test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #2: Militia Intelligence Regarding the Undine

Comments

• happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You know what'd be great? More story-based missions, fewer story-based blogs.
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited March 2014

But story-based blogs are so much better!
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • exsteeleexsteele Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rinkster wrote: »

To: crew

Seems our occasional allies are having a spat.

Pass round the bloodwine and we'll wait and see who is the weaker for it when they're done.

Best post in thread ^_^
    johngazman wrote: »
    That picture. Are those...tentacles? :eek: Well, that's going to make for some nightmare fuel.

And people say this game isn't becoming more asian :P

...Guess I better change my Bridge Officers' uniforms form skirts to reinforced pants, just to be safe!
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    exsteele wrote: »
    ...Guess I better change my Bridge Officers' uniforms form skirts to reinforced pants, just to be safe!
    Nah, it's only Japanese schoolgirls the tentacles are after. They're mortal enemies.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • neoforce42neoforce42 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I noticed it said they were still immune to assimilation. In "Assimilation", an Undine was captured and turned Borg in that mission. I guess that is about to change with the reworked Borg and Undine missions.

Or maybe they made a mistake since a lot of people know that the Species 8472 were assimilated, I doubt they doubt they'd tried to change somehow STO that's already been established. :rolleyes:
    vevutq3kggic.png

My ultimate Doom open world mod:

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-compile-project
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Boo it told me nothing i did not know from tv or in game waste of a read to me.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We've intercepted a top secret communication from the Romulan Republic's Militia Intelligence,

Why do you have to intercept top secret communications from the romulan republic? Aren't they allies or something.

/thread.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    *headdesk headdesk headdesk*

"Oh, let's not antagonize the Undine, let's go mess with the Federation's property!"

Nice priorities there :rolleyes:
    Not the best move. Are the Romulans sure they've been ignored by the Undine? Or perhaps they should worry about the Iconians.

kintisho wrote: »
    From the desk of the admiralty:

For a species that denies us tactical fairness (see former accords as to where the Romulans can use cloaks spy on us and infiltrate our space while we cannot develop cloak) These "new" Romulans seem to want to take a lot from us while giving nothing in return. I have heard the words of the current Undine infiltrator, I mean federation president that we still obey an out of date accord. The RRW is not n ally of the federation, they simply call themselves that as to deny that their provocative weapons of mass destruction flying cloaked around the alpha and beta quadrants in the form of scimitar class vessels capable of wiping out entire populations in a single blow, will be used against us.. It is high time the Romulans gave back, we defended them from the Klingon onslaught, weve aided against the Elachi as well as the Tal Shiar. What has the Federation received in return? More demands that we stay at a massive tactical disadvantage.. Not developing cloak, or improved cloak detection, falling behind an arms race designed to kill all Federation species. Enough, The RRW must obery the accords they hold us to, disassemble every Scimitar in their fleet, surrender all thaleron technology, or the accords are null and void. Now speaking to the effect that the Undine are our problem and not theirs while wanting to take claim to the Jenolan dyson sphere we have possessed for decades.. This seems like a prelude to war.
    Seems like exactly what the Undine and Iconians want us to keep complaining about.

Way to advance the enemies goals. By the way, Admiral Quinn wanted me to inform you, you are to report to the infirmary on Deck 47 of Earth Spacedock for a full genetic screening and blood analysis for Isomorphic enzymes.

qjunior wrote: »
    Who knows, if those ships are sentient, maybe they accept bribes or like to be cuddled ? :D

An Undine ship crewed by Tribbles? :rolleyes:
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    An Undine ship crewed by Tribbles? :rolleyes:

And the number of Undine ships dropped dramatically as the Klingons eradicated each and every one...
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why do you have to intercept top secret communications from the romulan republic? Aren't they allies or something.

/thread.

Perhaps they mean top secret as in the Romulans don't want it getting to anyone but their allies.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Henry Stimson's protestations to the contrary, "allies" read each other's mail all the time.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    To: General Jerema, KDF

GhaH 'ej Duvan General,

It is true that we could merely observe the fallout between the Undine and Voth, as well as the Federation and the Republic, waiting for the right time to strike.
    Except, we are Klingon! So the right time to strike is now! We shall sink our bat'leths in their skulls!
    I'm calling dibbs on Commander Kaol's head as a trophy on the I.K.S. QellyS Rol.

Qapla'!

To: General Bahn

Ah, but let me remind you of the story of Kahless at Quin'lat.

The wind does not respect a fool.

Let us allow the storm to throw the sand where it will before making our move.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Voyager found one of their training facilities for these infiltrators in 2375, a replica of Starfleet Academy. Captain Kathryn Janeway negotiated a truce with the leader of this facility, but later it was discovered that the Undine leaders in Fluidic Space rejected any agreement with an “inferior” lifeform.

Based on the STO canon so far, this is incorrect. The Undine were antagonized by the Iconians.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • precharprechar Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To: The devs

Do you know what happens when you change your plans (hint hint PVP) (I don't blame them) midstream?

To: Me

No.

To: The devs
    Well, neither do I! That's because I don't look at PVP threads.

/stealmodifyquote

I know what will happen :- NOTHING they will gripe and moan and then bend over to take what Cryptic gives em same as always :o
    It's your world Boss I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut!
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Based on the STO canon so far, this is incorrect. The Undine were antagonized by the Iconians.

I'm sure they're retconning that one now with the revamp of those missions, otherwise how else could they justify us all assaulting yet another duped faction.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To: Starfleet Admiral Kintisho

We will not surrender ANYTHING. We have are not held by the Treaties of old because we are not the government with which those treaties were signed. You have no right to demand ANYTHING of the Romulan Republic. We are not fools. You onlt continue to aid us in hopes we do not side with the klingons and join in their war with you. We have shared access to a dyson sphere which is in OUR space and you have developed an entire starship from what you have learned, same as we have. You have also build a warship which is capable of using a cloaking device, operate smalled Defiant class, and similar vessel with cloaks, and have even refit dreadnaughts with cloaks all without our saying a word. In fact, there are many within the RR that doesnt even care and your continued cloaking technology development is of no concern to us. Do as you will. Know this: If one starfleet vessel enters Romulan space with malicious intend, it will be met with deadly force. Do not make a possilbe ally into an enemy.

sorry to break it to u but i well back up my crew which has feds in it and side with the feds. after all the jealonian sphere was theirs us and the klingons really have 0 say in it.

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I hate to correct you guys, (and there is a campaign spoiler here for those who've not yet completed it) but:
    The Undine are immune to Borg assimilation, aggressive, and extremely xenophobic. They are telepathic and have an immune system that will destroy almost anything that penetrates their systems. This immune system can also be used as a means of attack. They are obsessed with strength, and will destroy lesser species at the first hint of a threat to their domination of Fluidic Space. Their biological technology is a rival for anything the Collective possesses, and surpasses our current technology, even with the addition of the discoveries from the Jenolan Dyson Sphere.
    I think you'll find there is an assimilated Undine in one of the story missions.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree with your thinking.

"Star Trek: Online" should have been an MMORPG with an open world experience. Unfortunately, when Cryptic implements role playing mechanics, they are using an old 1990s variation of the system. 'Diablo I & II's' hack and slash version is different than 'Dragon Age', 'Skyrim', 'Jade Empire', and 'Neverwinter Nights' version. While playing a new age role playing game, such as 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic', the experience is filled with cut scenes, consequential dialogue choices (the influence systems & world changing system), NPC companion background chatter, NPC companion and PC relationships (the relationship, allies, and foe system), and in-depth storytelling. Role playing dialogue has become a much more sophisticated mechanic.

When you compare it to modern day role playing games, "Star Trek: Online" is an extremely outdated and primitive piece of software.

...and, that may be why I have a problem with grinding.

As a result of evolving with the times, I see a disconnect between "Star Trek: Online" and modern rpgs. According to some professional online reports, the game industry is getting ready to abandon the grind mechanics, real currency exchanges, micro-transactions, and online only features. "Star Trek: Online" is about to be left behind.

*pendulum is swinging back in favor of consumerism*
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We've intercepted a top secret communication from the Romulan Republic's Militia Intelligence, revealing their recommendations in regards to the hostile species known as the Undine. Read this sensitive material in the latest entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~CaptainSmirk

Leaking classified Romulan Republic documents... I see we'll need to get some agents to drag Smirk out of bed in the dead of the night and interrogate him to see what other Romulan Republic secrets he knows. Then try him for espionage against the Romulan Republic I suggest using the Cardassian judicial system for fast results.:P
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • samartleosamartleo Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Romulan Republic Militia Intelligence? Your really going to go with that?

Why not a cool name like Tal'Darim I think was the Civilian Intelligence. May have got the spelling wrong.

Yes I agree that we need more actual specifications details of all the new content as majority of the blog's information we already know, we have played the game, dah.

And I wish the developers and writers would stop changing the already set lore of the episodes and PvE missions to suit their new content, that's cheating. Though I know they are just going to continue to do whatever the hell they want and not listen to us, the players.

Yeah the ICONIANS are the bad guys here!!! MORE OF THEM CRYPTIC!!!!! Got next to nothing about them, it's about time we faced them!!! We know they are responsible!!!

The Undine would not be invading if it wasn't for them!

What do we want?
    ICONIANS
    When do we want it?
    NOW

COME ON!
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I noticed it said they were still immune to assimilation. In "Assimilation", an Undine was captured and turned Borg in that mission. I guess that is about to change with the reworked Borg and Undine missions.
    Depends on how the assimilation worked. Maybe they really ARE immune, but the "Assimilation" that occurred was just them pumping their whole nanoprobe compliment into the thing, overcoming the Undine's cells by sheer number. Then, each of the nanoprobes copying the cell's functions and replacing it entirely.

Just shooting an idea off the top of my head here how they'd still be immune to assimilation after that episode.
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    samartleo wrote: »
    Romulan Republic Militia Intelligence? Your really going to go with that?

Why not a cool name like Tal'Darim I think was the Civilian Intelligence. May have got the spelling wrong.

Romulan Republic Militia Intelligence doesn't even make sense what government in their right mind uses militia for intelligence. Like what they got part time intelligence service members for extra school credit?:P
    I miss the Tal shiar they may have been brutal but at least they weren't a joke like the Romulan Republic.:rolleyes:
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Romulan Republic Militia Intelligence doesn't even make sense what government in their right mind uses militia for intelligence. Like what they got part time intelligence service members for extra school credit?:P
    I miss the Tal shiar they may have been brutal but at least they weren't a joke like the Romulan Republic.:rolleyes:

Until you shoved photon torpedoes in places those things don't belong in.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I still don't get why the Undine needed to bridge the Jenolan and Solanae spheres. As we've seen all over the game, they can create spatial rifts to wherever the hell they want.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I still don't get why the Undine needed to bridge the Jenolan and Sonanae spheres. As we've seen all over the game, they can create spatial rifts to wherever the hell they want.

Maybe the Undine don't want to risk moving Omega particles though fluidic space. I know I wouldn't want to take the nasty things home; especially if the people I wanted to use them on were right next door to where I found them.
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I still don't get why the Undine needed to bridge the Jenolan and Sonanae spheres. As we've seen all over the game, they can create spatial rifts to wherever the hell they want.
    I do not understand why Cryptic went with the Undine. Season Nine should be about wrapping up the Klingon and Federation war, open world PvP environments, open world PvE environments, social zone upgrades, and preparation for the Iconians. As we move through the fourth year, the Federation and KDF conflict should be coming to an end.

Season Ten should be called something that eludes to 'Demons of Air and Darkness'.

Season Eleven could have been about an entirely new story.
    samartleo wrote: »
    Yeah the ICONIANS are the bad guys here!!! MORE OF THEM CRYPTIC!!!!! Got next to nothing about them, it's about time we faced them!!! We know they are responsible!!!

The Undine would not be invading if it wasn't for them!

What do we want?
    ICONIANS
    When do we want it?
    NOW

COME ON!
    I agree.

Iconians are well overdue.

I might skip every season until the Iconians arrive.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    I agree.

Iconians are well overdue.

I might skip every season until the Iconians arrive.
    What would come after Iconians though? That seems like the 'final' thing that STO would have to offer. Not saying that STO would cease to provide content updates after them, but they wouldn't have any storyline 'big bad' to give us after that.
    edited March 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    What would come after Iconians though? That seems like the 'final' thing that STO would have to offer. Not saying that STO would cease to provide content updates after them, but they wouldn't have any storyline 'big bad' to give us after that.

That's a good thing.

STO's tendency to boil everything down to an Iconian scheme is... stupid.

Not everything in TOS was because of the klingons. Not everything in TNG was because of the borg or Romulans. Not everything in DS9 was because of the Founders. Not everything in VOY was because of the Kazon or borg or 8472. Not everything in ENT was because of the Sphere Builders.

STO should move away from harebrained conspiracies (and grind and lockboxes) and toward good storytelling (and even further away from grind and lockboxes).
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That's a good thing.

STO's tendency to boil everything down to an Iconian scheme is... stupid.

Not everything in TOS was because of the klingons. Not everything in TNG was because of the borg or Romulans. Not everything in DS9 was because of the Founders. Not everything in VOY was because of the Kazon or borg or 8472. Not everything in ENT was because of the Sphere Builders.

STO should move away from harebrained conspiracies (and grind and lockboxes) and toward good storytelling (and even further away from grind and lockboxes).

actually, much of DS9's plots WERE because of the dominion in some way shape or form.....or Dukat
    edited March 2014
    actually, much of DS9's plots WERE because of the dominion in some way shape or form.....or Dukat

During the war, yes much of it was. Before hand? No, and even during the war there were standalone episodes. In STO everything is the Iconians. EVERYTHING.