What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Has STO Been Successful?

13»

Comments

• freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
    edited March 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    Squadron 42 is a stand alone game... Your character is used in both games and they do merge...

You bounty hunt, you mine, you set up jump gates, and so on; but there are story missions...

There's a story. It's not just fight, make money, buy more stuff, fight more, make more money, buy more stuff. There is a lot of lore.

Fixed. #10char
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Fixed. #10char
    Tnks. I have no idea why I typed 54. :)
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Squadron 54 is a stand alone game set in the same universe. Your character isn't used in both games and they don't merge. It's like saying kotor and tor are the same game. They're not. One is a stand alone game and the other is an mmo.

And yes, there's a pvp slider, but other then that you're just doing things to make money. You bounty hunt, you mine, you set up jump gates, and so on; but there's no story missions. You get told to capture pirates in ABC system and when you kill them all you get paid. Then you run and buy new equipment to go and kill more pirates, and so on.

There's no story. It's just fight, make money, buy more stuff, fight more, make more money, buy more stuff.

It's Squadron 42 - and sorry but they have said progress played while connected to the PU server WILL affect the status of your character in the PU Server. You'll have a choice to play through with a new character at the start or not. (I'm not making this up, the info is available from multiple sources online.) Also, given how players have progressed through the linear story in STO (most do the story missions solo the first time through); in the end, you can almost consider the single player S42 campaign the 'leveling content' and the PU server the 'endgame' in SC (assuming it releases as planned by CIG.) Yes, you can play S42 completely stand alone itself as well not connected to their PU server too, bit that won't benefit a character if you then transfer him to the PU.

They also plan to have an Exploration system, for people who just want to find new jump points/new systems, etc; and they are trying to make it more detailed because a player pole showed a good majority of players wanted to do more exploring thn fighting, but we'll see how well that turns out.

As for the 'just fight/make money/buy more stuff' - in the end, that sounds A LOT like STO's current endgame to me. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited March 2014
    It's Squadron 42 - and sorry but they have said progress played while connected to the PU server WILL affect the status of your character in the PU Server. You'll have a choice to play through with a new character at the start or not. (I'm not making this up, the info is available from multiple sources online.) Also, given how players have progressed through the linear story in STO (most do the story missions solo the first time through); in the end, you can almost consider the single player S42 campaign the 'leveling content' and the PU server the 'endgame' in SC (assuming it releases as planned by CIG.) Yes, you can play S42 completely stand alone itself as well not connected to their PU server too, bit that won't benefit a character if you then transfer him to the PU.
    Well, I think you're wrong, but we have over a year before we need to worry about it. :cool:
  • freedumb4evafreedumb4eva Member Posts: 269
    edited March 2014
    Another question even though the question is kind of pointless since there are no other options for Star Trek fans:

With all of the money that this game makes, is this the game that you really want as a Star Trek fan?
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    it's possible some people can sink upwards of a few hundred pounds a week into the game, but that doesnt mean its making a profit automatically. it would need a lot of people showing they added to the pot per quarter. again as above, need some proof of more current figures and not from 2012.

2012? Go look right now, in game. Keys for sale in the exchange all day long. Every few min someone is announced to win a box ship. All day long. Again, we know the drop rates for ships, its pretty low so every ship represents an averge # of keys which represent $$ spent in the game (mostly, some of it is stipend zen).

As I said the daily consumption of keys is a significant amount of $$ every day, all day. Same for fleet modules. Same for other zen purchases.

Either the flow of cash for zen daily is very large or everyone has a lifetime account (in which case the $$ flow would have hit 40 mil eons ago).

The amount of zen bought to be sold for dil is also staggering, but it can be discounted as it eventually ends up with a zen buyer that gets a ship, modules, keys, or the like. Still, there is a lot of "unspent" zen in the game that represent $$ spent.
    edited March 2014
    Another question even though the question is kind of pointless since there are no other options for Star Trek fans:

With all of the money that this game makes, is this the game that you really want as a Star Trek fan?
    The game I would want as a star trek fan wouldn't be an mmo. MMOs are about lots of people and teaming up and doing things together. Star trek is really a solo experience: one captain in his ship out alone expanding the federation. A true star trek came would need to be a spg that has constant mission upgrades for a fee.
    edited March 2014
    The game I would want as a star trek fan wouldn't be an mmo. MMOs are about lots of people and teaming up and doing things together. Star trek is really a solo experience: one captain in his ship out alone expanding the federation. A true star trek came would need to be a spg that has constant mission upgrades for a fee.

MMOs don't have to follow the mold. All it takes is one creative team to do something different. That ship out alone has a crew, for example... its a floating city with its own internal adventures as well as the external content. The problem is everyone wants to be the captain... and that is what sells. If the captain were an NPC and players were all bridge officers.... that might be a lot of fun but people want to be the darn captain and nothing else will do...
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    All you need to do is look at the pvp queues and zones to see that over 50% of the playerbase isn't pvping in sto. So the majority of sto players aren't into pvp. It's just not their thing.

Cryptic knows that pvp isn't sto's money maker; they have the data samples. That's why it keeps getting pushed back on the schedule season after season. Pvp players are tossed a grape while the pve players get the 3 course meals.

No that's not the case at all, and I'd wager you're confusing causation and correlation: The low involvement in PvP is likely down to the fact that PvP in this game is lacking--if existent at all. If it's not fun or rewards aren't enough, people won't engage in the activity. That's what's behind the lack of PvP in STO--not because of some intrinsic anti-PvP attitude on the part of Trekkies.
    edited March 2014
    noroblad wrote: »
    MMOs don't have to follow the mold. All it takes is one creative team to do something different. That ship out alone has a crew, for example... its a floating city with its own internal adventures as well as the external content. The problem is everyone wants to be the captain... and that is what sells. If the captain were an NPC and players were all bridge officers.... that might be a lot of fun but people want to be the darn captain and nothing else will do...
    What you're describing is a multiplayer game, not an mmo. In a multiplayer game you generally play with the same people all the time; like your normal HALO troop.

In an MMO you can be playing with anyone. That means you'd have a different tactical officer, helm officer, science officer, and so on every time you played. That probably wouldn't be that much fun to just be teamed up with any random person at any time. I think that'd break immersion.
    edited March 2014
    No that's not the case at all, and I'd wager you're confusing causation and correlation: The low involvement in PvP is likely down to the fact that PvP in this game is lacing--if existent at all. If it's not fun or rewards aren't enough, people won't engage in the activity. That's what's behind the lack of PvP in STO--not because of some intrinsic anti-PvP attitude on the part of Trekkies.
    I've already addressed your chicken to egg example in another post.
    edited March 2014
    What you're describing is a multiplayer game, not an mmo. In a multiplayer game you generally play with the same people all the time; like your normal HALO troop.

In an MMO you can be playing with anyone. That means you'd have a different tactical officer, helm officer, science officer, and so on every time you played. That probably wouldn't be that much fun to just be teamed up with any random person at any time. I think that'd break immersion.

It would.

But immersion does not even exist. I am supposed to be immersed in STO? Hardly. I won't even dignify it with even a partial list of things that break immersion. Immersion is better in single player games, as you noted! People don't play mmos expecting immersion anyway, so I am not sure it would matter.
    edited March 2014
    It would.

But immersion does not even exist. I am supposed to be immersed in STO? Hardly. I won't even dignify it with even a partial list of things that break immersion. Immersion is better in single player games, as you noted! People don't play mmos expecting immersion anyway, so I am not sure it would matter.
    If you check back on what I originally replied to then immersion makes sense. I never said sto had immersion. I said that to have a real star trek experience, which includes immersion, you need to play it as a spg rather then an mmo. MMOs, as you said, can never be as immersive as a spg that only needs to focus on 1 character's interactions. My ideal trek game would be an immersive spg, not an mmo.
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic has the data. This isn't a chicken and egg situation that everyone thinks it is: no one plays it becasue it sucks? No.

Cryptic know how many people pvp. They know how many do it regularly. They know how many go to k-7 at level 6 and never do it at all once they learn those are pvp missions being assigned. And they know how many only do pvp once or twice in kerrat because of those missions and then never do it again. They have all that data at the fingertips.

Cryptic doesn't even pay attention to the people who have pvped for years here because they know those aren't the representative samples. The data samples come from all the new players who join the game each month and then never pvp; not knowing if pvp is balanced or not.

This is all wrong and exemplifies the problem with metrics. I'm certain Cryptic has data/metrics telling them that few people engage in PvP, but that doesn't explain why it's happening. The why has been spelled out time and time again--including in this thread.

It's not chicken or egg: It's causation and correlation. You're confusing them.
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It would.

The MMORPG format has lately turned into a "green card" for doing very silly things. I will take the opportunity to once again blame that "other game", for indirectly destroying the entire genre. I've been here since UO, and would say the effort to maintain immersion is at an abysmal level. Not to say we have hit the rock bottom. Far from it. For then we could only look forward to improvements! And that is as they say, pure fantasy.

If longevity is a concern, we will at least have this debate to look forward to, in this world or the next one. Immortality is at hand, but with different participants. And that was the catch...

---
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The game is still running and being updated with new stuff coming. All kinds of new stuff here and there. That's all you need to know. :)
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    With regards to Star Citizen, I have only one thing to say - they've committed to letting people run their own servers.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev