test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best and Worst Star Trek Movie?

grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Ten Forward
Which Star Trek movie do you think was the best and which one was the worst. There are so many bad ones it is hard to tell.

I think the best was The Motion Picture because it was intelligently written and had intelligent science fiction, not just a typical Hollywood style movie. But unfortunately it was too intelligent for the audience so they so called nerfed star trek. The movie actually followed the traditional style of Star trek too.

The worst in my opinion was The Undiscovered Country. General Chang ruined it for me with his annoying Skakesphere quotes.
say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
Post edited by grandnaguszek1 on

Comments

• revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Which Star Trek movie do you think was the best and which one was the worst. There are so many bad ones it is hard to tell.

I think the best was The Motion Picture because it was intelligently written and had intelligent science fiction, not just a typical Hollywood style movie. But unfortunately it was too intelligent for the audience so they so called nerfed star trek. The movie actually followed the traditional style of Star trek too.

The worst in my opinion was The Undiscovered Country. General Chang ruined it for me with his annoying Skakesphere quotes.

Well while I agree with you that tmp was great, I don't get your dislike for st6. After all that was (unlike so many) quiet intelligent sci fi.

After all, undiscovered country is my favorite,

Least favorite...
    Generations. That movie didn't have bad writing, it had no writing. It had no direction. It had no plot.
    The only thing it had was original actors and a TNG feeling that other tng movies didn't have.

But this is only my least favorite st movie because I do not consider the jar jar movies st movies. The 2009 film had the exact same problems generations had, minus the perks. And it was even more stupid...
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Best.. for me, maybe First Contact, or Wrath Of Khan.

The worst, of course Insurrection or Nemesis. There is a big difference between the "quality" of these two and the other ones... lol.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Generations. That movie didn't have bad writing, it had no writing. It had no direction. It had no plot.
    The only thing it had was original actors and a TNG feeling that other tng movies didn't have.

Generations is far better than a few... honestly. It doesnt have a crappy writting. Just a plain one. Like millions of sci movies out there. Insurrection of Nemesis were really far worst than Generations.. lol.
  • oraxisonarisoraxisonaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's impossible for me to pick just one, so...

For an action packed yet tense movie, The Wrath of Khan is easily the best. On the other hand, if you want a more suspenseful political thriller, Undiscovered Country is beautiful. TMP is fantastic as a story driven piece if you can look past the attempts to mimic 2001: A Space Odyssey. If you want a Star Trek Movie that managed to pull off humor, then The Journey Home is fantastic.

However, ST V was purely dreadful. For the life of me, I can't think of any redeeming qualities.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    The best were UC, FC, or ID the worst was TMP or FF.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ST VI and VIII are my personal favorites while I consider ST V to be the worst.
    "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
    - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
    q4F10XV.jpg
    ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
  • theroyalfamilytheroyalfamily Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    2>6>4>3>8>>>>7>1>>>>9>11>10>5=12

or, for those that can't figure out numbers:

WoK>TUC>TVH>SfS>FC>>>>Gen>TMP>>>>Ins>ST'09>Nem>TFF

(">" means "greater than)
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Best: First Contact.
    Honorable Mention: Wrath of Khan.

Worst: Nemesis.
    Honorable Mention: The Motion Picture.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Best: Wrath of Khan
    Worst: Nemesis

Yes, Nemesis was worse (imho) than The Final Frontier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYW_lPlekiQ

That scene snippet from TFF was better than all of Nemesis combined...lol.

edit: Personal full list (even including JJ's summer action series)...

1) The Wrath of Khan
    2) The Motion Picture
    3) Generations
    4) The Voyage Home
    5) The Search for Spock
    6) The Undiscovered Country
    7) The Final Frontier
    8) Star Trek (2009)
    9) First Contact
    10) Into Darkness
    11) Insurrection
    12) Nemesis
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Best (as in what actually defines what Star Trek really is) TMP
    Best (personal) GEN it was the first Trek movie that I seened in the theatres and so it was more sentimental
    Best (Villian) Nero, in my opinion, i felt he had more justification than any other villians beside Kruge (who was more Kirk's Klingon counterpart than a villlian)

Worst NEM because the movie was hyped as the fan's film and the epic last voyage of the TNG crew. However, if you read the movie novelization, it was a good story, but the movie execution was terrible.
    Worst Villian Rua'fo as Picard said, the UFP got pulled into a minor blood feud, especially in the when the UFP was fighting to save itself during the Dominion War
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For me, the best is Insurrection, followed by Generations and TUC.

The worst, for me, is TMP. I'm one of the few who actually liked ST5.
    edited April 2014
    Generations is far better than a few... honestly. It doesnt have a crappy writting. Just a plain one. Like millions of sci movies out there. Insurrection of Nemesis were really far worst than Generations.. lol.

Sorry, but no. They are not.
    Both films were poorly written and inconsistent, not saying they are good in any way.
    But while failing to deliver, both HAD something to deliver. They had a plot.

Generations were just a kitbash of "stuff we want in the movie"
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Phantom Menace.

Is this thing on?

I'm here all night.
    giphy.gif
    edited April 2014
    Insurrection is not a bad movie!
    edited April 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Insurrection is not a bad movie!

Bad's too kind. Insurrection's only saving grace was just how bad Nemesis was.
    edited April 2014
    Bad's too kind. Insurrection's only saving grace was just how bad Nemesis was.

IMO, Insurrection was the best Star Trek film. It was a nice philosophical story with great character development, if you ask me.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    1) Star Trek: Into Darkness / Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Depends on my mood that day)
    2) Star Trek: First Contact
    3) Star Trek (2009)
    4) Star Trek: TMP (The Directors Cut version)
    5) Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
    6) Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    7) Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    8) Star Trek Generations
    9) Star Trek: Nemesis
    10) Star Trek V: The Final Frontier / Star Trek: Insurrection (Tie for Worst/Last Place)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited April 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    IMO, Insurrection was the best Star Trek film. It was a nice philosophical story with great character development, if you ask me.

Well, not best. But I wholly agree with the sentiment.
    edited April 2014

The premise was great...the movie not so much. Even Frakes wasn't happy with the script.
    edited April 2014
    Insurrection's only saving grace was just how bad Nemesis was.

Or you could just as easily say: Insurrection's only failing is just how good First Contact was.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    anything jjcrap is automatically ruled as the worst of all trek films. as for best, each film had their moments in the prime universe, so hard to say for sure, but going with a mainstream answer, first contact or khan and the latter strictly because the miranda class almost had the old connie dead to right if it wasnt for a cheap trick from kirk.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited April 2014
    anything jjcrap is automatically ruled as the worst of all trek films. as for best, each film had their moments in the prime universe, so hard to say for sure, but going with a mainstream answer, first contact or khan and the latter strictly because the miranda class almost had the old connie dead to right if it wasnt for a cheap trick from kirk.

The Enterprise's shields and weapons were down. Wasn't that sneak attack a cheap trick on Khan's part as well?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Enterprise's shields and weapons were down. Wasn't that sneak attack a cheap trick on Khan's part as well?

kirk suspected something was up before the attack happened and he failed to notice the intent, as a commander of a ship its the captains job to protect those under his command and he got lucky khan was in a gloating mood. it wasnt a sneak attack, otherwise he would have no idea where the attack came from and no chance to respond to it but just as it was he knew a dirty trick khan didnt and used it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited April 2014
    1. The undiscovered country
    2. Wrath of Khan
    3. The undiscovered country (my guilty pleasure)
    4. First contact
    5. The motion picture
    6. The voyage home (fun movie, but not what I want to see when I go watch "Star trek")
    7. search for Spock
    8. Insurrektion (into darkness if Jar jar trek counts)
    9. Nemesis
    10. Generations
    5263. Star Trek 2009 if jar jar trek counts.
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hmm, I would give an answer, but theres a curious gap in my memories, I get up to St IV, then all i can think of is VI

Its almost as if I saw something so bad I'm refusing to remember it
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited April 2014
    Good: II, VI, VIII

Bad: Abrams II followed by Abrams I
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • jacqueline3752jacqueline3752 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
    Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)

first 6 are classic movies and were best of their times so in my mind not eligible for that list.

Star Trek: Generations (1994) is a bridge bridge between old fan and younger fan.

so my Best to Worst list
    Star Trek: Star Trek (2009) had been the bast spot to start a new many season serie
    Star Trek: First Contact (1996)
    Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013) still good spot to start new many season series
    Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)
    Star Trek: Nemesis (2002) good idea that was done all wrong a good spot to start new serie build round a long cold war between federation and the romulan war with spying/ploting, small bettles and some interspecies romance
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Favourite: ST:VIII and ST:II

Honourable mention: ST:VI

Worst: There was this film made in 2009 film; biggest and most expensive fan film made to date.

[un]Honourable mention: ST:V

Some thoughts. Please don't criticize me personally, but because of my issues, I do find it hard to see other point's of view.

I certainly do not see why the 2009 fan film should be anywhere else BUT the bottom. Also, generally speaking: 2009 fan film over 2013 squeal ... err why?

Equally ... I do not see [that much of] the hate of ST:X.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • aeonthehermitaeonthehermit Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Personally, I line my rosters up by series only. so, here's my lineup.

TOS:

1: II: Wrath of Khan
    2: VI: Undiscovered Country
    3: IV: Voyage Home (Guilty pleasure factor here.)
    4: III: Search for Spock
    5: TMP
    6: V: Final Frontier

TNG

1: First Contact
    2: Generations
    3: Insurrection
    4: Nemesis (Seriously, wtf?)

Now, as for the JJ-verse movies...... Tough call, but I'm going to have to give '09 a slight edge over Into Darkness, if only because it didn't feel as 'Retreading Safe Ground' as ID did.
    Let me just say that the JJ Verse movies are not horrible.... but they are not great either.
    Both movies have slight tinges of having been made in a "safe" manner, especially in the recycling of elements from old scripts. '09 could have been great if they'd included more of the stuff from the supplementary materials in the movie, to give Nero more pathos. However, as has been noted elsewhere, you cannot get credit for something you did not put in your work and just left in your notes.
    STO in a shellnut.
    "I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst."
    -Elim Garak
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just out of curiosity here, what was wrong with The Motion Picture?
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg