test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New sliders and organization coming soon to Character Creator/Tailor

crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
Giving a heads up here for some cool stuff coming down the pipe.

There are new subheadings to greatly help navigation. A bonus is if you want to randomize each section you will be able to. For example, want to randomize just the nose settings? Just hit the randomize button next to the "Nose.." header.

Managed to throw in quite a few new sliders as well. Waist, hips depth, eyes depth and a few others offering minor ranges to fine tune your toons.

Current:
http://imgur.com/0W7Nnxa,yYadq5a

WiP:
http://imgur.com/0W7Nnxa,yYadq5a#1
Post edited by crypticjoejing on

Comments

• Options
    darknessmutadarknessmuta Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Very nice, it would be great for some numbers to go along with those slider settings so we can recreate looks easier as copying attires does not always work correctly when loading a characters look if it's another race.
  • Options
    acheronbladeacheronblade Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sounds good. Is there any chance that you guy's could look at adjusting the leg size ranges? My Nausicaan can only have really skinny legs, or kind of skinny legs. I Can never make them even remotely thick. he looks like he always skips leg day in the gym. I'm sure this is a problem with some of the other races too, I often see chicken legged Klingons. Not Gorn though, they know the importance of a balanced build :)
    PRWDS5g.jpg
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I look forward to these changes. Thanks! :)

Any comment on the missing Gorn body sliders (that were added a few seasons back to allow for large Gorn, and disappeared around LoR)?

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited May 2014

There are new subheadings to greatly help navigation. A bonus is if you want to randomize each section you will be able to. For example, want to randomize just the nose settings? Just hit the randomize button next to the "Nose.." header.

Managed to throw in quite a few new sliders as well. Waist, hips depth, eyes depth and a few others offering minor ranges to fine tune your toons.

Current:

WiP:

Awesome news, but, your 'WiP' image is exactly the same as the 'Current' image, I don't see anything new in the 'WiP' image. I had both your images open in separate tabs and clicked each to enlarge them. Then clicked back and forth between the tabs to compare them and nothing changed.

Edit: NoScript add on in Firefox prevented me from seeing the WiP image, so problem was on my end. lol.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Awesome news, but, your 'WiP' image is exactly the same as the 'Current' image, I don't see anything new in the 'WiP' image. I had both your images open in separate tabs and clicked each to enlarge them. Then clicked back and forth between the tabs to compare them and nothing changed.
    I don't know if the image was fixed or not, but check again. You should see additional subheadings in the second picture. (If it was indeed wrong first and later fixed, it could be that your browser has still cached the old version of the picture.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the work! These are some really cool features and they should make customization easier.

Maybe you should consider re-categorizing the costume tab, as well. With all the kit options, it has become a little cluttered.

I'd also like to echo some requests from the other thread regarding these changes: Could there be an option to turn off face and hair templates? Most of the time they are more annoying than anything else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • Options
    ulfedinulfedin Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    That is great, I can't wait for these changes to go live. I've been waiting for eyes depth for a llong time.

Do the new sliders mean that we'll finally be able to make bulky (or even fat) characters and boffs?
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't know if the image was fixed or not, but check again. You should see additional subheadings in the second picture. (If it was indeed wrong first and later fixed, it could be that your browser has still cached the old version of the picture.)

That wasn't the problem. Even after clearing all browsing history I still saw the same image when clicking the dev's links.

I did find what was causing it though. I told NoScript to temporarily allow all on the page and I was able to see that there were in fact 2 different images. So the problem was on my end of course. :o

I know it's a work in progress but the OP says something about eye depth but I don't see that slider in the WiP image in the eyes section.

I do like how things are being categorized finally such as all eye options together, all nose options together, etc. I really have to give my thanks to Cryptic for finally finding the time to spruce up the character head options to give us more customization. It brings life back to the game.

And because of the new head type and base complexion options added at season 9 launch, I was finally able to give my joined-trill captain a face I actually liked. Everything I tried I ended up looking like another one of my characters but with a different hair style. :)
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Looks good, I await their release :)
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Could you please add numbers to the sliders, that shows the values.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    ogremindesogremindes Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Is it just cropping, or has the Undo button gone missing again?
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the work ! Really nice !
    And also, it was undocumented it seems, thanks for adding the Romulan Tatoo to Romulan female (it was missing) !

