test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cosmos

hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Ten Forward
anyone catch the latest episode of Cosmos? there was a bit at the end where Neil talks about what the future would be like for the human race by the time the sun dies, and that our species would have migrated off earth by then (as if it was just natural that this would happen).... i really enjoyed this, and it made me think of star trek, and a future where we populate other worlds, in that it would be just a natural progression....

i also liked his portrayal of future humans, in that they'd be unrecognisable to us in present day; that they'd be a completely different species by then (i believe he meant behaviourally, but im sure biologically is a given; also very star trek)

i don't know if most people think about this as a reality
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    eurrsk47eurrsk47 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's a great series, and I do need to start catching up myself. <3 I watched Carl Sagan's "The Cosmos", and Neil DeGrasse Tyson does a wonderful job today revitalizing the series. One could only imagine and dream what our future beholds. Really amazing and stunning hypothetical concepts indeed! :cool:
    Live Long and Prosper!
    Or Die Trying!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ==== Try my new Foundry Mission: "Operation Demon Storm" ====
  • Options
    felixhexfelixhex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I love this show. I'm behind though. I should catch up.

But about the future of our race. As long as we don't kill ourselves with some kind of man made extinction level event I believe what he speaks about is possible. This gets my imagination going. I love this stuff.
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited May 2014
    "We are all made of star-stuff."

"Biiiilyuns and biiiilyuns of stars."

(In case you're wondering, I am a fan of Sagan's "Cosmos", which came out in 1980, when I was 13. Another good series is "The Day the Earth Changed" by James Burke. He also did "Connections".)
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    I think the "Star Stuff" line also made an appearance in Babylon 5.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    the show is great; co-written so eloquently by carl sagan's widow Ann Druyan (who also did the movie Contact)
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    By the time our sun burns out...

Who's to say what has happened by then...

We could be extinct by an asteroid/plague/world war/famine...

But if we did make it that long, would we have the means to get off the planet and terraform a world?

To think of what someone from the 1800s would think of today....would someone from the year 10000 look back at us with the same contempt?
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I doubt that our geopolitics or literature/media will be very relevant to people tens of thousands (or more) years from now--they would care even less about it than we care about the ancient Egyptians. The big milestones of the 20th century to them would be the first nuclear energy, the first heavier-than-air and spaceflight, the first computers, and the first "real" understanding of genetics, and they would look back on them like we would look on such advances as the first working of iron or the first animal-drawn plow--things that were important advances in themselves, but were eventually superseded.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The Sun isn't due to leave the main sequence and become a red giant for another five billion years yet, give or take, and has three billion years or so after that until it settles down into white-dwarf status. Odds are good that the Solar System will have been ejected from the galaxy before that, when the Andromeda and Milky Way galaxies collide some three or four billion years from now.

Either way, it seems highly unlikely to me that our descendants billions of years hence will even be recognizable as human (possibly not even recognizable as life forms). After all, going the other way, our ancestors three billion years ago were primitive microbes....
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    bradchristopher1bradchristopher1 Member Posts: 307
    edited May 2014
    "We are all made of star-stuff."

"Biiiilyuns and biiiilyuns of stars."

(In case you're wondering, I am a fan of Sagan's "Cosmos", which came out in 1980, when I was 13. Another good series is "The Day the Earth Changed" by James Burke. He also did "Connections".)

If you liked both the original and new Cosmos, you might enjoy this entertaining byproduct

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=symphonyofscience.com+

A few of my faves...

Carl Sagan - 'A Glorious Dawn' ft Stephen Hawking (Symphony of Science)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Symphony of Science - 'We Are All Connected' (ft. Sagan, Feynman, deGrasse Tyson & Bill Nye)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk

Symphony of Science - 'Our Place in the Cosmos' (ft. Sagan, Dawkins, Kaku, Jastrow)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vioZf4TjoUI

more can be found here though

http://symphonyofscience.com/

enjoy! :o
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If the Sun ever goes Red Giant while we are still here, then humanity could easily mess around with the Sun so it stays its normal self, replace our old Sun with a healthier star, move Earth into a new orbit, or some other method we can't think of. After all, look at how advanced we have become in 100 years and humanity will become so advanced in a million years that we couldn't understand our distant descendants. The only issue is our stupidity killing us before we are advanced enough or we encounter some problem that we aren't ready to solve.
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Another good series is "The Day the Earth Changed" by James Burke. He also did "Connections".)
    I loved Connections - I'll have to look for the DtEC. Are either of these on Netflix?

As for Tyson, he's no Sagan. I'm not saying he does a bad job, but while Sagan exuded a sense of excitement and wonder, Tyson seems a bit smug and condescending.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    anyone see the latest one? it was the climate change episode

loved the final shot; this show has so much positive outlook..... i hope its message reaches more ppl
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hawku001x wrote: »
    anyone see the latest one? it was the climate change episode

loved the final shot; this show has so much positive outlook..... i hope its message reaches more ppl
    *reads summary on Wikipedia*

The basic gist I got is that the ep was a somewhat lopsided explanation of how humans are to blame for global warming and if we don't stop destroying the Earth it'll be as hot as Venus...

Yeah.... no. The show is exactly what I thought it was.... entertainment with little substance.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited June 2014
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    I loved Connections - I'll have to look for the DtEC. Are either of these on Netflix?

No idea. I have the "Day the Earth Changed" DVD set (used to have the book too), but not sure if I still have the "Connections" DVD set (it may have been donated along with alot of other DVDs I've donated to the local library over the past year or so). You could see what DtEC is going for on Amazon (or Ebay), and ditto for "Connections". Prices might be a bit steep.