test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Don't you do it Cryptic!!!

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
Don't you dare separate swimsuits into their own category! You put them right with the rest of the costumes where they belong! :mad:
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Seconded.
    Asking people to grind like mad for cosmetics restricted to a single map just isn't reasonable.
    Not when you have starfleet officers flying alien ships wearing alien armour.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, If I can't used them other then on risa, then what is the point? There is no reason to go there 11 months out of the year. Not wasting my time grinding for that.

And this is from someone who really wanted the swimwear options.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Don't you dare separate swimsuits into their own category! You put them right with the rest of the costumes where they belong! :mad:

And where did you find out about that? Another one of those spoilers? Or are you just guessing we may get swimsuits this year?

I agree with your statement though. But this theory was brought up last year during the summer. Players speculated back then that if we did have swimsuits this year, they would probably be limited to wearing only on the Risa map. The rumored reason was that Cryptic doesn't want us running around ESD in bathing suits. Also it was rumored that they planned to give us swimsuits last year but they weren't ready in time for the event, so they apparently had to reserve them for this year, that is if we actually do get them this time around.

All of this was discussed last year among the community extensively during the first ever Risa summer event.

Sadly, if Cryptic does decide to only allow us to wear swimsuits on Risa, I don't think any amount of player requests, outrage, or anything will get them to change their minds. If that's the case, then they should change it so that from now on, you can only wear winter coats in the Q's Winter Wonderland map. God knows we tried like hell to get them to keep our snowman and gingerbread men pets activated so they aren't a lifeless hunk that no longer follows us around, but their reasoning is Q is no longer around to use his "magic" to bring them to life. Stupid if you ask me. :mad:
  • Options
    claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And where did you find out about that? Another one of those spoilers? Or are you just guessing we may get swimsuits this year?
    Well when they were available on the test server on the Risa map(the risa map is now missing with no reason given), the swimwear was in a category for itself, and it was only the swimwear in that category.. no shorts from last years event.. no sandals or wrap skirts.
    Some people want to combine a few things.. me included. :D

However I agree that people shouldn't run around in swimwear everywhere.
    And word going around, that it was the only way they would be allowed to give players swimwear.. was that it was located to the themed area only.

And the speculation is why its a category for itself, is its a category that is set so your costume slot switches to something else when you leave that zone.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • Options
    ridddickxxxridddickxxx Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Me being somebody who likes customizing my character (having 14 costume slots for all my 11 characters), i want to say one thing.

I will be honest, as much i like them on my female characters,
    swimsuits should stay only on risa, it will make risa map event more special.
    Any other way 95% of female characters will wear them constantly, and the game on its logo will have to put 18+ :P
    2nhfgxf.jpg
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    We should be able to wear swimwear no matter where we are, I mean look at the chest on one of my characters, look... http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img707/8122/2b32.jpg.

That is a chest that deserves to be seen in its full glory everywhere I go, not half covered up. .:mad:
    Leave it as Risa only, seeing half naked orions with an abused boob slider played by lonely men is bad enough as it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ridddickxxxridddickxxx Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    defalus wrote: »
    We should be able to wear swimwear no matter where we are, I mean look at the chest on one of my characters, look... http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img707/8122/2b32.jpg.

That is a chest that deserves to be seen in its full glory everywhere I go, not half covered up. .:mad:

O yuck :eek:
    2nhfgxf.jpg
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    defalus wrote: »

'dat is a pretty manly chest alright.

I don't mind if the outfits are limited to Risa, but I do hope you can at least mix and match with parts like the Risa clothing from last year, and.. well I don't see any reason to not be able to mix and match with most of the tailor parts.

As for no reason to go there during the other 11 months of the year.. well I think there might be a permanent minigame being introduced this year.. [/speculation]

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Leave it as Risa only, seeing half naked orions with an abused boob slider played by lonely men is bad enough as it is.

TBF, Orion women do wear that little in the shows...
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I see no reason to limit the swimwear to any particular location. We feds already have access to several items that reveal a fair amount of flesh as it is.
    Mirror outfits? Ferengi female jackets? Open tops? The Dyson skirt? The cropped winter event jackets? All of these are accessible anywhere and aren't really "professional" looking yet I have seen no complaints about these.
    Hell, I didn't even need to mention the Orion female outfits. Not that there are many of those.

