Options

Exploration and Ship Interiors: Capturing that "Star Trek" Feeling

1235»

Comments

• Options
    donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited February 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Meh, there are different interpretations for everything. You see us giving up on something that COULD work if we kept trying at it. We see us giving up on something that didn't work, and focusing our efforts on things that do work.

Neither is wrong, just different perspectives.

Edit: As for ESD, part of this is the same reason we've revamped early missions recently. Yes, YOU have played that mission a thousand times. But, there are always new players, and making the early parts of the game (including ESD) suck less, so people stick around more and keep playing.

ESD is at it's root, functional. But it fails in a lot of ways. It's confusing. It's not good at imparting that "Star Trek" feel. There's no "wow" moment for a new player. And for those later in the game, there's a lot of running to get to some things. Hopefully we can fix some of that.

The layout of ESD is kind of inefficient. Perhaps a more vertical design would be better? 1st level, shipyards and transporters, 2nd level administration, 3rd level requisitions, 4th level exchange, etc. Keep the radial pattern, but put a turbo lift in the center.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    donrah wrote: »
    The layout of ESD is kind of inefficient. Perhaps a more vertical design would be better? 1st level, shipyards and transporters, 2nd level administration, 3rd level requisitions, 4th level exchange, etc. Keep the radial pattern, but put a turbo lift in the center.
    Adding load screens doesn't seem like a way to improve efficiency.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    I'm not seeing it. How is adding three more circles and a turbolift load, more efficient than running around one circle?

Each level would be small enough to accommodate their department. For example, the exchange/bank section being a single level or the club being its own level.
    bergins wrote: »
    Adding load screens doesn't seem like a way to improve efficiency.

It is possible to have all of them loaded into the same map simultaneously (all of ESD, except for the shipyard, is already a single map right now, so we know it can be done). Then a turbo lift would just be an instantaneous transport. Have you ever been to Deep Space Sierra 39 or Deep Space K7? They do the exact same thing I'm talking about, switching between parts of the station without a loading screen. Go to one of those stations, open your map, and zoom all the way out. There are islands where the admiral's/Wildman's offices are hiding. It's a common practice to place non contiguous rooms into the same map and teleport the player there when they activate a door trigger.

Seriously guys, use your imagination. Instead of thinking about how it can't work, try to imagine how it could work. Nobody ever accomplished anything by focusing on how something won't work.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, I can still think of at least five other aspects of the game, that need more attention than ESD.

but revamping ESD would make sto look all so more pretty :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The ship interior fail is hard to excuse. Even just recycle the maps and apply fresh textures to the walls would be better than the zero we get for so many ships. My carrier with a crew of thousands has a bridge that is basically a 20 yard circle with a couple of access consoles and one officer I can talk to. My $25 scimitar had 2 whole rooms, one almost passable as a bridge. The free ship I got at level 10 for my klingon had 3 levels, dozens of rooms, crew all over the place, and more. All they had to do was recycle that map, change the textures on the walls and it would be an improvement for the scim or carrier --- not ideal, but anything is better than nothing at all.

Or use the interior maps from some of the "board and bash" ship missions. There are a ton to pick from.

Ive been tempted to use my one foundry slot to make an interior for my ship, but I cant put in the access points so its kind of useless.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, I can still think of at least five other aspects of the game, that need more attention than ESD.

Like DS9 ;).
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Like DS9 ;).

Like Ship Interiors.

Oh, hey! That IS the topic! ;)
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Like DS9 ;).
    bergins wrote: »
    Like Ship Interiors.

Oh, hey! That IS the topic! ;)

This. Exactly this.
  • Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This. Exactly this.

If the "Foundry" had been developed "well" it would have been a prime system to create a sub-set from specifically designed for players to build and/or modify existing ship interiors for their own personal and even community use.

But Cryptic would never go for that.

Their one guy working on Foundry is doing textures for the ship team or something.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You know what? All this flying around in Starships takes too long, and is too confusing. I have a busy life, and don't have time for it. We should just be able to go anywhere, and do anything from the login screen. Optimally, it would be nice if the game could just play itself, then I could just look in from time, to time, to see how it's doing.

:D

(/10char)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    manjimarufinmanjimarufin Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi all, returning player here. I played STO a bit shortly after the launch but got bored with the game around the time I hit Lieutenant commander and left.

Now I decided to give it a f2p try again, and I am very excited about all that has changed since then! I spent first two days stuck with the game since it was so fun, feels 100 times better than it used to be.

