test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why would anyone ever pay for additional loadouts?

skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
I have 6 characters with 2 loadouts saved on each one. Out of my 12 total loadouts, only 1 of them actually works as it is intended. When I load the other 11 loadouts it completely blows up my trays, putting random powers into slots or just leaving them blank, and unfortunately, this is the most time consuming part of switching builds.

Usually, a product needs higher than an 8% chance to work if you are going to sell it or want people to actually buy it. How can Cryptic justify selling such a broken piece of tech such as loadouts when you can't switch between them even some-what reliably? Do they give your money back if you buy extra loadout slots and they don't work properly?
Post edited by skurf on

Comments

• doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The worst part of the loadout system is that it's incompatible with many endgame ships, too. Since they failed to include any functionality to delete or remove a loadout and thus remove it from use and return it to the pool, restoring the ship to a pristine state, aside from "Dismiss and Reclaim The Ship", this means the loadout system cannot be used with any Fleet or Special Box ship, as these ships cannot be dismissed and reclaimed, so using the loadout system on them will permanently damage them and render them irreparable.

In short, it's useless and even harmful, and I haven't touched it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Honey Badger Studios dont give a ...

Release for sale, fix it later, maybe, whatever
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've had no problems at all with the loadouts feature. Some of my ships have 2 loadouts setup that I swap between, the DOFFs, BOFFs and power tray all change just fine and how I saved the loadout is how it restores them when I swap.
    The worst part of the loadout system is that it's incompatible with many endgame ships, too.

I have no idea what you are on about. Loadouts work just fine on my Oddy, Scims, Recluse and fleet T'vario just fine.

Do you understand what the loadouts feature is and what it is for? How are you trying to use it if you've found it not to be compatible ??

As for buying loadouts, I can see the reason. One of my carriers has 5+ configs I use depending on my mood, so for that extra loadout slots will be great - saves me trying to remember to all the gear I had equipped plus what DOFFs / BOFFs - 1 click and it's all done for me.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    I've had no problems at all with the loadouts feature. Some of my ships have 2 loadouts setup that I swap between, the DOFFs, BOFFs and power tray all change just fine and how I saved the loadout is how it restores them when I swap.

I have no idea what you are on about. Loadouts work just fine on my Oddy, Scims, Recluse and fleet T'vario just fine.

Do you understand what the loadouts feature is and what it is for? How are you trying to use it if you've found it not to be compatible ??

As for buying loadouts, I can see the reason. One of my carriers has 5+ configs I use depending on my mood, so for that extra loadout slots will be great - saves me trying to remember to all the gear I had equipped plus what DOFFs / BOFFs - 1 click and it's all done for me.

Read the rest of the post you quoted. If you want to reclaim and reuse a loadout slot, you have to discharge and reclaim your ship. This obviously does not work with fleet or lockbox ships. So if you want to reuse the loadouts on your Recluse and fleet T'varo, you have to discharge them and then buy another one. That's why it's largely incompatible.

Loadouts was a good idea with garbage implementation.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    Read the rest of the post you quoted. If you want to reclaim and reuse a loadout slot, you have to discharge and reclaim your ship. This obviously does not work with fleet or lockbox ships. So if you want to reuse the loadouts on your Recluse and fleet T'varo, you have to discharge them and then buy another one. That's why it's largely incompatible.

Why not just change your build then save the loadout, overwriting the previous loadout (with or without renaming it)? This is how it's supposed to work, right? Although, like I said, I am having trouble getting it to save my tray layouts and sometimes it doesn't equip the proper bridge officers. However, the doffs and equipment seem to save/load properly for me.
    edited May 2014
    skurf wrote: »
    Why not just change your build then save the loadout, overwriting the previous loadout (with or without renaming it)? This is how it's supposed to work, right? Although, like I said, I am having trouble getting it to save my tray layouts and sometimes it doesn't equip the proper bridge officers. The doffs and equipment seem to save/load properly for me.

