test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ranks are gained much too quickly

2»

Comments

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My suggestion to the OP, go do some foundry missions, that will slow you down.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    STO indeed levels quite fast. You won't be finished with the storyline by the time you hit 50. With luck, you'll be halfway through the Cardassian story arc.

Indeed, having a ship just understood and then time to upgrade is something of an issue. Or it seems that way. On Fed and KDF, the next tier ships are really the same, but with more guns, more abilities and more health. A Cheyenne at level 20 Fed performs almost the same as the level 30 Galaxy, she just turns a little faster and has less of everything else.

On Romulans, this is an issue, especially with the Mogai. You play it during levels 20-30, of which 5 missions are mostly ground. You never get the chance to get the hang of it.

But for alt characters, this is somewhat of a blessing. Since Cryptic encourages you to have at least 3 characters, and many more are also perfect for Cryptic, they made leveling not a process that will have you occupied for months. That would significantly reduce the amount of characters in the game.

And like said above: STO only really starts at level 50, when you can do all the group content, play whatever you want and so on.
  • tormirtormir Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Make sure you play Q's shell game every day. Three times through and I'm done for the day, I don't even bother with doff missions.
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The actual leveling speed and whatnot are totally fine, but ranks are all wrong... I'm with the people that believe that ranking up should end at Captain. Also, getting a promotion should be a legitimate event, rather than simply:

Admiral Quinn: "Hey, dude, I promoted you. Here are some new slots and stuff. Have fun."

Player Character: "Yay, I can haz new free ship!"
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mvp333 wrote: »
    The actual leveling speed and whatnot are totally fine, but ranks are all wrong... I'm with the people that believe that ranking up should end at Captain. Also, getting a promotion should be a legitimate event, rather than simply:

Admiral Quinn: "Hey, dude, I promoted you. Here are some new slots and stuff. Have fun."

Player Character: "Yay, I can haz new free ship!"
    If they limited advancement to Captain Rank then people would simply be complaining about why Kirk, Riker, Decker, and other less noteworthy NPCs were able to command ships past Captain Rank. The STO forum is a "no win" zone. :)

And there used to be a small ceremony each time you advanced in Rank. Unfortunately few bothered to do it and it was removed - because no one wanted to go back to ESD and do it, as that slowed them down from all that pew-pewing. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    If they limited advancement to Captain Rank then people would simply be complaining about why Kirk, Riker, Decker, and other less noteworthy NPCs were able to command ships past Captain Rank. The STO forum is a "no win" zone. :)
    Heh, I suppose, but IMO, NPCs should be the special-case admirals (Tuvok comes to mind), since they're controllable in number... Players should just be Captains.

And there used to be a small ceremony each time you advanced in Rank. Unfortunately few bothered to do it and it was removed - because no one wanted to go back to ESD and do it, as that slowed them down from all that pew-pewing. :)

Well... facepalm. They should probably bring that back, just as an optional, and perhaps only for Captain/Admiral ranks... I go back to ESD to get new ships, so why not a quick ceremony for leveling up?

...However, that still doesn't help how fast ranking up is. Considering the speed of promotion, going back to Spacedock for it every time could get annoying.
  • timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited February 2014
    I agree that leveling is a tad too fast in this game. But in the past, it used to be too slow. . .I'll take too fast over too slow. Leveling a character, especially on the KDF side, was a long and dull process.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Actually every promotion should only be available after you did the Generations sail ship scene where they make you grab the hat and remove the plank!!! Every single time!!!! :D
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    timelord79 wrote: »
    Actually every promotion should only be available after you did the Generations sail ship scene where they make you grab the hat and remove the plank!!! Every single time!!!! :D

While they're at it, they should put some sharks in the water too. :D
  • suzy32suzy32 Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Is it just me or are the gaps between the ranks just way too small? I am by no means rushing through the game I've only been playing just over two weeks and have only completed the very first season of missions (Klingon War) and yet I'm already a level 32 Captain.

Literally as soon as I get used to a ship it's already time to upgrade to a new one, the game is running much too fast and at this rate I'll be an Admiral within another two weeks.

It's pretty much a case of do one mission and you earn a promotion so there's no real sense of achievement :(

Compare this to another online game I used to play a lot called World of Tanks where it can take a good six months+ of play to get to the highest tier of vehicles of just one faction.

I think the game needs to be stretched out a lot more, say make the gaps between the ranks four or five times larger than they are now so you have to spend a good month on a ship before upgrading to the next one.

You are so correct player are getting to level 50 in just 2 days when I started Took 3 weeks. they took out the enjoyment of leveling a toon. But on the other hand some players want to rush just don't know which is the great percentage .

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=590121
  • realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I find "ranking" in other games to be too long, a simple ploy to grab my time, and frustrating. I like the ranking here in STO, given the way STFs etc are structured, it was one of the early aspects that kept me interested in the game.

If the ranking was made to be much slower I probably wouldn't want to start any new characters.
  • villetta#5537 villetta Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Once you start the Dominion episodes, the EXP takes a dive.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    timelord79 wrote: »
    While they're at it, they should put some sharks in the water too. :D
    Sounds like fun. The question is would it be repeatable after lvl 50?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock