test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Has STO Been Successful?

freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
Just wondering, has STO conceivably made $40 million dollars?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Probably, just note how many custom ships and weapons and gear are out there. The number of life time subscribers and regular subscribers. The sheer magnitude of lock box keys on the market. I think STO is paying for itself and providing a tidy profit.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    depends what you mean by successful. STO is not on the scale of some other well known MMOs nor is it the most popular, which has lead to this need to artificially increase the popularity count every year, either by plants in the community or by PWE themselves like they are currently doing with the legacy pack.

make of it what you will, but to me it's a marginal operation.

as for the money side, dunno if its made any money at all, or if its being propped up by PWE's other games. PWE doesnt release these types of figures for some reason, even if they did, someone would need to translate it into english.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Depends on how you measure "Success".

According to these message boards - No
    The "FACT" it's still running - Yes

As for the 40 million dollars... depends, if they have spent 41 (or more) to get this far - No
    if they have spent 39 (or less) to get this far - Yes

Lots of ways to measure success, me, personally, if I can login for a 10 year anniversary event, I'd say yes - unless it is a 14 day grind for the free stuff like last time... then I'd say no :P lol
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I am simply wondering if the game has netted $40 million at any time. Not gross profit of course.

I believe that it must have considering the amount of money that I have poured in to it... I am sure others have as well.

It's a real eye opener for me considering that another game in alpha has already netted $40 million and has far, far greater aspirations for game-play than what we are given in STO.

Buyers remorse I suppose. I think that the Star Trek community deserves better considering the loyalty of fans to the franchise. ;-)

Just wondering, thanks guys!
  • Options
    saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    either by plants in the community

House plants? Like geraniums? Petunias maybe...
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why $40 million?
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited March 2014

$40 million? Why such an arbitrary number? Or is there some significance to having earned $40 mil?
  • Options
    solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They've made over 9000.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    as for the money side, dunno if its made any money at all, or if its being propped up by PWE's other games. PWE doesnt release these types of figures for some reason, even if they did, someone would need to translate it into english.
    I've heard STO is PWE's biggest cash cow ATM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree the question is too vague as is the 40 million figure. if i told you the game makes 1 million or 100 million, what does it change? the game is here and alive and we get the updates we get. in a competitive market where many MMO's have died, just being available and actively updated is a success in itself.

Im sure they have made much much more than $40 million if you are wondering but its complicated when you factor in everything from development to subs, to c-store to lifetimes. how much is profit and how much of that profit goes back into development?
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    To get that information you will need to wait until Perfect World (Stock Ticker: PWRD) releases their 2013 Annual Report. It seems that it will be available sometime in April 2014.

Somewhere in the annual report there may be a section that reports on how much each game contributed (or hindered) total gross revenue for PWRD. However, the breakdown of revenue by individual product is not a requirement of the SEC (Securities Exchange Commission).

In November 2013, PWRD simply announced to analysts that revenues for Q4 2013 is expected to be stronger than the a consensus of $137.3 million. PWRD expected the launch of DOTA2, as well as a Chinese version of U.S./European title Neverwinter, to maintain its momentum.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I agree the question is too vague as is the 40 million figure. if i told you the game makes 1 million or 100 million, what does it change? the game is here and alive and we get the updates we get. in a competitive market where many MMO's have died, just being available and actively updated is a success in itself.

Im sure they have made much much more than $40 million if you are wondering but its complicated when you factor in everything from development to subs, to c-store to lifetimes. how much is profit and how much of that profit goes back into development?

Thanks for the input. Yes, I agree that it has probably netted over $40 million.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its hard to say. I would not be astounded at all if someone said that the entire player base spends $2500-5000 per day on zen though. That is nothing like 40 mil but throw in the lifetime members and other $$ purchases and its easily 10+ just from observation and rough estimation. It could easily be twice that given that some players spend big $$ and quit.

The amount of money represented only by lockbox keys is *astounding* when you consider the # of ships in play vs the 1 in 100 drop rate and the # of keys in the exchange and the constant "Kerk has acquired a blahblahubership" spam. Just about *every single one* of those lockbox win messages means that a solid $100 has been spent on keys.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am simply wondering if the game has netted $40 million at any time. Not gross profit of course.

Yeah, probably. The amount of sub money from launch, lifetime subs and ship sales probably have netted that. But the company's been sold twice during the development cycle of this game, so I'm not sure it really matters. And the purchase of Cryptic by PWE included more than just this game. THe assets, the engine, the presence in the western MMO market all carry with it incentive beyond just straight profit. I think the game's been profitable for PWE since they got it. But I don't know any numbers so I could be way wrong.
    saihung423 wrote: »
    $40 million?

Didn't Atari sell the company for 44 million or something like that? Which is why the OP is asking about 40 million?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Didn't Atari sell the company for 44 million or something like that? Which is why the OP is asking about 40 million?

Oh I see. In that case it isn't about just STO, Cryptic also has NW and even CO. I'm quite sure all 3 of those games combined have long surpassed $40 mil.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    saihung423 wrote: »
    House plants? Like geraniums? Petunias maybe...

guess i asked for that :D. this is what i mean.
    I've heard STO is PWE's biggest cash cow ATM.

need some proof of that.
    noroblad wrote: »
    Its hard to say. I would not be astounded at all if someone said that the entire player base spends $2500-5000 per day on zen though. That is nothing like 40 mil but throw in the lifetime members and other $$ purchases and its easily 10+ just from observation and rough estimation. It could easily be twice that given that some players spend big $$ and quit.

The amount of money represented only by lockbox keys is *astounding* when you consider the # of ships in play vs the 1 in 100 drop rate and the # of keys in the exchange and the constant "Kerk has acquired a blahblahubership" spam. Just about *every single one* of those lockbox win messages means that a solid $100 has been spent on keys.

it's possible some people can sink upwards of a few hundred pounds a week into the game, but that doesnt mean its making a profit automatically. it would need a lot of people showing they added to the pot per quarter. again as above, need some proof of more current figures and not from 2012.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    Oh I see. In that case it isn't about just STO, Cryptic also has NW and even CO. I'm quite sure all 3 of those games combined have long surpassed $40 mil.

No, I am asking for another reason which I will not mention because it is off-topic for STO...

On the topic of STO, I was just wondering other's opinions on if STO had reached that milestone, and if so, I think that Star Trek fans deserve better than what is offered. There is no alternative so that opinion is moot ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It's a real eye opener for me considering that another game in alpha has already netted $40 million and has far, far greater aspirations for game-play than what we are given in STO.

Are you referring to Star Citizen?

Star Citizen is a game that appeals to a larger audience than STO. In fact, it appeals to a very large audience that loves space flight combat simulators, a genre that more or less died over a decade ago. There has been games that filled this gap like EgoSoft's X-Series, but they did not appeal to a huge audience.

The fact that it is being developed by Chris Roberts (creator of the Wing Commander / Privateer series) means that a lot of gamers are very confident that the game will be released in a timely manner. However, that also means they have very high to extremely high expectations.
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Perhaps the OP stated 40 million because Star Citizen recently made that milestone? I don't think STO's made THAT much. Perhaps a few mil, but when you take into account operational costs for Cryptic studios I would imagine the net profit is much less than some might think.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Star Citizen is so Over-hyped, it is going to die horribly simply because everyone seems to be expecting the greatest, most perfect game ever and there is literally no way ANY game is going to be perfect at launch.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    Perhaps the OP stated 40 million because Star Citizen recently made that milestone? I don't think STO's made THAT much. Perhaps a few mil, but when you take into account operational costs for Cryptic studios I would imagine the net profit is much less than some might think.

shhhhh dont let the fan boys here you say that you may start something :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Are you referring to Star Citizen?

Star Citizen is a game that appeals to a larger audience than STO. In fact, it appeals to a very large audience that loves space flight combat simulators, a genre that more or less died over a decade ago. There has been games that filled this gap like EgoSoft's X-Series, but they did not appeal to a huge audience.

The fact that it is being developed by Chris Roberts (creator of the Wing Commander / Privateer series) means that a lot of gamers are very confident that the game will be released in a timely manner. However, that also means they have very high to extremely high expectations.

im keeping an eye on it as well, the reason im not already invested in it is real life concerns that threaten to have me on the street each week recently, so it wouldnt be wise to sink any money into it. however roberts as i recalled also did freelancer but left before it was released, for the most part it did good. but yes, played that and then x3 came along, still playing AP, sank 170hours into AP over the past few weeks which shows that to me STO isnt what i am looking for, but i already knew that.

anyways, it would depend exactly how roberts' group decides to work their project as it was funded by public support rather then a company.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Please stay on topic for STO, thanks...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Please stay on topic for STO, thanks...

mod impersonation? anyways.
    Star Citizen is so Over-hyped, it is going to die horribly simply because everyone seems to be expecting the greatest, most perfect game ever and there is literally no way ANY game is going to be perfect at launch.

perhaps, perhaps not, whatever happens you can be sure it will dictate PWE's plans as a direct competitor because of STO. then we will see how successful it will be then. it's not a doom opinion, not yet anyways.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    but when you take into account operational costs for Cryptic studios I would imagine the net profit is much less than some might think.

Ok. Let's take those into account.

What are they?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Probably "Freelancer 2.0" which was a fun game, but had many flaws ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Probably "Freelancer 2.0" which was a fun game, but had many flaws ...

freelancer 2 became vaporware. however you can call star citizen a successor to freelancer, that clearly depends if it gets away from square one.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lan451 wrote: »

The sale of a company or division does not work that way. The sale price is not based on how much revenue Cryptic was generating at or before the sale. The sale price is based on the expected future revenues over the course of several years. The price could be fair value, under valued (a bargain), or over valued (a large premium). For example, it could be that PWE paid $44 million for Cryptic based on the expectations that within 4 years Cryptic will be able to generate $44 million of revenue (adjusted for inflation) so that PWE breaks even on the purchase from Atari, anything beyond that would be an actual return on investment for PWE.

Back in October 2006 AMD completed it's acquisition of ATI Technologies (the makers of the Radeon GPUs). The settled price was $5.4 billion. However, it eventually became apparent that AMD simply paid too much for ATI especially since some of the chips ATI sold were for cellphones which ultimately were phased out since those chips were not competitive. Towards the end of 2008, I believe that the value of the ATI acquisition was written down to about $3 billion. That means AMD took a $2.4 billion loss. That cause AMD's stock price to collapse by 90% between Oct 2006 and around December 2008.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic made more than 40million far long time ago.. u guys really need to wake up lol.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic made more than 40million far long time ago.. u guys really need to wake up lol.

in a year or overall?