Install Arc
Options

To Lifetime subs... worth it?

124»

Comments

• Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Seeing as how I bought my LT sub before launch, yeah...it's been more than worth it for me. As of right now? Probably not. It would probably be a better use of money to sub, create a bunch of characters with the max number of slots you get, level one to max, then cancel. Then take that same amount of money you would have spent on the LT sub(minus however long you subbed for) and buy that much zen. I think that would get you more bang for your buck at this point. Especially during a promotion where zen is discounted.

+1 to ya Nagus. I think that way too.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Seeing as how I bought my LT sub before launch, yeah...it's been more than worth it for me. As of right now? Probably not. It would probably be a better use of money to sub, create a bunch of characters with the max number of slots you get, level one to max, then cancel. Then take that same amount of money you would have spent on the LT sub(minus however long you subbed for) and buy that much zen. I think that would get you more bang for your buck at this point. Especially during a promotion where zen is discounted.

Same here. The Liberated Borg race was a nice perk, but it was not the main reason to get it. It was either spend $240 to get the LTS or spend far more than that doing the monthly subscription. If I was to purchase the LTS now, then I would have serious second thoughts about purchasing it instead of the five second choice that it was back then since being a subscriber in STO sucks compared to other MMOs.
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I got the LTM last summer during the sale, the only thing I regret was not buying it in an earlier sale. :D The neat thing about it is that it's a one-off thing and you get all the benefits of gold without shelling out every month.

That said you're better off waiting for the sale since it means the sub will pay for itself MUCH sooner :cool:
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I bought my LTS during a sale a year or two back.

Never regretted it for a moment as the 500 Zen a month stipend is useful, the Captain's Yaht provides free shuttles to all three factions. (Though I did upgrade to a Delta Flyer for my Feds, my KDFs and Romulans do use their Yahts.)

The unique Android BOFF is a nice little addition as an away team member with the nice "reboot" trait it has.

Can't complain at all.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    thetanine wrote: »
    +1 to ya Nagus. I think that way too.

+2 to that way of thought. :cool:
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Since the question is phrased as do I as a lifer think the sub is worth it.

For me, yes.
    I like this game and I do want to support it. I like the little effects I get, extra tokens and the like that were kinda defeated eventually. But I get an android on any toon I create at level 5 (Post faction choice for RR) a vet destroyer, playable borg. All kinda fun.

What sells it for me is the no monthly bill. This lets me be flexible with where I spend my money and means I can keep a subscription to something else going. Or have money to put into the toys in the game then just paying for additional access. If you have the money laying around or will. (I turned Christmas money into my lifer.) And like it that much, go for it. If you think that is too much money for one lumps sum spending. Then don't.

For each person that enjoys something another person will regret it.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    chalpen wrote: »
    It isn't worth it and cryptic should get rid of them and go the neverwinter model.
    I bought my lifetime sub before release and it has more then tripled in value. But by sheer weight of numbers (and not saying that sto isn't a good game) do you see it lasting another 4 1/2 years.
    I will not buy another PC. Nobody buys pc's anymore

That being said a "pack" of benefits per expansion would be awesome. (Like neverwinter) is a good idea

mmm didn't drop 3k on my self build gaming tower/rig because PC's are dead. PC gaming is better than ever before.
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    chalpen wrote: »
    You don't seem to realize that nobody is buying laptop and pcs. So there is less of a market as time goes on.
    It doesn't matter how "free to play" it is. Nobody is going to buy a laptop to try a free game.
    So the market that cryptic is looking at is getting smaller every year in favour of tablets

I think your thinking of the market that sells the general public crappy dells and hp's. Yes that will die. But the PC gaming market will continue to get better. Tablets suck for gaming and no self respecting gamer would spend their time on such junk.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    scarling wrote: »
    I think your thinking of the market that sells the general public crappy dells and hp's. Yes that will die. But the PC gaming market will continue to get better. Tablets suck for gaming and no self respecting gamer would spend their time on such junk.

Curiosity, but what is wrong with HP's? I buy them straight from the factory built to my specs. They last for years and are versatile.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    jkersjkers Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've enjoyed my LTS...and I feel its worth it if you will be playing for at least a year or two. Most of the perks are nice to have too!!