Still, there are still a few bugs. Mostly plaettes for Romulan.
    But there is another one you might do something : Romulan female (not sure for male) can't access Omega Force (MK XII and Harvester customization) Hips attach (left and right). I did both customization project for MK XII and MK XII + every eSTF optionals. While my fed can have the hips attach, by doing the same projects, my Romulan can't.

Anyway, it's good to see some love on the tailor. Much appreciated !
    bridgern wrote: »
    I would LOVE That.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shapeywhelmshapeywhelm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Very nice! new options are always great.

A bug I have noticed that is still in place since we received the romulans is with the liberated borg romulan. You can have an infected face but there is no option to use infected ears, so you end up with vastly differing ear colour to your body.

Also while the Reman borg bridge officer and the Human liberated borg bridge officer both are able to use the borg skin suit as a costume option, the Romulan liberated borg is unable to. (for some reason the Reman can only use the top and pants but gets no option for the borg boots)

Would be nice to have to round them out so to speak. Would be a great option to have on liberated borg captains as well. :D
  • Options
    thehavrahathehavraha Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    These look good.

I request sliders that allow us to adjust the actual width and height of the eye itself, not its position on the face I mean, and also the eye tilt.

With that, and more sliders that control nose shape (like a nose tip slider for width and angle), we'd be able to HIGHLY customize toons so they looked practically nothing alike. I know these slidrs exist because I've seen many of them in Neverwinter Foundry's advanced character creator. If we could just get them unlocked, we'd be really really set.

Thanks for the hard work so far!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am a Cheestah.
    Check out my Foundry missions
    Fed: "To Helna and Back", "Rema Donna", "Animations with Helna", "Mudd's Weapons", "Waiting for Wednesday", "Monolith"
    KDF: "Time the Enemy", "Time the Ally", "Time the Traitor"
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thehavraha wrote: »
    I know these slidrs exist because I've seen many of them in Neverwinter Foundry's advanced character creator. If we could just get them unlocked, we'd be really really set.

Just because Neverwinter has something, doesn't mean STO does, they're different branches of the engine.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Awesome for the people who will use these sliders. I see no big reason to myself.

Too bad we can't get the DFC portion of the TRIBBLE slider in though.
  • Options
    mosquito214mosquito214 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited May 2014

This would be great. Especially for recreating characters when you can't just load a costume file, like if you want to make an Alien version of another character.

Also, I guess it's probably not possible, but it'd be nice if the listed height on the slider gave the "proper" height, taking into account Leg Length, Torso Length, etc.
  • Options
    yulianhuayulianhua Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2014

This would be great. Especially for recreating characters when you can't just load a costume file, like if you want to make an Alien version of another character.

Also, I guess it's probably not possible, but it'd be nice if the listed height on the slider gave the "proper" height, taking into account Leg Length, Torso Length, etc.

Seconded, thirded, fourthed, and fifthed! :D
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Awesome for the people who will use these sliders. I see no big reason to myself.

Oh yes, yes you will. :cool:
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Too bad we can't get the DFC portion of the TRIBBLE slider in though.

Soon enough though. :D
  • Options
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 785 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thehavraha wrote: »
    These look good.

I request sliders that allow us to adjust the actual width and height of the eye itself, not its position on the face I mean, and also the eye tilt.

With that, and more sliders that control nose shape (like a nose tip slider for width and angle), we'd be able to HIGHLY customize toons so they looked practically nothing alike. I know these slidrs exist because I've seen many of them in Neverwinter Foundry's advanced character creator. If we could just get them unlocked, we'd be really really set.

I would love that.

For the eye sliders, the eye height slider in CO affects the height of the eye itself, so at least one of them exists.

For the nose sliders, that would also be invaluable, as not everyone has the same nose shape. For example, some people have a convex nose curve, instead of a concave one. Currently, it's next to impossible to create a character with a nose shape like that. The most I've been able to pull off is a flat nose curve, instead of concave.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Current:

WiP:
    Now this is something that I'm curious about.

This says randomize, but it doesn't specify that we can't select noses.

For instance using the nose for face 1 with face 3 is that going to be an option. I don't entirely know why they're locked to their faces unless it's just to save memory or something.

Randomizing just mean the settings in the current nose correct?
    Sounds good. Is there any chance that you guy's could look at adjusting the leg size ranges? My Nausicaan can only have really skinny legs, or kind of skinny legs. I Can never make them even remotely thick. he looks like he always skips leg day in the gym. I'm sure this is a problem with some of the other races too, I often see chicken legged Klingons. Not Gorn though, they know the importance of a balanced build :)
    God PLEASE I'm begging you.