You can't. The game won't let you overwrite loadouts. You have to discharge your ship in order to reuse a loadout slot.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You can't. The game won't let you overwrite loadouts. You have to discharge your ship in order to reuse a loadout slot.

So you're saying that once you've created a loadout you can never, ever change it, because the game won't let you "overwrite" it?

I don't think that's right...
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited May 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    So you're saying that once you've created a loadout you can never, ever change it, because the game won't let you "overwrite" it?

I don't think that's right...

Sometimes, it doesn't overwrite anything.

Sometimes, it overwrites the loadout, but then your skill trays are completely reset to something random.

Sometimes, it actually works. And then, the next day, when you log in, everything is messed up again.

Once in a long while, the loadout options work as Cryptic intended.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
    edited May 2014
    If it's supposed to overwrite, then it's even more broken that I thought. Because I currently cannot edit any loadouts at all.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well sure, the system is acknowledged to be buggy and not working as intended, and needs to be fixed.

But doffingcomrade and Ian451's comments seem to implying that even if the system were working as designed, you wouldn't be able to overwrite a loadout.

Which is silly, because that's exactly what you do every time you make a change to your loadout.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited May 2014
    If it's supposed to overwrite, then it's even more broken that I thought. Because I currently cannot edit any loadouts at all.

What sort of works is:
    1. Change whatever in your weapons, consoles, BOFFs, DOFFs, skill trays.
    2. RENAME the loadout that you are trying to save into.
    3. SAVE the loadout under the new name.

This works occasionally.

Sometimes, it kind of works (i.e. the weapons, DOFFs, and skill tray especially tend to not get saved... but other parts are saved).
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
    edited May 2014
    Works occasionally eh? lol I'll have to try again later when I get on then. I have yet to have it work.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2014
    Im waiting for everyone else to play test it

When its working I will buy the loadouts for my characters

but only when it actually works

lol
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited May 2014
    Ah here we go. If the editing is just busted that's not so bad. It looks like if you want to have paid slots refunded to you, you still have to discharge the ship. From the patch notes:
    Use them in any order on any number of ships, and discharge a ship to have the slots refunded to you.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1019981

Meh. That still sucks since I fly a Wells lol.

Edit: Ah, there it is. From the same patch notes:
    Use Save As... to save any changes to your current loadout, or Rename it.

Then yep, the editing is just busted since we're intended to be able to. Cool. Now fix it Cryptic. :P
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would pay for additional load outs if they would even remotely work.
    In the current state putting them into cstore in IMO fraud.
  • ravagerborgravagerborg Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I also have problems with loadouts, somehow on my main char switching between my PvE and PvP configurations is working fine (don't remember if I ever tried to change those after the first time I created them), but as far as I can tell equipment, boffs, doffs and skill tray switches fine between my two loadouts.

On the other hand on my rommie char that I rolled out recently, I tried doing the same thing and everytime I change loadouts some doffs are not loaded, and the skill tray is filled with blank slots. Not idea why it does that but it surely stops me from doing diverse content, cause it's really a pain in the TRIBBLE trying to do it a manual change of so much stuff just for a few minutes of gameplay.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Agreed. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go rearrange my power tray. Again.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I myself only use the two freebies per ship, and so far have had a 85% success rate, as for the other 15% it does tend to mess up, but I can sometimes fix it myself.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I mostly have one load out per ship and that is basically to ensure that I have it available if something screws up with the tray. The few ships with two load outs are mostly for keeping an older load one when moving to something new. The only time I actively changed load outs back and forth was for the Mirror Incursion Event on one ship - I switched out to Diburnium Armor Consoles for the event and then switched back to Tetraburium.

I have never has problems with stuff TRIBBLE up when switching maps. The only thing I find is not load out related and that is when new powers or different weapons are added to the ship, the tray insists on filling up the first clear spot in the power tray even if it is locked. That has always happened however (even before load outs).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The loadouts can easily be overwritten by selecting "save as" from the loadout menu, and then clicking on the loadout name. This works best in a space zone, not sector space. I still have the occasional dropped power, usually from a rep or set. The ones that get the most messed up are for the ships which have NO saved loadouts. This is the only reason I've gone to it at all; to save me from porting into a zone with garbage on my tray and/or no one at their post. Those rearrange & drop stuff all the time. As was said - good idea, garbage implementation. I haven't been in a hurry to fix all my ships yet because I figure as soon as I do, Craptic will change something else & foul it up again.
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A lot of Negative Nancie's in this thread. You guys need to look on the bright side. So what if loadout bugs persist months after implementation?

At least the Space Dock Shuttle bay got fixed. :D
  • hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    For PVP its a nightmare. I've actually had to cloak and move to a hidding spot long enough to fix my trays. If your ship doesn't cloak I don't know what to tell you.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Works occasionally eh? lol I'll have to try again later when I get on then. I have yet to have it work.

Oddly (given the virulence against it on the forums), I have yet to have loadouts not work as intended...
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Initially, I could barely get them to work at all, with items flying about all over the place and clogging up my inventory and boff powers everywhere.
    I gave it another chance recently and haven't encountered any major problems with it. Granted, I haven't really tried several of the functions you guys are having problems with, but ship changing appears to be working for me, unlike earlier.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I love getting into a fight and then realizing all my doffs changed when I switched maps... or one of my weapons got unslotted.

I changed loadouts once... thought great I can switch weapon types with a click now... and BOOM everything gone on my bar.

Nice idea in theory terrible implementation. I agree they should NOT be selling anything to do with this junk. Once they fix it they should go to it...

They should fix it and give everyone that has a loadout saved a free loadout slot as a sorry... and a please try it again. Cause I don't care if they say its fixed at this point I won't bother.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Oddly (given the virulence against it on the forums), I have yet to have loadouts not work as intended...

LOL, you must be almost the only one on STO .. lol.
  • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would pay for additional load outs if they would even remotely work.
    In the current state putting them into cstore in IMO fraud.

Agreed. They seem to work fine at times and other times not. As for myself I just use it to save from my Oddy to my Avenger since both ships have basically the same build/equipment/Doffs/etc. I don't encounter many problems.

However, the system is not working without its flaws and I can see why people just give up on it. Instead of rolling out Season 10 a few months from now they should roll out Season 9 again 100% bug free :D
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    skurf wrote: »
    Out of my 12 total loadouts, only 1 of them actually works as it is intended.

Its your fault on first place to use a system that never worked. Not only you have just 1 more loadout, you have 12!!! ???? dude, seriously... i dunno wat to say. Since the very first day, the loadout system never worked and a lot of people posted in the forums about it, and you go and buy even more slots?? lol.. some of you amaze me, really.

The loadout systems must be left untouched since the first day, if not, problems will appear. 98% garanteed. I only used it once in my main, the first day it was released, and my main is a little broken. Not so much, but every skill i try to put in my skill bar will never kept that way. And that happened to me only after i used the loadout system in my main, the first day the loadout system was released lol.

And what you dont realize, people, the more you use the loadout system, the more problems you will have. If you try to "fix" something using the loadout system, you are doing it the wrong way and you are getting things worst. But after so many times people said this, its like some people will never learn lol.
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I just want to point out, in case anyone didn't know although i'm sure everyone here does.

If you don't change and save loadouts while in space, eg. orbiting Earth etc, it won't correctly save your loadout.

I for one, never have any issues with loadouts and loadout swapping, unless i try and change stuff on the ground.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The loadout system has a "memory" issue, it can "remember" what setup you were using on your ship before you changed anything, but after you make any changes to the setup it will "forget" those changes when you switch maps, and it will instead use what it "remembers". I believe this is what is causing most of the loadout issues people are having, especially if you have gotten rid of the gear/doffs you were using, if it can't find what it "remembers" then there is a good chance you will end up with a well scrambled ship.