Options

why do YOU like the Schimitar line?

13»

Comments

• Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    age03 wrote: »
    Thanks but if I just wanted the one which one would be best for Tac. and Science?

If you only want to spend Zen on one of the three, go with the Tactical variant. Ditch it's uni console and put full embassy -th consoles on it, and then go crazy removing faces and slaughtering everything indiscriminately.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    jimqqijimqqi Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Cloaked barrage and shields up while cloaked are huuuuuuuuuugely powerful when used in synergy.

Shields up while cloaked is worse than useless in pve. It probably hurts your dps more than losing a tac console. Cloaked barrage is almost as bad. That's time you could have been shooting with the ambush damage bonus without taking a hit to weapon power. There's no reason to ever fully cloak in pve. Let it run for 3.5s then decloak for ambush bonus.
    I usually use torp scatter 3

lol torps
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I dont like the Scimitar. never have, never will. used one for a while to do some deeps as a personal project just to do it.

captain is now in a tvaro for pvp purposes.

I was always against putting the ******ned things into the game (seriously search if you dont believe me, back when LOR came out people were SCREAMING for the scim and I was the one person on these forums saying NO ITS A BAD IDEA), and cryptic completely screwed over the playerbase by introducing such an overpowered game breaking piece of garbage.

Scims can rot in hell for all I care. Mine will only come out when I want to do an ISE in like 2 minutes or something, otherwise whatever.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If I cared enough about Romulans enough to level mine I'd get one. She was a sweet ship in the movie, I liked it a lot.

She could have 2 tac consoles and a Galaxy-R boff layout and if I like her I will fly her, if I don't I won't. She isn't that OP either, in PvP anyway. They go down quicker then... I do!

*shrug* DPS goes up. Scimmy just made it go up faster. So long as nobody is crawling up my behind complaining I'm not flying one myself and they can do 1k DPS for all I care. Live and let live, if I really wanted to fly the ship she could be mine.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Welp. Scimitar is officially even MORE OP now. Removal of shared cds between teams. Yup. Scimitar is basically god now.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Welp. Scimitar is officially even MORE OP now. Removal of shared cds between teams. Yup. Scimitar is basically god now.

I haven't even taken mine out for a spin yet (too busy wiping the floor with Cure Found Elite in my Fed Chel Grett), but I can't wait.

All the more reason to call my sci Scimitar the RRW Ruin, LOL.
  • Options
    trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is the perfect ship for me, BOFF layout, console layout, weapons, hull and looks awesome. I was sorely disappointed the first time I saw the Scimitar in STO, it was on of my favorite ships, but I did say that if it ever came out, I would probably never fly anything else again...I have 18 toons and I just fly the one with my Scimitar now.
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I haven't even taken mine out for a spin yet (too busy wiping the floor with Cure Found Elite in my Fed Chel Grett), but I can't wait.

All the more reason to call my sci Scimitar the RRW Ruin, LOL.

It was kinda funny. I occasionally had issues with my hull due to the bleed bug (no, it hasn't been fixed yet), but now that I can slot an ET2 instead of Aux2SIF1 and STILL run the dual TTs... yeeeah, hull issues where?
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Because its the Scimitar... That said, it should be downsized. It is NOT supposed to br bigger than a galaxy-x...
    /Floozy
  • Options
    syndonaisyndonai Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Because its the Scimitar... That said, it should be downsized. It is NOT supposed to br bigger than a galaxy-x...

But it's correct in size compared to the sovereign. So which one's wrong?
    PKsymbol.JPG

Peacekeeper High Command
    Scorpius - Zelbinion Mk II
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    syndonai wrote: »
    But it's correct in size compared to the sovereign. So which one's wrong?

The guy you were responding to.

The Scimitar is bigger than a D'derpidex, which is bigger than a Galaxy. It dwarfs the Sovereign, which is an attack cruiser a little smaller than the Galaxy.

In-game scimis are perfect. Just the right size, gloriously OP, ridiculously awesome in a fight.

And they equip drone ships. Glorious.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like the scimitar because I find it looks beautiful (personal opinion which is not shared much). And with cannons, it's a balanced ship (with beams and a2b build it's totally op, but a2b is op by itself).

I like it because the ship was made to be ether a powerful but difficult to play cannon ship, or a more easy to play but less powerful beam ship. Unfortunately, ab2 + dem was on the way, and made the easy way incredibly powerful.

I like it because I have pets that don't die when a borg look at them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you only want to spend Zen on one of the three, go with the Tactical variant. Ditch it's uni console and put full embassy -th consoles on it, and then go crazy removing faces and slaughtering everything indiscriminately.

You are saying get the Tac. Schimitar for both Tac and Sci VAs?What do you mean by the Embassy consols on it?

I just was thinking of the one as to the Oddy and Borta bundle I bought which wasn't that great.I concentrate on my Fed and Klingon char. first then my Rom.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    You are saying get the Tac. Schimitar for both Tac and Sci VAs?What do you mean by the Embassy consols on it?

