test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Challenge #9 Discussion Thread - VOTING Has Begun Until 7/4/14

pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
Foundry Challenge #9: The Mirror of Romulus
This is the comments thread for Foundry Challenge #9: The Mirror of Romulus.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked.

This is the first Foundry Challenge I will be overseeing, so come on Forum Folks, show me what ya' got! Oh, and since this is a Mirror event, I expect to see some evil Goatees! :cool:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Good luck to all the participants.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    onlyslightlybentonlyslightlybent Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Foundry challenge 9! my Man!. You did not disappoint.
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'll be interested in the results... outside of the Mirror ships, we have basically no idea what the Mirror Romulans are like...
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'll be interested in the results... outside of the Mirror ships, we have basically no idea what the Mirror Romulans are like...

Gives you the author full control of who they are!
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    Sounds like a great challenge and this is perfect timing, because unless I am mistaken, Greendragoon is going to teach us all how to build a great Romulan city on tonight's Foundry Roundtable!

twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable at 5:30 p.m. U.S. Mountain. I won't be there tonight sadly, but I'll be able to watch it when he gets it up on youtube.

On a personal note I'm strongly considering entering the contest cause it sounds like fun. Only issue is I already have a spotlight mission for each faction... but then again if I win, maybe I can convince Smirk to spotlight the second place finisher :)
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    zorbane wrote: »
    Gives you the author full control of who they are!

That's why I said I'd be interested in the results: see what different authors think of how the Mirror Romulans have turned out...
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You know I had been toying with a few ideas for something like this for awhile now. Wish I was more familiar with the foundry so I could actually take part in this one, but I have a question.
    and throw in some evil looking Goatees to boot!

how can we throw in some goatees when we can't have facial hair on Romulan males?
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    rtk142 wrote: »
    how can we throw in some goatees when we can't have facial hair on Romulan males?

That is part of the challenge, plus, i never said the goatee had to be on a Romulan.

Oh and for the Romulan Mirror ships, make sure they have some yellow on them :)

Good luck everyone!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    rtk142 wrote: »
    You know I had been toying with a few ideas for something like this for awhile now. Wish I was more familiar with the foundry so I could actually take part in this one, but I have a question.

*psst* select alien instead of Romulan as the species in the costume creator, make a guy that looks like a Romulan and then put a beard on him.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    *psst* select alien instead of Romulan as the species in the costume creator, make a guy that looks like a Romulan and then put a beard on him.

Granted that's the answer *points to my signature*, this was more to point out to the devs Romulans should get facial hair
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »

Facial Hair problem solved!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    For the empire! o/
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This actually kind of plays into my mirror invasion series that I had started. Unfortunately since I already have a federation version done, I'll have to start a Klingon version this time. I have actually been wanting to do the klingon version for a while now, so I guess this is a good time as any!

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    kishi0690kishi0690 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In the EULA it states ...
    "You many not make use of any copyrighted or trademarked material of third parties,"

How strict is that? For example lets say I wanted to do a series of Missions that are like Law & Order but star trek? Would that be ok? If I use last names but not first names of characters from that show would that be ok?

Note that I am not making this I just wanted to understand that statement from the EULA.

I hope you can answer this thanks!
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Had a great idea for an exploration mission. A mirror Romulan one, not so much. Perhaps my Romulan character Trajan from a time to search could be explored in the M U.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    This actually kind of plays into my mirror invasion series that I had started. Unfortunately since I already have a federation version done, I'll have to start a Klingon version this time. I have actually been wanting to do the klingon version for a while now, so I guess this is a good time as any!

The mission must be built from scratch no pre existing builds. Otherwise it is doable.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Had a great idea for an exploration mission. A mirror Romulan one, not so much. Perhaps my Romulan character Trajan from a time to search could be explored in the M U.

That's the best part of doing MU missions, taking characters you created in the Prime universe and asking "What would their counterparts be like?"
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    For the empire! o/

As far as I can figure, the Empire is called the Romulan Republic in the M U.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    For this Foundry Challenge, create a mission that's main story plot revolves around the fate of Romulus, and it's Legacy, in the Mirror Universe. What happens to Romulus, (does Mol'Rihan and the Romulan Republic exist?), along with the rest of the backstory, is completely up to you. Don't forget the Remans, and throw in some evil looking Goatees to boot!

Please make sure to adhere to the Foundry EULA and the rules below.
    http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/its.html

;)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    As far as I can figure, the Empire is called the Romulan Republic in the M U.

I'm not chanting for the Romulans.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Oh and for the Romulan Mirror ships, make sure they have some yellow on them :)

Uh, why? Aren't mirror Romulan ships more grey than anything else?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Uh, why? Aren't mirror Romulan ships more grey than anything else?

*Cough* Terran Empire markings are yellow. *Cough*

Any chance we can get some additional Romulan outfits added?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    typo on it's, should be its in the Foundry challenge... one star.

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    *Cough* Terran Empire markings are yellow. *Cough*

That's why I was confused. Since the mirror Romulan ships we've seen don't have yellow, the mirror Romulans probably aren't a subject race of the Terrans.

Maybe I'm just stifling creativity. Never mind me. :P
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    elijahthomasstoelijahthomassto Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So glad to see the Foundry Challenges back on again. I've never published a mission to enter but have played alot of them, and the authors do great work.

I'm thinking of throwing my hat in the ring this time round, but I wanted to raise a question. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, "no", but here it is.

This being a mirror universe stimulus for a mission, that doesn't extend to the JJverse, does it?

It is after all an alternate reality and one that is very, very impacted by the fate of Romulus, but in which we've not actually seen interactions between that universe's Star Empire and Federation (since it is afterall the Prime Romulus that was destroyed and not the JJverse Romulus). Since the Narada backstory is explored in STO i thought i'd raise the question.

I'll probably throw my hat in the ring either way, but the stimulus gave me an idea that I'll probably end up exploring another time in another mission.
    Foundry Missions by @ElijahThomas

e3e7b26f-fe46-407a-9b30-9b78e5b43584_zps7b329b80.jpg
  • Options
    crash490rcrash490r Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That is kind of a big task seeing as Romulans were never featured in the Mirror Universe, in fact Mirror Romulans aren't even canon since they never appeared on screen.

So how exactly are we supposed to somehow place them in a universe where (as far as tv/movies went) they never existed?

That kinda seems like something a team of paid designers should be doing, not the player base.
    LTS Since 2012
    do1ao9.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I wonder if a Dev can add the mirror hull materials to the foundry ship editor for us then please.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Can we get some more Romulan maps, costumes and props for this one?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    So glad to see the Foundry Challenges back on again. I've never published a mission to enter but have played alot of them, and the authors do great work.

I'm thinking of throwing my hat in the ring this time round, but I wanted to raise a question. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, "no", but here it is.

This being a mirror universe stimulus for a mission, that doesn't extend to the JJverse, does it?

It is after all an alternate reality and one that is very, very impacted by the fate of Romulus, but in which we've not actually seen interactions between that universe's Star Empire and Federation (since it is afterall the Prime Romulus that was destroyed and not the JJverse Romulus). Since the Narada backstory is explored in STO i thought i'd raise the question.

I'll probably throw my hat in the ring either way, but the stimulus gave me an idea that I'll probably end up exploring another time in another mission.

The way it works with STO and the JJ movies is that we can reference the events that took place in the Prime timeline like the destruction of Romulus, the existence of Nero and the Narada, etc. But anything that happens in the other timeline is offlimits, mainly because a different company owns the rights to it.
  • Options
    i8472i8472 Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Am I allowed to enter? entered 2 other challenges, but 1 was like 2 hours+ ...and the other, no one liked it.

Any information on Mirror Romulans? I know nothing about them.
    (ship prefix, terms for military ships, type government? relationship with the Terran Empire.)
    Which mirror universe? One of the "The Next Gen" episodes had thousands of them.

Do we have to go to Romulus?

Can we get an updated Foundry EULA?

Does the mission, have to be set entirely in the mirror universe. *(From start to finish)

What is the minimum time allowed? like 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 - 30?

Loading screens do they count for time limit? or ignore load screen time and try just using average mission play time?

What level requirement should I try for? or does it matter?