Anything that gives the KDF and Romulan players more choice when it comes to outfits is a good thing imo. So long as they can be used together and don't clip horribly or are otherwise bugged like some of the stuff currently is.

TL;DR
    Just let us have the damned outfits without restrictions as to where, when and what we can use them with.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My suggestion is, instead of whitelisting Risa (as in restricting swimwear to those whitelisted locations only), blacklist the locations where it should be restricted.

ESD, Quo'nos, Starfleet Academy are the sensible choices in my head. Force the costume to switch automatically to the first uniform whenever a player beams down using a outfit with the swimwear category, and lock down the slot while the player is inside the blacklisted location.

Everywhere else should be unrestricted, *specially* inside ships.

:rolleyes:
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    edited April 2014
    tk79 wrote: »
    My suggestion is, instead of whitelisting Risa (as in restricting swimwear to those whitelisted locations only), blacklist the locations where it should be restricted.

ESD, Quo'nos, Starfleet Academy are the sensible choices in my head. Force the costume to switch automatically to the first uniform whenever a player beams down using a outfit with the swimwear category, and lock down the slot while the player is inside the blacklisted location.

Everywhere else should be unrestricted, *specially* inside ships.

:rolleyes:

Sounds like a fair compromise.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Don't like the thought of people in swimwear fighting in the voth zone or in stfs...

But I don't really get why we get swimwear for one zone but still next to no kdf costume anyway so...
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Keep it restricted to Risa please

You can go there every month
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Keep it restricted to Risa please

Why? Why keep it restricted? I can't think of a logical reason to do so.

EDIT

Wait, I can think of 1 reason. $$$
    I need a beer.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why? Why keep it restricted? I can't think of a logical reason to do so.

EDIT

Wait, I can think of 1 reason. $$$
    Don't be disingenuous.
    No, $$$ is the reason why they would not restrict it.

The reason why it would be restricted is because ESD or DS9 should not look like they are overrun by a Swimsuit contest.

I don't really care either way, but don't pretend that it'S not obvious why almost-naked people running around everywhere in the game might bother someone. And it's not about prudishness, it's simply about just adding another step to make the game feel not really a Star Trek, of which the game has plenty already, but usually by exaggerating Trek elements (like all kinds of weird Trek ships around and all generations of uniforms).

I would of course really appreciate if they would take a look at TOS and take some inspiration from some of those costumes used there... And if they feel the need to restrict it to certain locations for PCs and NPCs, I am fine with that.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Don't be disingenuous.
    No, $$$ is the reason why they would not restrict it.
    I think you're the one being disingenuous here my friend.
    The reason why it would be restricted is because ESD or DS9 should not look like they are overrun by a Swimsuit contest.

Why not? If you're going to say "Oh, but it'll look unprofessional" then why don't you take a look at it already. It's not like people aren't wearing things like the mirror outfits already! Those are hardly "professional" looking. In fact they're rather skimpy and even so, not that many people are wearing them.

Just because something "could" happen, doesn't mean it "will" happen. Even if it did happen, it'd last all of a week after the event. It's not going to kill anyone is it?
    I don't really care either way, but don't pretend that it'S not obvious why almost-naked people running around everywhere in the game might bother someone. And it's not about prudishness, it's simply about just adding another step to make the game feel not really a Star Trek, of which the game has plenty already, but usually by exaggerating Trek elements (like all kinds of weird Trek ships around and all generations of uniforms).

Again, there are things to wear in game that already qualify for the "half naked" thing. If there's anything for RPers or prudes to whine about, it's already in game.
    I would of course really appreciate if they would take a look at TOS and take some inspiration from some of those costumes used there... And if they feel the need to restrict it to certain locations for PCs and NPCs, I am fine with that.

I'm with you on this one. More outfits would be great, especially ones inspired by outfits from TOS.
    However I don't like the idea of restricting outfits in different areas. I see no need for it to happen. Nothing is gained from it, save for the few RPers in game screeching "Ermagerd, TREKZZZ!!" every time they see something they don't like/something that contradicts their fanfic or RP.
    Personally, I'd rather see the outfit system opened up completely to let us mix, match and colour as we please. What RPer wouldn't want that kind of freedom?
    I need a beer.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    TBF, Orion women do wear that little in the shows...
    It's canon. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Orion females already have their *ahem* "outfit" pieces and are able to use them wherever they like. Wouldn't this make most of the arguments against swimwear off of Risa a wee bit...well, absurd?
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Sad parts with Orions is that Orion females don't have access to one single article of actual canon Orion clothing.

Because I sure have no memory of any Orion running around in a metal bikini.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Sad parts with Orions is that Orion females don't have access to one single article of actual canon Orion clothing.

There's the ragged cloth thing I suppose.
    It just shows how badly off the KDF are for outfits. If the swimwear, wetsuits etc were interchangeable with any other parts then that would help quite a bit imo.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2014

You mean like this?
    To those of you worried about people running around half naked all the time, or this game turning it to ST: Baywatch, don't be silly, this game already has Mirror outfits, cropped winter coats, and Orion girls.

Are they overrunning this game? No. And neither will swimsuits.

If anything, real orions tend to wear less. :P

Still waiting on "The Cage" outfit. :(
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Orions are a special case, they're a race that actually does like to show some skin for political machincations.

As for everyone else - All this thread proves is people want to look at feminine assets on the internet. I bet you'd all change your tune if they postpone the female options but let the Picard Speedo in (and yes it is an option for swimsuits).

This argument is inherently sexist and about rocking your socks off. Go somewhere else. Heck, you're getting a whole map to do this on without interfering with other players. I think many straight female players and TRIBBLE male players wouldn't be very happy if ESD was overrun by everyone in a bikini. And I don't like that the Orions have this option as is, but thats an issue with the show, not the game.

Besides I'm already waiting for the inevitable rage thread from the sight of male gorn in the picard speedo and Caitian/Ferasans in swimsuits.

This is a no-win scenario and I fully support Cryptic saying "hey, only for this map!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    contrarydecisioncontrarydecision Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Personally I say do it with extreme prejudice. Orions should of never been given brass bikinis and anything but green as a choice of skintone. Don't need everyone running around ESD, Qo'Nos, DS9, etc thinking they're oh-so-sexy in their maxed-sliders characters with the skimpiest swimsuit the game allows on them.

It's not "sexy" and it certainly isn't "cute" it just makes you look sad.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Sexist?
    Funny, this topic is about swimsuits period, there is nothing here that specifies explicitly male or female. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Personally I say do it with extreme prejudice. Orions should of never been given brass bikinis and anything but green as a choice of skintone. Don't need everyone running around ESD, Qo'Nos, DS9, etc thinking they're oh-so-sexy in their maxed-sliders characters with the skimpiest swimsuit the game allows on them.

It's not "sexy" and it certainly isn't "cute" it just makes you look sad.

You like generalizing don't you?

There are many running around in the skimpiest outfit possible, yes.
    But many more are actually properly dressed.

In fact I myself run around with mine mainly clothed in the elite honor guard armour.
  • Options
    dinoyipidinoyipi Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    On the one hand, I really do not want to see swimsuits wherever I go to an even greater degree than I do now due to Orions, so I must say I agree with Cryptic's decision as it stands. On the other hand, I can see how many see it as unfair that swimsuits will be restricted to a single, seldom-visited map. So here's my 2 latinum slips on how to compromise: Expand Risa.

First, allow Klingons to access Risa year-round (This would be easy to justify in-universe if the rumors of S9 ending the Fed-KDF war are true.) Then, give it more content that can be accessed year-round. If you give Risa more exclusive content that will draw players to visit more often, they won't feel as cheated buying Risa-exclusive swimsuits, because they'll have more opportunities to wear them.

Maybe Risa could be given a true "vacation destination" atmosphere, by having activities that can be repeated every so-often that give substantial rewards. A basic, unrefined example: there could be a floater game that gives a lump sum of Dilithium, that can be completed anywhere from once a week to once a month. Sort of like the new Weekend Events in terms of frequency, but can be played at the player's leisure, instead of "We're going to give you these bonus rewards if you play between X and Y, and if you miss it, too bad so sad."
    For personal reasons, I've left Star Trek Online.
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't mind them Risa only if I can combine the parts with others, i.e. the bikini top with last years shorts