I just was thinking of the one as to the Oddy and Borta bundle I bought which wasn't that great.I concentrate on my Fed and Klingon char. first then my Rom.

TBH, the Scimitar bundle is much better than the Oddy and Bort bundles, and assuming you're going by the dil-to-ZEN method it's actually a helluva lot cheaper than kitting out your scimi in fleet gear for only a marginally reduced effectiveness.

Again, I don't use fleet gear, and my Scimitar (with the full set) regularly takes first in elite Borg STFs.

The Bortas'qu is broken weaksauce, and the oddy is a space whale beam boat. Both are all but impossible to focus on forward DPS in, and powerslide worse than the scimi. If you're going to buy a bundle, buy the Vesta, the Scimitar, or the Dyson bundle.

If you are absolutely heart-set on one and only one Scimitar, and cannot be swayed to buy the bundle under any circumstances, go with the tac version and do what hereticknight said. Downsides are: The tac scimi is a pure DPS ship. It's pants for any reasonable scidestroyer or sci-heavy DPS build, and it's got somewhat lower survivability than the Falchion. If memory serves, the full set grants a turn rate bonus, but I'll need to check the wiki.

In a nutshell, the Scimitar is a glorious engine of destruction. The absolute best is generally agreed to be a tac scimitar in full fleet gear, but with the exception of those hyper-elite builds, which are ridiculously expensive to work up to, the set bonus is IMHO very worth it.

My 2 slips of latinum.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

The 3 pack is only really good for the aesthetics and occasionally Thalaroning things for fun.

And yes, I am saying get the Tac Scimi for both Tac and Sci. It has the highest damage output, and still tanks perfectly fine. If you have Fleet Neutroniums in it's engi console slots, you'll have more than enough hull resists. And as for the Embassy Consoles, I was referring to these consoles.

The -th consoles will make it so less things are shooting at you, and will bolster your damage if you're running plasma, and they synergize well with the Zero Point and Hyper Plasma/Experimental Beam Array.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The 3 pack is only really good for the aesthetics and occasionally Thalaroning things for fun.

And yes, I am saying get the Tac Scimi for both Tac and Sci. It has the highest damage output, and still tanks perfectly fine. If you have Fleet Neutroniums in it's engi console slots, you'll have more than enough hull resists. And as for the Embassy Consoles, I was referring to these consoles.

The -th consoles will make it so less things are shooting at you, and will bolster your damage if you're running plasma, and they synergize well with the Zero Point and Hyper Plasma/Experimental Beam Array.

That's a sweet setup.

I will still recommend the 3-pack, for the fun value and because it's somewhat cheaper long-term than a pile of fleet gear. Also, the Falchion and Tulwar costumes are not to be sneezed at; I love the Falchion hull with Reman material myself.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    That's a sweet setup.

I will still recommend the 3-pack, for the fun value and because it's somewhat cheaper long-term than a pile of fleet gear. Also, the Falchion and Tulwar costumes are not to be sneezed at; I love the Falchion hull with Reman material myself.

Aesthetically you're correct. However, cost wise? Not quite.

Currently the exchange rate is 127 dil per zen. Now the 3 pack costs 5k zen. That comes out to 635k dil. Now each fleet consoles will cost (at most) 10k dil (dependent on your dil mine tier etc). So that's 10 fleet consoles. 100k dil. Add in another 200k dil for the engine, shield, deflector, and warp core. That comes out to 300k dil. So... yeah.

Spend 635k dil and STILL need to outfit the ship, only using 3 uni consoles saves you 30k dil. No thanks. I'll stick with the 315k dil for one ship, and then paying 100k dil for consoles. 415k dil or 635k + fleet costs... lol...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Aesthetically you're correct. However, cost wise? Not quite.

Currently the exchange rate is 127 dil per zen. Now the 3 pack costs 5k zen. That comes out to 635k dil. Now each fleet consoles will cost (at most) 10k dil (dependent on your dil mine tier etc). So that's 10 fleet consoles. 100k dil. Add in another 200k dil for the engine, shield, deflector, and warp core. That comes out to 300k dil. So... yeah.

Spend 635k dil and STILL need to outfit the ship, only using 3 uni consoles saves you 30k dil. No thanks. I'll stick with the 315k dil for one ship, and then paying 100k dil for consoles. 415k dil or 635k + fleet costs... lol...

Don't forget that lots of people get fleet credit through dil donations.

If you assume that they're using FMs or whatever instead, you're right, but using dil, it's actually cheaper to get the 3-pack, get the Solanae set from Step Between Stars and the anniversary ship, and kit it out in some decent free consoles.

But TEHO. I'm a huge fan of the Scimitar bundle myself, but I won't waste too much time arguing with people who don't like it.

I will still insist that it is a much better bundle than the Oddy and Bort bundles, though.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Don't forget that lots of people get fleet credit through dil donations.

