test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Been wearing the Oddy since it came out! :):):)

jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Im so so happy with the new npc uniforms. I have been wearing that exact uniform and color from fleet day one unlock. Even the split tng pants!
Post edited by jtmarsh on

Comments

• Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I know, I had no idea they did that. I got the oddy a week before S9 and thought "The white's okay, but...." And I did the TNG Movie style gray, department piping, then on the last night before S9 I noticed they all had that same variant. I squeed like a girl xD It really is the better uniform design imo. Nice tribute to the TNG Movie/DS9 Late Uniforms.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Every NPC needs to be in the Oddy. No questions.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    Every NPC needs to be in the Oddy. No questions.

Eventually.

We're going to start updating some of the other NPCs throughout the game to the new standard Uniform. But it's a process, and will take some time.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Eventually.

We're going to start updating some of the other NPCs throughout the game to the new standard Uniform. But it's a process, and will take some time.

Is this going to include the NPC's on our ships as well? I personally would rather set my ships crew to the uniforms I have on my captain and bofffs - how do-a-ble is this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Eventually.

Are we sure we want to make a uniform that's locked away in the fleet system the "standard" uniform? If it's not available to players at start, how can it be the standard?
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,460 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    wildmousex wrote: »
    Is this going to include the NPC's on our ships as well? I personally would rather set my ships crew to the uniforms I have on my captain and bofffs - how do-a-ble is this?

^^^ THIS right here
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Eventually.

Take your time, it's worth the wait. This is the new standard that we should have had over the Sierra 1 imo.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    wildmousex wrote: »

I think that's a big job, but one I'd love to see them tackle.

Remember, to implement the system, we'd actually need to be able to assign no less than six different uniforms to our crew: male/female versions of tactical/command, engineering/ops, and science/medical.

And that's just the minimum...some players would likely want to be able to separate science from medical, and so on.

To say nothing of the issues with the KDF and all their species specific outfits...

Long story short, I think it'll be a while before we ever see it happen...but I hope it does.

Edit: Regarding NPCs, I'd also be open to each station/outpost having its own unique uniform, which all personnel on that station wear.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    That's why I went with the Medical and Science variant colors on my uniforms. But yeah would be nice to see our ship npc's wearing them.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Are we sure we want to make a uniform that's locked away in the fleet system the "standard" uniform? If it's not available to players at start, how can it be the standard?

I have the same question. I don't have the time to commit to a fleet at the moment, nor to gathering the necessary things to acquire the uniform. Personally I love the design, but I find it somewhat odd that they'd pick something that new players are going to see and not be able to get to for a while without some work. I'd have expected to see something that was granted for free during the tutorial, after you "graduate" from the academy.

But I do applaud and support the drive towards a uniform look. It feels more like Trek even if I feel like a hobo not wearing the uniform.
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

+1

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter, good sir.

(I know I would not like to see EVERY starfleet npc out there wearing a better uniform than I have access to. ESD and a few other specific key locations may be a good place to showcase this unlockable uniform as a reminder of something that can be worked towards, but not on everyone everywhere except you.)

EDIT: Not saying it's not a snazzy uniform (it is!), but as an unlockable (that isn't very easy to unlock <grumble grumble small fleets grumble>), I don't think it should be standard everywhere
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I have the same question. I don't have the time to commit to a fleet at the moment, nor to gathering the necessary things to acquire the uniform. Personally I love the design, but I find it somewhat odd that they'd pick something that new players are going to see and not be able to get to for a while without some work. I'd have expected to see something that was granted for free during the tutorial, after you "graduate" from the academy.

You get to create a custom uniform when you create your character, before you even play the tutorial.

So the "standard" uniform for new players is the Academy uniform, after which you get to wear the uniform of your choosing because you're in command of your own ship.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    You get to create a custom uniform when you create your character, before you even play the tutorial.

So the "standard" uniform for new players is the Academy uniform, after which you get to wear the uniform of your choosing because you're in command of your own ship.

The ESD/Odyssey uniform is not the Starfleet Academy Uniform. It can only be worn by players who purchase it from a Tier 3 Fleet Starbase with the Tailor unlocked.

The SFA Uniform still has to be purchased through the C-Store in order for players to wear it outside the tutorial.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The ESD/Odyssey uniform is not the Starfleet Academy Uniform. It can only be worn by players who purchase it from a Tier 3 Fleet Starbase with the Tailor unlocked.

The SFA Uniform still has to be purchased through the C-Store in order for players to wear it outside the tutorial.

I understand that. All I'm saying is, players are given a "generic" (Academy) uniform for the tutorial, and are then free to create a custom uniform, which is unlikely to change.

It's true that they won't be able to access the Odyssey uniform, but they will be able to wear whatever they want.

If we're talking about what other uniforms would be good "default" uniforms for NPCs, I would suggest Sierra 1.
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The only reason I don't think this applies to the Academy uniform is that you are no longer a cadet by the end of the tutorial (and therefore the Academy uniform would be a non-standard uniform for you.)

Having the odyssey uniform be the standard uniform would be like requiring a Tier 3 starbase to unlock the Romulan Republic uniform. Having a uniform be both standard and exclusive seems like a contradiction.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The only reason I don't think this applies to the Academy uniform is that you are no longer a cadet by the end of the tutorial (and therefore the Academy uniform would be a non-standard uniform for you.)

Right. But you've already chosen your "preferred" uniform before you even began the tutorial, so the game naturally puts you into that instead.
  • Options
    skyywalk3rskyywalk3r Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thanks Tacofangs for making the Odyssey Uniform the standard for Starfleet!!!! It really gives the game that "Trek" feel.

Are there any plans to make the admiral variant of the Odyssey available? The one Admiral Quinn is wearing? I must have it!!!!! Please!!!!!! :D

Thanks in advance :D

I was wearing the Odyssey uniform before it was cool :cool:
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Eventually.

I noticed lots of really cool variation. Any chance we could get a breakdown as to what each uniform signifies?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I noticed lots of really cool variation. Any chance we could get a breakdown as to what each uniform signifies?

At a glance, it seems to follow the classic Command (Tactical in STO) red, Engineering/Operations yellow, and Science/Medical blue schemes, with a unique uniform with red shoulders for the security guards posted at various entrances.

Are there any other variants I missed?
  • Options
    millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Eventually.

I'm personally a little hesitant at the idea of this uniform replacing *all* Starfleet NPC uniforms.

Why? In no particular order, I suppose one reason is that it's locked behind tier 3 starbases. You *can* be invited into one and freely purchase it with the proper permissions, but still.

Another reason is that we have an in-game reason for having the wide variety of uniforms we do now, being the relaxed uniform regulations. In a way, this sort of fits with established Trek material in how different ships and outposts have utilized different mission patches, uniforms, and etc. So with that in mind, I feel it'd be more appropriate that not *all* Starfleet crews be constrained to one uniform and continue to kind of mirror player crews (reasonably-dressed captains and BOffs, at least) in how they're attired by assignment. We already have so many uniform options, may as well use them for different assignments, no?

Lastly, there's still Odyssey uniform parts we apparently don't yet have access to (this goes for the KDF fleet starbase uniform too). The most obvious being the new belt all the NPCs are wearing, but more's suggested elsewhere. This includes the possible open jacket version certain art portrays, as well as some sort of skirt I thought I heard about. The question formed from this is: "will we get these parts, currently-ingame or otherwise, and will we have access to them whether we're in a fleet or not still?"

All that being said, I do think it makes the ESD crew look rather snazzy. =P
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Eventually.

:D:D:D:D

Now THIS is what I want to hear!!!!!
  • Options
    admiralcarteradmiralcarter Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Eventually.

Thats great. Does it include the NPC's on our ships aswell?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Star Trek Online Intro HD [3rd Fleet Anniversary]

• Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've been using the Odyssey uniform myself for a while, and now I've made it (and my boffs) look more like the new Spacedock colours. :)

Though I wish I could get the belt that the NPCs have. And maybe an Admiral variant like that worn by Admiral Quinn.

My suggestion though would be if this is becoming the standard Starfleet uniform, it should probably be made available to people outside of fleets. Maybe just make the Admiral variant locked behind a fleet. My opinion on that anyway.
  • Options
    mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

But I do applaud and support the drive towards a uniform look. It feels more like Trek even if I feel like a hobo not wearing the uniform.

There is a chat channel call "NoP Public Service" where you can request an invite to a Fleet which the Starbase Tailor unlocked.

If you want the uniform, it is 16,000 Dilithium and 8,000 Fleet Credits. It doesn't require provisions and you dont have to be a member of that fleet to purchase it.

If you want, please shoot me a PM with your game @handle and I will send an invitation to our Starbase for you to purchase it.

FYI - Covenant of Honor is a T4 Starbase (with T4 Shipyard, T4 Comm Array, and working on T4 Eng upgrade now). We also have a complete T3 Embassy and Mine with both of those Tailors unlocked as well.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    At a glance, it seems to follow the classic Command (Tactical in STO) red, Engineering/Operations yellow, and Science/Medical blue schemes, with a unique uniform with red shoulders for the security guards posted at various entrances.

Are there any other variants I missed?

Some use a black scheme, some use gray. CMO has their own uniform.
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Eventually.

Is it possible to update the "Player" Odyssey Uniform, to include the rank-colored cuffs (bottom of the sleeves), as well as the "Odyssey Belt" ? Currently using Jupiter Veteran on my uniform.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    millybun wrote: »
    I'm personally a little hesitant at the idea of this uniform replacing *all* Starfleet NPC uniforms.

Why? In no particular order, I suppose one reason is that it's locked behind tier 3 starbases. You *can* be invited into one and freely purchase it with the proper permissions, but still.

If they ever finish the Odyssey variant uniforms, I'd be fine with the Ody being supplied to all players if the folks who bought the fleet unlock get one of the variants.
  • Options
    darknessmutadarknessmuta Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thomasthecat posted on his twitter that he is working on the 2410 Starfleet Uniform Code that will have all the info on the Odyssey uniform colors so we can match the new cannon colors exactly. He did post this though "White shoulders are for captains. Gray shoulders for normal officers. Should be a dev blog by end of week."

I hope this also includes some info about things like the belt that is not something I think players have access to in the game as I know my Odyssey outfit did not come with it since it's only a 3 piece set with top, pants and boots.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Thomasthecat posted on his twitter that he is working on the 2410 Starfleet Uniform Code that will have all the info on the Odyssey uniform colors so we can match the new cannon colors exactly. He did post this though "White shoulders are for captains. Gray shoulders for normal officers. Should be a dev blog by end of week."

I hope this also includes some info about things like the belt that is not something I think players have access to in the game as I know my Odyssey outfit did not come with it since it's only a 3 piece set with top, pants and boots.

Ooh. Handy. Thanks!
  • Options
    jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    skyywalk3r wrote: »
    Thanks Tacofangs for making the Odyssey Uniform the standard for Starfleet!!!! It really gives the game that "Trek" feel.

Are there any plans to make the admiral variant of the Odyssey available? The one Admiral Quinn is wearing? I must have it!!!!! Please!!!!!! :D

Thanks in advance :D

I was wearing the Odyssey uniform before it was cool :cool:

Yes please. :D
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.