test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Exploration and Ship Interiors: Capturing that "Star Trek" Feeling

Comments

• redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I am for one wishing there was more interior functionality. I love my conny interior, I wish there was a "HOME" button I could hit and that's where I would end up. If there was a way to give us the LEGO pieces and the 10x20 LEGO base plate to build interiors ourselves, I would jump on it. There's the Foundry tool, but how much can be extended to make social/personal space without the mission building part? As far as bank, exchange and so on... maybe a slot system saying, you can setup a bank access, but not an exchange at the same time... Worried people could build too big of a set? Just give it a budget to keep size down...

Server not responding (1701 s)
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Meh, there are different interpretations for everything. You see us giving up on something that COULD work if we kept trying at it. We see us giving up on something that didn't work, and focusing our efforts on things that do work.

Neither is wrong, just different perspectives.

Edit: As for ESD, part of this is the same reason we've revamped early missions recently. Yes, YOU have played that mission a thousand times. But, there are always new players, and making the early parts of the game (including ESD) suck less, so people stick around more and keep playing.

ESD is at it's root, functional. But it fails in a lot of ways. It's confusing. It's not good at imparting that "Star Trek" feel. There's no "wow" moment for a new player. And for those later in the game, there's a lot of running to get to some things. Hopefully we can fix some of that.

As someone who started very recently I get what you are saying here. I definitely got frustrated having to spend so much time running round ESD.

However, to me the things that are farthest away from the entry point (eg. Bank, Exchange and Security Officer for handing in Contraband) are things that should be available on our ship, from anywhere in the galaxy anyway. So fixing up interiors goes hand in hand with fixing the ESD problem.

This would also mean we'd have to stop wasting an inventory slot carrying the Azure caller around with us.
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    i said multiple times in other threads, i don't know why they don't copy starfleet command random missions you would get when you went to the unexplored area, you would get things like:

- defending a planet from an asteroid that was about to hit
    - giant monsters like the crystalline entity
    - fighting random klingons/romulans/whatever in the while dodging black holes and other anomalies
    - help setup a new starbase/research station/etc
    - explore a planet only to find it was home to some energy beings
    - find a derelict fleet in the middle of some weird anomaly and having to rescue the escape pods/fight said anomaly
    - find an orion pirate base in the middle of nowhere
    - and many other things

its funny how a game made 15 years ago, manages to have better exploration/random events than STO, why can't they just... copy that?
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I always liked that in Earth and Beyond you always saw your ship when it was docked at a space station, though I don't know how feasible that would be in STO.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Meh, there are different interpretations for everything. You see us giving up on something that COULD work if we kept trying at it. We see us giving up on something that didn't work, and focusing our efforts on things that do work.

Edit: As for ESD, part of this is the same reason we've revamped early missions recently. Yes, YOU have played that mission a thousand times. But, there are always new players, and making the early parts of the game (including ESD) suck less, so people stick around more and keep playing.

ESD is at it's root, functional. But it fails in a lot of ways. It's confusing. It's not good at imparting that "Star Trek" feel. There's no "wow" moment for a new player. And for those later in the game, there's a lot of running to get to some things. Hopefully we can fix some of that.

Ultimately, I'm not really sure it matters what it looks like. I wish the social zones in this game had something resembling a way to be social. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone in Club 47.

You guys are good at designing yet another place to access in-game mail. You guys are bad at giving those places some kind of social functionality, like poker. Even something like a programmed in trivia competition that awards ECs to the winner would be a break through that would make ESD 10x better than an environmental artist could do with unlimited time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014

So basically trophies are to be only available for older ships with large interiors and no new trophies will be added to the game? That's sad.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Why won't devs answer my Thread

One answers

Y U No give me answer i want...you Wrong me right Me know more than you

Then you guys wonder why they don't come on the forums anymore.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Well I certainly appreciate your honest perspective of the situation, and it does make sense. I can also agree that neither perspective is wrong, just different.

I can't speak for new players, but I can tell you the first time I walked into ESD I was wowed, and during the first cosmetic overhaul of ESD I was wowed even more. But that's art aesthetics and trying to press my anecdotal personal experience on a large demographic of players.

As far as ESD being confusing -- you spent time and labor creating better signage to make ESD less confusing. I mean it's now a color-coded circular map where if you run around, it'll only be a matter of time until you inevitably end up where you intended to. And there are signs everywhere and big symbols that show where everything is.

I think it's as idiot-proof as it gets without dumbing ESD even more and simply putting a console in front of the transporter room that has bank/exchange/vendor/tailor/NPC contact/commodity/shipyard access/bridge officer trainer/etc. access so you literally have to walk 10 feet away from the transporter pad and do whatever you need to do at ESD. Now you've just made ESD consist entirely of the transporter room and a console that gives you access to everything.

I can appreciate trying to make things better, and I'm sure whenever ESD is finished (again) I'll be amazed at the art team's talent, skill and hard work. But I'm also sure when I'm looking around I'll be thinking, "If they only did this the first or second time, this talent could have been applied elsewhere to parts of the game that needed it and currently need it."
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm pretty puzzled here. We're getting a new ESD? Because the one we have is confusing? Really? As has been said, unless you make it one big room or put everything into one easy-access console, I don't see how it could be easier. Everything is laid out in a hub. Even if you can't remember where the bank is, you'll find it if you run around the loop. If part of the redesign is to "up" the "Wow" factor, I think it should be kept in mind that part of the "Wow" is "Wow, this place is BIG!!", so a redesign that makes it "easier to get around" is likely to take away from the "Wow" factor. I don't see how a claim that redesigning ESD will accomplish both won't disappoint in one way or the other.

Really, if a Hub were in need of a redesign, how about 1st City? I don't know about anyone else, but I hate Hate HATE having to pick my way around that place. It is why I alligned my Romulan with ths Federation rather than the KDF. For that matter, DS9 is nice, in that it is a general hub shape, but the majority of the of the features that make it a HUB (mail, exchange ,shipyard, etc) are in spurs off the hub, loosing the convenience of making it a hub. Why not bring it all to the Prominade?

All this aside, I have seen very little in comments about how ESD is too confusing how it isn't grand enough to make one go "Wow!!" I have, however, seen multiple threads asking for ship interiors & missions involving them, and I believe some of them were even started by newer players, the ones supposedly targeted buy a ESD Redesign. Seems that maybe it's something that should be a priority higher than a new ESD.

We're told it is a lot of work to design ship interiors and that is why it isn't going to be practicle to do, especially since there are so many ships out there to consider. My solution is simple. Think about how many decks a starship has. These things are mind-bogglingly HUGE. I think Taco made the commemt about fitting a stadium inside the saucer of a ship. There are a LOT of decks. How many of them can we visit? Very few. So, if we are suddenly called upon to repel a boarding party or find the tribbles overtaking a Jefferies Tube, we go to the turbolift and one of the destination options could be the appropriate location. It doesn't have to involve the decks we have (or DON'T have in the case of my D'Kora) at all! Make any hallways straight** so it is generic as far as layout and if the walls were skin-able, it would be like changing wallpaper to go from a Rom BOP to a KDF Battlecruiser to a Fed Vesta to a Ferengi D'Kora. As time goes by, other missions could be developed using different locations: cargo hold, shuttle bay, etc. Each one using a stock generic map with skins to make it look "right."

** But Bergins, says you: the hallways need to be round, my ship has a saucer! No! says I. What if the mission is in your engineering hull? Circular hallways in a straight section of the ship is a horrible use of space, and for that matter, why the heck is main engineering obvoiusly in the saucer section of our maps when it should, obviously, be in the engineering hull?? So, while we're at it, how about making that it's own destination from the turbolifts?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    edited February 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Ultimately, I'm not really sure it matters what it looks like. I wish the social zones in this game had something resembling a way to be social. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone in Club 47.
    Is that why they put Q in there?:cool:
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Meh, there are different interpretations for everything. You see us giving up on something that COULD work if we kept trying at it. We see us giving up on something that didn't work, ...

I'm sorry, but that's a bit of a circular argument, as the reason interiors don't work is... because you gave up on them!

Interiors could be a big Zen thing for you guys. If you make beautiful bridges (like on Elachi ships, for instance), and ditch the old ESD-style, DX8 graphics bridges, people would flock to buy them. Especially if you made them modular: like upgradable Interior Unlock Projects -- you know, the kind you do for the Starbase/Mine/Embassy. Now, those would be grinds I'd gladly do! And pay good money for too. Build it, and they will come!

Much like Ship 'Costume' Unlock Projects, I think you guys are severely underestimating how much people are willing to invest in looks. Which is to say, you kinda get it half-way: you understand people want to dress up their toons, but then fail to grasp a ship exterior/interior is nothing more than an extension of that selfsame person.
    ESD is at it's root, functional. But it fails in a lot of ways. It's confusing. It's not good at imparting that "Star Trek" feel. There's no "wow" moment for a new player.

True. You guys went all-out for the Flotilla, though, which really *is* gorgeous! So, why not do a similar overhaul for ESD? You know, to give that new player that much sought-after 'wow' feeling. Or give us Feds access to the Flotilla (in the latter case, I'd likely never be on ESD any more; which, I realize, causes you to think that this alone is a good reason not to allow it; but you could also take it as an admission, to yourselves, that ESD has become sub-par).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bergins wrote: »
    I'm pretty puzzled here. We're getting a new ESD? Because the one we have is confusing? Really? As has been said, unless you make it one big room or put everything into one easy-access console, I don't see how it could be easier.

You'll want to be reeeal careful here. After "switch ships anywhere," making ESD one universal-access-to-everything console might not be such a stretch. :o
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm all for having everything from ESD (mail, exchange etc.)on my ship, and Cryptic making a special chat channel called Star fleet/Republic/KDF Subspace as a STO global chat that's only found in your ready room, so when you're in your ready room it would be like being in ESD.

but that's just me
    GwaoHAD.png
  • firestorm10491firestorm10491 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Glad to see some further discussion on the issue and that players feel the same way about it.

Taco, I have a lot of respect for you and BranFlakes walking in here and actually answering questions and at least trying to show the company listens to us. That can not be an easy job with the TRIBBLE we hand you guys at times.

Back on topic though I don't know about anyone else but I am bored and sick to death of ship after ship with the C-Store. The other thing you have done with this is detract from the value of your other ships, the natural T5s of the game and the older C-Store ships. What is the point in spending 2500 zen for that Galaxy as a silver player? The player ends up going for something else and doesn't have much point to spend on another ship again. This is quite frankly the one reason I have stopped using the store. Its also one reason I don't even bother with lockboxes anymore as well. I have already voted with my wallet by saying no thanks.

The DS9, TOS and ENT bundles were absolutely great and I continue to get value out of those if you released a Voyager one for the Delta Quadrant I would buy it, and god knows the Intrepid could use some love to bring it up to the new ship standards. I would buy a TNG (Galaxy needs love too), and Sovereign themed ones too. The doffs, weapons, uniforms and interiors made those packs worth it. dstahl had said that we would get these sometime in the future at one point. The reason the C-Store bridge packs didn't sell that well is they looked like TRIBBLE and people wanted the real thing like we have with the Defiant. I would also buy an Origin Interior if it was completed because it actually looked good.

Even if the interiors didn't get better functionality anytime soon its something I do hope you guys will revisit it and knock our socks off and prove that you guys haven't given up but instead chose to have a breakthrough and improve on a feature that has needed fixing. Given the fact this topic comes up all the time it might be worth paying attention too, and to innovate something useful is by adding features that we can only do in-ship.

On the subject of exploration fixes I can't remember the last time I even visited one of those areas outside of trying to complete the doff assignments for them. Other than that I got very tired of the same TRIBBLE over and over again. Stopped really going there after the currency change and the fact that we didn't get that much for doing it.

Some of us can't help but feel that we aren't being listened to since I haven't seen any complaining about the missions other than bugs or the fact our spacedock is functional as it is and no one has complained about it on the forums. Whereas both of these subjects have kept coming up. Redoing things to us seems like a huge waste of resources when they could be better used to improve features that weren't finished or seem lacking.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Glad to see some further discussion on the issue and that players feel the same way about it.

Taco, I have a lot of respect for you and BranFlakes walking in here and actually answering questions and at least trying to show the company listens to us. That can not be an easy job with the TRIBBLE we hand you guys at times.

Back on topic though I don't know about anyone else but I am bored and sick to death of ship after ship with the C-Store. The other thing you have done with this is detract from the value of your other ships, the natural T5s of the game and the older C-Store ships. What is the point in spending 2500 zen for that Galaxy as a silver player? The player ends up going for something else and doesn't have much point to spend on another ship again. This is quite frankly the one reason I have stopped using the store. Its also one reason I don't even bother with lockboxes anymore as well. I have already voted with my wallet by saying no thanks.

The DS9, TOS and ENT bundles were absolutely great and I continue to get value out of those if you released a Voyager one for the Delta Quadrant I would buy it, and god knows the Intrepid could use some love to bring it up to the new ship standards. I would buy a TNG (Galaxy needs love too), and Sovereign themed ones too. The doffs, weapons, uniforms and interiors made those packs worth it. dstahl had said that we would get these sometime in the future at one point. The reason the C-Store bridge packs didn't sell that well is they looked like TRIBBLE and people wanted the real thing like we have with the Defiant. I would also buy an Origin Interior if it was completed because it actually looked good.

Even if the interiors didn't get better functionality anytime soon its something I do hope you guys will revisit it and knock our socks off and prove that you guys haven't given up but instead chose to have a breakthrough and improve on a feature that has needed fixing. Given the fact this topic comes up all the time it might be worth paying attention too, and to innovate something useful is by adding features that we can only do in-ship.

On the subject of exploration fixes I can't remember the last time I even visited one of those areas outside of trying to complete the doff assignments for them. Other than that I got very tired of the same TRIBBLE over and over again. Stopped really going there after the currency change and the fact that we didn't get that much for doing it.

Some of us can't help but feel that we aren't being listened to since I haven't seen any complaining about the missions other than bugs or the fact our spacedock is functional as it is and no one has complained about it on the forums. Whereas both of these subjects have kept coming up. Redoing things to us seems like a huge waste of resources when they could be better used to improve features that weren't finished or seem lacking.

I can see value in redoing ESD and DS9. Likewise, I can see value in redoing Deferra Borg Invasion and Nukara to be more like the Dyson Battlezone. It's how much value that is the issue.

I see a lot of value in DS9 because:

1 It is a boost for all three factions.
    2. The map improvements could apply to fleet holdings
    3. It has little value except as a Transwarp hub at the moment.
    4. Frankly, I think a number of the missions there are as weak or weaker than some missions that have gotten the axe before. I'd favor gutting and or remastering 5-6+ missions and using an improved station setting as a content hub.
    5. Do it right and I can see a fleet holding, one or more reputations, a lot of R&D, and a lot of good content coming out of it. Both at a point where it seems to me that you have some trouble retaining players and as an endgame area that would entice players.

It would mean gutting some stuff and reworking some stuff like the beginning and end of the Dominion FE series.

But you get the basis for, say, a Nor fleet holding, a Mirror Terok Nor STF/battlezone, revised Empok Nor, some reputations... really a whole LOT of content when you start imagining a properly populated Promenade (with full sized restaurants and stores; not just mall kiosks) and a habitat ring. Maybe plus further use of the Bajor ground map.

I also feel like the rewards for that retuning could be fun. Spiral Wave Dual Heavy Cannons. A Cardassian BO. A Terran BO. Mirror hull textures for more ships or mirror shuttles.

Along the way, maybe adding MU Klingon/Cardassian and Cardassian costumes to the Lobi Store and/or proper Ferengi suits and/or the Jake Sisko collection of oddball future fashion. A Dabo revamp, possibly including a Lobi/Latinum merger. Some fun Klingon-themed stuff in the vein of DS9 Klingon episodes and building off some of the station's Klingon flavor.

DS9 could be the foundation for a lot and could also be great for prototyping more lively ship interiors.
    edited February 2014
    So, I think I had a pretty good thought toward the whole interior missions thing, and realize I encased it in a wall of tl/dr.

So, here it is again.
    We're told it is a lot of work to design ship interiors and that is why it isn't going to be practicle to do, especially since there are so many ships out there to consider. My solution is simple. Think about how many decks a starship has. These things are mind-bogglingly HUGE. I think Taco made the commemt about fitting a stadium inside the saucer of a ship.

There are a LOT of decks. How many of them can we visit? Very few. So, if we are suddenly called upon to repel a boarding party or find the tribbles overtaking a Jefferies Tube, we go to the turbolift and one of the destination options could be the appropriate location. It doesn't have to involve the decks we have (or DON'T have in the case of my D'Kora) at all!

Make any hallways straight** so it is generic as far as layout and if the walls were skin-able, it would be like changing wallpaper to go from a Rom BOP to a KDF Battlecruiser to a Fed Vesta to a Ferengi D'Kora. As time goes by, other missions could be developed using different locations: cargo hold, shuttle bay, etc. Each one using a stock generic map with skins to make it look "right."

** But Bergins, says you: the hallways need to be round, my ship has a saucer! No! says I. What if the mission is in your engineering hull? Circular hallways in a straight section of the ship is a horrible use of space, and for that matter, why the heck is main engineering obvoiusly in the saucer section of our maps when it should, obviously, be in the engineering hull?? So, while we're at it, how about making that it's own destination from the turbolifts?
    Still too long? Summary:
    1. Ignore current maps, missions take place on other levels in maps that have generic layouts.
    2. To start mission, the proper deck will pop up as a choice when you enter the turbolift.
    3. Maps have skins, like wallpaper, that make them fit different factions/ships.
    4. This also solves the problem for ships that currently have no interior maps.
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    So basically trophies are to be only available for older ships with large interiors and no new trophies will be added to the game? That's sad.

My old, now-unstickied visual trophy guide hasn't had anything to update it with since March 5, 2011 (The "No Kill I" trophy)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    You know what? All this flying around in Starships takes too long, and is too confusing. I have a busy life, and don't have time for it. We should just be able to go anywhere, and do anything from the login screen. Optimally, it would be nice if the game could just play itself, then I could just look in from time, to time, to see how it's doing.

Star Trek is primarily based on flying around in a Starship. If you want no starship then maybe check out Stargate Online.

The game actually should be operate as if you are a on a starship, on a planet, or etc concerning timewise. I don't know why Cryptic did not make it so you can log in and log out anytime you want while your character stays in the persistent world. Meaning, you can tell your crew to set a course to whatever. When you get back home from work and/or school it would be possible to login and go from there.

If time is a issue, then they should allow a player to upgrade to warp 14 after several doffs missions or warp core upgrades. If so, they could do something like Sol System with (9 planets) etc.
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The gist of my lost post:

Ship interiors should be story content and the key to more rapid releases. I don't expect it tomorrow or 9 months from now but I think it's worthy of an expansion centered on it. I favor interiors as reputation, as personal holding, areas as fleet holdings (a state room, for example), as story content, as adventure zone, and as a social hub.

It is a challenge. It's a worthy challenge. I'm thankful Taco came here but this is a feature that probably needs the coordination of every team on the game and planning/coordinating from upper management. It can be hard. I think it's worth it.

It's not as easy as "just do it" and while there are challenges, they aren't impossible ones with some sacrifices and some long term strategic planning.

Foundry interiors are DOA for those not aware. NW's Foundry won't be getting ported to STO.

My solution to the multiple interiors is to build the content to the interior. nYou don't need to remake the same missions for the Belfast interior that the standard or TOS interior get. It also doesn't need to be strictly factioned.

What I think works is to have mission chains, for example, that use the Belfast interior. If you have this interior on your ship, you can launch these from your bridge. If you don't, you can visit a friend who does or track down a Defiant family class patrol ship in the open world and play these missions aboard an NPC Defiant.

This model could also allow for gradual development of three deck interiors for all types of ship because developing a full Wells/Mobius interior, for example, is no longer strictly for the lockbox players. Developing a full Orion, Gorn, Dominion, alternate Klingon, etc. interior is no longer just for people who fly those ships.

It becomes something tied to ships of that type in the open world. Again, using a Nimbus/Dyson Battlezone/etc. model and a feature episode model.

Ship interiors become a new setting for Featured Episodes and adventure zones, for fleet holdings, for personal holdings. That's how you do it.

What you are asking is for paid mission content (special missions exclusive to individual ship interiors, including special C-Store bridges/interiors), which is not something that I think many players would actively support, and not something that would fit with Cryptic's plans. Also it sounds a little odd, but I know there would probably be players switching around their ship interiors on the same ship just to get "all" the content, not just the content that happens to fit the interior they choose for themselves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    why do i always have to go to ESD to change my outfit dont recall one captain in TV ever having to go back to ESD to get a new one or just to change out of a old one change a ship i get but now dont got to do that with change ship on the fly now.........exchange i get also but we now have tuff's and such that can do that why not a starship ??????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited February 2014
    It's a facetious reference to one of Tacofang's reasons for revamping ESD. Too much running around. I'm continuously amused, by people who come forward with requests like " Dear developers, please remove (X) as it takes too much time to do, and I have limited time to play videogames every week". Well, who's fault is that? Maybe an MMO isn't your best suit. Try something you can play for 10 minutes, like Candy Crush Land.

It's the equivalent of saying "I can't conform to the rules, so please make the rules conform to me".

and this why we really have a rep system because i cant play but a few hours a week and never got MK 12 set.........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited February 2014

The layout of ESD is kind of inefficient. Perhaps a more vertical design would be better? 1st level, shipyards and transporters, 2nd level administration, 3rd level requisitions, 4th level exchange, etc. Keep the radial pattern, but put a turbo lift in the center.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
    edited February 2014
    donrah wrote: »
    The layout of ESD is kind of inefficient. Perhaps a more vertical design would be better? 1st level, shipyards and transporters, 2nd level administration, 3rd level requisitions, 4th level exchange, etc. Keep the radial pattern, but put a turbo lift in the center.
    Adding load screens doesn't seem like a way to improve efficiency.
  • donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited February 2014
    I'm not seeing it. How is adding three more circles and a turbolift load, more efficient than running around one circle?

Each level would be small enough to accommodate their department. For example, the exchange/bank section being a single level or the club being its own level.
    Adding load screens doesn't seem like a way to improve efficiency.

It is possible to have all of them loaded into the same map simultaneously (all of ESD, except for the shipyard, is already a single map right now, so we know it can be done). Then a turbo lift would just be an instantaneous transport. Have you ever been to Deep Space Sierra 39 or Deep Space K7? They do the exact same thing I'm talking about, switching between parts of the station without a loading screen. Go to one of those stations, open your map, and zoom all the way out. There are islands where the admiral's/Wildman's offices are hiding. It's a common practice to place non contiguous rooms into the same map and teleport the player there when they activate a door trigger.

Seriously guys, use your imagination. Instead of thinking about how it can't work, try to imagine how it could work. Nobody ever accomplished anything by focusing on how something won't work.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, I can still think of at least five other aspects of the game, that need more attention than ESD.

but revamping ESD would make sto look all so more pretty :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The ship interior fail is hard to excuse. Even just recycle the maps and apply fresh textures to the walls would be better than the zero we get for so many ships. My carrier with a crew of thousands has a bridge that is basically a 20 yard circle with a couple of access consoles and one officer I can talk to. My $25 scimitar had 2 whole rooms, one almost passable as a bridge. The free ship I got at level 10 for my klingon had 3 levels, dozens of rooms, crew all over the place, and more. All they had to do was recycle that map, change the textures on the walls and it would be an improvement for the scim or carrier --- not ideal, but anything is better than nothing at all.

Or use the interior maps from some of the "board and bash" ship missions. There are a ton to pick from.

Ive been tempted to use my one foundry slot to make an interior for my ship, but I cant put in the access points so its kind of useless.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, I can still think of at least five other aspects of the game, that need more attention than ESD.

Like DS9 ;).
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited February 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Like DS9 ;).

Like Ship Interiors.

Oh, hey! That IS the topic! ;)
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Like DS9 ;).
    Like Ship Interiors.

Oh, hey! That IS the topic! ;)

This. Exactly this.
This discussion has been closed.