If you assume that they're using FMs or whatever instead, you're right, but using dil, it's actually cheaper to get the 3-pack, get the Solanae set from Step Between Stars and the anniversary ship, and kit it out in some decent free consoles.

But TEHO. I'm a huge fan of the Scimitar bundle myself, but I won't waste too much time arguing with people who don't like it.

I will still insist that it is a much better bundle than the Oddy and Bort bundles, though.

I bought the 3-pack XD. And I am a dil hoarder (my fleet leader hates this about me, but meh).

Also, it's pretty simple to build a rather nasty scimitar. Just get the Tac version, dip it in assimilated mk XI set (which is pretty cheap), give it some mk XI blue gear, and go and remove faces. Works decently.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I bought the 3-pack XD. And I am a dil hoarder (my fleet leader hates this about me, but meh).

Also, it's pretty simple to build a rather nasty scimitar. Just get the Tac version, dip it in assimilated mk XI set (which is pretty cheap), give it some mk XI blue gear, and go and remove faces. Works decently.

I use the Solanae set and a suite of protonic polaron DCs and DHCs in front, with 1 quantum torp. 3 protonic polaron turrets in back. Free Dyson rep consoles, plus the scimi set. Cannon rapid fire 3 and torp scatter 3, works pretty sweet.

I clock 20K DPS on a good run.
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    imadude3 wrote: »
    so why do YOU like the schimitar?

Because it looks cool, and it will make one heck of a PvE ship once I kit it out.

Also, "schimitar"? (Do the schimmy?)
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    mikenight00mikenight00 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I gave my Rommie toon a Scimitar because it's a ship that actually lives up to its movie version. I can remember watching Nemesis for the first time on DVD and whispering the words "Plot Armor" when the Enterprise managed to defeat it.

Sucks to be a PvP'er right now. You don't even have to be directly fighting it for it's FAW beam boat volley's to melt one of your shield facings. You could just be driving along on the way to the grocery store, then it just suddenly decloaks next to you, and violently punches through your driver side window, rips your car stereo out in front of you and cloaks with your stuff never ever to see it again. It might decloak long enough to give your Miley Cyrus CD back, but only if its feeling generous.

Fighting the Scimitar is kinda like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Never Forget 5/21
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I use the Solanae set and a suite of protonic polaron DCs and DHCs in front, with 1 quantum torp. 3 protonic polaron turrets in back. Free Dyson rep consoles, plus the scimi set. Cannon rapid fire 3 and torp scatter 3, works pretty sweet.

I clock 20K DPS on a good run.

Hm... interesting.

This is my current build. Works decently. I have never had need to change it, because it can vape TRIBBLE, and overall inflict lots of pain. Fun build to use, especially since it seems canon. Always get a kick out of using a decloaking alpha on some unsuspecting player/NPC (yes, I'll grant you the players are never "unsuspecting" but it doesn't make it any less fun).
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hm... interesting.

This is my current build. Works decently. I have never had need to change it, because it can vape TRIBBLE, and overall inflict lots of pain. Fun build to use, especially since it seems canon. Always get a kick out of using a decloaking alpha on some unsuspecting player/NPC (yes, I'll grant you the players are never "unsuspecting" but it doesn't make it any less fun).

Sweet build. What kind of DPS can you clock?

I don't have the dil to spare for fleet gear and stuff, but I do like how the Solanae set is almost as good as fleet gear.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Sweet build. What kind of DPS can you clock?

I don't have the dil to spare for fleet gear and stuff, but I do like how the Solanae set is almost as good as fleet gear.

I don't run parsers, but for clocking burst, I know I can down a Borg Cube in an ESTF in under 8 seconds, without my drones helping (that's 360k hull, ~25k per shield facing with some redistro by the cube, which comes out to a burst of ~65-70k DPS). For sustained, I can down a transformer in under 30 seconds (600k hp, comes out to ~20-22k DPS), and can take out a gate in ~50 seconds (1.55mil hp, comes out to ~30k dps).

But the last official parse I had was just over 25k on an ISE (which is low for a scimitar), and I got lucky because things weren't vaped so fast I actually had a chance to sustain fire on multiple targets for a little bit.

The burst is a hell of a lot higher than you'll ever get on a beam Scimi, but the sustained isn't quite as high. Disruptor procs tend to be tempermental, and for having 30% crit chance, I don't crit horribly often. And when I do crit, it's usually my turrets. RNG likes to troll me XD.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    That's some SWEET damage.

Basically the same build I'm using, just with more elite gear.

I wonder what kind of DPS numbers I can get on my new Avenger...
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    TBH, the Scimitar bundle is much better than the Oddy and Bort bundles, and assuming you're going by the dil-to-ZEN method it's actually a helluva lot cheaper than kitting out your scimi in fleet gear for only a marginally reduced effectiveness.

I may try to do it this way but if I can't cause I want to get my Fed and Klink something as well.I do the dilth to zen due to my finances right now.

and thank you hereticknight085 on your suggestions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers