test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cloaked Barrage - Time for Enhanced Battle Cloak Upgrade

kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
So now that we have romulan dreadnoughts unleashing barrages of fire while under cloak, it seems like it might be time to upgrade the enhanced battle cloak. By that of course, I mean returning it to its intended state: that depicted in Star Trek VI.

With the advent of the romulan dreadnought, there is no reason that the B'rel and T'varo retrofits should not be able to fire their torpedoes under cloak, without the currently lame 3 second decloak/cloak bandaid.
Post edited by kolbrandr on

Comments

• Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member Posts: 265
    edited February 2014
    Well they gave the Klingon "avenger" battle cloak, which is kinda a funny slap to the face to people who bought the avenger if you ask me (personally find it amusing, "hey you fed guys, guess what if you buy this ship you can also purchase another ship for a console oriented basic cloak! how awesome is that...oh and klingons get a built in battle cloak a few months later...but you guys get to pay for less! lol)

So don't worry im sure theyll release a ship or two later on for Klingons that have that ability.

Inb4ItsBuiltInwithNoConsoleSlotRequirement
  • Options
    vampirialvampirial Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Lore wise, doesn't the "perfect" cloak on the scimitar have to do with it's thalaron generator? And ingame it's supplied by a console, why would that be rolled out to all vessels it degrades the scimitars uniqueness.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I think a b'rel/t'varo-only console which allows them to *do exactly what we have seen them do* (the B'rel anyways) would be a fantastic solution.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well they gave the Klingon "avenger" battle cloak, which is kinda a funny slap to the face to people who bought the avenger if you ask me (personally find it amusing, "hey you fed guys, guess what if you buy this ship you can also purchase another ship for a console oriented basic cloak! how awesome is that...oh and klingons get a built in battle cloak a few months later...but you guys get to pay for less! lol)

The Mogh Battlecruiser doesn't have a battle cloak. Learn your facts before you start complaining.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member Posts: 265
    edited February 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    The Mogh Battlecruiser doesn't have a battle cloak. Learn your facts before you start complaining.
    funny it said "battle cloak" in the in game description of the ship *goes to double check*

Also whose complaining? lol Just thought it was funny that its basically the same ship with a additional feature *if it has it still omw to double check*

Also do you have any actually feedback for the OP or did you simply post to comment on my post aka a useless post
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There is.. a lot of misinformation in this thread.

For one, the Scimitar/Dreadnought Warbird's ability to fire while cloaked is not an innate ability of the ship; it's a console set gimmick. Additionally, any ship can do this with the Tier 5 New Romulus Reputation ability.

As for the Avenger/Mogh thing: The Mogh(and all Klingon ships) pay for their cloak with less shields and higher crew compliment(which actually makes hull repairs slower). Furthermore, the Mogh does not get "Battle Cloak". The only KDF ships that have ever had access to cloaking while in combat are Raiders and the Peghqu Veteran Destroyer.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yes, everybody here is aware that it is a console ability. That would be perfectly acceptable for the brel and tvaro as well.

And the T5 reputation ability doesn't reflect what the brel is intended to do at all.

Once upon a time, the brel worked as intended. Then people cried, so they changed it. Now firing under cloak is good to go again (apparently). Give the brel and tvaro a console and let them fire their torpedoes under cloak.
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kolbrandr wrote: »
    So now that we have romulan dreadnoughts unleashing barrages of fire while under cloak, it seems like it might be time to upgrade the enhanced battle cloak. By that of course, I mean returning it to its intended state: that depicted in Star Trek VI.

With the advent of the romulan dreadnought, there is no reason that the B'rel and T'varo retrofits should not be able to fire their torpedoes under cloak, without the currently lame 3 second decloak/cloak bandaid.

personally on my b'rel I'd rather loose that awful gimmick and have a 3rd aft weapon slot if anything
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I did propose this awhile ago, just for the brel tho, but becouse it was accompanied with an upgrade to the defiant cloak too, via a set with quad cannons, kdf players jumped to flame it. Only Brel and not the Tvaro becouse as a rom warbird is allready op and it has its own console allready, along with a 2 pc set too with another console.
    While the idea itself its good, to upgrade the enhanced battle cloak to the cloak barrage mechanic (to enter and exist in the state when firing torps), i highly doubt it will be ever changed, since it wouldnt be too profitable.
    szerontzur wrote: »
    There is.. a lot of misinformation in this thread.

For one, the Scimitar/Dreadnought Warbird's ability to fire while cloaked is not an innate ability of the ship; it's a console set gimmick. Additionally, any ship can do this with the Tier 5 New Romulus Reputation ability.

As for the Avenger/Mogh thing: The Mogh(and all Klingon ships) pay for their cloak with less shields and higher crew compliment(which actually makes hull repairs slower). Furthermore, the Mogh does not get "Battle Cloak". The only KDF ships that have ever had access to cloaking while in combat are Raiders and the Peghqu Veteran Destroyer.

Funny... there is alot of misinformation in your post aswell. First, crew/hull reapair thing is a bug, and its invalid as a reason since it will get fixed eventually. Mogh has same shield as Avenger and its allready settle that the Mogh doesnt pay for its cloak, since according to the devs its not a big deal and the innate cloak its a kdf "thing" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    nagrom7nagrom7 Member Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just going to end the debate to get back on topic

The only difference between Mogh and Avenger cloaks, is the mogh has it built in where the avenger needs the console from one of the other ships.

Back to the B'rel/T'varo

I support being able to use the same scimitar console on those ships, it would help cryptic sell more scimitars (not that it seems to be an issue).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harden up Princess
    Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
    www.ausmonauts.com
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't see it harming sales of those ships. The B'rel-R and T'Varo-R only can fire torpedoes and some abilities while under cloak. While the Scimitar has shields while cloaked, and only a few seconds to fire energy weapons and torpedoes under cloak.

Though I'm inclined to agree about the cloak dropping when firing. But people forget the reason they did that was for gameplay balance. So PvErs and PvPers wouldn't have the ease of snipering targets without the threat of counterattack.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    funny it said "battle cloak" in the in game description of the ship *goes to double check*

Also whose complaining? lol Just thought it was funny that its basically the same ship with a additional feature *if it has it still omw to double check*

Excuse me, but you forgot something: yes on the surface both ships are the same.
    However please keep in mind that the Avenger has 500 crew while the Mogh has 2,000 and more crew is worse not better. So the balance is "hidden" there.
    Also do you have any actually feedback for the OP or did you simply post to comment on my post aka a useless post

Actually shpoks' post wasn't useless when you consider it made you doublecheck.
    In fact it contributed something to the conversation because it got rid of a minor error.
    Please be fair here and consider that not every contribution to the discussion must always adress the original point of the OP. Sometimes posts that don't can be just as important.:)

Anyway on topic: the B'rel in Star Trek VI was restricted to torpedoes...and in fact had a very low RoF compared to what we saw other BoPs do. So it's not even remotely the same as the cloaked barrage of the Scimitar.
    Both the B'rel and the T'varo are small enough to be, by comparison, the captain's yacht on the Scimitar so they don't have them same power reserves to tap for such a stunt. That have their maneuverability and the ability to use the features of their EBC whenever they want to compensate instead.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mosul33 wrote: »
    Funny... there is alot of misinformation in your post aswell. First, crew/hull reapair thing is a bug, and its invalid as a reason since it will get fixed eventually. Mogh has same shield as Avenger and its allready settle that the Mogh doesnt pay for its cloak, since according to the devs its not a big deal and the innate cloak its a kdf "thing" :rolleyes:

lol... Crew has been broken since the beginning... So believing it will be fixed eventually is like believing humanity will get around to being able to breathe under water without assistance.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    <snip>

....Mogh has same shield as Avenger and its allready settle that the Mogh doesnt pay for its cloak, since according to the devs its not a big deal and the innate cloak its a kdf "thing" :rolleyes:

*double-checks* Well, I stand corrected. I suppose that does make it a bit a-typical for a Klingon ship.

As for the topic at hand, I agree with Azurianstar. EBC is a rather exotic thing and I think it works fairly in its current iteration. (I kind of wish more of the game had trade-offs instead of all the direct power creep we've been getting.)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Anyway on topic: the B'rel in Star Trek VI was restricted to torpedoes...and in fact had a very low RoF compared to what we saw other BoPs do. So it's not even remotely the same as the cloaked barrage of the Scimitar.

True, but the scimitar didn't have the rate of fire that the ship in this game does either.

The comparison between the Cloaked Barrage and EBC is because back in the day, the B'rel fired while cloaked (torpedoes only), but people cried, so they implemented the lame decloak/cloak thing. Now here comes the comparison...since it is now deemed "okay" to be able to fire while cloaked, why not return the B'rel to its original functionality? Hell, make it a console.

We don't want to unleash cannon scatter volleys like the scimitar. Just fire some torpedoes.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited February 2014

So instead of doing the sensible thing and discuss balance based on the system we have you'd like people to discuss balance based on a game mechanic we have:

- not seen
    - not tested
    - we have no clue how it will affect the game's balance
    - we don't even have an ETA on its implemantation

and you really feel justified rolling eyes at others?
  • Options
    trycksh0ttrycksh0t Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Question: would the 'new' EBC have the same mechanics as Cloaked Barrage? Such as only gaining maximum effect with a full singularity charge (probably not, there's no such thing for the B'rel), drain power from a subsystem when it wears off, only function for a period of time instead of being constantly active?

An EBC that keeps the ship perpetually cloaked would just lead to a TRIBBLE-ton of constantly cloaked B'Rels and T'Varos cruising around at 9-10km spamming torpedoes at ships that are unable to respond in any way.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    EBC is UP, plz buff
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I support that the fleet Birds of Prey should have the firing while cloaked option, though they have a MUCH longer reload than normal. And ofcourse it makes the Ionized gas torpedo that you can pick up in the tier 2 cruiser for the feds suddenly worth while!

Win-win right there.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    trycksh0t wrote: »
    An EBC that keeps the ship perpetually cloaked would just lead to a TRIBBLE-ton of constantly cloaked B'Rels and T'Varos cruising around at 9-10km spamming torpedoes at ships that are unable to respond in any way.
    I think this kind of attack would qualify more as "nuisance" than "health hazard", given what's already out there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2014

So don't worry im sure theyll release a ship or two later on for Klingons that have that ability.

Inb4ItsBuiltInwithNoConsoleSlotRequirement

The Mogh doesn't have Battle Cloak. You've been terribly, terribly misinformed some way, some how. The Mogh pretty much follows the line of Klingon Battle Cruiser format that has already been established in STO.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    trycksh0t wrote: »
    Question: would the 'new' EBC have the same mechanics as Cloaked Barrage? Such as only gaining maximum effect with a full singularity charge (probably not, there's no such thing for the B'rel), drain power from a subsystem when it wears off, only function for a period of time instead of being constantly active?

I could see a weapon power drain being a good drawback, and would make sense as the B'rel in the movie was seen only firing torpedoes. Maybe the power drain was too much to allow the firing of disruptors.

As far as your fear of cloaked T'varos and B'rels spamming torpedoes. Well that is pretty much what happens right now anyways, and players deal with it just fine. I have faith that most players will be able to handle it just fine if they tweak the B'rel back to its intended state also.