindled peace between not only between the KDF and Starfleet, but a new peace between all three major powers of the Alpha Quadrant. I’d say that was more than worth the loss of the Aquarius.

“Garry: My God, what was happening to him?
    “MacReady: If it had more time to finish, it would have looked and sounded and acted just like Bennings!
    “Garry: I don't know what you're saying.
    “MacReady: That was one of those things out there trying to imitate him, Garry. C'mon.
    “Garry: MacReady, I know Bennings. I've known him for ten years. He's my friend.
    “MacReady: We gotta burn the rest of 'em.”
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I saw a chick in skmpy clothes dancing on his desk right infront of him.
    Did you read? On his desk...right infront of him

...and he was staring at her bottom without any hint of any emotion on his face.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2014
    notapwefan wrote: »

...and he was staring at her bottom without any hint of any emotion on his face.

maybe he is part vulcan :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Undine in "Shutdown".
    Terrans in "Crack in the Mirror".
    5 episodes for "Second Wave".

13 episodes in that sector block and Kurland is out of control for 7 of them.

Plus a fleet action that got removed.

Kurland is literally in command less than 50% of the time.

If I could re-do that content, I'd scrap a big chunk of the Cardassian missions and go with a Mirror Terok Nor Adventure Zone like Nimbus. That would feel much more logical as a place where we'd be getting in firefights all the time with a DS9 map backdrop instead of having Kurland lose the station.

I'd probably also relocate the Cardassian colony missions. Merge Beta Ursae and Alpha Trianguli into one large sector block like Tau Dewa. Empty out the Zenas Expanse. (Can't get rid of it because there are Foundry hookups there.)

Thats actually a healthy take on revamping the Cardassian storyline... Half a Mirror-ark, and then make all the cardassian stories independend (sort of like the cardassian council asking for federation aid for a while, and you're the one going there).
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This is the most logical explanation :D
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Something that most people don't know is that in one of the first lives that Quinn's symbiote lived through was being a 'medicine woman'.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014

He is TRIBBLE. I can tell you, if a male guy with skimpy clothes would be dancing on my desk, I wouldn't enjoy it much, and I would probably do the same face Quinn is doing. Thinking "I hope this idiot is not breaking my desk".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Was this the scandalous Harlot?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1118651&highlight=quinn+abusing+power
  • anyone#9933 anyone Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The Undine would be somewhat useless as an infiltration species if they were easy to detect. :)

The doctor from voyager found a way :P
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Rank hath it's privileges.

And he's just the cool and collected type. That, or he's just seem a gazillion strippers doing the same thing over his many lifetimes. :D
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    Subject me to any test you wish. I know I am me.

I’ve already stated, as Admiral Tuvok has also reiterated; the Undine are a clever race. It is not unthinkable that Egg was a decoy to keep us from suspecting Quinn. As for why Cryptic would so something like this…. STORY (he cries hopefully). Give us something more than “Bad guys attacked – destroyed the ESD but hey! We got a shiny new one so alls good!”

Right, because Cryptic thinks that far ahead. :rolleyes: And if the Undine were a clever race, they would've figured out by now that A) it's frakking not us attacking them, and B) that they're wasting their time and forces trying to break through the Dyson spheres.

The Undine are a bunch of ****ing morons and Egg managing to stay undetected so long makes him the only actually competent infiltrator we've ever met.

And let's not forget, Quinn visited J'mpok, a man who keeps Lethean bodyguards around to catch Undine. If he was an Undine, he would've been unmasked at the armistice.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/