I wanted to say that at least half of the reason for this is ship bridge, interiors and duty officers, giving me that immersion that seems to be in short supply in modern MMOs. My jaw dropped when I found out I could take turbolift to crew and engineering decks.. Sure it will become repetitive at some point, but I love the possibility now. My first idea was throw 50 euros for zen , get some stuff and keep playing the game.. So mission accomplished, whoever was behind this!

Second half of why I was drawn in were awesome storymissions I went thru (my favorites so far are "What lies beneath" and "Everything old is new". Awesome!).

One thing though, devs should make it clearer on the mission tracker which missions are story missions and which are 'normal' fleet actions or whatever. I had to look up the wiki to find out. Story missions are so cool one shouldn't miss out on them.
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 785 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's a shame that the devs seem to be holding off on this because they were hurt by what happened before with the SG Base system and Hideout system.

There's a lot of potential to make this into something amazing that even the new players could be excited about. Especially since this is a Star Trek game.

If they can't do it, at least let the players via the Neverwinter map building tech. Any new players who are pretty big fans of Star Trek would go nuts (in a good way) if they got to see player-assembled interiors like in the shows (such as using Origin parts), or even that they'd be able to do it themselves.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    - FULL Ship interiors cost a LOT of time/manpower/money to develop.
    - There is, as players repeat constantly, nothing to do there, so players don't USE their interiors.
    - There used to be more to DO in your interior, but people complained about having to run all over their ship, so all of that was consolidated to your bridge.
    - There is no good reason to throw money at making these huge interiors with nothing to do in them, when players are going to run around them once, and then ignore them for the rest of time.

Sorry Taco, but that's a pants excuse. A few scattered consoles and pointless assignment contacts was not and never will be a good reason to go inside the ship. Don't blame the players for your team's refusal to come up with any fresh creative ideas on ship interior usage.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    raktajinoraktajino Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The Sims got monetized pretty well. What's the difference? Has this comparison been examined? I mean, both are games / mini games involving models of small spaces.

Personally, I love the interiors. It helps to remember that in the shows, the set designs were very important and they put a lot of effort into them to help suspend disbelief.
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Three ideas I have are shrinking bridges a little, adding more LCARS panels so theres no twins and tweaking viewscreens so they randomize each time.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I will understand that ship interiors are hard to design if they had the exactly same shape than your ship, and they were realistic (no more gigantic hallways, for example). But the way they are now... hard to design / implement??. lol, not really. But again, cryptic prefers to waste their time in stupid nad unnecessary things like designing a new esd. It is how they work, they cant fix / re vamp the most important things, so they work on the easy ones. New content. lol. :o:D
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Sorry Taco, but that's a pants excuse. A few scattered consoles and pointless assignment contacts was not and never will be a good reason to go inside the ship. Don't blame the players for your team's refusal to come up with any fresh creative ideas on ship interior usage.

Correct. How about some story scenarios that utilize the ship's interiors? I assume every ship has a lounge, engineering, bridge, Cap's quarters, and Labs, so why not put some branching dialog with unforeseen consequences that are made known later on? You know, an evolving story that's based on the player's choices. It's really nice when you choices matter and have impact on your game rather than completing discreet stories that have no bearing on your ship and crew. Maybe you lose a bridge officer because you made a bad command decision or had to sacrifice someone to save the ship? A good MMORPG should absolutely have choices that matter.

Also, some better looking, less vacuous ship interiors would be nice too. The current scale is immersion-breaking.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sorry Taco, but that's a pants excuse.

Speaking of "pants," nice necro. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    prolegapprolegap Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well, the issue really hasn't gone anywhere, so the thread does deserve a new life.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    prolegap wrote: »
    Well, the issue really hasn't gone anywhere, so the thread does deserve a new life.

LOL, same situation in 75% of the posts in these forums lol.

If they dont want a necro to emerge, then moderators should close it. They dont do their work, so i am not going to check if a thread is necro every time i have something to add. BTW, what is considered here "necro" isnt in millions of forums. Precisely here , the threads should be opened for months , even years in some cases. Since the main issue of the post will never be resolved.
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Blame my fleet leader who linked it in facebook.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Blame my fleet leader who linked it in facebook.

Fleet leader didn't necro the thread, did he? Or are you suggesting he threatened you if you didn't do so? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hey hey now!

BAD ZOMBIE BAD GO BACK TO THE GROUND!

Seriously folks, if a thread hasn't been responded to in 30 days please don't bring it back up :( If you feel you need to continue the thread by all means make a new one! :)

/Closed ~Askray
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.