test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is there no Odessey in ESD?

jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Federation Discussion
Now, yes, I am perfectly aware of the odessey flying around outside, but why isn't there ne in the Shipyard?
Now, apparently, the Odessey is the most advanced ship in Starfleet, so wouldn't it make sense to have one in there?
Just my 2 EC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jmaster29 on

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    Now, yes, I am perfectly aware of the odessey flying around outside, but why isn't there ne in the Shipyard?
    Now, apparently, the Odessey is the most advanced ship in Starfleet, so wouldn't it make sense to have one in there?
    Just my 2 EC

I think Taco said its because the Oddy is too big to fit through the entry door.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    saeynsaeyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    One orbits the station. Take a look out the window and see.
  • Options
    ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    saeyn wrote: »

Op said he is aware of the one orbiting the station, you need to read more carefully...

Anyways, i agree. The Odyssey is THE 25th century FED ship and i'd like to see one somewhere in there (and you would expct it to be designed to fit into the docking bay :P)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    I think Taco said its because the Oddy is too big to fit through the entry door.

Hang on, the most advanced ship in Starfleet can't fit through the door? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    saeyn wrote: »

Maybe you can read what I said?
    Now, yes, I am perfectly aware of the Odessey flying around outside

Next time, read before posting
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    outlaw51825outlaw51825 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ltdata96 wrote: »
    Op said he is aware of the one orbiting the station, you need to read more carefully...

Anyways, i agree. The Odyssey is THE 25th century FED ship and i'd like to see one somewhere in there (and you would expct it to be designed to fit into the docking bay :P)

Actually not so much. As large as the starbase is depending on the length and width it can exceed spacedock parameters. You may have noticed during TNG that the enterprise D actually as big as it was for its time was a pretty tight fit getting in there. The Oddy is a MONSTER of a ship remember.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Hang on, the most advanced ship in Starfleet can't fit through the door? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4

Spacedock is roughly a century and a half old and built for ships of that era like the Constitution-class. See here the relevant scene from ST3, where just getting the Ent-Nil in is a fairly tight fit.

The scene that showed the Enterprise-D entering Spacedock was modified stock footage from ST3, and badly scaled, since the Galaxy-class is half-again as wide as the Connie is long. The Odyssey-class is of a similar width to the GCS and roughly a kilometer long.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Spacedock is roughly a century and a half old and built for ships of that era like the Constitution-class. See here the relevant scene from ST3, where just getting the Ent-Nil in is a fairly tight fit.

The scene that showed the Enterprise-D entering Spacedock was modified stock footage from ST3, and badly scaled, since the Galaxy-class is half-again as wide as the Connie is long. The Odyssey-class is of a similar width to the GCS and roughly a kilometer long.

Yes, but that's assuming they haven't upgraded Spacedocks shipyards. I mean, most ships are bigger than the Constitution, so they probably upgraded it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yes, but that's assuming they haven't upgraded Spacedocks shipyards. I mean, most ships are bigger than the Constitution, so they probably upgraded it.

That would have entailed ripping out a considerable portion of the structure at great expense, and rather pointlessly considering that there are any number of other docks in the Sol system that can accommodate Starfleet's biggest ships, ships that are few and far between lore-wise. McKinley Station, for example, can easily fit a GCS, as can the various orbital drydocks near ESD. And let's not forget that most of those ships were built at Utopia Planitia. Real shipyards don't just build ships, they also do upgrades, overhauls, and maintenance.

Also remember, most Starfleet vessels aren't nearly as big as an Oddy, Sov, or GCS. Starfleet's workhorses are smaller, cheaper ships like the Excelsior, Miranda, or in 2409, the Excalibur-class (which is Connie-size).
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    chrisbrown12009chrisbrown12009 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    yea....because putting bigger door on the bloody thing when you rebuilt it after the undine attack would be dumb......

-_-
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    That would have entailed ripping out a considerable portion of the structure at great expense, and rather pointlessly considering that there are any number of other docks in the Sol system that can accommodate Starfleet's biggest ships, ships that are few and far between lore-wise. McKinley Station, for example, can easily fit a GCS, as can the various orbital drydocks near ESD. And let's not forget that most of those ships were built at Utopia Planitia. Real shipyards don't just build ships, they also do upgrades, overhauls, and maintenance.

Also remember, most Starfleet vessels aren't nearly as big as an Oddy, Sov, or GCS. Starfleet's workhorses are smaller, cheaper ships like the Excelsior, Miranda, or in 2409, the Excalibur-class (which is Connie-size).

Yes, but they'd still have doors to fit larger ships.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yes, but they'd still have doors to fit larger ships.

In real life, people don't do things for the hell of it. They have to serve a purpose, and the purpose that would be served by the massive construction project you are proposing is already abundantly served by other installations within the system. They can just add capacity onto Utopia Planitia if need be, and much more cheaply.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    saeynsaeyn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Maybe you can read what I said?

Next time, read before posting

Good lord dude cool your effing jets, I was tired and didn't see it.
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    yea....because putting bigger door on the bloody thing when you rebuilt it after the undine attack would be dumb......

-_-
    Well yeah, those sections of the starbase weren't really damaged, the doors at least.
  • Options
    jacqueline3752jacqueline3752 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    widening the door wouldn't be that hard and would have been started when the building of the Odyssey started.

oh and in time of war and first few years in the post war the new Odyssey would have been rush out the door as fast as passbla and repairs would been done at starbase closer to the battleline.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    widening the door wouldn't be that hard and would have been started when the building of the Odyssey started.
    Why? Because you say so?
    oh and in time of war and first few years in the post war the new Odyssey would have been rush out the door as fast as passbla and repairs would been done at starbase closer to the battleline.
    Right, so they logically wouldn't have done the repairs at ESD since it's nowhere near the front lines. They also don't build ships at ESD.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2014

-_-
    Aye... and if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Check me on this. But isn't Excelsior wider than the Enterprise (nil)?
    So if the Enterprise was a tight fit, wouldn't it have been impossible for the Excelsior to chase her?

And sadly I think JJ Abrams had a point when his ESD was a sprawling array of docks outside the central mushroom. That internal area should have been nothing but shuttles and small frieghters.

Precisely because bigger ships simply would not fit and it would age the station before it's time.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    Connie is 127 meters wide, Excel is about 200. So, yeah, somebody goofed.

And sadly I think JJ Abrams had a point when his ESD was a sprawling array of docks outside the central mushroom. That internal area should have been nothing but shuttles and small frieghters.

Precisely because bigger ships simply would not fit and it would age the station before it's time.

No argument here.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Odyssey doesn't dock to ESD... ESD docks to the Odyssey. :D
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2014
    Size

Excelsior class

length-467 meters
    width- 186 meters
    Height-78 meters
    weight - 243.610mt

Constitution class

length- 302 meters
    width- 131 meters
    height - 74 meters
    weight - 161.000mt

It seems cryptic got the scale a little off..........................lol
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Here's a better question. Even if you fit it in the door could it even fit in the interior of the Space dock? Space dock only has a finite amount of space and considering the fact other ships are usually in spacedock, you probably couldn't even fit the damn ship in the interior of ESD.

Forget the door, does the ship even fit in the inside so it can maneuver?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    damix4damix4 Member Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just my 2 EC

You don't need to bring every ship into ESD in order to make repairs. If odysseys start coming to ESD, there wouldn't be space for other ships. That one is too big so there are plenty of places outside to make repairs.
  • Options
    jacqueline3752jacqueline3752 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why? Because you say so?

so you are say if you trade your geo sidekick for a hummer and had a garage that is big enough to house the hummer but the door where made to fit the geo you wouldn't make the door bigger.

Right, so they logically wouldn't have done the repairs at ESD since it's nowhere near the front lines.
    so you would call ship to earth form klingon border for repairs, that can be done at K-7 :P

btw Maybe it's just on the other side in the bay
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Here's a better question. Even if you fit it in the door could it even fit in the interior of the Space dock? Space dock only has a finite amount of space and considering the fact other ships are usually in spacedock, you probably couldn't even fit the damn ship in the interior of ESD.

Forget the door, does the ship even fit in the inside so it can maneuver?

^Something I have been trying to get people, including Taco, to understand a month back.

The Oddy, even if the saucer can fit through the door, can't even move itself fully into the bay before impacting the center pillar. Neither can anything about 100m longer than the Sovereign.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx345/stardestroyer001/Star%20Trek%20Online%20Photos/Untitled-1_zps8ed07356.png

Keep in mind that the Sovereign's listed width of 356.095m is wrong, due to Taco posting incorrect numbers (he didn't resize the box, or something. Idk, I'm not a modelmaker). He said it should be around 245 meters.

In fact, since the Regent is significantly longer than the Sovereign, even it shouldn't be in the bay, since it would either skim the bottom of the door frame, or impact the center pillar.

Obviously, Taco disregarded this and stuck it in there anyway.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Apparently the Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier is the most advanced carrier in the U.S. surface fleet, so why isn't there one docked in a New York harbor 24/7 for its entire service lifetime so that military personnel can gawk lovingly at it whenever they feel the need?

Why did you even come up with this question? What idiotic thought processes led you to decide that "Odyssey is the best, therefore it should always be in dock for me to see!!!!"?
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not sure you can really compare the TOS movie spacedock with the one we have in game. Wasn't our one created out of thin air by Q because he didn't like the original STO Earth Spacedock? Given that, it can be any size Cryptic says it is, and doesn't have to be sized to fit Constitution or Excelsior classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My Odyssey can fit through the doors (with clipping), but it's about as long as the diameter of the saucer of the station. Building bigger doors isn't going to help if the ship can't fit without crashing into the middle, or having it's nacelles hang out the door.

It makes much more sense if it's stationed at ESD, to orbit the station and beam required crew over. Just like the U.S.S. Odyssey does funnily enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

-_-

Instead of that they were smart.
    Instead of that they did put smaller doors on that bloody thing.
    Considering that the odysee did very well fit in there before the attack (simply because it was in there) this must have happened.

Although... When I fly towards it with my ugly whale... It seems like it would still very much fit through the doors.

So if the Enterprise was a tight fit, wouldn't it have been impossible for the Excelsior to chase her?

I'd raise the point and question: what's to point of putting the big ships in there in the first place? Protection from rain?
    Can't be repairs or refits. Because for all we know from the series the installation inside are not better fitted for that then open space, unlike the docking things in utopia planitia or McKinley. There is nothing giving better access to the hull or anything in the mushroom dock.
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I guess you can attempt to wing it by rotating the ship 45 degrees to the side.

Or deal with this everytime.
    http://youtu.be/hthl28SEGfk?t=2m29s
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]