test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Life is Just a Game

starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Ten Forward
There is the theory that eventually we will be able to create a simulation that can perfectly mimic people's actions and thoughts. If we could create such an elaborate simulation, then it implies that the universe could be merely a simulation. If the universe is merely a game and we are merely npcs, then what do you think are its best feature, worst feature, and bugs?
Post edited by starkaos on

Comments

• Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    There is the theory that eventually we will be able to create a simulation that can perfectly mimic people's actions and thoughts. If we could create such an elaborate simulation, then it implies that the universe could be merely a simulation. If the universe is merely a game and we are merely npcs, then what do you think are its best feature, worst feature, and bugs?

If the universe is merely a simulation, then what would change? All of the issues we currently have would still exist. Nothing would be solved.

Even in the unlikelihood of it being proven, it would only lead to more questions. Questions that could not be answered as a result of reality being a simulation.

Even if we were puppets who could see our own strings, but not the force controlling those strings, it would not change the fact we are still puppets.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    If the universe is merely a simulation, then what would change? All of the issues we currently have would still exist. Nothing would be solved.

Even in the unlikelihood of it being proven, it would only lead to more questions. Questions that could not be answered as a result of reality being a simulation.

Even if we were puppets who could see our own strings, but not the force controlling those strings, it would not change the fact we are still puppets.

Missed the point of the exercise. The point is to list the best feature, worst feature, and bugs encountered while playing the MMO of Life.
  • Options
    kuntelkuntel Member Posts: 16,484 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Missed the point of the exercise. The point is to list the best feature, worst feature, and bugs encountered while playing the MMO of Life.
    Shhh, just ignore Iconians. He's a negative philosopher that wants everyone to realise how smart he is and then accept everything he says as truth...
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Best feature: Ice Cream
    Worst Feature: Herpes
    Bugs: Lagging into the wall in the dark

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    kuntelkuntel Member Posts: 16,484 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Best feature: Peoples ability to find the small things in life and enjoy them
    Worst feature: People who can't and want to let everyone know
    Bugs: When I try to talk sometimes, the game lags and reverts to my base language of gibberish
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited May 2014
    Life is just a game.

Milton Bradley would agree with that.
  • Options
    khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    We are a simulation inside a simulation creating our own simulation that also eventually creates a simulation.
  • Options
    jdskjflkjdfklsjfjdskjflkjdfklsjf Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Go to jail.Go directly to jail.Do not pass go,do not collect $200.

This game sucks.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Best feature: Its size. It launched with massive amounts of content, always something to see and do or go explore so no one should ever get bored.

Worst feature: the Death penalty is a way too harsh. its worse than EVE's.

Bugs. Human AI is broken. seriously some of the NPC's just do stupid things all the time.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    momma always told me life is like a box of chocolates :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    lucid5lucid5 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    "And for everyone who thinks that life is just a game...do you like the part you're playing?" - Arthur Lee (Love - You Set the Scene)
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Really awesome graphics and UI.
    Lack of a respawn option* and save game.
    Grindy and sometimes predictable.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Oh, sorry. Thought the topic was more about the theory over whether or not the universe is a simulation.

Best Features: Love, charity, generosity, and the graphics.

Worst Features: Other players.
    kuntel wrote: »
    Shhh, just ignore Iconians. He's a negative philosopher that wants everyone to realise how smart he is and then accept everything he says as truth...

Actually I just like sharing my opinion, but that's nice of you to say that I'm smart. You're very kind.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I wear glasses because apparently my resolution, texture, and anti-aliasing settings are off. Does anyone know how to access the graphics settings in Life? Seriously, I don't want to have to keep using third party mods just to be able to play.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I wear glasses because apparently my resolution, texture, and anti-aliasing settings are off. Does anyone know how to access the graphics settings in Life? Seriously, I don't want to have to keep using third party mods just to be able to play.

Sometimes the third-party mods are actually better than what the developer was able to come up with.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Would it change anything..?

We're born, we live, we die, lights out...

It really dosen't matter, because once we are gone, we are gone and nothing changes because of it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Bankers are OP, plz nerf.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Oh, sorry. Thought the topic was more about the theory over whether or not the universe is a simulation.

Best Features: Love, charity, generosity, and the graphics.

Worst Features: Other players.

Actually I just like sharing my opinion, but that's nice of you to say that I'm smart. You're very kind.

No problem. Discussing whether the universe is a simulation is too close to religious discussion. So the discussion could get nasty as most religious and political discussions usually get nasty.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2014

RL is OP, plz nerf.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Best Feature: Lots of Freedom
    Worst Feature: Other people have lots of freedom
    Bug: Too much difference between starting zones. Someone starts off as part of a rich family with numerous options available to them while someone else starts off with a very poor family where they don't get fed some days and will most likely not even reach level 5.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    worst is when u get stuck between two unnatrually intersecting plains on someone's front yard and you blink back and forth
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well this game pretty much sucks, where's the reset button?
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014

that there is a pile of crock if ever i read such a thing.

we have no idea if we are just observers in a body, hearing the current thoughts of this person, feeling what he or she feels. humans like any other animal is a biological computer with its own designated functions with a life expectancy, maintenance tasks, and a task to do. when sometime hit it hard in the wrong place the computer switches off never to come back on again.

our thought processes are so primitive that we cant even consider the possibility that whatever we see through these eyes is just a simulation and when the body in this simulation dies we come back to our own body and mind outside the computer image as real as it may have looked and felt. how would we know?

then there is the religious question, do people who believe in dieties and rules in a book reject the idea of heaven or hell, for the more surreal idea we are not really dead, just observers?

anyways, for me the biggest bug i have had for the past 2 decades and a alf is nothing but rotten luck, i think the prediction calculator is wrong and has been for years.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Go to jail.Go directly to jail.Do not pass go,do not collect $200.

This game sucks.

That's not Life; that's Monopoly. :P
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Really awesome graphics and UI.
    Lack of a respawn option* and save game.
    Grindy and sometimes predictable.

No respec either. Also it has this faction called "Police" that tends to frown upon PvP that doesn't involve them (though some of us actually consider that a positive feature).

On the plus side, at least you don't have to "refine" your currency before using it, much less have limits on how much you can refine per day.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014