Restore the thickness. The current shape is fine, but the thickness has got to come back. The max should be the old TOS skirt legs, the current is not cutting it.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,530 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Will this add things like moles, more scars, freckles, and so on to the current bland options? We also need a lighter skin tone as the changes have the colors off. The Borg Infected skin ton no longer looks as blue as it once did. The spray tan look may be good for summer but not winter. :P
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Very nice, it would be great for some numbers to go along with those slider settings so we can recreate looks easier as copying attires does not always work correctly when loading a characters look if it's another race.

I have seen several people bring this up recently. I, myself, have suggested it before. I think we need to be more specific about what we want.

Raw values, not percentages

Many sliders allow for a greater range of values on aliens than on human-like characters. A slider setting of 50% on an alien character does not necessarily correspond to a slider setting of 50% on a human-like character. The raw values are different. To create human proportions for alien characters, we require access to the raw values.

Edit in addition to view

The sliders do not allow for fine control. We should be able to edit the raw values in addition to view them. There are two ways to achieve this.

Text boxes: Put a text box next to each slider so that we can edit the raw value. Note that the UI programmers should take care to implement the text boxes properly. Some text boxes in the game have trouble recognizing updates. For example, try to edit the withdrawal limits in the fleet bank or the messages of the day for the fleet holdings.

Text files: Allow us to save costume settings to and load costume settings from text files. We already have a similar feature for keybinds and UI settings.

It is also possible to implement both text boxes and text files.

I think both values should be shown. The raw value should be shown next to the height slider, and the actual height should be shown next to the character.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2014
    Type-in values are an interesting request but would require more work to address in this pass, but certainly something for us to consider later.

A better set-up for templates or copying and pasting proportions from character to character would be fantastic. As you could probably guess, also something out of scope for now, but definitely desirable.

As for changes to the UI layout (namely the head presets being in an awkward position), we have heard the feedback, but aren't getting UI dev time for the moment. The changes thus far (including the slider subheadings) have all been handled by the character team.

Also thanks for specific comments about species and body sliders. We may not get to them right away, but it's good to have them mentioned.

In other update news, we did some creative problem solving and you'll soon be able to decrease the appearance of the bust size with a newly added "Chest Depth" Slider.

It's not perfect, but without getting too technical, we have it go about as small as it can without it looking too distorted. Hopefully it will be received well.

As always, don't hesitate to give us feedback when you get your hands on the new changes.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Type-in values are an interesting request but would require more work to address in this pass, but certainly something for us to consider later.

A better set-up for templates or copying and pasting proportions from character to character would be fantastic. As you could probably guess, also something out of scope for now, but definitely desirable.

As for changes to the UI layout (namely the head presets being in an awkward position), we have heard the feedback, but aren't getting UI dev time for the moment. The changes thus far (including the slider subheadings) have all been handled by the character team.

Also thanks for specific comments about species and body sliders. We may not get to them right away, but it's good to have them mentioned.

In other update news, we did some creative problem solving and you'll soon be able to decrease the appearance of the bust size with a newly added "Chest Depth" Slider.

It's not perfect, but without getting too technical, we have it go about as small as it can without it looking too distorted. Hopefully it will be received well.

As always, don't hesitate to give us feedback when you get your hands on the new changes.
    Thank you for keeping us updated, mister. Can't wait to see the changes on Tribble! It's good to hear feedback from the developper team, and certainly feels good to know that suggesdtions from us do not end up somewhere in the black hole. :)
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Thanks for all the hard work! Glad to see some improvements to an already amazing character creation system.

I know that some people have already asked for more complexion type things, which would be great. I was wondering if it might be possible to break the "age" texture maps out to overlay on top of the existing complexions, similar to the way tattoos and scars work now. This would allow for even more diversity in my opinion.

On a separate note, I'd love to see some of the non-human races get some more diverse facial appearance as well. My Klingon BOFF has no real facial options, and the Ferengi really need some help there too.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ...A better set-up for templates or copying and pasting proportions from character to character would be fantastic. As you could probably guess, also something out of scope for now, but definitely desirable.

As for changes to the UI layout (namely the head presets being in an awkward position), we have heard the feedback, but aren't getting UI dev time for the moment...

In other update news, we did some creative problem solving and you'll soon be able to decrease the appearance of the bust size with a newly added "Chest Depth" Slider...
    You guys are the regular "Engineer Scott" Miracle Working, making do with "nothing".

Thanks! :D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Sweet! You guys rock!